Rubyplot

Pranav Garg

May 16, 2018, 5:23:13 AM5/16/18
to SciRuby Development
Greetings Everyone,
Arafat and I have created a document that contains an updated timeline  and other details for the Dynamic and the static libraries. It can be found here.
Please go through it and let us know your thoughts about the same.

Regards
Pranav and Arafat

John Woods

May 16, 2018, 10:53:21 AM5/16/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
My only comment is something we haven't exactly talked about before directly.

We need to walk a narrow line between matplotlib compatibility and Ruby's principle of least astonishment (POLA) for those users who aren't as familiar with the matplotlib syntax.

For example, consider Axis#set_title(). You probably want to have that method for Python compatibility. However, Rubyists would expect you to use Ruby assignment syntax.

def title=(value)
  # ...
end

(You could probably just use an alias here.)

tl;dr:
  • For the most commonly used features, have the Python syntax available but prioritize POLA.
  • For less used features, do it the Ruby way. Don't tie yourself to matplotlib's design choices unless they're really good ones.
John