Preview/evaluation: Reality integration in SciRuby ecosystems

Victor Shepelev

Apr 24, 2016, 9:55:17 AM4/24/16
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys.

Last several monthes I developing a Reality: the thing kinda like "Wolfram integrated data", but for Ruby and using only open datasources. Here it is: https://github.com/molybdenum-99/reality -- Readme and wiki contain several useful examples of what it can. Things like this:

Argentina.population
# => #<Reality::Measure(43,417,000 person)>
Asia.countries.sample(3).load!.map(&:capital)
# => #<Reality::List[Hanoi?, Colombo?, Seoul?]>

...and so on.

Currently, I want to make it useful also in SciRuby context (faithfully, it was one of a primary targets from the very beginning). So, in iruby branch I've added some new features, and I'd be happy if all of you look at this demo notebook: https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/molybdenum-99/reality/blob/iruby/notebooks/Preview.ipynb and provide your opinions, suggestions and feature requests.

Thanks.

V.

Sameer Deshmukh

Apr 24, 2016, 12:44:39 PM4/24/16
to SciRuby Development
This is awesome!

Naoki had created a sample nyaplot notebook (http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/domitry/nyaplot/blob/master/examples/notebook/Mapnya.ipynb#Case2-:Fill-countries-in-different-colors), maybe we can now use reality for stuff like this?

Lokesh Sharma

Apr 24, 2016, 2:19:39 PM4/24/16
to SciRuby Development
Wow. It feels great. I can think of using it to gather data very easily for many tasks.

What open data sources does it uses?

Regards
Lokesh

Victor Shepelev

Apr 24, 2016, 2:54:44 PM4/24/16
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Sameer, yep, I think that it could and should easily be integrated with Nyaplot and other plotting tools of SciRuby. It's just a beginning of a looooong path :)

Victor Shepelev

Apr 24, 2016, 2:56:54 PM4/24/16
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Lokesh, currently it uses mostly Wikipedia (with our handmade parser for markup) and Wikidata (through its RDF/SPARQL interface), for most of the things. Plus OpenWeatherMap for weather, GeoNames for mapping coordinates to timezones, Quandl for some economical indicators. But my UberIdea for this thing is to make as much of open APIs accessible through Reality as theoretically possible. Next big target is OpenStreetMap for geographical data and queries.

Pjotr Prins

Apr 24, 2016, 3:50:04 PM4/24/16
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
To get bioinformaticians on board you may want to add some examples.

For biology EBI has great SPARQL end points:

https://www.ebi.ac.uk/rdf/

Bio2RDF is interesting but somewhat unreliable:

http://bio2rdf.org/

For diseases check out

http://www.disgenet.org/web/DisGeNET/menu/dbinfo

Then NCBI is also working on SPARQL end points.

RDF will be huge in biology.

Pj.

Victor Shepelev

Apr 28, 2016, 12:52:15 PM4/28/16
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Pjotr!

Those are very valuable links.

For now, I'm trying to do all the "perimeter" work, to establish solid framework of "easily accessible knowledge", but in a several monthes I'm definitely planning to go deeper on serious topics, and bioinformatics is important. I'm quite familiar with RDF and connected technologies, so the only problem for me would be integration of those things in consistend "everything-included" API.

For now, I'd be happy if others from SciRuby community could evaluate my work and possibilities of its integration into community's plans.

V.