[SpiceRub] Day 2

Gaurav Tamba

May 24, 2016, 7:04:50 PM5/24/16
to John Woods, Shaun Stewart, sciru...@googlegroups.com

Hello All,

Day 1 ended with me unable to get a extconf.rb working along with my home internet failing (Indians may be able to relate to BSNL summer woes, a 3G dongle is on the way (my mobile phone ISP doesn't get reasonable speeds in my home))

Today I was out of the city due to a family commitment and I returned home to find the internet as bad as ever and made little to no progress. To cover up this slack I will work a lot harder to meet this week's milestone WITHOUT FAIL but I request some time to get my issues sorted. I've switched over to writing specs but committing code / researching is a bit difficult with a 2G connection.

I will keep you all posted

Regards,
Gaurav

On 23 May 2016 6:39 p.m., "John Woods" <john.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think KernelHandler is okay. It's also probably allowable to do SpiceRub::Kernel, but I think the collision with ::Kernel could be confusing.

John

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 7:06 AM Shaun Stewart <sh...@intuitivemachines.com> wrote:
Is he concerned that KernalHandler may already be used by Ruby's core module?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 23, 2016, at 5:57 AM, Gaurav Tamba <gaurav...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 4:06:06 PM UTC+5:30, Victor Shepelev wrote:
Hi Gaurav

Congratulations about the start of the work!

Gem name looks ok to me.
Directory structure is not quite.
bin/ folder in gems, despite the name, is for executable files, not any binary libraries: those should strictly go to ext/.

And there is one more question about naming: "Kernel" from SPICE terminology have a collision with Ruby's core module, what are you planning to do about it?..

V.

Dear Mentors,

The repository is up at https://github.com/gau27/spicerub ! Looks a little bare right now but this week itself should see it filling up a lot.

First, a general question for everybody : What do you guys think of the name? I had considered RSpice but I like the sound of SpiceRub (does this make you smile positively or in a *shake your head* sort of way? :) ) In the immediate next few days it'd be easy to change the gem name so I'd love any better suggestions albeit soon.

I feel that it may be a bit unusual to have meaningful specs for Kernel loading functions right now, so I'll start with getting the extension glue working.

Is the current gem directory structure all right? Here's what I'm going for :-

/bin/cspice.a     [Main CSPICE binary linkable, distribution will be a problem for a later week]

Optionally, the above binary could be in /ext/include as some header files may be required during compile + link phases so placing them all in there would make sense instead of specifying different library paths.

/lib/spicerub      [Will contain the KernelHandler class and other Ruby classes]..
/lib/spicerub.rb  [Autoload all required files]

/ext/spicerub/extconf.rb [Generates the right makefile for compilation, playing with the best way to link this right now]

I'm thinking that the Ruby interface should be the only way to load Kernels since Kernels are tracked by global variables in CSPICE and there may be some complications if we enable more than one way of loading them due to thread safety, etc.

Regards,
Gaurav