[GSOC2018] [Rubyplot GR] [17-07-2018] Better Bar plots and Stacked plot graphs

Pranav Garg

Jul 17, 2018, 1:20:48 PM7/17/18
to Sameer Deshmukh, John Woods, Prasun Anand, Arafat Khan, SciRuby Mailing List
Greetings Everyone!
My Neuroscience summer school ended yesterday. Today I have worked on creating the Stacked Bar plots.

As visible from the image above, the stacked Bar plot takes in a list of colors as hex strings for different bar plots, I would like to replace the current color hashes (:red, :white, :green) with hex string. What are your thoughts on the same?

I also need to add a list of default colors that can be used in case the user does not provide a color list.
Also multiple plots in one diagram !!!

I will be in transit back to my hometown on 18th and 19th. I will try to push working candlestick graph before 20 (I have started working on it). Following that, I would like to work on implementing Subplots in the framework.
I would like to know the functionality that you think should be required in the library and the plots.
Regards
PG

Arafat Khan

Jul 17, 2018, 2:03:41 PM7/17/18
to Pranav Garg, Sameer Deshmukh, John Woods, Prasun Anand, SciRuby Mailing List
Hi Pranav,
These look amazing. Great work!!!

As for the colors, I haven't this myself yet but I think having hashes for a few standard colors(hardcoded) would be good along with the option to use a hex string if the user really wants a very specific color so the user can do that too. Just one small thing, can you have some sort of labeling/legends in the stacked bar plot.

Regards,
Arafat

Sameer Deshmukh

Jul 19, 2018, 4:51:12 AM7/19/18
to Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, John Woods, Prasun Anand, SciRuby Mailing List

I agree with Arafat. You can allow the user to specify :blue or "0000FF". Both should work. Having some predefined colors within your code should help.

Also, good work on the plots. Please push the common scripting layer specs to rubyplot/specs so that it is visible to all.

--
Regards,
Sameer Deshmukh

Master's degree student. Rio Yokota Lab.
Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan.

Twitter : @v0dro
GitHub: @v0dro
Blog: http://v0dro.in