Code reviews

Sameer Deshmukh

Jul 22, 2017, 8:44:22 PM7/22/17
to Prasun Anand, Athitya Kumar, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby GSOC Mentors, sciru...@googlegroups.com, SciRuby Mailing List, John Woods, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev, Lokesh Sharma
Hello students!

Its been a great summer so far with none of you missing your deadlines. We will now have a code review so that you'll know how you're progressing qualitatively.

Here's how the code reviews will work:

Each student will evaluate another student's code and jot down a brief report about the latter's code using the following parameters:
  • Code quality.
  • Adherence to deadlines (as per the latter's proposal)
  • Usability from a user's point of view.

We will then hold a video conference between students and mentors when each student will be asked to talk about the code that they have reviewed. This way you will get feedback on your code by someone who hasn't been evaluating your progress regularly and will get helpful pointers which we might have otherwise overlooked.

The code reviews will take place on the 24th (Monday) and 25th (Tuesday) and the conference will take place on the 26th (Wednesday). The time of the conference will be decided mutually.

For the purpose of this review, you are required to PUT DOWN ANY WORK YOU'RE DOING and focus only on reviews. This is during the GSOC evaluations period so you won't loose any time from your schedule.

The reviews will be conducted between the following students:

  • Prasun reviews Athithya's code.
  • Athithya reviews Shekhar's code.
  • Shekhar reviews Prasun's code.
Take note of this and feel free to ask us any questions that you might have. You can use Sunday for preparing and communicating with each other and getting to know where the other's students code is and how can you access their GSOC proposal for your review.

Regards,
Sameer Deshmukh

Athitya Kumar

Jul 23, 2017, 6:42:04 AM7/23/17
to Sameer Deshmukh, Prasun Anand, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby GSOC Mentors, sciru...@googlegroups.com, SciRuby Mailing List, John Woods, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev, Lokesh Sharma
Hey all.

Here are a few links that'd be helpful for reviewing daru-io.

- Collaborated timeline (after separation of daru-io and daru-view)

It'd be great if Prasun & Shekhar could send a few important links that'd help in code review. :-)

Meanwhile, I'd like to know if the code reviews to be simply jotted down across the next 2 days and expressed during the conference on 26th, or if they are to be recorded on GitHub (comment on Issue / PR / Commit) across the next 2 days as well.

Regards,
Athitya Kumar

Sameer Deshmukh

Jul 23, 2017, 6:52:20 AM7/23/17
to Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby GSOC Mentors, sciru...@googlegroups.com, SciRuby Mailing List, John Woods, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev, Lokesh Sharma
First all of you can jot down the issues that you face with regards to code quality, usability and deadlines. Once that is done, we'll have a discussion about the same during the conference after which you can open issues. There might be things that aren't actually bugs/fallacies which you can clarify during the conference.

Regards,
Sameer Deshmukh

Shekhar Prasad Rajak

Jul 23, 2017, 11:06:28 AM7/23/17
to SciRuby Development, sameer.d...@gmail.com, prasunan...@gmail.com, shekharr...@gmail.com, sciruby-gs...@googlegroups.com, sciru...@googlegroups.com, john.o...@gmail.com, pjotr...@gmail.com, zverok....@gmail.com, lokeshh...@gmail.com
Hello,

Links related to my work on daru-view :

* Documentation (I will improve it. You can try examples from the iruby notebook

Regards,
Shekhar

Sameer Deshmukh

Jul 24, 2017, 2:49:33 PM7/24/17
to Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby Development, Prasun Anand, SciRuby GSOC Mentors, sciru...@googlegroups.com, John Woods, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev, Lokesh Sharma
How was the first day of reviewed? Did you'll find anything interesting in each others code?

Regards,
Sameer Deshmukh

Shekhar Prasad Rajak

Jul 25, 2017, 5:23:08 AM7/25/17
to SciRuby Development, shekharr...@gmail.com, prasunan...@gmail.com, sciruby-gs...@googlegroups.com, sciru...@googlegroups.com, john.o...@gmail.com, pjotr...@gmail.com, zverok....@gmail.com, lokeshh...@gmail.com
Yes, we have installed and tried few examples. We are discussing about the issues, we faced.

--
Shekhar

Sameer Deshmukh

Jul 26, 2017, 9:27:48 AM7/26/17
to Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby Development, Prasun Anand, SciRuby GSOC Mentors, sciru...@googlegroups.com, John Woods, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev, Lokesh Sharma
Hello all,

Shekhar has had a medical emergency and hence he will be joining us at 7:30 pm IST (1400 UTC). In that regard, lets start the meeting at 7:15 PM IST so that we'll be done with Prasun's review until Shekhar joins.

Regards,
Sameer Deshmukh

Prasun Anand

Jul 26, 2017, 9:30:06 AM7/26/17