Looking for mentors for visualization projects

Carlos Agarie

Apr 16, 2015, 10:33:37 AM4/16/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

We need someone interested in mentoring a data visualization project for GSoC. You do need some time for talking about the project and helping the student every week.

The deadline for signing up is April 24th, so please, if you're interested, send me a message before that!

Thanks. :)

-----
Carlos Agarie
+55 11 97320-3878 | @carlos_agarie

Pjotr Prins

Apr 16, 2015, 11:22:01 AM4/16/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
The SciRuby Foundation got 5 slots from Google Summer of Code. We are
one mentor short and we are also looking for co-mentors for the other
projects. If you are interested in coaching some real talent and/or would
like to see some better visualisation for Ruby - this is the time.

Please react before the weekend, because we want to vet the student.
If no mentor pops up we will have to give the slot back to Google and
we will be one project down.

Pj.

John Woods

Apr 16, 2015, 12:22:10 PM4/16/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
I want to plug this one more time, shamelessly.

In 2012, the thing that Ruby lacked was a good matrix library. We've got two of those now — MDArray and NMatrix.

Today, in 2015, the thing Ruby lacks is robust visualization. We have like five libraries, but none of them are finished. I want to make plotting in Ruby as easy as it is in Python.

I've posted about this in the Ruby subreddit in hopes that someone there might step forward:

John

Cristian Messel

Apr 17, 2015, 4:34:12 AM4/17/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

My name is Messel Cristian and I would like to help with mentoring, but I am not sure I have the knowledge required for the job. Could you please give a link to the project?

I was a mentor for openSUSE a few years ago (total of 2 years: one year I didn't have a student). I have several contributions to open-source and I am familiar with the etiquette and expectations.

My GSoC announcement for openSUSE.

And I even have a small contribution to the Rails:

Could you fill me in on some details?

Thanks,
Cris

Pjotr Prins

Apr 17, 2015, 4:37:16 AM4/17/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Ask for becoming a mentor with the SciRuby foundation on

https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015

Thereafter we can add you and you'll get access to the proposals.

Pj.

Cristian Messel

Apr 17, 2015, 4:57:14 AM4/17/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Done. SciRuby is now a connected organization and I said that I want a role. I couldn't choose the role, I just selected yes. Waiting for approval.

Cristian Messel

Apr 17, 2015, 7:53:09 AM4/17/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I am connected. I am looking at the proposal list and started to get familiar with the gems.

It would be great if we can have a quick chat.