Windows, MFC, Scintilla and file watchers

Stephane Charette

Apr 12, 2017, 7:39:14 PM4/12/17
to scintilla-interest
Using Scintilla 3.7.3 on Windows in a legacy MFC app. When editing a text file using Scintilla, I would like to be told if the file is edited or deleted by an external process so my application can prompt the user to reload the content of the file into Scintilla.

I was looking at what may be that exact functionality in the class DocWatcher (src/Document.h). But DocWatcher, Editor, and ScintillaBase have pure virtuals. The only class which doesn't is ScintillaWin, but that class is not exposed in a .h file.

Are we (consumers of Scintilla) supposed to be inheriting from something like ScintillaWin or DocWatcher?

TIA,

Stéphane Charette

Neil Hodgson

Apr 13, 2017, 9:22:06 AM4/13/17
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com
Stephane Charette:

> When editing a text file using Scintilla, I would like to be told if the file is edited or deleted by an external process so my application can prompt the user to reload the content of the file into Scintilla.

Scintilla contains no file I/O functionality.

Neil