Re: [scintilla] Scintilla Website

Message has been deleted

KHMan

Jun 19, 2016, 4:34:39 AM6/19/16
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com
On 6/19/2016 6:10 AM, Gunner Palmgren wrote:
> I don't really know who to talk to about this, because no email address is available on scintilla.org, that I'm aware of, but if the owner(s) of the website would be interested in a redesign, I'd be willing to do it cheaply in order to build my portfolio. If this is counted as spam, I apologize in advance, it won't happen again. If the owner(s) of the scintilla.org is/are interested, however, please reply.

Neil Hodgson, the project leader of Scintilla, is traveling at the
moment. I am a list maintainer, an old-timer here.

IMHO the overwhelming priority of the website is long term
maintainability given limited manpower. (a) Scintilla is an edit
control, so the audience is developers, (b) SciTE is not really an
editor for beginners, so the website being simple is fine. The web
pages also doubles as documentation for Scintilla and SciTE.

There are many Scintilla-based editors, Notepad++ for instance,
and Notepad++ would be more aggressive in promoting itself. A lot
of the mailing list traffic here is about developing the edit
control and the editor. Although the Scintilla edit control is
widely used, we have limited manpower and are mainly focused on
development, coding etc.

I hope that gives an idea of why we have this kind of website.
It's like the sites of a lot of GNU software projects, for
instance. All developer-focused. I don't think a totally new
website is a good fit. Although we always welcome manpower,
contributions and documentation updates, your aim of making the
Scintilla website one item in your portfolio may not be such a
good fit. IMHO the priority is how we will maintain it over many
years.

Feel free to discuss this further. Neil will chime if he's at a
place with Internet connectivity.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)

Neil Hodgson

Jun 20, 2016, 12:18:49 AM6/20/16
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com
The main content of the web site is documentation for Scintilla and SciTE with a few links for downloads, fora, and related sites. It's unclear what the OP wants to do to improve the site. I'd be most open to scriptable changes so that the documentation is built from other sources including the code and scintilla.iface file. There are some proposals in the trackers for improvements in this area but it looks like serious work.

Scintilla and SciTE (except for the OS X version) are free and developed mostly by volunteers so paying for web design is unlikely.

Neil