Auto-save plugin for Zotero

Bryan Bishop

Jan 15, 2013, 12:01:05 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
Simon (Zotero maintainer) has pointed out a plugin for Zotero in
Firefox that automatically saves a document's metadata and the
attached pdf. Instead of pressing the save button, this plugin will
automatically save a record of the paper. This would be very easy to
re-purpose in fun ways.

https://github.com/rokondo/zotero-autotranslating

https://github.com/rokondo/zotero-autotranslating/blob/master/chrome/content/zoteroautotranslating/hello.js

git clone git://github.com/rokondo/zotero-autotranslating.git

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Piotr Migdal

Jan 15, 2013, 1:01:11 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
Also, maybe it is possible to make a button "send" when people can upload paper they have collected (from Zotero, Mendeley, etc).
The good thing is that metadata is already there, and the better - that we can start rapidly, with people uploading hundreds of papers with one click. And only later, one - on continuous basis.

What do you think about that?

Regards,
Piotr

Bryan Bishop

Jan 15, 2013, 1:03:16 PM1/15/13
to Piotr Migdal, Bryan Bishop, science-libe...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Piotr Migdal wrote:
> Also, maybe it is possible to make a button "send" when people can upload
> paper they have collected (from Zotero, Mendeley, etc).

How about making it automatic? Then we'll compile a few builds of
these programs, and let users download those instead of the official
releases.

Piotr Migdal

Jan 15, 2013, 1:09:13 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Piotr Migdal, Bryan Bishop

How about making it automatic? Then we'll compile a few builds of
these programs, and let users download those instead of the official
releases.

E.g. Mendeley is popular but not open-source. So it is possible to access it (via API, or via disk files (pdf + bibtex)) but not modify it, or make a custom version.

Moreover, baking custom version has the problem that it will require us to constantly update it, etc.
So, a small program, script or plugin sounds (at least - for me) as a better variant.

Moreover, it may be easier to persuade ("just download and click") than "well, replace your version with another one; which we don't guarantee that will work and not spoil your things". Especially as not all scientist are techies.

Regards,
Piotr

Piotr Migdal

Jan 15, 2013, 1:10:56 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Piotr Migdal, Bryan Bishop
(Silly remark: anyway, for the "guerrilla"  Zotero, a good name is "Zorrotero" ;))

Regards,
Piotr