NASA Statement on National Space Council

baa...@earthlink.net

Jun 30, 2017, 7:01:04 PM6/30/17
June 30, 2017
RELEASE 17-061

NASA Statement on National Space Council

The following is a statement from acting NASA Administrator Robert Lightfoot
about Friday's Executive Order creating the National Space Council:

"I am pleased that President Trump has signed an executive order reestablishing
the National Space Council. The council existed previously from 1989-1993,
and a version of it also existed as the National Aeronautics and Space
Council from 1958-1973. As such, the council has guided NASA from our
earliest days and can help us achieve the many ambitious milestones we
are striving for today.

"This high-level group advises the president and comprises the leaders
of government agencies with a stake in space, including the NASA administrator,
the Secretaries of State, Commerce, Defense, and others, and will be chaired
by Vice President Mike Pence. It will help ensure that all aspects of
the nation's space power -- national security, commerce, international
relations, exploration, and science, are coordinated and aligned to best
serve the American people. A Users' Advisory Group also will be convened
so that the interests of industries and other non-federal entities are
represented.

"The establishment of the council is another demonstration of the Trump
Administration's deep interest in our work, and a testament to the importance
of space exploration to our economy, our nation, and the planet as a whole."

-end-

Press Contacts

Jen Rae Wang
Headquarters, Washington