Delayed Shuttle Launch: WOULD YOU GO UP IN THIS THING NOW?

Kim Jong Eun

Nov 5, 2010, 3:34:54 PM11/5/10
Did'ja hear about the naked gal who backed into a spinning airplane
propeller?

Dis-ASSed her!

------------------------
"Fuel leak halts Friday launch of space shuttle"

By MARCIA DUNN
The Associated Press
Friday, November 5, 2010; 10:13 AM

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A potentially dangerous hydrogen gas leak
during fueling Friday caused yet another delay for space shuttle
Discovery's final voyage - possibly until the end of the month.

It was the latest and most serious problem to hit NASA's oldest and
most traveled shuttle over the past week.

Another launch attempt will not be made before Monday.

Midway through the fueling process Friday morning, hydrogen gas began
leaking from where a vent line attaches to the external fuel tank.
It's the same type of problem that forced delays for two shuttle
missions last year, and had not reoccurred since then.

Discovery's final mission already had been running four days late
because of technical and weather problems. The six astronauts had yet
to board the shuttle when launch director Mike Leinbach halted the
countdown two hours after fueling began.

Monday represents the last opportunity until the end of the month for
NASA to send the shuttle to the International Space Station with a
load of supplies and the first humanoid robot bound for orbit.
Otherwise, the flight will be off until Nov. 30 because of
unacceptable solar angles.

When it does launch, it will be the 39th and final flight of
Discovery. The shuttle first flew in 1984.

Leinbach said it will be a challenge to fix the problem by Monday, in
just three days, but he hopes the repair can be made quickly and the
shuttle launched.

"That's my hope. I'm not sure that's how it's going to turn out. But
that's the challenge that we've put out to the team," he said.

Last year, a minimum of four days was needed to replace the leaky
parts. The leak was considered serious because hydrogen gas is
flammable. Friday's leak was the biggest one yet.

Friday was the closest NASA had come to launching Discovery on this
mission and the veteran crew of astronauts led by commander Steven
Lindsey. News of the leak came as a huge disappointment.

All morning, until the leak erupted, the words "Go Discovery" echoed
from the firing room, as well as up at the space station, where six
astronauts eagerly awaited the shuttle's arrival.

"The Space Shuttle Discovery awaits release on her final voyage. We'll
be watching closely," station commander Douglas Wheelock wrote in a
Twitter update.

Thursday's launch attempt was thwarted by stormy weather. Three
previous delays were caused by helium and nitrogen gas leaks and a
sluggish circuit breaker. Monday was the original launch date.

The space agency will close out its 30-year-old shuttle program next
year. Endeavour is set to lift off at the end of February. Atlantis
may make one extra flight next summer, but Washington has yet to
provide the money for it.

The White House has instructed NASA to shift its focus from launching
astronauts into orbit, to sending them to asteroids and Mars. Given
the budget limitations, the space agency can achieve that only by
giving up the costly shuttle program.

---

Online: NASA:http://www.nasa.gov/mission-pages/shuttle/main/index.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/05/AR2010110501337.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Kim Jong Eun

Nov 5, 2010, 6:50:36 PM11/5/10

PearlNecklace

Nov 5, 2010, 7:04:44 PM11/5/10
Or how 'bout ... this scumbag?

http://boingboing.net/images/x09/scalia.jpg

Brian Gaff

Nov 7, 2010, 3:44:27 AM11/7/10
Of course, now Lego are on the case it will be fine, just make sure the lego
is the new fire retardent kind.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff - bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
in the display name may be lost.
"Kim Jong Eun" <perry...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Pat Flannery

Nov 7, 2010, 10:47:54 PM11/7/10
On 11/7/2010 12:44 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Of course, now Lego are on the case it will be fine, just make sure the lego
> is the new fire retardent kind.

Yes, many catastrophes could have been prevented if Lego blocks had been
fire retardant from day one rather than being originally manufactured
out of cellulose plastic and setting fire to Danish houses when candles
from the Christmas tree set them alight.
In seconds Christmas joy turned to unbelievable horror for the children
of Copenhagen as their Christmas gift incinerated their house. ;-)
"The Night Of The Great Burning" ("Natten Til Den Store Br�ndende") is
still remembered in Denmark by its survivors, who have established a
mutual support group to deal with the psychological effects of their
childhood trauma and continuing deep fear of any small rectangular
plastic objects. ;-)
BTW, this pure brilliance; the whole Bible illustrated via Lego blocks:
http://www.thebricktestament.com/

Pat

snidely

Nov 27, 2010, 9:02:00 PM11/27/10
I don't think I'll take it for a spin until Dec 17.

/dps

hal...@aol.com

Nov 27, 2010, 9:48:46 PM11/27/10
On Nov 27, 9:02 pm, snidely <snidely....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think I'll take it for a spin until Dec 17.
>
> /dps

I seriously wonder what nasa would do if a astronaut backed out near
flight time?

many people get feelings about future events, that frequently are
correct.

if a astronaut had a preminition, or a close family member like a
spouse convinced a astronaut to opt out wonder what would happen??

Brian Thorn

Nov 28, 2010, 1:16:56 PM11/28/10
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 18:48:46 -0800 (PST), "hal...@aol.com"
<hal...@aol.com> wrote:

>I seriously wonder what nasa would do if a astronaut backed out near
>flight time?

They'd replace him or her with an astronaut with recent flight
experience, from the previous Shuttle flight or the one before that
most likely.

Brian

Message has been deleted

Pat Flannery

Nov 29, 2010, 1:09:54 AM11/29/10
On 11/28/2010 10:16 AM, Brian Thorn wrote:

> They'd replace him or her with an astronaut with recent flight
> experience, from the previous Shuttle flight or the one before that
> most likely.

That would be a public relations disaster if it were to occur.

Pat

Jeff Findley

Nov 29, 2010, 9:09:37 AM11/29/10
In article <ebe95650-91ef-4f30-a4e4-
7f0593...@o14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, hal...@aol.com says...

> On Nov 27, 9:02 pm, snidely <snidely....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't think I'll take it for a spin until Dec 17.
> >
> > /dps
>
> I seriously wonder what nasa would do if a astronaut backed out near
> flight time?

This has occasionally happened in the past. With shuttle crews, an
alternate gets to fly. NASA has no shortage of trained astronauts ready
to fly.

> many people get feelings about future events, that frequently are
> correct.

What in the heck are you babbling on about?

> if a astronaut had a preminition, or a close family member like a
> spouse convinced a astronaut to opt out wonder what would happen??

This is complete and utter drivel.

Jeff
--
42

Jeff Findley

Nov 29, 2010, 9:10:27 AM11/29/10
In article
<Z9qdnTBDGtoMum7R...@posted.northdakotatelephone>,
fla...@daktel.com says...

Why? It's not like the US public actually cares about manned
spaceflight.

Jeff
--
42

bob haller safety advocate

Nov 29, 2010, 3:25:14 PM11/29/10
> > many people get feelings about future events, that frequently are
> > correct.
>
> What in the heck are you babbling on about?
>
> > if a astronaut had a preminition, or a close family member like a
> > spouse convinced a astronaut to opt out wonder what would happen??
>
> This is complete and utter drivel.
>
> Jeff

call it whatever you like but some people do get feelings about future
events, a old girl friend was like that and highly reliablke

unfortunately on zero value for gambling or winning lottery.....

Jeff Findley

Nov 29, 2010, 3:45:07 PM11/29/10
In article <e4017c65-af64-4ae1-9082-255db8dd9f87
@j32g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, hal...@aol.com says...

> > > many people get feelings about future events, that frequently are
> > > correct.
> >
> > What in the heck are you babbling on about?
> >
> > > if a astronaut had a preminition, or a close family member like a
> > > spouse convinced a astronaut to opt out wonder what would happen??
> >
> > This is complete and utter drivel.
>
> call it whatever you like but some people do get feelings about future
> events, a old girl friend was like that and highly reliablke

I'll go out on a limb and guess that she has never been and will never
be an astronaut.

> unfortunately on zero value for gambling or winning lottery.....

Yea, these things rather conveniently fail to work when money is
involved, don't they? Well, other than when someone is unfortunate
enough to give such a "gifted" person money for their "services".

Jeff
--
42

bob haller safety advocate

Nov 29, 2010, 6:18:05 PM11/29/10
On Nov 29, 3:45 pm, Jeff Findley <jeff.find...@ugs.nojunk.com> wrote:
> In article <e4017c65-af64-4ae1-9082-255db8dd9f87
> @j32g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, hall...@aol.com says...

laugh all you want, but I have experienced this more than once.

Its wierd, but theres a connection between what is and whats going to
be. although its not available on demand...

no doubt some here know what i am talking about although they may not
admit it.......

like the coincidence that all nasa manned accidents date till late
january, including apollo 13 launched at 13 13....

when you stop laughing prove me wrong....

GordonD

Nov 30, 2010, 11:13:36 AM11/30/10
"bob haller safety advocate" <hal...@aol.com> wrote in message

> like the coincidence that all nasa manned accidents date till late
> january, including apollo 13 launched at 13 13....

In April.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

s_d...@ludens.elte.hu

Nov 30, 2010, 11:22:03 AM11/30/10
In article <f391f2c7-d5ef-4d35...@y23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, bob haller safety advocate <hal...@aol.com> writes:

> On Nov 29, 3:45=A0pm, Jeff Findley <jeff.find...@ugs.nojunk.com> wrote:
>> In article <e4017c65-af64-4ae1-9082-255db8dd9f87
>> @j32g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, hall...@aol.com says...

>> > call it whatever you like but some people do get feelings about future
>> > events, a old girl friend was like that and highly reliablke
>>
>> I'll go out on a limb and guess that she has never been and will never
>> be an astronaut. =A0

>> > unfortunately on zero value for gambling or winning lottery.....
>>
>> Yea, these things rather conveniently fail to work when money is
>> involved, don't they? =A0Well, other than when someone is unfortunate

>> enough to give such a "gifted" person money for their "services".
>>
>> Jeff
>> --
>> 42
>
> laugh all you want, but I have experienced this more than once.

Yes, when you only remember the cases when it worked, it seems like that,
isn't it? Or did you make some statistics about right/wrong prophecies?

> Its wierd, but theres a connection between what is and whats going to
> be. although its not available on demand...

I know it's weird, but I can make a prediction wether the sun will come up next
morning or not, with a pretty good accuracy.

> like the coincidence that all nasa manned accidents date till late
> january, including apollo 13 launched at 13 13....

I guess you mean that Columbia was STS-107, and 107= 13* (1+0+7) + 1*3,
It launched on January 16=13+1*3, it was destroyed on "February 1 2003",
and you need 13 characters to write this date, the flight director declared a
contingency at 9:12:39, guess what 9*1-2-3+9 is? Yes, it's 13.
And some think it's all just coincidence....
How could they miss this? It was obvious from the beginning.

Anyway, they were pretty lucky, the astronauts on apollo13.

> when you stop laughing prove me wrong....

You are the one makeing a claim, you should present the proof.

Greetings,
d.

Jeff Findley

Nov 30, 2010, 12:36:54 PM11/30/10
In article <f391f2c7-d5ef-4d35-a943-37a9dff8da75
@y23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, hal...@aol.com says...

> like the coincidence that all nasa manned accidents date till late
> january, including apollo 13 launched at 13 13....

From the NASM website:

The Apollo 13 mission was launched at 2:13 p.m. EST, April 11,
1970 from launch complex 39A at Kennedy Space Center.

Jeff
--
42

JF Mezei

Nov 30, 2010, 1:57:46 PM11/30/10
s_d...@ludens.elte.hu wrote:

> I know it's weird, but I can make a prediction wether the sun will come up next
> morning or not, with a pretty good accuracy.

Not as good as you think. Your statement depends on accurate weater
predictions. If it is very cloudy, you will not be able to prove that
the sun actually came up.

Verifiability is important in such cases.

JF Mezei

Nov 30, 2010, 2:01:39 PM11/30/10
Jeff Findley wrote:

> From the NASM website:
>
> The Apollo 13 mission was launched at 2:13 p.m. EST, April 11,
> 1970 from launch complex 39A at Kennedy Space Center.

Were there any orbital mechanics considerations which dictated launch
times when going to the moon ?

After reaching earth orbit speed, how long before they would fire up the
engnes to head for the moon ? Within first orbit once properly aligned
? Stayed a few hours to check everything ? Stayed a day ?

Jeff Findley

Nov 30, 2010, 2:06:18 PM11/30/10
In article <4cf5492b$0$2167$c3e8da3$c8b7...@news.astraweb.com>,
jfmezei...@vaxination.ca says...

There are many other ways to verify that the sun actually "came up".

Even in very cloudy weather, ambient light during the day is greater
than at night.

Tides would change if the sun didn't rise.

Also, there are many satellites which monitor the earth and sun which
could easily verify both are in their correct location and (in the case
of earth) orientation to cause the sun to come up.

And finally, in TV game-show fashion, you could always "phone a friend"
at a less cloudy location and ask them if they could verify that the sun
"came up". :-)

Jeff
--
42

Jeff Findley

Nov 30, 2010, 2:15:03 PM11/30/10
In article <4cf54a14$0$14059$c3e8da3$b613...@news.astraweb.com>,
jfmezei...@vaxination.ca says...

> Jeff Findley wrote:
>
> > From the NASM website:
> >
> > The Apollo 13 mission was launched at 2:13 p.m. EST, April 11,
> > 1970 from launch complex 39A at Kennedy Space Center.
>

> Were there any orbital mechanics considerations which dictated launch
> times when going to the moon ?

There were many considerations.

> After reaching earth orbit speed, how long before they would fire up
the
> engnes to head for the moon ? Within first orbit once properly aligned
> ? Stayed a few hours to check everything ? Stayed a day ?

This is all a matter of public record.

Apollo 13 Lunar Surface Journal
http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a13/

Jeff
--
42

bob haller safety advocate

Nov 30, 2010, 4:21:04 PM11/30/10
On Nov 30, 2:15 pm, Jeff Findley <jeff.find...@ugs.nojunk.com> wrote:
> In article <4cf54a14$0$14059$c3e8da3$b6136...@news.astraweb.com>,
> jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca says...

you can all laugh all you like but check out Edgar Mitchell, he walked
on the moon and belives in stuff like this.

Brian Thorn

Nov 30, 2010, 6:34:22 PM11/30/10
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 22:09:54 -0800, Pat Flannery <fla...@daktel.com>
wrote:

>> They'd replace him or her with an astronaut with recent flight
>> experience, from the previous Shuttle flight or the one before that
>> most likely.
>
>That would be a public relations disaster if it were to occur.

Only if they announce why he was replaced. We've already had Jack
Swigert replace Ken Mattingly on Apollo 13 a week before launch.

Brian

Pat Flannery

Nov 30, 2010, 10:08:50 PM11/30/10
On 11/30/2010 3:34 PM, Brian Thorn wrote:

> Only if they announce why he was replaced. We've already had Jack
> Swigert replace Ken Mattingly on Apollo 13 a week before launch.

Word of why he didn't fly would spread fast and far if no logical
explanation were given, and the fact NASA didn't say why he didn't go up
would look very bad once the story broke.
Then someone would offer him a deal to write a book or be on TV shows,
and that would look even worse once it happened.
In Mattingly's case he wanted to do the flight but the exposure to
measles grounded him, much to his disappointment.

Pat

bob haller safety advocate

Dec 1, 2010, 8:34:30 AM12/1/10
> >> They'd replace him or her with an astronaut with recent flight
> >> experience, from the previous Shuttle flight or the one before that
> >> most likely.
>
> >That would be a public relations disaster if it were to occur.
>
> Only if they announce why he was replaced. We've already had Jack
> Swigert replace Ken Mattingly on Apollo 13 a week before launch.
>
> Brian

Didnt NASA say after mattingly astronauts would only be replaced in
groups? at least during the apollo era

Brian Thorn

Dec 2, 2010, 8:27:39 PM12/2/10
On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 05:34:30 -0800 (PST), bob haller safety advocate
<hal...@aol.com> wrote:

>Didnt NASA say after mattingly astronauts would only be replaced in
>groups? at least during the apollo era

I think so, but that changed in the Shuttle era after the Orbital
Flight Test program when NASA no longer had backup crews.
David Griggs and Sonny Carter were both replaced on Shuttle crews
after their deaths.

Brian

Brian Thorn

Dec 2, 2010, 8:29:45 PM12/2/10
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:21:04 -0800 (PST), bob haller safety advocate
<hal...@aol.com> wrote:

>you can all laugh all you like but check out Edgar Mitchell, he walked
>on the moon and belives in stuff like this.

After Lisa Nowak, being an astronaut clearly does not prove one is of
sound mind.

Brian

bob haller safety advocate

Dec 3, 2010, 10:40:51 PM12/3/10
On Dec 2, 8:29 pm, Brian Thorn <bthor...@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:21:04 -0800 (PST), bob haller safety advocate
>
> <hall...@aol.com> wrote:
> >you can all laugh all you like but check out Edgar Mitchell, he walked
> >on the moon and belives in stuff like this.
>
> After Lisa Nowak, being an astronaut clearly does not prove one is of
> sound mind.
>
> Brian

werent the apollo era astronauts a far different breed?

hal...@aol.com

Dec 5, 2010, 5:15:52 PM12/5/10
> In Mattingly's case he wanted to do the flight but the exposure to
> measles grounded him, much to his disappointment.
>
> Pat

given what happened to apollo 13 he was lucky and didnt he get to go
to the moon later?

Jeff Findley

Dec 6, 2010, 9:04:07 AM12/6/10
In article <6b7ed1a7-b695-45ee-a582-2c87a4f097c4
@n10g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, hal...@aol.com says...

> On Dec 2, 8:29 pm, Brian Thorn <bthor...@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:21:04 -0800 (PST), bob haller safety advocate
> >
> > <hall...@aol.com> wrote:
> > >you can all laugh all you like but check out Edgar Mitchell, he walked
> > >on the moon and belives in stuff like this.
> >
> > After Lisa Nowak, being an astronaut clearly does not prove one is of
> > sound mind.
>
> werent the apollo era astronauts a far different breed?

Yes. Apollo era astronauts were mostly test pilots, and most of those
were either pulled straight from the military, or had prior military
service. Once the shuttle program started, the astronaut corps needed
more than just test pilots. Sure on every flight you need a pilot and
commander (i.e. still test pilot type job requirements), but you also
needed mission specialists who more likely had multiple masters degrees
in things like engineering, biology, astronomy, and etc. Those new
astronauts were less likely to be (ex)military or even pilots.

Jeff
--
42