More Anecdote Equals More Anecdote

James McGinn

Mar 11, 2016, 5:12:08 PM3/11/16
Report not abuse
RTB:
Jim, Glider pilots know the difference between thermals convecting over sunlit dry ground (but not over deep water) and updraughts caused by escarpment edges etc. From those observations, we build up our knowledge.

JM:
There are no mountains over the oceans, which are essential to the consistent, upmoving air necessary for glider pilots. And updrafts at sea are commonly observed, as in storms. Observation is one leg of scientific process. Obviously, glider pilots have no basis to identify "convection." They just assume it. Like yours, my hypothesis predicts updrafts will increase on warm days, especially afternoons. So the observation doesn't distinguish between our competing hypotheses.

Surely, you are not suggesting mountains cause jet streams. So, lateral winds, jet streams, storms are all evidence the movement of air in the atmosphere is not explicable solely with reference to convection. These are the issues you sidestep so effortlessly, as do all meteorologists. Jet streams can explain lateral winds. And you have no basis for eliminating jet streams as cause of storms, both at sea and on land. Convection is just a label put on storms-more anecdote. Tell us how convection explains jet streams. Even using anecdote you won't touch that explanation with a ten foot pole. Will you, Roger?

Also, like that of meteorology, my hypothesis predicts moisture as a factor in the updrafts (a big part of which involves the fact that warmer air has a higher capacity to absorb moisture). And my hypothesis is complimentary to and complimented by the existence of jet streams. Yours can only dismiss/ignore them. (Pity that.)

With my hypothesis the energy originates from above. In yours the energy comes from below. It is very hard to decisively detect the origins of the energy, especially when it comes from above. (And it is even harder to control the creative imaginations of the people that wish to believe it comes from below.) This makes it difficult to distinguish between the competing hypotheses. However, there are other criteria we can employ to distinguish between whether the energy comes from above or below (and, thereby, distinguish between our competing hypotheses). Such an approach (which I will not present here) would forego your over-reliance on the anecdotal observations of glider jockeys. And that's a good thing, doncha think? Shirley, you recognize the probitive value of such and why we would expect those that have formed emotional attachments to their imagined scenarios to feel threatened by this kind of empiricism--possibly including yourself.

People tend to be convinced by anecdote, as you are doing here. And they think, more anecdote equals knowledge. Actually, more anecdote just equals more anecdote.

James McGinn

Mar 17, 2016, 2:26:20 AM3/17/16
Report not abuse

James McGinn

Mar 24, 2016, 6:25:37 AM3/24/16
Report not abuse

James McGinn

Apr 16, 2016, 10:19:19 PM4/16/16
Report not abuse

James McGinn

May 15, 2016, 7:27:55 PM5/15/16
Report not abuse

James McGinn

Jul 30, 2016, 6:06:22 PM7/30/16
Report not abuse

James McGinn

Aug 7, 2016, 8:33:55 PM8/7/16

James McGinn

Sep 19, 2016, 2:21:46 PM9/19/16

noTthaTguY

Sep 22, 2016, 4:19:27 PM9/22/16
if you are not anectodtally,
I don't know the meaning of anecdotsism;
one has to include a)
the fusion within rrth, and b)
teh fission within rrth

noTthaTguY

Sep 24, 2016, 7:16:20 PM9/24/16
evidence for fusion is the ratio of He3 to He4,
over the midocean rifts

James McGinn

Nov 5, 2016, 3:04:54 PM11/5/16

James McGinn