Xnews is a "good choice" for those who...

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 17, 2014, 2:23:01 PM4/17/14

Whiskers replied to Andres, to wit:
//  > I'm on Xnews right now, I think I'll stick with it for my Windows
//  > partition and use slrn on my Fedora partition instead. Thanks to
//  > everyone for all the help.
//
//  Good choice  :))

Xnews is a "good choice" for those who
(can't|won't) (read|write) (Unicode|HTML).

HTML is good because, with the <PRE> tag,
you get a monospaced font ( for indenting ),
instead of the default (proportional) font.

As an added benefit, noobs can't read it.

Sir Gregory Hall

Apr 18, 2014, 9:00:59 AM4/18/14
Jeff-Relf.Me <@.> wrote in

> Xnews is a "good choice" for those who
> (can't|won't) (read|write) (Unicode|HTML).

XNews is also good in that it displays X-Face.

When are you going to code your home-rolled
client to it, too, can display X-Face?

> HTML is good because, with the &lt;PRE> tag,
> you get a monospaced font ( for indenting ),
> instead of the default (proportional) font.

More folks should use HTML on Usenet. Too bad
some of the free NSP admins work so hard to
keep Usenet in the Dark Ages!

> As an added benefit, noobs can't read it.

Fuck all the Google Groups Noobs. If the free
NSP admins really wanted to do something
positive for Usenet they would filter out
all Google Groups posts.

--
Sir Gregory

mike hunt

Apr 18, 2014, 12:45:27 PM4/18/14
Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:

> Xnews is a "good choice" for those who
> (can't|won't) (read|write) (Unicode|HTML).

HTML in text groups? Fuck that.

chrisv

Apr 18, 2014, 1:01:36 PM4/18/14
mike hunt wrote:

>Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:

*plonk*

Jesse

Apr 18, 2014, 2:05:23 PM4/18/14
Sir Gregory Hall wrote:
> Jeff-Relf.Me<@.> wrote in
>
>> Xnews is a "good choice" for those who
>> (can't|won't) (read|write) (Unicode|HTML).
>
> XNews is also good in that it displays X-Face.
>
> When are you going to code your home-rolled
> client to it, too, can display X-Face?
>
>> HTML is good because, with the&lt;PRE> tag,
>> you get a monospaced font ( for indenting ),
>> instead of the default (proportional) font.
>
> More folks should use HTML on Usenet. Too bad
> some of the free NSP admins work so hard to
> keep Usenet in the Dark Ages!

I don't really care one way or the other, but if its important to anyone
to be able to use HTML on USENET perhaps you all need to start working
on new/updated RFCs. Wait. None of you have the smarts to do that or
even contribute to the process.

chrisv

Apr 18, 2014, 2:27:07 PM4/18/14
Jesse wrote:

>I don't really care one way or the other, but if its important to anyone
>to be able to use HTML on USENET perhaps you all need to start working
>on new/updated RFCs. Wait. None of you have the smarts to do that or
>even contribute to the process.

+1

--
"It has been shown time and time again that consumers dont want/need
Linux." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

Snit

Apr 18, 2014, 2:32:22 PM4/18/14
On 4/18/14, 11:27 AM, in article 5ir2l9hjrf4h17gep...@4ax.com,
"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Jesse wrote:
>
>> I don't really care one way or the other, but if its important to anyone
>> to be able to use HTML on USENET perhaps you all need to start working
>> on new/updated RFCs. Wait. None of you have the smarts to do that or
>> even contribute to the process.
>
> +1

It really comes down to him just being completely ignorant about Usenet.

--
* Mint MATE: Trash, Panel, Menu: <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE>
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? <http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA>

Message has been deleted

chrisv

Apr 18, 2014, 2:56:29 PM4/18/14
Mr On!on wrote:
> Hooray!

Yeah, the Relf sociopath is on the short list of trolls who are so
worthless that I will plonk people just for responding to him.

--
"90% and more of the worlds businesses use Windows desktops. probably
about 95% of the home desktops run Windows if not more. Why? It works

mike hunt

Apr 18, 2014, 4:43:47 PM4/18/14
..................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

mike hunt

Apr 18, 2014, 4:44:38 PM4/18/14
chrisv wrote:
> Mr On!on wrote:
>
>> chrisv wrote:

>>> *plonk*
>>
>> Hooray!
>
> Yeah, the Relf sociopath is on the short list of trolls who are so
> worthless that I will plonk people just for responding to him.

Keep your whining to yourself, chrissy.

mike hunt

Apr 18, 2014, 4:47:31 PM4/18/14
Mr On!on wrote:
> Hooray!

Hair Onion says what?

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Apr 18, 2014, 5:34:16 PM4/18/14
On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:05:23 -0500, Jesse
<jesse....@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

>I don't really care one way or the other, but if its important to anyone
>to be able to use HTML on USENET perhaps you all need to start working
>on new/updated RFCs. Wait. None of you have the smarts to do that or
>even contribute to the process.

I think Jeff Relf could write a better version of the
RFCs than the incoherent mess that exists now.

--
Sir Gregory

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Apr 18, 2014, 5:36:04 PM4/18/14
Yup, he's such a freaking lightweight!

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 18, 2014, 7:42:27 PM4/18/14

mike hunt ( a.k.a. Mike Hunt ), different fonts
have different widths for different characters;
so your "ASCII Art" needs a monospaced font.

Likewise "Plain Text Tables" need a monospaced font.
The way to do that, when posting on Usenet or emailing,
is to use the <PRE> tag, HTML.

The morons who (can't|won't) (read|write) (Unicode|HTML)
are illiterate, I think.

         / \
        |\_/|                          ___________    ____
        |---|                   ______/   \__//   \__/____\
        |   |                 _/   \_/  :           //____\\
        |   |                /|      :  :  ..      /        \
      _ |=-=| _             | |     ::     ::      \        /
  _  / \|   |/ \            | |     :|     ||     \ \______/
 / \|   |   |   ||\         | |     ||     ||      |\  /  |
|   |   |   |   | \>         \|     ||     ||      |   / | \
|   |   |   |   |   \         |     ||     ||      |  / /_\ \
| -   -   -   - |)   )        | ___ || ___ ||      | /  /    \
|                   /          \_-_/  \_-_/ | ____ |/__/      \
 \                 /                        _\_--_/    \      /
  \               /                        /____             /
   \             /                        /     \           /
    \           /                         \______\_________/
     |         |
                          .
                       .  !\  _
                       l\/ ( /(_
                      _ \`--" _/ .
                      \~")   (_,/)
                      _)/.   ,\,/
             _____,-"~    \ /   "~"-._____
         ,-~"     "~-.  .  "  .  ,-~"     "~-.
       ,^             ^. `. .' ,^             ^.
      /                 \  ^  /                 \
     Y___________________Y   Y___________________Y
     | |^~"|^   _ ^|"~^| |   | |"~"|^ _   ^|"~"| |
     | !   l   (_) !   ! l   | !   l (_)   !   ! |
     l  \  `\.___,/'  /  !   l  \  `\.___,/'  /  !
      \  ^.         ,^  /!   !\  ^.         ,^  /
       ^.  ~-------~  ,^\`v-v'/^.  ~-------~  ,^
       _)~-._______,-~   }---{   ~-._______,-~(_
  .--"~           ,-^7' /     \ `Y^-,           ~"--.
 /               (_,/ ,/'     `\. \._)    ___        \
 \_____.,--"~~~"--..,__        ___,..--<"~   ~"-.,___/
     / (    __,--~ _.._""~~~~"" ,-"  "-.`\     /~.-"
     `._"--~_,.--"~    \       /        \ `---' /
        "~""            \     /          "-.__,/
                        `L   ]'
                         l   !
                         j___L              -Row
                        (_____)
                         |   |

Jeßus

Apr 18, 2014, 9:58:39 PM4/18/14
On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 12:01:36 -0500, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>mike hunt wrote:
>
>>Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:
>
>*plonk*

I'm sure he's just devastated by your plonking.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 18, 2014, 10:46:47 PM4/18/14
Speaking of me, @Jeßus told @chrisv:
> I'm sure he's just devastated by your plonking.

I like it, free publicity.

Also, I like how he keeps track of
everyone who replies to me.

Richard Starkey

Apr 19, 2014, 12:19:54 AM4/19/14
You need to worry about a visit from the Feds. Just a heads up your ass asshole.

Have you and Lloyd fucked each other yet?

Neal Warren is a scumbag, and anyone who takes anything he says seriously has probably had some brain trauma. Nellie is a FUCKING PERVERT, LIAR, RACIST, and general SHITHOLE.

Why don't you tell everyone how many providers have BOOTED your sorry little ass off for policy violations...

You fucking cocksucking little squirt. Someone is going to pay you a visit. Heads up asshole.

Criminal, pedo, scumbag, usenet freak. Shits in his bunk.

Making sure everyone knows you have a little limp dick and a puke yellow boat that smells like shit, not to mention your lack of education.

Capt...@gmail.com

Neal D. Warren/Wilbur Hubbard/Gregory Hall
PO Box 1015
Tavernier, FL 33070
305 304-7546

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 19, 2014, 1:22:36 AM4/19/14

Steve⋅Carroll,  You told @shit:
> > It really comes down to him just being completely ignorant about Usenet.
>
> Much as you are ignorant of web design but claim to be a professional.

I study Usenet clients/servers, it's my hobby.
23 years ago, 1991, I wrote my first newsreader.
Today's version:

  http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.CPP
  http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.PNG
  http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.HTM

What does @shit have that compares, I ask.
What's wrong with the <PRE> tag ( HTML ) ? !
Without it, your posts aren't monospaced, usually.

DirectX 11.1, on Windows 8,
in mindblowingly -fast- !

http://Jeff-Relf.Me/DirectX.CPP
Visual C++ 2013, is a small (one-file) example of how to:
-- Use DirectX 11.1, Direct2D 1.1, DirectWrite, and Direct3D.
-- Replace DirectDraw/GDI+, etc.
-- Draw to a back buffer at a high fps (frames per second).
-- Draw properly scaled/smoothed .JPG files, hardware accelerated.
-- Draw to/from/within bitmaps.
-- Discover if a font exists or not ("FindFamilyName()").
-- Discover if a glyph exists in a font ("HasCharacter()").
-- Discover the width/height of a glyph ("GlyphWH()").

Note: This code needs Windows 8 or later.
ScreenShot (4K/UHD): http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Glyph.JPG

mike hunt

Apr 19, 2014, 7:11:13 AM4/19/14
Sure I am, but not as butthurt as chrissy
is about Jeff.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 19, 2014, 1:34:03 PM4/19/14

Micha,  I see your flnews.
http://micha.freeshell.org/flnews/screenshots/flnews-0.5_german.png

I study Usenet clients/servers, it's my hobby.
23 years ago, 1991, I wrote my first newsreader.
Today's version:  http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.CPP
  http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.PNG  http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.HTM

Most people want a proportional font,
and, indeed that's what most newsreaders give them,
by default... same as email.

Usenet and email are -very- similar.
If you don't specify <PRE> ( HTML ),
chances are, people will see a proportional font.

<PRE> is one tag, 5 letters -- that's it, nothing else.
You don't need -any- other tags, no
"mess on the screens of people who can't decode it".

Those who (can't|won't) (read|write) (Unicode|HTML)
are illiterate, I think.  I prefer the smarter ones.

Snit

Apr 19, 2014, 1:44:34 PM4/19/14
On 4/19/14, 10:34 AM, in article Jeff-R...@Apr.19{10.34.Seattle.2014},
I sincerely hope you someday understand how to use Usenet correctly.
Message has been deleted

Snit

Apr 19, 2014, 1:52:38 PM4/19/14
On 4/19/14, 10:46 AM, in article
1lkd5gm.1r60cx815vpw8rN%sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk, "Sn!pe"
<sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/19/14, 10:34 AM, in article Jeff-R...@Apr.19{10.34.Seattle.2014},
>> "Jeff-Relf.Me" <@.> wrote:
>
> [nonsense deleted]
>
>>> Those who (can't|won't) (read|write) (Unicode|HTML)
>>> are illiterate, I think. I prefer the smarter ones.
>>>
>> I sincerely hope you someday understand how to use Usenet correctly.
>
> Don't hold your breath, Snit.

Of course not. :)

benj

Apr 19, 2014, 1:54:02 PM4/19/14
Rolf you are still an idiot. Using a large font won't make you any
smarter nor does posting to USENET cure mental illness.

You are still a moron. Plonk.

benj

Apr 19, 2014, 1:56:41 PM4/19/14
On 04/19/2014 01:44 PM, Snit wrote:
> On 4/19/14, 10:34 AM, in article Jeff-R...@Apr.19{10.34.Seattle.2014},
> "Jeff-Relf.Me" <@.> wrote:
>

>> Micha, I see your flnews.
>> http://micha.freeshell.org/flnews/screenshots/flnews-0.5_german.png
>>
>> I study Usenet clients/servers, it's my hobby.
>> 23 years ago, 1991, I wrote my first newsreader.
>> Today's version: http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.CPP
>> http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.PNG http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.HTM
>>
>> Most people want a proportional font,
>> and, indeed that's what most newsreaders give them,
>> by default... same as email.
>>
>> Usenet and email are -very- similar.
>> If you don't specify <PRE> ( HTML ),
>> chances are, people will see a proportional font.
>>
>> <PRE> is one tag, 5 letters -- that's it, nothing else.
>> You don't need -any- other tags, no
>> "mess on the screens of people who can't decode it".
>>
>> Those who (can't|won't) (read|write) (Unicode|HTML)
>> are illiterate, I think. I prefer the smarter ones.
>>
> I sincerely hope you someday understand how to use Usenet correctly.

Not much chance of that. You can't learn much off a screen with dark red
font on a dark brown background in mom's basement "command center".

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Apr 19, 2014, 3:46:48 PM4/19/14
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:54:02 -0400, benj <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Rolf you are still an idiot. Using a large font won't make you any
>smarter nor does posting to USENET cure mental illness.
>
>You are still a moron. Plonk.

So many small minds so afraid of progress,
clarity and concision.

--
Sir Gregory

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Apr 19, 2014, 3:52:58 PM4/19/14
In article <Jeff-R...@Apr.17{11.23.Seattle.2014}>,
Jeff-Relf.Me <@.> posted:

> <PRE Style='White-Space: PRE !important; Font-Size: 18px
> !important;Font-Family: monospace !important;'>
> Whiskers replied to Andres, to wit:
> // > I'm on Xnews right now, I think I'll stick with it for my Windows
> // > partition and use slrn on my Fedora partition instead. Thanks to
> // > everyone for all the help.
> //
> // Good choice :))
>
> Xnews is a "good choice" for those who
> (can't|won't) (read|write) (Unicode|HTML).
>
> HTML is good because, with the &lt;PRE> tag,
> you get a monospaced font ( for indenting ),
> instead of the default (proportional) font.
>
> As an added benefit, noobs can't read it.

Xnews appears to be based on News Xpress.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj

benj

Apr 19, 2014, 6:29:58 PM4/19/14
Since your post isn't in some huge brown font I presume that means you
have included yourself among the small minds!

That is unless you can explain to us how using a gigantic brown font
adds to "clarity and concision" and is therefore "progressive"...

Wake up to the fact: USENET is DEAD! It's clowns like you an Rolf who
have killed it rather than being it's "Savior".

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Apr 19, 2014, 6:53:06 PM4/19/14
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 18:29:58 -0400, benj <no...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 04/19/2014 03:46 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:54:02 -0400, benj <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Rolf you are still an idiot. Using a large font won't make you any
>>> smarter nor does posting to USENET cure mental illness.
>>>
>>> You are still a moron. Plonk.
>>

>> So many small minds so afraid of progress,
>> clarity and concision.
>
>Since your post isn't in some huge brown font I presume that means you
>have included yourself among the small minds!

Neither was Relf's post viewed in my client as huge brown font.
Rather, it was displayed as Courier New 10pt Western because
I set my client to so display it.

Are you too stupid to configure your own client so what it displays
pleases you? Or do you just like to gripe and complain because you
are in denial as to what you see being YOUR responsibility and nobody
else's?

>That is unless you can explain to us how using a gigantic brown font
>adds to "clarity and concision" and is therefore "progressive"...

Folks ought to be allowed to use that which pleases them when it comes
to fonts. Likewise those who don't wish to see all the variations need
to have sufficient brain power to set up their client to reflect those
wishes. Perhaps you are too stupid to understand this simple concept?
Perhaps you are still suckling at your mommies teat?

>Wake up to the fact: USENET is DEAD! It's clowns like you an Rolf who
>have killed it rather than being it's "Savior".

Usenet is dying. It's dying because people like you don't wish to
discuss things. All you want to do is gripe and complain and deny
your own ineptitude which ineptitude is the primary factor when it
comes to causing subscribers to lose interest.

--
Sir Gregory

Silver Slimer

Apr 19, 2014, 8:01:09 PM4/19/14
On 2014-04-19 6:53 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

>> Wake up to the fact: USENET is DEAD! It's clowns like you an Rolf who
>> have killed it rather than being it's "Savior".
>
> Usenet is dying. It's dying because people like you don't wish to
> discuss things. All you want to do is gripe and complain and deny
> your own ineptitude which ineptitude is the primary factor when it
> comes to causing subscribers to lose interest.

The fact that fewer and fewer internet service providers actually have
USENET servers and don't promote the protocol at all might have a lot to
do with it as well. Canada's biggest ISP has no USENET at all and only
provides read-only access through a different company to anyone
requesting it. Essentially, it's ignored but provided in a way where
people can't even post to newsgroups should they be inclined. You'd
think that web sites would help solve the problem by providing access
that way but only Google bothered to offer anything and even then in a
half-assed way.

Let's not blame the people for killing USENET, let's blame the
providers. Let's not forget that USENET is not moderated and that fact
alone might be a threat to the state which believes that free speech is
merely a theory and not a right.

--
Silver Slimer
Wikipedia & OpenMedia Supporter

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Apr 19, 2014, 8:02:20 PM4/19/14
In article <e0v5l9dn08g7udao8...@4ax.com>,
"Sir Gregory Hall, Esq." <grego...@home.fake> posted:
The text side of USENET may be dying but the other where
pictures, videos and software are posted isn't.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti
http://tinyurl.com/JaiMaharaj

Snit

Apr 19, 2014, 8:05:40 PM4/19/14
On 4/19/14, 5:01 PM, in article liv2nh$gsh$1...@dont-email.me, "Silver Slimer"
Some of the providers have stopped offering it, in part, because of the
abusiveness of their users and them being tired of dealing with the
complaints. I had one ISP I contacted over someone harassing me tell me that
directly.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 19, 2014, 9:49:15 PM4/19/14

jai, Greg, and Ben,

Forget downloads, Usenet -grows- by 16 TeraBytes each day.

Many have tried to kill it, or declare it dead.

How much more wrong could these idiots be ? !

Hadron

Apr 19, 2014, 11:46:21 PM4/19/14
Silver Slimer <slvrslmr@lv.c> writes:

> On 2014-04-19 6:53 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
>
>>> Wake up to the fact: USENET is DEAD! It's clowns like you an Rolf who
>>> have killed it rather than being it's "Savior".
>>
>> Usenet is dying. It's dying because people like you don't wish to
>> discuss things. All you want to do is gripe and complain and deny
>> your own ineptitude which ineptitude is the primary factor when it
>> comes to causing subscribers to lose interest.
>
> The fact that fewer and fewer internet service providers actually have USENET
> servers and don't promote the protocol at all might have a lot to do with it as
> well. Canada's biggest ISP has no USENET at all and only provides read-only
> access through a different company to anyone requesting it. Essentially, it's
> ignored but provided in a way where people can't even post to newsgroups should
> they be inclined. You'd think that web sites would help solve the problem by
> providing access that way but only Google bothered to offer anything and even
> then in a half-assed way.

WTF?

ISPs dont need to "provide usenet".

Usenet is available from existing servers.

flatfish+++

Apr 20, 2014, 12:10:29 AM4/20/14
Here in the USA, ISP originally provided unfiltered USNET access.
What happened though is most have gone to the "big 3" if you will and
provide only half assed support.

That's why people look elsewhere.

Hadron

Apr 20, 2014, 5:53:04 AM4/20/14
I dont get it. Why would you NEED your ISP to provide it? Just use a
free server from a third party. Or have I misread something here.

That aside yes of course usenet is reduced. Forums are the norm : far
more clients and just easier to use. Stackoverflow does it "right"
barring their over zealous admins who close anything they deem "wrong".

--
"I have a BSEE.... Negative feedback has many benefits, but "maintaining stability" is not one of them. Just the opposite, in fact."
The turdv/chrisv idiot and his pretend BSEE degree.

Hadron

Apr 20, 2014, 6:53:16 AM4/20/14
sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk (Sn!pe) writes:

> Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> >
>> > Here in the USA, ISP originally provided unfiltered USNET access.
>> > What happened though is most have gone to the "big 3" if you will and
>> > provide only half assed support.
>> >
>> > That's why people look elsewhere.
>>
>> I dont get it. Why would you NEED your ISP to provide it? Just use a
>> free server from a third party. Or have I misread something here.
>>
>> That aside yes of course usenet is reduced. Forums are the norm : far
>> more clients and just easier to use. Stackoverflow does it "right"
>> barring their over zealous admins who close anything they deem "wrong".
> ^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^ "^^^^^"
>
> There you have the fundamental argument for the retention of Usenet
> and its distributed server architecture. Any discussion medium that
> is reliant on only one server or one set of service admins is prone
> to censorship.

What are you talking about? Its nothing to do with the protocol or
"usenet v stackoverflow". That's a ridiculous and ignorant comparison.

More apt would be something like "ubuntuhelp.com" vs "askubuntu@stackoverflow".

As for "distributed server architecture" .. what on earth are you
babbling about. That has ZILCH to do with the content censorship.

Anything done on usenet can as easily be mimicked in forums with the
potential for much more audience, a far wider range of clients and the
potential for a far richer content (personally I wouldnt allow HTML
posting outside of basic hiliting and code blocks etc.).

Silver Slimer, Montreal Computer Guy

Apr 20, 2014, 9:19:46 AM4/20/14
ISPs generally offered access to an ISP-specific server. In this case,
the biggest Canadian ISP would be Bell and they don't offer anything but
read-only access from newshosting I believe. In general, ISPs are
dismantling their USENET server which wasn't very good to begin with and
offering people no substitute.

--
Silver Slimer, Montreal Computer Guy
Wikipedia & OpenMedia Supporter

Paul

Apr 20, 2014, 9:55:03 AM4/20/14
Bell Sympatico used to run their own news servers. First they
shut the one down in Ontario. And for a few weeks, I could use
the Eastern one which was still running. Then that one was closed.

"As of May 25, 2006 The Sympatico USENET host will not be active.
If you try to access the Sympatico USENET address, you will be
automatically redirected you to the NewsHosting site."

And this predates the Cuomo witch hunt in the States. The USENET
servers were shut down, as they were a "cost center" and not
considered a feature as such.

(June 10, 2008)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cuomo#Usenet

So two forces were at work at the same time. The thinking that
having USENET wasn't a feature, so even if it took one full
time person to TOS people, that was too much cost. And on the
other hand, doing the right thing for the RIAA/MPAA and the
binary groups, by just closing the server. Think of all the
download bytes saved, for the ISP. Even if it is all on their
own network.

Paul

Lloyd E Parsons

Apr 20, 2014, 10:11:20 AM4/20/14
I remember quite a number of years ago when my ISP had a usenet service
and it went down for almost a week. I was on vacation during most of
the time that occurred so hadn't noticed it until I came back home.
Called the ISP and they said I was the 2nd person to call about it
during that whole time.

--
Lloyd

Silver Slimer, Montreal Computer Guy

Apr 20, 2014, 10:56:02 AM4/20/14
I used to work for Sympatico but left before they made such a move. Had
I still been a part of the company, I probably would have rallied to
save USENET and done everything in my power to explain why it is
important for them to keep it. Alas, I had been gone for three years by
then.

However, I doubt that the servers was killed as a result of people
downloading binaries. Even then, it was clear that it was next to
impossible to download programs from the newsgroup server as it dropped
way too many posts. The same way they do today, people bought access to
commercial servers if binary downloads were important. At best, ISP
servers are used ONLY to post and read text.

--
Silver Slimer, Montreal Computer Guy
Wikipedia & OpenMedia Supporter

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Apr 20, 2014, 12:02:10 PM4/20/14
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 18:49:15 -0700 (Seattle), Jeff-Relf.Me <@.> wrote:

>jai, Greg, and Ben,
>
>Forget downloads, Usenet -grows- by 16 TeraBytes each day.

I beg your pardon, Jeff, but that sounds like a classic
erroneous supposition.

Got proof?

--
Sir Gregory

Paul

Apr 20, 2014, 12:14:58 PM4/20/14
Silver Slimer, Montreal Computer Guy wrote:

> I used to work for Sympatico but left before they made such a move. Had
> I still been a part of the company, I probably would have rallied to
> save USENET and done everything in my power to explain why it is
> important for them to keep it. Alas, I had been gone for three years by
> then.
>
> However, I doubt that the servers was killed as a result of people
> downloading binaries. Even then, it was clear that it was next to
> impossible to download programs from the newsgroup server as it dropped
> way too many posts. The same way they do today, people bought access to
> commercial servers if binary downloads were important. At best, ISP
> servers are used ONLY to post and read text.

The people who upload and download binaries, already have
a protocol to solve the "completion problem". And since
I don't do binaries, don't collect movies, I don't know
any of the details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_newsgroup

"There are two main issues that pose problems for transmitting
binary files over newsgroups. The first is completion rates
and the other is retention rates.
To work around the problem, a redundancy scheme known as
PAR is commonly used."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive

And I think there's more to it than that. There's
a lot I've been missing out on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nzb

You can expect an ecosystem like that to be highly automated.
It wouldn't be much fun if people were still manually
requesting missing bits and pieces of movies.

As for what punches holes in movies, there are always
cancelbots. Things go missing for a reason. It's not
like "bad server hardware" is being used, and your
post got lost.

Paul

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 20, 2014, 12:52:33 PM4/20/14

Greg,  You say "Usenet is dead"...
I don't care, Usenet remains,
you can't kill it, no one can.

I lot of people eat at McDonalds,
that doesn't mean McDonalds is thee best restaurant.

Likewise, the number of people on Usenet
is less important than -who- is on Usenet.

Usenet -grows- by 16+ TeraBytes each day.
The decades-long trend is exponential; see:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Usenet_traffic_changes

That's the -daily growth-, retained uploads,
-- not downloads, not the total size.

And you call that an "erroneous supposition" ? !
Could you possibly be more wrong, if you tried ? !

What do you know about Usenet, anyway ? !
You use F-Agent, for Christ's sake.

You steal WiFi, when you can, you're so poor.
Jesse doesn't do that, please note.
Who do you think I respect more ? !

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Apr 20, 2014, 2:54:14 PM4/20/14
In article
<Jeff-R...@Apr.20{9.52.Seattle.2014}>,
Jeff-Relf.Me <@.> posted:

> <PRE Style='White-Space: PRE !important; Font-Size: 18px
> !important;Font-Family: monospace !important;'>
Usenet traffic changes

Over time, the amount of Usenet traffic has steadily
increased. As of 2010 the number of all text posts made
in all Big-8 newsgroups averaged 1,800 new messages every
hour, with an average of 25,000 messages per day.[47]
However, these averages are minuscule in comparison to
the traffic in the binary groups.[48] Much of this
traffic increase reflects not an increase in discrete
users or newsgroup discussions, but instead the
combination of massive automated spamming and an increase
in the use of .binaries newsgroups[47] in which large
files are often posted publicly. . . .

[...]

Continues at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Usenet_traffic_changes

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 20, 2014, 3:39:26 PM4/20/14

@jai,  Usenet's decades-long exponential growth,
now 16 TeraBytes/day, tells me: you can -not- kill it.

Four years ago, the "Big-8" newsgroups had
25,000 text messages per day.  So what ? !
McDonald's has served hundreds of billions.

Usenet is about -who- is here, not how often they post.
I filter out 99% if it.  Fewer posts would be welcome.

A 4K/UHD ScreenShot of "Comp.OS.Linux.Advocacy" Regulars, ranked [ Text ].
Message has been deleted

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Apr 20, 2014, 4:24:31 PM4/20/14
On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 09:52:33 -0700 (Seattle), Jeff-Relf.Me <@.> wrote:

>That's the -daily growth-, retained uploads,
>-- not downloads, not the total size.
>
>And you call that an "erroneous supposition" ? !
>Could you possibly be more wrong, if you tried ? !

LOL! Jeff you're a hoot and no mistake.

Perhaps an analogy is in order. There exists
a very large manure pile. Ten years ago there
was a daily addition to the manure pile of
20 pitchfork's full. Five years ago there
was a daily addition to the manure pile of
10 pitchfork's full. Two years ago there
was a daily addition to the manure pile of
five pitchfork's full. Today there is only
an addition of two pitchfork's full.

Now, a manure pile rots and composts from
the bottom up and what occurs is that the
pile is actually shrinking with the addition
of only two pitchfork's full a day whereas
there was real growth with that ten years
ago, 20 pitchfork's full daily.

Usenet is that manure pile. Even if the
pile is *growing* because it doesn't rot
from the bottom like the manure pile it
is, in effect, dying because ten years
ago there were 20 times more meaningful
posts and 20 times more active groups than
today's paltry number.

That's why it can be truthfully said that
Usenet is dying. If you really think that
Usenet is a storage house for a festering
manure pile of binaries then you're sadly
mistaken.

--
Sir Gregory

Anonymous

Dave U. Random

Apr 21, 2014, 2:15:26 AM4/21/14

Anonymous Remailer (austria)

Apr 21, 2014, 2:43:40 AM4/21/14

Odiferous Flatulence

Apr 21, 2014, 3:51:57 AM4/21/14

Boner J. Skidmark

Apr 21, 2014, 10:27:03 AM4/21/14
super-idiot.

"Dr. Jai Maharaj" wrote in message news:20140420Li8GaRu92o@ReVV...

In article, nothing.

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Apr 21, 2014, 1:02:42 PM4/21/14
In article <Jeff-R...@Apr.19{18.49.Seattle.2014}>,
Jeff-Relf.Me <@.> posted:

> <PRE Style='White-Space: PRE !important; Font-Size: 18px
> !important;Font-Family: monospace !important;'>
USENET has expired for many folks, especially those who
are active on Facebook and Twitter. For many others it
isn't dead.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://goo.gl/XQJY7a

chrisv

Apr 22, 2014, 7:57:32 AM4/22/14
Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:

>Jeff-Relf.Me <@.> posted:

*plonk*

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 22, 2014, 1:46:33 PM4/22/14
Micha, Yes, you can replace the monospaced font
of the <PRE> tag with a proportional font;
but that'd be stoooopid, -not-, "fully acceptable".

HTML lets you mix monospaced and proportional fonts.

"a line in the header" of a post or email, -not- an HTML tag.

All you need is -one- tag, the <PRE> tag;
you don't need the -huge- mass of tags others use.

HTML renderers print ">>>" ( with no "<Tag" preceeding it )
as plain text.

XML parsers flag ">>>" as an error.
In XML, you must convert it to "&gt;&gt;&gt;".

Many people confuse XML with HTML,
including people here, on Usenet,
and those "HTML validators".

Snit

Apr 22, 2014, 1:51:09 PM4/22/14
On 4/22/14, 10:46 AM, in article Jeff-R...@Apr.22{10.46.Seattle.2014},
The whole concept of a text based Usenet forum is still confusing to you.
Amazing.

--
* Mint MATE: Trash, Panel, Menu: <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE>
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? <http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA>
* Mint KDE working with folders: <http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0>
* Mint KDE creating files: <http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8>
* Mint KDE help: <http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8>
* Mint KDE general navigation: <http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI>
* Mint / LibreOffice: <http://youtu.be/USU9iqppfto>
* Win 8 / Word 2013: <http://youtu.be/z8gUL2TCcV4>
* Mavericks / Pages 5.1: <http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk>

Hadron

Apr 22, 2014, 2:11:05 PM4/22/14
Jeff-Relf.Me <@.> writes:

> Micha, Yes, you can replace the monospaced font
> of the <PRE> tag with a proportional font;
> but that'd be stoooopid, -not-, "fully acceptable".
>
> HTML lets you mix monospaced and proportional fonts.

Seriously, are you an idiot?

You think this is news?

> "a line in the header" of a post or email, -not- an HTML tag.
>
> All you need is -one- tag, the <PRE> tag;
> you don't need the -huge- mass of tags others use.
>
> HTML renderers print ">>>" ( with no "<Tag" preceeding it )
> as plain text.
>
> XML parsers flag ">>>" as an error.
> In XML, you must convert it to "&gt;&gt;&gt;".
>
> Many people confuse XML with HTML,
> including people here, on Usenet,
> and those "HTML validators".

LOL. You make things up as you go along.

Steve Crook

Apr 22, 2014, 2:13:37 PM4/22/14
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.free.newsservers.]
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:46:33 -0700 (Seattle), Jeff-Relf.Me wrote in
> HTML lets you mix monospaced and proportional fonts.
If Einstein had been aware of this when he documented his special theory
of relativity, we might have been time travelling by now.

--
And with glasses high we raised a cry for freedom had arrived

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 23, 2014, 11:40:06 AM4/23/14
Micha, In practice, in the -real- world,
flowed text and a proportional font are the default.

When you post HTML, "a<b" becomes "a&lt;b".
Mainstream email/Usenet clients ( e.g. Thunderbird )
handle the encoding/decoding.

Today's email/Usenet clients don't allow "drive by infections";
"no images" is the default setting.

Those who post ridiculous HTML will soon be filtered out.
One tag, the <PRE> tag, is -not- ridiculous.

Note, the following (monospace) text contrains
a plain text table that should -not- be wrapped.

※△◯♜♝♞ ╳oO.0 ╱╲╲╱⋀⋁ <>⦅⦆«»❮❯➤⌃+⁺⁻゠=&¦⎮⋅✼●°○Θ.⦿◆▲▼
⋅⋅XX⋅⋅XX⋅⋅XX⋅⋅XX⋅XX⋅XX⋅⋅XX
391 Α α Alpha, Β β Beta, Γ γ Gamma, Δ δ Delta, Ε ε Epsilon,
Ζ ζ Zeta, Η η Eta, Θ θ Theta, Ι ι Iota, Κ κ Kappa, Λ λ Lambda,
Μ μ Mu, Ν ν Nu, Ξ ξ Xi, Ο ο Omicron, Π π Pi, Ρ ρ Rho, Σ σ ς Sigma,
Τ τ Tau, Υ υ Upsilon, Φ φ Phi, Χ χ Chi, Ψ ψ Psi, Ω ω Omega
410 АБВГДЕЖЗИЙКЛМНОПРСТУФХЦЧШЩЪЫЬЭЮЯ абвгдежзийклмнопрстуфхцчшщъыьэюя
123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.
.........10........20........30........40........50........60........70........80........90........100.......110.......120.......130.......140.......150.......160
32 ₓ20 64 ₓ40 @ 96 ₓ60 ` 128 ₓ80|20ac € 160 ₓa0   192 ₓc0 À 224 ₓe0 à
33 ₓ21 ! 65 ₓ41 A 97 ₓ61 a 129 ₓ81| 81 161 ₓa1 ¡ 193 ₓc1 Á 225 ₓe1 á
34 ₓ22 " 66 ₓ42 B 98 ₓ62 b 130 ₓ82|201a ‚ 162 ₓa2 ¢ 194 ₓc2 Â 226 ₓe2 â
35 ₓ23 # 67 ₓ43 C 99 ₓ63 c 131 ₓ83| 192 ƒ 163 ₓa3 £ 195 ₓc3 Ã 227 ₓe3 ã
36 ₓ24 $ 68 ₓ44 D 100 ₓ64 d 132 ₓ84|201e „ 164 ₓa4 ¤ 196 ₓc4 Ä 228 ₓe4 ä
37 ₓ25 % 69 ₓ45 E 101 ₓ65 e 133 ₓ85|2026 … 165 ₓa5 ¥ 197 ₓc5 Å 229 ₓe5 å
38 ₓ26 & 70 ₓ46 F 102 ₓ66 f 134 ₓ86|2020 † 166 ₓa6 ¦ 198 ₓc6 Æ 230 ₓe6 æ
39 ₓ27 ' 71 ₓ47 G 103 ₓ67 g 135 ₓ87|2021 ‡ 167 ₓa7 § 199 ₓc7 Ç 231 ₓe7 ç
40 ₓ28 ( 72 ₓ48 H 104 ₓ68 h 136 ₓ88| 2c6 ˆ 168 ₓa8 ¨ 200 ₓc8 È 232 ₓe8 è
41 ₓ29 ) 73 ₓ49 I 105 ₓ69 i 137 ₓ89|2030 ‰ 169 ₓa9 © 201 ₓc9 É 233 ₓe9 é
42 ₓ2a * 74 ₓ4a J 106 ₓ6a j 138 ₓ8a| 160 Š 170 ₓaa ª 202 ₓca Ê 234 ₓea ê
43 ₓ2b + 75 ₓ4b K 107 ₓ6b k 139 ₓ8b|2039 ‹ 171 ₓab « 203 ₓcb Ë 235 ₓeb ë
44 ₓ2c , 76 ₓ4c L 108 ₓ6c l 140 ₓ8c| 152 Œ 172 ₓac ¬ 204 ₓcc Ì 236 ₓec ì
45 ₓ2d - 77 ₓ4d M 109 ₓ6d m 141 ₓ8d| 8d 173 ₓad (-) 205 ₓcd Í 237 ₓed í
46 ₓ2e . 78 ₓ4e N 110 ₓ6e n 142 ₓ8e| 17d Ž 174 ₓae ® 206 ₓce Î 238 ₓee î
47 ₓ2f / 79 ₓ4f O 111 ₓ6f o 143 ₓ8f| 8f 175 ₓaf ¯ 207 ₓcf Ï 239 ₓef ï
48 ₓ30 0 80 ₓ50 P 112 ₓ70 p 144 ₓ90| 90 176 ₓb0 ° 208 ₓd0 Ð 240 ₓf0 ð
49 ₓ31 1 81 ₓ51 Q 113 ₓ71 q 145 ₓ91|2018 ‘ 177 ₓb1 ± 209 ₓd1 Ñ 241 ₓf1 ñ
50 ₓ32 2 82 ₓ52 R 114 ₓ72 r 146 ₓ92|2019 ’ 178 ₓb2 ² 210 ₓd2 Ò 242 ₓf2 ò
51 ₓ33 3 83 ₓ53 S 115 ₓ73 s 147 ₓ93|201c “ 179 ₓb3 ³ 211 ₓd3 Ó 243 ₓf3 ó
52 ₓ34 4 84 ₓ54 T 116 ₓ74 t 148 ₓ94|201d ” 180 ₓb4 ´ 212 ₓd4 Ô 244 ₓf4 ô
53 ₓ35 5 85 ₓ55 U 117 ₓ75 u 149 ₓ95|2022 • 181 ₓb5 µ 213 ₓd5 Õ 245 ₓf5 õ
54 ₓ36 6 86 ₓ56 V 118 ₓ76 v 150 ₓ96|2013 – 182 ₓb6 ¶ 214 ₓd6 Ö 246 ₓf6 ö
55 ₓ37 7 87 ₓ57 W 119 ₓ77 w 151 ₓ97|2014 — 183 ₓb7 · 215 ₓd7 × 247 ₓf7 ÷
56 ₓ38 8 88 ₓ58 X 120 ₓ78 x 152 ₓ98| 2dc ˜ 184 ₓb8 ¸ 216 ₓd8 Ø 248 ₓf8 ø
57 ₓ39 9 89 ₓ59 Y 121 ₓ79 y 153 ₓ99|2122 ™ 185 ₓb9 ¹ 217 ₓd9 Ù 249 ₓf9 ù
58 ₓ3a : 90 ₓ5a Z 122 ₓ7a z 154 ₓ9a| 161 š 186 ₓba º 218 ₓda Ú 250 ₓfa ú
60 ₓ3c < 92 ₓ5c \ 124 ₓ7c | 156 ₓ9c| 153 œ 188 ₓbc ¼ 220 ₓdc Ü 252 ₓfc ü
61 ₓ3d = 93 ₓ5d ] 125 ₓ7d } 157 ₓ9d| 9d 189 ₓbd ½ 221 ₓdd Ý 253 ₓfd ý
62 ₓ3e > 94 ₓ5e ^ 126 ₓ7e ~ 158 ₓ9e| 17e ž 190 ₓbe ¾ 222 ₓde Þ 254 ₓfe þ
63 ₓ3f ? 95 ₓ5f _ 159 ₓ9f| 178 Ÿ 191 ₓbf ¿ 223 ₓdf ß 255 ₓff ÿ
Salary Adver. Charge- │ │ Gain Net
& Ben. & Prom. Offs │ Total │ ( Loss ) Earnings
Зарплата, Реклама, Списания │ │ убыток от Чистый
надбавки продвиж. со счета │ Всего │ вал.переоц. доход
工资 广告 │ │ 外汇折算 净
和福利 和促销 核销 │ 总额 │ 盈/亏 收益