Smokers are smarter, I say.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 1, 2017, 7:07:25 PM4/1/17
The top ten most frequent ways Americans die, by age group:
http://Jeff-Relf.Me/OldPeopleDie.PNG

" UnIntentional Injury " ( e.g. a drug OverDose ) kills _Young people;
-- Behind the wheel, drinkers kill _Young people;
-- When you don't get enough sleep, kid, you're _Drunk.

Smokers are smarter, I say.
" Heart Disease " ( e.g. from decades of smoking ) kills _Old people.
So what ? ! Old Age is the leading cause of death everywhere, globally.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 1, 2017, 7:31:06 PM4/1/17
That table is far too vague. "Unintentional injury" could be anything from slipping off a cliff while mountaineering, to driving on the wrong side of the road, to taking 5000 paracetamols because your wife won't shut the fuck up and your resulting headache's really bad.

--
Willy-nilly (adj.), impotent.

noTthaTguY

Apr 1, 2017, 8:29:17 PM4/1/17
that was g00d

Chris Ahlstrom

Apr 1, 2017, 9:00:01 PM4/1/17
James Wilkinson Sword wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ASjhNBL5fU

Ulrich Schnauss - Monday Paracetamol

--
Mind! I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is
particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself,

Mark Lloyd

Apr 2, 2017, 3:02:38 PM4/2/17
That reminds me of the "South Park" show where the (young) workers at a
cigarette factory were saying "You might get cancer when you're 80 but
who the hell wants to be 90 anyway". Not the way you'd feel when you're
80 already.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Who made who?" [AC/DC]

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 2, 2017, 3:12:36 PM4/2/17
A short happy life is better than a long dull one.

--
Three guys go to a ski lodge, and there aren't enough rooms, so they have to share a bed. In the middle of the night, the guy on the right wakes up and says, "I had this wild, vivid dream of getting a hand job!" The guy on the left wakes up, and unbelievably, he's had the same dream, too. Then the guy in the middle wakes up and says, "That's funny, I dreamt I was skiing!"

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 2, 2017, 3:13:34 PM4/2/17
Old Age is the leading cause of death everywhere, globally.

Even now, at 57 years old, decades seem like minutes to me;
it's better to die at 80, having been a joy to yourself and others,
than to live to 90, making everyone miserable.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 2, 2017, 3:18:22 PM4/2/17
Best would be to invent everlasting life. I thought stem cells were the start of this.

--
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Char Jackson

Apr 2, 2017, 5:36:36 PM4/2/17
On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 20:18:18 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
<imv...@somewear.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 20:13:37 +0100, Jeff-Relf.Me <.> wrote:
>
>> Old Age is the leading cause of death everywhere, globally.
>>
>> Even now, at 57 years old, decades seem like minutes to me;
>> it's better to die at 80, having been a joy to yourself and others,
>> than to live to 90, making everyone miserable.
>
>Best would be to invent everlasting life. I thought stem cells were the start of this.

Research isn't there yet to keep a complete human alive, but they do
have the 'immortal' cells of Henrietta Lacks to play around with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Lacks
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/18/134622044/tracing-the-immortal-cells-of-henrietta-lacks
In 1951, an African-American woman named Henrietta Lacks was diagnosed
with terminal cervical cancer. She was treated at Johns Hopkins
University, where a doctor named George Gey snipped cells from her
cervix without telling her. Gey discovered that Lacks' cells could not
only be kept alive, but would also grow indefinitely.

Double-A

Apr 2, 2017, 5:55:30 PM4/2/17
Medical errors may be third leading cause of death in the U.S.!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/health/medical-error-a-leading-cause-of-death/

Avoid doctors whenever possible!

Double-A

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 2, 2017, 6:05:45 PM4/2/17
So to live forever, you need to get cancer?

It must be possible to seperate those two things.

--
Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it.

Wolf K

Apr 2, 2017, 6:19:32 PM4/2/17

https://www.verywell.com/understanding-cellular-aging-2224234

--
Best,
Wolf K

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 2, 2017, 6:32:19 PM4/2/17
So all we need is telemerase.

--
The dot over the letter i is called a tittle.

Sprang

Apr 2, 2017, 6:37:46 PM4/2/17
On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 23:05:41 +0100, James Wilkinson Sword, after 15 edits, wrote this:
> On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 22:36:41 +0100, Char Jackson <no...@none.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 20:18:18 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
>> <imv...@somewear.com> wrote:

>>> Best would be to invent everlasting life. I thought stem cells were the start of this.
>>
>> Research isn't there yet to keep a complete human alive, but they do
>> have the 'immortal' cells of Henrietta Lacks to play around with.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Lacks
>> http://www.npr.org/2011/03/18/134622044/tracing-the-immortal-cells-of-henrietta-lacks
>> In 1951, an African-American woman named Henrietta Lacks was diagnosed
>> with terminal cervical cancer. She was treated at Johns Hopkins
>> University, where a doctor named George Gey snipped cells from her
>> cervix without telling her. Gey discovered that Lacks' cells could not
>> only be kept alive, but would also grow indefinitely.
>
> So to live forever, you need to get cancer?

For US$431, you can find out :)
https://www.atcc.org/Products/All/CCL-2.aspx?geo_country=us#documentation

> It must be possible to seperate those two things.

--
SpringSprangSprung

Wolf K

Apr 2, 2017, 7:09:53 PM4/2/17
I wish it were that simple. Tardigrades may offer a clue. Look them up.
They are

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170326.html

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 2, 2017, 7:25:07 PM4/2/17
Interesting that Hawaii needs a permit....

--
I just took a leaflet out of my mailbox, informing me that I can have sex at 75.
I'm so happy, because I live at number 71.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 2, 2017, 7:27:33 PM4/2/17
That doesn't look real. It looks like a full vacuum cleaner bag. The mouth looks plastic, and not animal-like at all.

--
Why don't Siamese cats come in pairs?

Snit

Apr 2, 2017, 7:35:38 PM4/2/17
On 4/2/17, 4:27 PM, in article op.yx3cr...@red.lan, "James Wilkinson
Sword" <imv...@somewear.com> wrote:

>> I wish it were that simple. Tardigrades may offer a clue. Look them up.
>> They are
>>
>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170326.html
>
> That doesn't look real. It looks like a full vacuum cleaner bag. The mouth
> looks plastic, and not animal-like at all.

They are real... but very tiny. :)

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 2, 2017, 8:00:47 PM4/2/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 00:35:32 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

> On 4/2/17, 4:27 PM, in article op.yx3cr...@red.lan, "James Wilkinson
> Sword" <imv...@somewear.com> wrote:
>
>>> I wish it were that simple. Tardigrades may offer a clue. Look them up.
>>> They are
>>>
>>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170326.html
>>
>> That doesn't look real. It looks like a full vacuum cleaner bag. The mouth
>> looks plastic, and not animal-like at all.
>
> They are real... but very tiny. :)

1mm. So visible. Yuck!

--
A single blonde pregnant girl goes to the grocery store. A couple that she knows notices she's pregnant.
The lady asks her, "Whose baby is it?"

Snit

Apr 2, 2017, 8:02:52 PM4/2/17
On 4/2/17, 5:00 PM, in article op.yx3eb...@red.lan, "James Wilkinson
Sword" <imv...@somewear.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 00:35:32 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>>> That doesn't look real. It looks like a full vacuum cleaner bag. The mouth
>>> looks plastic, and not animal-like at all.
>>
>> They are real... but very tiny. :)
>
> 1mm. So visible. Yuck!

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 2, 2017, 8:19:57 PM4/2/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 01:02:46 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

> On 4/2/17, 5:00 PM, in article op.yx3eb...@red.lan, "James Wilkinson
> Sword" <imv...@somewear.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 00:35:32 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>>> They are real... but very tiny. :)
>>
>> 1mm. So visible. Yuck!
>
> :)

Imagine if it bred with a tarantula.

--
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Snit

Apr 2, 2017, 8:35:04 PM4/2/17
On 4/2/17, 5:19 PM, in article op.yx3e7...@red.lan, "James Wilkinson
Sword" <imv...@somewear.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 01:02:46 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/2/17, 5:00 PM, in article op.yx3eb...@red.lan, "James Wilkinson
>> Sword" <imv...@somewear.com> wrote:

>>> 1mm. So visible. Yuck!
>>
>> :)
>
> Imagine if it bred with a tarantula.

I love tarantulas. Went to a summer camp once where we ended up in the
migration path of them... THOUSANDS crossed the camp. Maybe millions.
Seriously, it was hard to NOT step on them for a day or two.

Right now I live in a place where we see them from time to time but nothing
like that.

Mark Lloyd

Apr 2, 2017, 11:53:58 PM4/2/17

[snip]

>> That reminds me of the "South Park" show where the (young) workers at a
>> cigarette factory were saying "You might get cancer when you're 80 but
>> who the hell wants to be 90 anyway". Not the way you'd feel when you're
>> 80 already.
>
> A short happy life is better than a long dull one.

You have not yet shown anything "happy" about a stinky fire hazard that
causes cancer.

Also, I have been in a cancer treatment facility, and many of the
patients had lung cancer. Some of them had to breathe through holes in
their throats. Most of these people were not that old.

Mark Lloyd

Apr 3, 2017, 12:08:10 AM4/3/17

[snip]

>> I wish it were that simple. Tardigrades may offer a clue. Look them up.
>> They are
>>
>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170326.html
>
> That doesn't look real. It looks like a full vacuum cleaner bag. The
> mouth looks plastic, and not animal-like at all.

I would have thought something like that (full vacuum cleaner bag) if I
didn't know the scale. Things are very different at such small scales.

Wolf K

Apr 3, 2017, 8:24:34 AM4/3/17
On 2017-04-03 00:08, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 04/02/2017 06:27 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> I wish it were that simple. Tardigrades may offer a clue. Look them up.
>>> They are
>>>
>>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170326.html
>>
>> That doesn't look real. It looks like a full vacuum cleaner bag. The
>> mouth looks plastic, and not animal-like at all.
>>

> I would have thought something like that (full vacuum cleaner bag) if I
> didn't know the scale. Things are very different at such small scales.

Here's more, including a nice animated GIF:

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-tardigrade-genome-has-been-sequenced-and-it-has-the-most-foreign-dna-of-any-animal

Rene Lamontagne

Apr 3, 2017, 9:43:37 AM4/3/17
And not that happy, Trust me, I was one of them.

Rene

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 3, 2017, 9:50:05 AM4/3/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 04:53:56 +0100, Mark Lloyd <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> On 04/02/2017 02:12 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> That reminds me of the "South Park" show where the (young) workers at a
>>> cigarette factory were saying "You might get cancer when you're 80 but
>>> who the hell wants to be 90 anyway". Not the way you'd feel when you're
>>> 80 already.
>>
>> A short happy life is better than a long dull one.
>>

> You have not yet shown anything "happy" about a stinky fire hazard that
> causes cancer.

CAN cause cancer, at the choice of the smoker, who is clearly enjoying the immediate effects of it. It's why they smoke.

> Also, I have been in a cancer treatment facility, and many of the
> patients had lung cancer. Some of them had to breathe through holes in
> their throats. Most of these people were not that old.

You see the few with problems, most don't have problems. Anyway it was THEIR choice.

--
19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that christmas decorations were chocolate.

Silver-Tongued Heel

Apr 3, 2017, 10:14:11 AM4/3/17

Rene Lamontagne

Apr 3, 2017, 10:36:10 AM4/3/17
Cancer patient

Rene

Wolf K

Apr 3, 2017, 10:38:18 AM4/3/17
On 2017-04-03 09:49, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 04:53:56 +0100, Mark Lloyd <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 04/02/2017 02:12 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> A short happy life is better than a long dull one.
>>>

>> You have not yet shown anything "happy" about a stinky fire hazard that
>> causes cancer.
>
> CAN cause cancer, at the choice of the smoker, who is clearly enjoying the immediate effects of it. It's why they smoke.

Actually, the most common smoking-caused death is by heart attack.
Anecdote:
A doc I knew did some professional brush-up at the Mayo Clinic's cardiac
unit in Chicago. This was about 35 years ago. He told me that if the
incoming patient was under 50, the intern/resident never asked "Do you
smoke?" They always asked "How much do you smoke?." The three weeks my
acquaintance was there, no patient claimed they didn't smoke.

>> Also, I have been in a cancer treatment facility, and many of the
>> patients had lung cancer. Some of them had to breathe through holes in
>> their throats. Most of these people were not that old.
>
> You see the few with problems, most don't have problems. Anyway it was THEIR choice.

_You_ see "the few". But you're only 41, you haven't lived long enough
to see most of them. Most smokers have health problems. Heart attacks.
Cancers (NB plural). COPD. Vascular problems, especially in the
extremities. leading to nerve damage. Stroke. Impotence. Etc. The fact
is, smoking does shorten life, and reduces the fun, too. And once you're
addicted, "choice" is no longer the right word.

FTR, I quit smoking 44 years ago. It took me three tries over four
years. I finally quite when I realised that (at today's prices here) I
was spending over $300 a month on it.

noTthaTguY

Apr 3, 2017, 10:56:13 AM4/3/17
what is the naturopathy\homeopathy/whatever for lungcancer?

PAS

Apr 3, 2017, 11:11:45 AM4/3/17
Me too, but not lung cancer. Sorry to hear of this Rene. I hope you
are well these days.

Rene Lamontagne

Apr 3, 2017, 11:32:43 AM4/3/17
No not lung cancer, Bladder, prostate gland and lymph nodes, all
removed, 3 more tumors over 2 years, Radiation treatments, Chemotherapy
and both tibial arteries collapsed due to chemo, They harvested arteries
from my arms and patched them in.
Heart failure due to chemo, Defibrillator to revive me, and long recovery.
I am back to good health again at 83 years young and still getting along
OK now, Too hard to Knock a Lamontagne down, So Pas keep your spirits up.

Rene

Silver-Tongued Heel

Apr 3, 2017, 11:52:09 AM4/3/17

Ken Blake

Apr 3, 2017, 2:06:42 PM4/3/17
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 10:32:40 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rla...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>No not lung cancer, Bladder, prostate gland and lymph nodes, all
>removed, 3 more tumors over 2 years, Radiation treatments, Chemotherapy
>and both tibial arteries collapsed due to chemo, They harvested arteries
>from my arms and patched them in.
>Heart failure due to chemo, Defibrillator to revive me, and long recovery.

Wow! Very sorry to hear that.

>I am back to good health again at 83 years young and still getting along
>OK now, Too hard to Knock a Lamontagne down,

But very glad to hear that!

Ken Blake

Apr 3, 2017, 2:13:22 PM4/3/17
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 10:38:12 -0400, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>_You_ see "the few". But you're only 41, you haven't lived long enough
>to see most of them. Most smokers have health problems. Heart attacks.
>Cancers (NB plural). COPD. Vascular problems, especially in the
>extremities. leading to nerve damage. Stroke. Impotence. Etc. The fact
>is, smoking does shorten life, and reduces the fun, too.

Yep!

> And once you're
>addicted, "choice" is no longer the right word.
>
>FTR, I quit smoking 44 years ago. It took me three tries over four
>years. I finally quite when I realised that (at today's prices here) I
>was spending over $300 a month on it.

But then if you stopped smoking, like me, you are an example of why
"choice" *is* the right word. I stopped 49 years ago. It took me only
two tries, over about six months.

You probably know what Mark Twain said about stopping smoking, but
just in case you don't, or someone else here doesn't: "Stopping
smoking is easy; I've done it a thousand times."

Rene Lamontagne

Apr 3, 2017, 2:13:28 PM4/3/17
Thanks, Ken

Rene

notX

Apr 3, 2017, 2:33:52 PM4/3/17

[snip]

> You see the few with problems, most don't have problems. Anyway it was
> THEIR choice.

You think people CHOOSE to get cancer?

Mark Lloyd

Apr 3, 2017, 2:39:00 PM4/3/17
On 04/03/2017 09:38 AM, Wolf K wrote:

[snip]

>I finally quite when I realised that (at today's prices here) I
> was spending over $300 a month on it.

Thinking of that, I saw a poster in a Doctor's office that from a
distance looked like a cigarette. A closer look showed it was money.
There was a message about how much smokers spend on the things.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"There's no more proof for the existence of God than there is for the
existence of the Easter Bunny. That's right. The Easter Bunny."

burfordTjustice

Apr 3, 2017, 2:40:17 PM4/3/17
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 13:38:55 -0500
Mark Lloyd <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> On 04/03/2017 09:38 AM, Wolf K wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >I finally quite when I realised that (at today's prices here) I
> > was spending over $300 a month on it.
> >

> Thinking of that, I saw a poster in a Doctor's office that from a
> distance looked like a cigarette. A closer look showed it was money.
> There was a message about how much smokers spend on the things.

Maybe the money was just used to snort coke.

Snit

Apr 3, 2017, 2:50:30 PM4/3/17
On 4/3/17, 11:38 AM, in article 4FwEA.88503$Fv2....@fx02.iad, "Mark Lloyd"
<n...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> On 04/03/2017 09:38 AM, Wolf K wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I finally quite when I realised that (at today's prices here) I
>> was spending over $300 a month on it.
>>

> Thinking of that, I saw a poster in a Doctor's office that from a
> distance looked like a cigarette. A closer look showed it was money.
> There was a message about how much smokers spend on the things.

I cannot understand why, other than addiction, anyone would smoke in today's
world. Well, also as a way of self-medicating over whatever.

> --
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.us/
>
> "There's no more proof for the existence of God than there is for the
> existence of the Easter Bunny. That's right. The Easter Bunny."

But not proof either one does not exist either... :)

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 3, 2017, 3:38:35 PM4/3/17
Smoking doesn't "cause" cancer; it's "correlated to" cancer.

This guy smokes 12 cigars a day, sometimes more:
" 109-Year-Old Veteran and His Secrets to Life ", Feb 5, 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXyfCGDnuWs

This smoker is 146 years old:
" 146-year-old Indonesian is world’s oldest ? "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhbY2e3zdiw

Jeanne Calment, a smoker, lived to 122:
" How To Live Past 100 - Secrets To Longevity From 5 Centenarians ":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hxfr5Tg7jY

Smoker Willie Nelson turns 84 this month.

Quoting
" Willie Nelson is, as the song goes, "Still Not Dead". ", April 2, 2017
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/willie-nelson-still-not-dead-gods-problem-child/

When he’s not traveling on his bus to one of the more
than 100 shows he stills does every year, Nelson
splits his time between a home in Maui ( where he
hangs with friends like Woody Harrelson ), and his
ranch outside Austin, complete with an Old West town
he named Luck, Texas.

Double-A

Apr 3, 2017, 3:57:10 PM4/3/17
On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 7:56:13 AM UTC-7, noTthaTguY wrote:
> what is the naturopathy\homeopathy/whatever for lungcancer?

Snort turmeric!

Double-A

Sprang

Apr 3, 2017, 8:12:11 PM4/3/17
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 13:38:55 -0500, Mark Lloyd, after 15 edits, wrote this:
> On 04/03/2017 09:38 AM, Wolf K wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>I finally quite when I realised that (at today's prices here) I
>> was spending over $300 a month on it.
>>

> Thinking of that, I saw a poster in a Doctor's office that from a
> distance looked like a cigarette. A closer look showed it was money.
> There was a message about how much smokers spend on the things.

I have a poster of a doctor's office.
At the center is a black hole, creating a vortex that money falls into.
And yet, 100% of his clients die.

--
SpringSprangSprung

erickawi...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2017, 9:18:59 PM4/3/17
tertiary smoke is not that great

> Snort turmeric!
>
> Double-A

Savageduck

Apr 3, 2017, 9:25:55 PM4/3/17
I guess you have yet to experience a debilitating and life-threatening
illness or injury.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Sprang

Apr 3, 2017, 9:58:14 PM4/3/17
I will someday, regardless of precautions or medical interference.
I accept death as part of life.
100 billion people can't be wrong.
I fight taxes tooth and nail. :)

--
SpringSprangSprung

Ken Blake

Apr 4, 2017, 12:19:45 PM4/4/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 11:50:17 -0700, Snit
<use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>> "There's no more proof for the existence of God than there is for the
>> existence of the Easter Bunny. That's right. The Easter Bunny."
>
>But not proof either one does not exist either... :)

Proof of non-existence is never required. What's required is proof of
existence.

If you say there's a giant invisible tomato on my head, it's not up to
me to prove it's not there; it's up to you to prove that it is.

Snit

Apr 4, 2017, 12:34:58 PM4/4/17
On 4/4/17, 9:19 AM, in article jnh7ecpcs99pq5cjp...@4ax.com,
"Ken Blake" <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 11:50:17 -0700, Snit
> <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>

>>> "There's no more proof for the existence of God than there is for the
>>> existence of the Easter Bunny. That's right. The Easter Bunny."
>>
>> But not proof either one does not exist either... :)
>

> Proof of non-existence is never required. What's required is proof of
> existence.

Agreed... I was just being silly.

> If you say there's a giant invisible tomato on my head, it's not up to
> me to prove it's not there; it's up to you to prove that it is.

Is there one?

Ken Blake

Apr 4, 2017, 1:29:08 PM4/4/17
On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 09:34:52 -0700, Snit
<use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>On 4/4/17, 9:19 AM, in article jnh7ecpcs99pq5cjp...@4ax.com,
>"Ken Blake" <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>> But not proof either one does not exist either... :)
>>

>> Proof of non-existence is never required. What's required is proof of
>> existence.
>
>Agreed... I was just being silly.

OK. I now see the smiley I missed earlier.

Snit

Apr 4, 2017, 1:39:10 PM4/4/17
On 4/4/17, 10:29 AM, in article ptl7ecp3r07o19ppb...@4ax.com,
"Ken Blake" <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 09:34:52 -0700, Snit
> <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/4/17, 9:19 AM, in article jnh7ecpcs99pq5cjp...@4ax.com,
>> "Ken Blake" <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>> Proof of non-existence is never required. What's required is proof of
>>> existence.
>>
>> Agreed... I was just being silly.
>
> OK. I now see the smiley I missed earlier.

No problem.

pcard...@volcanomail.com

Apr 4, 2017, 2:19:01 PM4/4/17
Do the world a favor and increase your smoking as much as possible.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 4, 2017, 3:09:27 PM4/4/17
On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 01:52:16 +0100, Chris Ahlstrom <OFee...@teleworm.us> wrote:

> James Wilkinson Sword wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 00:07:26 +0100, Jeff-Relf.Me <.> wrote:
>>
>>> The top ten most frequent ways Americans die, by age group:
>>> http://Jeff-Relf.Me/OldPeopleDie.PNG
>>>
>>> " UnIntentional Injury " ( e.g. a drug OverDose ) kills _Young people;
>>> -- Behind the wheel, drinkers kill _Young people;
>>> -- When you don't get enough sleep, kid, you're _Drunk.
>>>
>>> Smokers are smarter, I say.
>>> " Heart Disease " ( e.g. from decades of smoking ) kills _Old people.
>>> So what ? ! Old Age is the leading cause of death everywhere, globally.
>>
>> That table is far too vague. "Unintentional injury" could be anything
>> from slipping off a cliff while mountaineering, to driving on the wrong
>> side of the road, to taking 5000 paracetamols because your wife won't shut
>> the fuck up and your resulting headache's really bad.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ASjhNBL5fU
>
> Ulrich Schnauss - Monday Paracetamol

How does this tune relate to paracetamol?

--
Little Tommy took a drink but he will drink no more.
What he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 4, 2017, 5:54:43 PM4/4/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 01:34:54 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

> On 4/2/17, 5:19 PM, in article op.yx3e7...@red.lan, "James Wilkinson
> Sword" <imv...@somewear.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 01:02:46 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>>> :)
>>
>> Imagine if it bred with a tarantula.
>
> I love tarantulas. Went to a summer camp once where we ended up in the
> migration path of them... THOUSANDS crossed the camp. Maybe millions.
> Seriously, it was hard to NOT step on them for a day or two.
>
> Right now I live in a place where we see them from time to time but nothing
> like that.

Normal folk don't like things with twice as many limbs as themselves.

--
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - The fear of long words.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 4, 2017, 6:02:17 PM4/4/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 05:08:07 +0100, Mark Lloyd <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> On 04/02/2017 06:27 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> I wish it were that simple. Tardigrades may offer a clue. Look them up.
>>> They are
>>>
>>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170326.html
>>
>> That doesn't look real. It looks like a full vacuum cleaner bag. The
>> mouth looks plastic, and not animal-like at all.
>>

> I would have thought something like that (full vacuum cleaner bag) if I
> didn't know the scale. Things are very different at such small scales.

Which is why things magnified 10,000 times are fucking scary.

--
If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Snit

Apr 4, 2017, 6:18:10 PM4/4/17
On 4/4/17, 2:54 PM, in article op.yx6xt...@red.lan, "James Wilkinson
Yes, I know. Not sure why... other than just one of those things like trying
to drink your own spit. You swallow it all day, no issue... now try to spit
into a glass and drink it. YUCK!

No logic to it, but almost everyone has that reaction.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 4, 2017, 7:08:23 PM4/4/17
An animal that can run 50 times faster than you compared to it's size, and hide behind things and pounce on you in your sleep, ending up in your mouth for you to digest doesn't bother you?

> other than just one of those things like trying
> to drink your own spit. You swallow it all day, no issue... now try to spit
> into a glass and drink it. YUCK!
>
> No logic to it, but almost everyone has that reaction.

Plenty logic to it. Drinking a lot at once fucks up your digestive system. We feel ill when about to intake things that could screw up our insides. That's why it's impossible for you to swallow a piece of dogshit.

--
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

noTthaTguY

Apr 4, 2017, 7:44:49 PM4/4/17
the sed0ndp0wer of 1,00, what

> Which is why things magnified 10,000 times are fucking scary.
>
> --
> If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

three camels & a mule

Snit

Apr 4, 2017, 10:05:27 PM4/4/17
On 4/4/17, 4:08 PM, in article op.yx607...@red.lan, "James Wilkinson

>>> Normal folk don't like things with twice as many limbs as themselves.
>>
>> Yes, I know. Not sure why...
>
> An animal that can run 50 times faster than you compared to it's size, and
> hide behind things and pounce on you in your sleep, ending up in your mouth
> for you to digest doesn't bother you?

Nope. Lady bugs can do that or at least most of it... and they do not seem
to disgust most people. I have a fairly large number of spiders living
around my house -- I live near a lake and they help reduce the level of
unwanted pests. I like them.

>> other than just one of those things like trying
>> to drink your own spit. You swallow it all day, no issue... now try to spit
>> into a glass and drink it. YUCK!
>>
>> No logic to it, but almost everyone has that reaction.
>
> Plenty logic to it. Drinking a lot at once fucks up your digestive system.

I am not talking a full glass worth! Just spit a little into a cup and then
drink it. Yuck. For that matter, we have mucus from our nose drip down our
throats all the time... but the thought of sneezing into your hand is not
pleasant and then eating it is absolutely repulsive. I admit it is for me...
but why?

I suppose if our own was not gross to us then we might eat others and that
would spread disease. Still, it is not really logical that our own that we
eat anyway is so gross.

Not suggesting it should not be. I am certainly not starting a campaign to
push spit drinking and bugger eating... but I realize it is just an
instinctual response and not really rational.

> We feel ill when about to intake things that could screw up our insides.
> That's why it's impossible for you to swallow a piece of dogshit.

Never tried. :)

Wolf K

Apr 5, 2017, 9:49:46 AM4/5/17
On 2017-04-04 22:05, Snit wrote:
[...]
> I am not talking a full glass worth! Just spit a little into a cup and then
> drink it. Yuck. For that matter, we have mucus from our nose drip down our
> throats all the time... but the thought of sneezing into your hand is not
> pleasant and then eating it is absolutely repulsive. I admit it is for me...
> but why?
>
> I suppose if our own was not gross to us then we might eat others and that
> would spread disease. Still, it is not really logical that our own that we
> eat anyway is so gross.
>
> Not suggesting it should not be. I am certainly not starting a campaign to
> push spit drinking and bugger eating... but I realize it is just an
> instinctual response and not really rational.
[...]

The aversion to consuming internal fluids is so widespread that it's
certainly part of our wiring. I'm more interested in knowing why it
varies in intensity, and why there some variation across cultures.

--
Best,
Wolf K
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes,
but in having new eyes." (Proust)

Snit

Apr 5, 2017, 11:39:44 AM4/5/17
On 4/5/17, 6:49 AM, in article TB6FA.282281$561.2...@fx42.iad, "Wolf K"
<wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-04-04 22:05, Snit wrote:
> [...]
>> I am not talking a full glass worth! Just spit a little into a cup and then
>> drink it. Yuck. For that matter, we have mucus from our nose drip down our
>> throats all the time... but the thought of sneezing into your hand is not
>> pleasant and then eating it is absolutely repulsive. I admit it is for me...
>> but why?
>>
>> I suppose if our own was not gross to us then we might eat others and that
>> would spread disease. Still, it is not really logical that our own that we
>> eat anyway is so gross.
>>
>> Not suggesting it should not be. I am certainly not starting a campaign to
>> push spit drinking and bugger eating... but I realize it is just an
>> instinctual response and not really rational.
> [...]
>
> The aversion to consuming internal fluids is so widespread that it's
> certainly part of our wiring. I'm more interested in knowing why it
> varies in intensity, and why there some variation across cultures.

The easy answer there is it is a mix of nature and nurture... but that does
not really answer any specifics. I would guess (and it just that, a guess)
that more "advanced" societies which are not as closely tied to nature and
not as steeped in death are, in general, more offended by such things. We
can afford to be. If your day-to-day life is focused on survival or is tied
to people in your community dying from unknown causes you are less likely to
care.

Char Jackson

Apr 6, 2017, 12:34:26 AM4/6/17
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:49:35 -0400, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2017-04-04 22:05, Snit wrote:
>[...]
>> I am not talking a full glass worth! Just spit a little into a cup and then
>> drink it. Yuck. For that matter, we have mucus from our nose drip down our
>> throats all the time... but the thought of sneezing into your hand is not
>> pleasant and then eating it is absolutely repulsive. I admit it is for me...
>> but why?
>>
>> I suppose if our own was not gross to us then we might eat others and that
>> would spread disease. Still, it is not really logical that our own that we
>> eat anyway is so gross.
>>
>> Not suggesting it should not be. I am certainly not starting a campaign to
>> push spit drinking and bugger eating... but I realize it is just an
>> instinctual response and not really rational.
>[...]
>
>The aversion to consuming internal fluids is so widespread that it's
>certainly part of our wiring. I'm more interested in knowing why it
>varies in intensity, and why there some variation across cultures.

Without the aversion, 'two girls 1 cup' would never have been a thing.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 7, 2017, 2:16:41 PM4/7/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 15:14:08 +0100, Silver-Tongued Heel <s...@im.er> wrote:

Please don't litter your posts with that PGP shite.

--
A child is for life, not just for benefits.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 7, 2017, 2:18:47 PM4/7/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 16:52:03 +0100, Silver-Tongued Heel <s...@im.er> wrote:

> On 03/04/17 11:32 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> Me too, but not lung cancer. Sorry to hear of this Rene. I hope
>>> you are well these days.
>>>

>> No not lung cancer, Bladder, prostate gland and lymph nodes, all
>> removed, 3 more tumors over 2 years, Radiation treatments,
>> Chemotherapy and both tibial arteries collapsed due to chemo, They
>> harvested arteries from my arms and patched them in. Heart failure
>> due to chemo, Defibrillator to revive me, and long recovery. I am
>> back to good health again at 83 years young and still getting
>> along OK now, Too hard to Knock a Lamontagne down, So Pas keep your
>> spirits up.
>
> It's a good thing that I have a vegan diet then; I'm trying to avoid
> every form of cancer.

I don't see how that would help. All you're doing is removing half the sources of essential vitamins etc.

--
Computers are like air conditioners: They stop working when you open Windows.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 8, 2017, 11:04:24 AM4/8/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 15:38:12 +0100, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-04-03 09:49, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 04:53:56 +0100, Mark Lloyd <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> On 04/02/2017 02:12 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> You have not yet shown anything "happy" about a stinky fire hazard that
>>> causes cancer.
>>
>> CAN cause cancer, at the choice of the smoker, who is clearly enjoying the immediate effects of it. It's why they smoke.
>
> Actually, the most common smoking-caused death is by heart attack.
> Anecdote:
> A doc I knew did some professional brush-up at the Mayo Clinic's cardiac
> unit in Chicago. This was about 35 years ago. He told me that if the
> incoming patient was under 50, the intern/resident never asked "Do you
> smoke?" They always asked "How much do you smoke?." The three weeks my
> acquaintance was there, no patient claimed they didn't smoke.

Odd, I thought it was the lungs it damaged.

>>> Also, I have been in a cancer treatment facility, and many of the
>>> patients had lung cancer. Some of them had to breathe through holes in
>>> their throats. Most of these people were not that old.
>>
>> You see the few with problems, most don't have problems. Anyway it was THEIR choice.
>
> _You_ see "the few". But you're only 41, you haven't lived long enough
> to see most of them.

Actually my work involves meeting a lot of elderly people. Sure, they have problems, but not smoking-related ones. Mostly it's dodgy joints.

> Most smokers have health problems. Heart attacks.
> Cancers (NB plural). COPD. Vascular problems, especially in the
> extremities. leading to nerve damage. Stroke. Impotence. Etc. The fact
> is, smoking does shorten life, and reduces the fun, too. And once you're
> addicted, "choice" is no longer the right word.

Addiction is all in the mind. My colleague stopped smoking in the course of ONE WEEK when he had a child and his wife insisted they didn't have money for both.

> FTR, I quit smoking 44 years ago. It took me three tries over four
> years. I finally quite when I realised that (at today's prices here) I
> was spending over $300 a month on it.

Then grow your own. Tobacco is a plant isn't it?

--
"It was reported last week that a citizen's group is trying to remove porn channels from hotels across the country."
"The group is called the Coalition of People Who Want to Ruin Everything."

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 8, 2017, 11:04:47 AM4/8/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 19:38:55 +0100, Mark Lloyd <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> On 04/03/2017 09:38 AM, Wolf K wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I finally quite when I realised that (at today's prices here) I
>> was spending over $300 a month on it.
>>

> Thinking of that, I saw a poster in a Doctor's office that from a
> distance looked like a cigarette. A closer look showed it was money.
> There was a message about how much smokers spend on the things.

So what? I can drive fast and waste petrol, but it's MY money.

--
Why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor when you can't drink and drive?

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 8, 2017, 11:06:14 AM4/8/17
You need a better newsreader, mine converts it into a bright yellow face. Can't miss it.

--
Kakistocracy - Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kakistocracy

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 8, 2017, 11:06:58 AM4/8/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 19:50:17 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

> On 4/3/17, 11:38 AM, in article 4FwEA.88503$Fv2....@fx02.iad, "Mark Lloyd"
> <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 04/03/2017 09:38 AM, Wolf K wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I finally quite when I realised that (at today's prices here) I
>>> was spending over $300 a month on it.
>>>

>> Thinking of that, I saw a poster in a Doctor's office that from a
>> distance looked like a cigarette. A closer look showed it was money.
>> There was a message about how much smokers spend on the things.
>
> I cannot understand why, other than addiction, anyone would smoke in today's
> world. Well, also as a way of self-medicating over whatever.

What's "today's world" to do with it? People smoke if they want to, because it makes you feel good. Same goes for coffee, alcohol, and every other thing that alters your brain chemistry.

Wolf K

Apr 8, 2017, 11:52:58 AM4/8/17
On 2017-04-08 11:04, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I wrote:

>> Actually, the most common smoking-caused death is by heart attack.
>> Anecdote:
>> A doc I knew did some professional brush-up at the Mayo Clinic's cardiac
>> unit in Chicago. This was about 35 years ago. He told me that if the
>> incoming patient was under 50, the intern/resident never asked "Do you
>> smoke?" They always asked "How much do you smoke?." The three weeks my
>> acquaintance was there, no patient claimed they didn't smoke.
> Odd, I thought it was the lungs it damaged.

So did I, until I found out otherwise. Lung cancer is "obviously" linked
to smoking (and other lung-contaminants, such as VOCs, which synergise
with smoking). Heart attacks? Not so much.
"What good is it having lower taxes when you can’t drink the water?”

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 8, 2017, 12:36:57 PM4/8/17
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 16:52:54 +0100, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-04-08 11:04, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>
> I wrote:
>
>>> Actually, the most common smoking-caused death is by heart attack.
>>> Anecdote:
>>> A doc I knew did some professional brush-up at the Mayo Clinic's cardiac
>>> unit in Chicago. This was about 35 years ago. He told me that if the
>>> incoming patient was under 50, the intern/resident never asked "Do you
>>> smoke?" They always asked "How much do you smoke?." The three weeks my
>>> acquaintance was there, no patient claimed they didn't smoke.
>> Odd, I thought it was the lungs it damaged.
>
> So did I, until I found out otherwise. Lung cancer is "obviously" linked
> to smoking (and other lung-contaminants, such as VOCs, which synergise
> with smoking). Heart attacks? Not so much.

I know many people who have died of heart attacks. Most were non smokers. Isn't the usual cause a bad diet?

--
What's the ultimate in rejection?
Having a wank and your hand goes to sleep!

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 8, 2017, 12:52:00 PM4/8/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 19:33:46 +0100, notX <no.e...@dummy.invalid> wrote:

> On 04/03/2017 08:49 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> You see the few with problems, most don't have problems. Anyway it was
>> THEIR choice.
>>

> You think people CHOOSE to get cancer?

They choose to take the risk.

--
If only women came with pull-down menus and on-line help.

Mark Lloyd

Apr 8, 2017, 3:31:13 PM4/8/17

[snip]

>> Thinking of that, I saw a poster in a Doctor's office that from a
>> distance looked like a cigarette. A closer look showed it was money.
>> There was a message about how much smokers spend on the things.
>
> So what? I can drive fast and waste petrol, but it's MY money.

AFAIK, that poster is about letting you know. What you do with that
information is your decision.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Koranic teaching still insists that the sun moves around the earth. How
can we advance when they teach things like that?" -- Taslima Nasrin Time
magazine, 31st Jan 1994

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 8, 2017, 3:55:24 PM4/8/17
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 20:31:11 +0100, Mark Lloyd <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> On 04/08/2017 10:04 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Thinking of that, I saw a poster in a Doctor's office that from a
>>> distance looked like a cigarette. A closer look showed it was money.
>>> There was a message about how much smokers spend on the things.
>>
>> So what? I can drive fast and waste petrol, but it's MY money.
>
> AFAIK, that poster is about letting you know. What you do with that
> information is your decision.

The title of your webpage amuses me. Why is it called "not stupid"? And why do you have a picture of yourself looking a bit dopey?

--
In the UK, 17% of employees are health and safety officers.
Say NO! to health and safety in the workplace, before there are no real workers left!

Wolf K

Apr 8, 2017, 4:15:15 PM4/8/17
Bad genes.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 8, 2017, 4:36:52 PM4/8/17
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 21:15:12 +0100, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-04-08 12:36, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 16:52:54 +0100, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> So did I, until I found out otherwise. Lung cancer is "obviously" linked
>>> to smoking (and other lung-contaminants, such as VOCs, which synergise
>>> with smoking). Heart attacks? Not so much.
>>
>> I know many people who have died of heart attacks. Most were non smokers. Isn't the usual cause a bad diet?
>
> Bad genes.

If you're obese, you're pretty much going to have one.

--
During training exercises, the lieutenant driving down a muddy back road encountered another car stuck in the mud with a red faced colonel at the wheel. "Your jeep stuck, sir?" asked the lieutenant as he pulled alongside.
"Nope," replied the colonel, coming over and handing him the keys, "*Yours* is."

Sprang

Apr 9, 2017, 11:19:38 AM4/9/17
On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 14:31:11 -0500, Mark Lloyd, after 15 edits, wrote this:
> On 04/08/2017 10:04 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Thinking of that, I saw a poster in a Doctor's office that from a
>>> distance looked like a cigarette. A closer look showed it was money.
>>> There was a message about how much smokers spend on the things.
>>
>> So what? I can drive fast and waste petrol, but it's MY money.
>>

> AFAIK, that poster is about letting you know. What you do with that
> information is your decision.

Doctors work for me, not the other way around.
If I need advice, I'll ask my wife or mother.

I've always found it strange, the reverence people give to doctors.
Must be from TV shows and biased marketing.

--
SpringSprangSprung

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 11:30:01 AM4/9/17
Doctors don't know much, they guess at what's wrong with you.

--
Went to the pub with my girlfriend last night.
Locals were shouting "paedophile!" and other names at me, just because my girlfriend is 21 and I'm 50.

Sprang

Apr 9, 2017, 11:39:08 AM4/9/17
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 16:29:47 +0100, James Wilkinson Sword, after 15 edits, wrote this:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 16:16:32 +0100, Sprang <spr...@sprung.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 14:31:11 -0500, Mark Lloyd, after 15 edits, wrote this:
>>> On 04/08/2017 10:04 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> AFAIK, that poster is about letting you know. What you do with that
>>> information is your decision.
>>
>> Doctors work for me, not the other way around.
>> If I need advice, I'll ask my wife or mother.
>>
>> I've always found it strange, the reverence people give to doctors.
>> Must be from TV shows and biased marketing.
>
> Doctors don't know much, they guess at what's wrong with you.

They're real good at billing.
Well, someone they hire is.

I bet if you charged them $3000 to diagnose an automotive problem, then
scheduled another appointment to start another line of diagnostic testing,
because the first test was inconclusive, they would throw a fit.

Mechanics need to invest in posters. :)

--
SpringSprangSprung

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 11:45:01 AM4/9/17
In the UK we have a bottomless pit called the NHS which sucks the life out of everyone in taxes. If you weren't ill to start with, you soon will be.

> Mechanics need to invest in posters. :)

Apparently here in the UK, some mechanics will charge you for not fixing a fault. Why people use such disreputable garages, and why they pay up, I don't know. If no work has been done, they don't get paid, simple.

--
Why did the nigger cross the road?
I tugged his neck-chain in that direction.

Sprang

Apr 9, 2017, 11:54:51 AM4/9/17
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 16:44:51 +0100, James Wilkinson Sword, after 15 edits, wrote this:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 16:36:02 +0100, Sprang <spr...@sprung.invalid> wrote:

>>> Doctors don't know much, they guess at what's wrong with you.
>>
>> They're real good at billing.
>> Well, someone they hire is.
>>
>> I bet if you charged them $3000 to diagnose an automotive problem, then
>> scheduled another appointment to start another line of diagnostic testing,
>> because the first test was inconclusive, they would throw a fit.
>
> In the UK we have a bottomless pit called the NHS which sucks the life out of everyone in taxes. If you weren't ill to start with, you soon will be.

We have a similar thing in the US called Obamacare.
I get to pay for people that like to see doctors frequently.
Seems you will die unless you see a doctor.

>> Mechanics need to invest in posters. :)
>
> Apparently here in the UK, some mechanics will charge you for not fixing a fault. Why people use such disreputable garages, and why they pay up, I don't know. If no work has been done, they don't get paid, simple.

I fix my own vehicle and house.
If I can't, I sell. :)

--
SpringSprangSprung

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 1:35:09 PM4/9/17
So only since your Muslim president got in then. Will Trump not remove that nonsense?

> I get to pay for people that like to see doctors frequently.
> Seems you will die unless you see a doctor.

Precisely why I want rid of the NHS.

>>> Mechanics need to invest in posters. :)
>>
>> Apparently here in the UK, some mechanics will charge you for not fixing a fault. Why people use such disreputable garages, and why they pay up, I don't know. If no work has been done, they don't get paid, simple.
>
> I fix my own vehicle and house.
> If I can't, I sell. :)

I do to a certain extent, but there are some things which if i try to fix on a car I either make a mess or break more parts.

I repaired my air conditioning (replaced a corroded pipe and re-pressurised it), and I can fix anything electrical, but I don't do brakes or oil or tyres. Too much hassle without a ramp and other equipment.

--
Confucius say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

Snit

Apr 9, 2017, 1:57:56 PM4/9/17
On 4/9/17, 10:35 AM, in article op.yyfu4...@red.lan, "James Wilkinson
Sword" <imv...@somewear.com> wrote:

>>> In the UK we have a bottomless pit called the NHS which sucks the life out
>>> of everyone in taxes. If you weren't ill to start with, you soon will be.
>>
>> We have a similar thing in the US called Obamacare.
>
> So only since your Muslim president got in then.

The US never had one.

> Will Trump not remove that nonsense?

He promised to and said it would be easy. Then he tried... and found out
people push back when you threaten them with removing programs that saved
their lives.

Weird, eh?

Sprang

Apr 9, 2017, 2:04:03 PM4/9/17
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 10:57:51 -0700, Snit, after 15 edits, wrote this:

>>> We have a similar thing in the US called Obamacare.
>>
>> So only since your Muslim president got in then.
>
> The US never had one.
>
>> Will Trump not remove that nonsense?
>
> He promised to and said it would be easy. Then he tried... and found out
> people push back when you threaten them with removing programs that saved
> their lives.
>
> Weird, eh?

It's hardly weird that people like other people paying for them.
It's the American dream... For Losers.

--
SpringSprangSprung

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 2:19:37 PM4/9/17
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 18:57:51 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>>> We have a similar thing in the US called Obamacare.
>>
>> So only since your Muslim president got in then.
>
> The US never had one.

Obama is a Muslim.

>> Will Trump not remove that nonsense?
>
> He promised to and said it would be easy. Then he tried... and found out
> people push back when you threaten them with removing programs that saved
> their lives.
>
> Weird, eh?

So your president isn't actually in charge. Do you actually have a government?

--
I got invited to a Muslim party the other night.
It was the fastest game of pass the parcel I've even seen!

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 2:20:01 PM4/9/17
I bet you black folk use the hospitals more, after gang warfare, at your expense.

--
The teacher wrote "Like I ain't had no fun in months" on the board and then she said, "Timmy, how should I correct that?"
Timmy replied, "Maybe get a new boyfriend?"

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 2:24:06 PM4/9/17
On Wed, 05 Apr 2017 03:05:06 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, I know. Not sure why...
>>
>> An animal that can run 50 times faster than you compared to it's size, and
>> hide behind things and pounce on you in your sleep, ending up in your mouth
>> for you to digest doesn't bother you?
>
> Nope. Lady bugs can do that or at least most of it... and they do not seem
> to disgust most people. I have a fairly large number of spiders living
> around my house -- I live near a lake and they help reduce the level of
> unwanted pests. I like them.

Ladybugs (we stupidly call them ladybirds) don't have 100 times more leg than body, that's why spiders are disgusting.

>>> other than just one of those things like trying
>>> to drink your own spit. You swallow it all day, no issue... now try to spit
>>> into a glass and drink it. YUCK!
>>>
>>> No logic to it, but almost everyone has that reaction.
>>
>> Plenty logic to it. Drinking a lot at once fucks up your digestive system.
>
> I am not talking a full glass worth! Just spit a little into a cup and then
> drink it. Yuck. For that matter, we have mucus from our nose drip down our
> throats all the time... but the thought of sneezing into your hand is not
> pleasant and then eating it is absolutely repulsive. I admit it is for me...
> but why?

Because you can see it.

> I suppose if our own was not gross to us then we might eat others and that
> would spread disease. Still, it is not really logical that our own that we
> eat anyway is so gross.

We don't find our own farts repulsive. Amazing we can tell if it's ours or not. Must be a chemical code in it.

> Not suggesting it should not be. I am certainly not starting a campaign to
> push spit drinking and bugger eating...

I hope you meant booger eating. Bugger eating sounds homosexual and even more disgusting.

> but I realize it is just an
> instinctual response and not really rational.

It avoids, as you said, catching disease. Once it's out of you, your brain probably automatically classes it as somebody else's.

>> We feel ill when about to intake things that could screw up our insides.
>> That's why it's impossible for you to swallow a piece of dogshit.
>
> Never tried. :)

I'm sure you realise you couldn't though.

--
More people in the UK are injured by standing on upturned mains plugs than by electric shocks.

Sprang

Apr 9, 2017, 2:24:52 PM4/9/17
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 19:19:53 +0100, James Wilkinson Sword, after 15 edits, wrote this:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 19:00:58 +0100, Sprang <spr...@sprung.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 10:57:51 -0700, Snit, after 15 edits, wrote this:

>>> The US never had one.

>>> He promised to and said it would be easy. Then he tried... and found out
>>> people push back when you threaten them with removing programs that saved
>>> their lives.
>>>
>>> Weird, eh?
>>>

>> It's hardly weird that people like other people paying for them.
>> It's the American dream... For Losers.
>
> I bet you black folk use the hospitals more, after gang warfare, at your expense.

Fuck me, we have all kinds of idiots.
They are still angry about slavery, for fucks sake.
I guess I'll pay for their hospital stay, so they can shoot me someday. :)

--
SpringSprangSprung

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 2:25:14 PM4/9/17
On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 05:33:45 +0100, Char Jackson <no...@none.invalid> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:49:35 -0400, Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-04-04 22:05, Snit wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I am not talking a full glass worth! Just spit a little into a cup and then
>>> drink it. Yuck. For that matter, we have mucus from our nose drip down our
>>> throats all the time... but the thought of sneezing into your hand is not
>>> pleasant and then eating it is absolutely repulsive. I admit it is for me...
>>> but why?
>>>
>>> I suppose if our own was not gross to us then we might eat others and that
>>> would spread disease. Still, it is not really logical that our own that we
>>> eat anyway is so gross.
>>>
>>> Not suggesting it should not be. I am certainly not starting a campaign to
>>> push spit drinking and bugger eating... but I realize it is just an
>>> instinctual response and not really rational.
>> [...]
>>
>> The aversion to consuming internal fluids is so widespread that it's
>> certainly part of our wiring. I'm more interested in knowing why it
>> varies in intensity, and why there some variation across cultures.
>
> Without the aversion, 'two girls 1 cup' would never have been a thing.

I don't understand why anyone would enjoy that.

--
Someday we'll look back on all this and plough into a parked car.

Sprang

Apr 9, 2017, 2:26:31 PM4/9/17
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 19:19:30 +0100, James Wilkinson Sword, after 15 edits, wrote this:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 18:57:51 +0100, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

>>> So only since your Muslim president got in then.
>>
>> The US never had one.
>
> Obama is a Muslim.
>
>>> Will Trump not remove that nonsense?
>>
>> He promised to and said it would be easy. Then he tried... and found out
>> people push back when you threaten them with removing programs that saved
>> their lives.
>>
>> Weird, eh?
>
> So your president isn't actually in charge. Do you actually have a government?

Not really.
It's like a pep rally at high school.
These fucking dipshits vote for free anything.

--
SpringSprangSprung

Snit

Apr 9, 2017, 2:27:39 PM4/9/17
On 4/9/17, 11:00 AM, in article ocdssp$afj$2...@dont-email.me, "Sprang"
I know... many who wanted to get rid of ObamaCare do not want to have to pay
for their own health insurance. Oh well... deal with it.

> It's the American dream... For Losers.

Thankfully it seems like it is not going anywhere and the freeloaders will
not get their way.

I have been predicting for years, though, that the Republicans will seek to
modify it a little and then rebrand it so they are not forever tied with
being against one of the most popular programs in modern history.

Snit

Apr 9, 2017, 2:30:37 PM4/9/17
On 4/9/17, 11:21 AM, in article ocdu3o$joa$1...@dont-email.me, "Sprang"
Yeah, how dare they be angry about their family history being stolen from
them... and still having direct impacts today. They should just stop asking
for equality.

> I guess I'll pay for their hospital stay, so they can shoot me someday. :)

Sprang

Apr 9, 2017, 2:30:44 PM4/9/17
Being one of the freeloaders, it's funny you need to feel better.
Did you sell a laptop recently?
It was freely given by a better person.

--
SpringSprangSprung

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 2:31:37 PM4/9/17
Do you also have loads of Jews moaning about the war? I gather New York is full of them.

--
What does Michael Jackson like about twenty-eight year olds?
The fact that there are twenty of them.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 2:32:34 PM4/9/17
It's not free, it comes from your taxes. You'd think people would vote for lower taxes. It was calculated once that in the UK one third of what you earn goes to the government in income tax, sales tax, etc, etc.

--
It's called "Windows XP" because its full name, "The Repair Shop and Help-Desk Full Employment Act of 2006", won't fit on the box.

Sprang

Apr 9, 2017, 2:33:58 PM4/9/17
What family history?
They were sold/traded by their own kind.
The people they are angry with are in the ground.
I didn't ask them to be here.
They can go back.
There are boats, and even airplanes.
Bye.

>> I guess I'll pay for their hospital stay, so they can shoot me someday. :)

--
SpringSprangSprung

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 2:36:04 PM4/9/17
?

--
All this "expressionism" in art, personally I think things ought to look like things. To me it's fairly easy to
tell what the artists are trying to say with their smears and swirls -- they're trying to say they can't paint worth a damn.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 2:36:33 PM4/9/17
Imagine how much easier your life would be with a slave. Why did we listen to them?

--
What's a diaphragm?
A trampoline for dickheads.

James Wilkinson Sword

Apr 9, 2017, 2:36:57 PM4/9/17
Agreed.

--
Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Snit

Apr 9, 2017, 2:37:40 PM4/9/17
On 4/9/17, 11:27 AM, in article ocdueq$joa$3...@dont-email.me, "Sprang"
If you had nothing to say why even post? I find that odd.

Sprang

Apr 9, 2017, 2:39:03 PM4/9/17
He has a history in comp.os.linux.advocacy.
A poster there sent him a laptop, freely and out of kindness, for his wofe.
He sold it immediately.

--
SpringSprangSprung
It is loading more messages.