Relativistic train on relativistic wheels

mlwo...@wp.pl

Oct 21, 2016, 5:15:52 AM10/21/16
The wheels of a train have l diameter.
The train accelerates to 0.99c relative to ground observer.
1)Is it possible?
2)What is the period of its wheel cycle (measured by ground observer)?

Wonder what our self-appointed gurus will say about
it...

Sylvia Else

Oct 21, 2016, 7:37:46 AM10/21/16
On 21/10/2016 8:15 PM, mlwo...@wp.pl wrote:
> The wheels of a train have l diameter.

I suspect they have infinitely many.

Sylvia.

mlwo...@wp.pl

Oct 21, 2016, 9:43:07 AM10/21/16
?????
The wheels have infinitely many ... what?

Dirk Van de moortel

Oct 21, 2016, 10:36:47 AM10/21/16
Op 21-okt-2016 om 15:43 schreef mlwo...@wp.pl:
Infinitely many diameters.
And all disintegrating at a speed of about 0.000001 c.

Dirk Vdm

Jim Barthel

Oct 21, 2016, 11:00:40 AM10/21/16
Dirk Van de moortel wrote:

>>> I suspect they have infinitely many.
>>
>> ????? The wheels have infinitely many ... what?
>
> Infinitely many diameters. And all disintegrating at a speed of about
> 0.000001 c. Dirk Vdm

http://russia-insider.com/en/us-blames-northern-lights-russia-imposes-sanctions/ri17149

"One reporter asked about the rumors that world-renowned
astrophysicist, Dr. Neal deGraas Tyson, had been summoned to the
White House to seek his expert advice on exactly what appropriate
counter-measures and retaliation might be available.

“Well . . . Mr. Tyson appears to be a Putin-apologist and commie
sympathizer. When we approached him about this, after he stopped
rudely laughing in our faces, the guy just shrugged his shoulders
and walked away shaking his head. What an arrogant man. We are
keeping our eye on him.”"

Dirk Van de moortel

Oct 21, 2016, 11:58:15 AM10/21/16
Op 21-okt-2016 om 17:00 schreef Jim Barthel:
And... DO NOT STARE AT THE LIGHTS!

Dirk Vdm

Alan Folmsbee

Oct 21, 2016, 12:48:18 PM10/21/16
Not possible. The amount of coal that the train would need to carry would be astronomical. The wheels would fly apart after it reached a speed of 123,000 miles per hour. Steel only has a tensile strength of 0.99 gigapascals per square furlong.

JanPB

Oct 21, 2016, 1:31:22 PM10/21/16
On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 8:00:40 AM UTC-7, Jim Barthel wrote:

> >> ????? The wheels have infinitely many ... what?
> >
> > Infinitely many diameters. And all disintegrating at a speed of about
> > 0.000001 c. Dirk Vdm
>
> http://russia-insider.com/en/us-blames-northern-lights-russia-imposes-sanctions/ri17149

Looks like The Onion.

--
Jan

Sylvia Else

Oct 23, 2016, 8:24:42 PM10/23/16
I wonder if mlwozniak has figured out yet how his thread went so awry.

Sylvia.

abu.ku...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2016, 2:06:38 PM10/24/16
yeah, 18,60,00/1,00,00,00 = 0.99,99,99,99Gp/fl

> > l diameter.
> > The train accelerates to 0.99c relative to ground observer.
> > 1)Is it possible?
> > 2)What is the period of its wheel cycle (measured by ground observer)?

mlwo...@wp.pl

Oct 25, 2016, 2:32:03 AM10/25/16
W dniu poniedziałek, 24 października 2016 20:06:38 UTC+2 użytkownik abu.ku...@gmail.com napisał:
> yeah, 18,60,00/1,00,00,00 = 0.99,99,99,99Gp/fl
>
> > > l diameter.
> > > The train accelerates to 0.99c relative to ground observer.
> > > 1)Is it possible?
> > > 2)What is the period of its wheel cycle (measured by ground observer)?
>
> > astronomical.

Right. According to your Shit - faster the train
is moving slower the wheels rotate.

al...@interia.pl

Oct 25, 2016, 1:44:55 PM10/25/16
W dniu piątek, 21 października 2016 11:15:52 UTC+2 użytkownik mlwo...@wp.pl napisał:
> The wheels of a train have l diameter.
> The train accelerates to 0.99c relative to ground observer.
> 1)Is it possible?

a speed of the top of a rotating wheel is:

--> wr
O---> v
<-- -wr

-------> 2v
----> v - a speed of the center of the wheel
>0

thus a limit for a speed of the wheel is 0.5c

> 2)What is the period of its wheel cycle (measured by ground observer)?

v = 2piR/T => T = 2pi R / v, always.

JanPB

Oct 25, 2016, 2:06:16 PM10/25/16
On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 10:44:55 AM UTC-7, al...@interia.pl wrote:
> W dniu piątek, 21 października 2016 11:15:52 UTC+2 użytkownik mlwo...@wp.pl napisał:
> > The wheels of a train have l diameter.
> > The train accelerates to 0.99c relative to ground observer.
> > 1)Is it possible?
>
> a speed of the top of a rotating wheel is:
>
> --> wr
> O---> v
> <-- -wr
>
> -------> 2v
> ----> v - a speed of the center of the wheel
> >0
>
> thus a limit for a speed of the wheel is 0.5c

Incorrect. The original question was framed within relativity. You are
using Newtonian mechanics.

--
Jan

al...@interia.pl

Oct 25, 2016, 2:35:50 PM10/25/16
Under the SR model everything is the same,
due to the simple math convention:

t' = c'/c t; an artificial time-parameter.

Thus the correct: c' = c-v, is simply replaced by c' = c,
and the pseudotime:
t' = ble ble.
The rest remains the same, because: r' = c't = ct' = r';
geometry doesn't care about human's stupidity at all.

JanPB

Oct 25, 2016, 3:13:58 PM10/25/16
No, wrong. 2v =/= 2v/(1 + v^2).

--
Jan

al...@interia.pl

Oct 25, 2016, 3:23:12 PM10/25/16
W dniu wtorek, 25 października 2016 20:06:16 UTC+2 użytkownik JanPB napisał:
Using the real Lorentz contraction,
for v = c:

|---> c

|---> c

|---> c
============== some road

the all point of the circle moves at c.

The top speed is not 2c because there is the extremal contraction...
dL/dt = -c.
2c + -c = c

similarily the point on bottom:
0 + c = c.

because at this point the expansion is extremal: dL/dt = +c,
etc.

Look at a middle point:
the speed is usualy: sqrt(v^2 + (wr)^2) = sqrt2 v;

but in this stupid example it is equal to c too,
because now the contraction is infinite,
thus the central part of the wheel is infinitely dense:
the mass just flows from this point with zero speed, but with infinite density:
m * v = const.

JanPB

Oct 25, 2016, 6:23:02 PM10/25/16
Before answering your mistakes, let me ask you this elephant in the room
type question:

Do you really think, even for a split second, that you CAN be correct here?
You know what this would imply, don't you.

(Just testing if you're simply too far gone or it's merely a language
problem.)

--
Jan

al...@interia.pl

Oct 26, 2016, 10:12:31 AM10/26/16
The problem is infinitely too hard for you,
and for any other childern in the sci.

More! This problem is over the actual science in general...
This's a type of PDE-problem in fact, not any stupid cinematics.

al...@interia.pl

Oct 26, 2016, 10:23:29 AM10/26/16
The SR formula for addition is just a rescaling speed wrt the maximal speed,
thus to light speed.

Look at this:

v' = dx'/dt' = ble ble

the actual speed is in fact: dx'/dt,
so if you want to rescale this number by the light speed,
then you must use c' in a role of an unit of speed:

dx' / dt * c/c', what is just: dx'/dt',
bacause: r' = cdt' = c'dt => dt' = c'/c dt

This is the same like using the naked number: v/c = <-1,1>
in place of the speed v = <-c,c>.

Dirk Van de moortel

Oct 26, 2016, 4:27:23 PM10/26/16
Op 24-okt-2016 om 02:24 schreef Sylvia Else:
Apparently not :-|
Language barrier.
Intelligence barrier.

Dirk Vdm