The Rule Of 72

The Starmaker

Jun 16, 2017, 1:27:29 PM6/16/17

William Elliot

Jun 18, 2017, 3:46:57 AM6/18/17
What's the rule of 72?

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 18, 2017, 10:30:04 AM6/18/17
In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.17...@panix5.panix.com>,
The only Rule of 72 I know of appears from time to time in the
"fortune" login message on my UNIX machine. As follows:

> I'm going through my "I want to go back to New York" phase today.
> Happens every six months or so. So, I thought, perhaps unwisely,
> that I'd share it with you.

> In New York in the winter it is million degrees below zero and
> the wind travels at a million miles an hour down 5th avenue.
> And in LA it's 72.

> In New York in the summer it is a million degrees and the
> humidity is a million percent.
> And in LA it's 72.

> In New York there are a million interesting people.
> And in LA there are 72.

And no, I don't think Einstein wrote it.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

hanson

Jun 18, 2017, 12:08:35 PM6/18/17

"William Elliot" <ma...@panix.com> wrote:
> What's the rule of 72?
>
> <star...@ix.netcom.com> the SternKacker wrote:
>> Einstein did not create The Rule Of 72.

hanson wrote:
<http://tinyurl.com/Tears-for-Einsteins-Misery>
who was arrested for wife-beating in 1906, twice,
and AE did not create anything and much less
Rule 72 which is position 69 with 3 people watching.

David Bernier

Jun 18, 2017, 12:38:26 PM6/18/17
LA: "Less Than Zero" (the novel) is set in Los Angeles ...

ref.: Less Than Zero (Wikipedia),

< https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less_Than_Zero_(novel) > .

David Bernier

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 18, 2017, 3:45:08 PM6/18/17
In article <oi6a35$ee5$1...@dont-email.me>,
Well, yucch.

The Starmaker

Jun 19, 2017, 1:46:43 PM6/19/17
jmfbahciv wrote:

> Jack Fearnley wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 13:21:35 +0000, jmfbahciv wrote:
> >

> >> But it's a fast way to estimate the time to double the original amount
> >> when the interest or dividends are reinvested.
> >>
> >> IIRC, divide 72 by the percentage. That will give the number of year to
> >> double the original amount.
> >>
> >> /BAH
> >
> > The exact doubling time is log(2)/log(1+r/100).
> > If we expand log in a Taylor series and take only the first term
> > we get the approximate doubling time as 100*log(2)/r.
> > That is 69.315/r.
> >
> > So why don't we use a rule of 69 or a rule of 70?
> >
> > It turns out that, in the range 1% to 10% and rounded to whole years, 72
> > is more accurate than 69.315.
> >
> > I found this quite surprising.
>
> There are a lot of accounting tricks having to with 9s. I suppose people
> aren't being taught these rules since most accounting is done by computer
> rather than "by hand". ISTM there was a book published which described
> these "9" tricks. I always meant to figure out proofs for them but
> life got in the way :-). When you first encounter these tricks of the
> trade, you think it's magic.
>
> /BAH

You mean like the value someone came up with the speed of light accounting trick:

299,792,458 meters per second

299

it ends like a 99.9 percent ( how these guys think when they are unsure)

299...just short of 300

keeping it under the true value of over 300,000,000.

Then I notice other "9" patterns...

299,792,458

792

7+2=9

458

4+5=9

299,792,458 meters per second is an accounting trick, isn't it????

The Starmaker

Jun 19, 2017, 11:00:51 PM6/19/17
Okay...going a step further on the "9" accounting trick..

How many nines are there in 299,792,458?

There are three numbered "9"'s
There are 4+5=9 and 7+2=9 2+7=9
So that totals 3 more "9"s
Then you have nine digits - 299,792,458

299,792,458 meters per second is an accounting trick, isn't it????

What is the speed of light? 99999999999999999999999998

good thing i'm not good at arithmetic...

jmfbahciv

Jun 20, 2017, 8:12:57 AM6/20/17
[some newsgroups elided]
I'm not talking about numerology. I'm talking about real accounting
and bookkeeping practices. IIRC, one of the "9" tricks helped
a bookkeeper figure out if an imbalance was caused by transposing
two numbers. there were many more little tricks to figure out
mistakes.

/BAH

The Starmaker

Jun 20, 2017, 10:28:13 AM6/20/17
Well, if that is the case then the speed of light should read: 299,792,459

somebody must have made a mistake somewhere...

(i was wondering how that "8" got in there...)

Jack Fearnley

Jun 20, 2017, 10:58:36 AM6/20/17
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:12:35 +0000, jmfbahciv wrote:

> I'm not talking about numerology. I'm talking about real accounting and
> bookkeeping practices. IIRC, one of the "9" tricks helped a bookkeeper
> figure out if an imbalance was caused by transposing two numbers. there
> were many more little tricks to figure out mistakes.
>
> /BAH

This trick is usually called 'casting out nines'.

You can get lots of info if you Google it.

Jack Fearnley

jmfbahciv

Jun 21, 2017, 8:55:29 AM6/21/17
Ah, thank you. I could not remember what it was called.

/BAH

jmfbahciv

Jun 21, 2017, 8:55:29 AM6/21/17
The Starmaker wrote:
> jmfbahciv wrote:
>>
>> [some newsgroups elided]

<snip>

> Well, if that is the case then the speed of light should read: 299,792,459
>

> somebody must have made a mistake somewhere...
>
> (i was wondering how that "8" got in there...)

The fact that you didn't read anything I wrote is noted.

/BAH

The Starmaker

Jun 21, 2017, 3:19:07 PM6/21/17
i think you said it was numerlogy and not an accounting trick, so...it's all about the number "9" in the
world of numerology.

In numerolgy the number "9" it always becomes a 9 using some sort of trick.

if that is the case then the speed of light should read: 299,792,459

maybe you just don't know ...numerology.

The fact that you didn't understand anything I wrote is noted.

You might know math but you don't know your numbers.

jmfbahciv

Jun 22, 2017, 8:29:19 AM6/22/17
The Starmaker wrote:
> jmfbahciv wrote:
>>
>> The Starmaker wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>> > Well, if that is the case then the speed of light should read:
299,792,459

>> > somebody must have made a mistake somewhere...
>> >
>> > (i was wondering how that "8" got in there...)
>>
>> The fact that you didn't read anything I wrote is noted.
>>
>> /BAH
>

> i think you said it was numerlogy and not an accounting trick, so...it's all
about the number "9" in the
> world of numerology.

That's not what I wrote. Your flip flopped when it shouldh't have.

<snip nonsense>

/BAH

The Starmaker

Jun 22, 2017, 11:58:29 AM6/22/17

jmfbahciv

Jun 23, 2017, 7:41:04 AM6/23/17
Do you know what the word "not" means?

hmmm...perhaps this is the cause of all the confusion you have in
your posts.

/BAH

The Starmaker

Jun 23, 2017, 1:12:03 PM6/23/17
Well, I wasn't talking about "numerology" beforehand, ...but since You seem to recognize it as "numerology" then you
are stating it was ...numerology.

I mean...that's How I read it, I don't know How You read it, I can only go by your words, not your intentions.

But...you're problably a Number person and not a Word person.

I'm not a Number person...

jmfbahciv

Jun 24, 2017, 7:40:59 AM6/24/17
But you were doing numerology in the text which has been elided; it was
a half-assed numerology rendition.

> I mean...that's How I read it, I don't know How You read it, I can only go
by your words, not your intentions.

> But...you're problably a Number person and not a Word person.

No wonder you have problems in this newsgroup's topics. I'm beginning
to understand how you think.

> I'm not a Number person...

/BAH

Valok Planek

Jun 24, 2017, 7:46:02 AM6/24/17
jmfbahciv wrote:

>> But...you're problably a Number person and not a Word person.
>
> No wonder you have problems in this newsgroup's topics. I'm beginning
> to understand how you think.
>
>> I'm not a Number person...
>
> /BAH

You are insulting me by saying /BAH.

The Starmaker

Jun 24, 2017, 12:12:38 PM6/24/17
I wasn't really aware I was doing numerology...I thought I was doing science math highly advanced mathematics!

> > I mean...that's How I read it, I don't know How You read it, I can only go
> by your words, not your intentions.
> >
> > But...you're problably a Number person and not a Word person.
>
> No wonder you have problems in this newsgroup's topics. I'm beginning
> to understand how you think.

I wasn't really aware I was...thinking.

> > I'm not a Number person...
>
> /BAH

humbug/

jmfbahciv

Jun 25, 2017, 9:51:56 AM6/25/17
The Starmaker wrote:
> jmfbahciv wrote:

>> > Well, I wasn't talking about "numerology" beforehand, ...but since You
seem
>> to recognize it as "numerology" then you
>> > are stating it was ...numerology.
>>
>> But you were doing numerology in the text which has been elided; it was
>> a half-assed numerology rendition.
>
> I wasn't really aware I was doing numerology...I thought I was doing science
> math highly advanced mathematics!

I'm not aware of any advanced science math which is dependent on counting
the occurrence of numerals in all values.

>> No wonder you have problems in this newsgroup's topics. I'm beginning
>> to understand how you think.
>

> I wasn't really aware I was...thinking.

ROTFLMAO.

>> /BAH
>
> humbug/

A very old worn-out joke.

/BAH

jmfbahciv

Jun 25, 2017, 9:51:56 AM6/25/17
If you're insulted with this, you need to reexamine your assumptions.

/BAH