accommodative excess and exophoria

mis...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2007, 10:38:21 AM6/18/07

I have the following problems (after being tested by orthoptist):
- accommodative excess (or spasm of accommodation)
- intermittent exophoria
- pseudomyopia of over one diopter in exophorix eye

I may also have convergence insufficiency, is this possible?

Would the prescription of base-in prism help to alleviate eystrain
(mainly associated with close work)?

What is the most effective way of reducing the pseudomyopia in the
exotropic eye?

Dr Judy

Jun 18, 2007, 10:53:30 AM6/18/07
On Jun 18, 10:38 am, miss...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have the following problems (after being tested by orthoptist):
> - accommodative excess (or spasm of accommodation)
> - intermittent exophoria

Do you mean intermittent exotropia? Exophoria is not usually
described as intermittent

> - pseudomyopia of over one diopter in exophorix eye

Do you mean exotropic eye? One eye alone cannot be exophoric.
Pseudomyopia is the same as spasm of accommodation.

> I may also have convergence insufficiency, is this possible?

Exo deviation is convergence insufficiency.

> Would the prescription of base-in prism help to alleviate eystrain
> (mainly associated with close work)?

Yes. Base in prism will relieve the exo/convergence insufficiency
problem.

> What is the most effective way of reducing the pseudomyopia in the
> exotropic eye?

Using the base in prism along with some vision training exercises that
your orthoptist will provide.

In exotropia, the eyes do not converge enough. You can increase
convergence by exercising accommodation, thus leading to spasm and
pseudomyopia. When the accommodation relaxes, the convergence
decreases and the exotropia becomes manifest. Hence the exotropia is
intermittent: when accommodating it is gone, when relaxed it is back.

By using base in prism you reduce the amount of convergence needed to
be supplied by the eyes, so accommodation can relax and the
pseudomyopia will be gone. It will take some training to fully teach
your eyes to relax.

Dr Judy

mis...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2007, 11:08:22 AM6/18/07
On Jun 18, 4:53 pm, Dr Judy <mpac...@rogers.com> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:38 am, miss...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I have the following problems (after being tested by orthoptist):
> > - accommodative excess (or spasm of accommodation)
> > - intermittent exophoria
>
> Do you mean intermittent exotropia? Exophoria is not usually
> described as intermittent

Yes, sorry intermittent exotropia. Is there a difference between
exotropia and exophoria?

> > - pseudomyopia of over one diopter in exophorix eye
>
> Do you mean exotropic eye? One eye alone cannot be exophoric.
> Pseudomyopia is the same as spasm of accommodation.

Yes, the exotropic eye. Only one of my eyes squints, as far as I know
but both have pseudomyopia, the exotropic one more than the normal
eye.

> > I may also have convergence insufficiency, is this possible?
>
> Exo deviation is convergence insufficiency.
>

> Does that mean that anyone with exotropia also suffers from -convergence insufficiency?

> > Would the prescription of base-in prism help to alleviate eystrain
> > (mainly associated with close work)?
>
> Yes. Base in prism will relieve the exo/convergence insufficiency
> problem.
>

> Do you think a different rx is needed for reading/computer work as well as the necessary prism correction? Is it a bad idea to wear a minus overcorrection?

Dr Judy

Jun 18, 2007, 2:08:26 PM6/18/07
On Jun 18, 11:08 am, miss...@gmail.com wrote:

> > Does that mean that anyone with exotropia also suffers from -convergence insufficiency?

Technically, exo at near is convergence insufficiency and exo at far
is called divergence excess.

> > Do you think a different rx is needed for reading/computer work as well as the necessary prism correction?

Possibly, depends upon your age and refractive error.

> Is it a bad idea to wear a minus overcorrection?

Wearing minus will increase your pseudomyopia and may increase eye
strain at near. This is a way to increase convergence but only works
well in children; adults naturally lose their ability to accommodate
as they get older. If you have eyestrain now due to excess
accommodation you may find extra minus to be uncomfortable.

Dr Judy