RDA for Amino Acids??

RF

Mar 16, 2009, 2:05:20 AM3/16/09
I have looked everywhere for this data and came up
with only one source - a vegetarian web site. It
had only 6 or 7 values and several of them were
combined - not very useful. Thousands of useless
hits come up in searches.

Hhheeelllppp pppllleeeaaassseee :-)

TIA

Mark Thorson

Mar 16, 2009, 2:54:55 AM3/16/09

Try searching for "essential amino acids".

Note that several of the amino acids are
interconvertible in humans, so an excess of
one can satisfy a deficiency of another.

On the other hand, some are not interconvertible,
like cysteine. No way are you going to pop a
sulfur group onto some other amino acid to turn
it into cysteine.

Paul Antonik Wakfer

Mar 16, 2009, 2:02:43 AM3/16/09

I know of no official RDA values for amino acids.
There is a nice table of estimated requirements by age group in
Chapter 2 section "Amino Acid Requirements" in Modern Nutrition in
Health and Disease" Editors: Shils, Olson, Shike and Ross. In my 11th
ed this is on page 41. The book is sometimes called the "bible" of
nutrition and should be available in any university library.

--Paul Wakfer

MoreLife for the rational - http://morelife.org
Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality
The Self-Sovereign Individual Project - http://selfsip.org
Self-sovereignty, rational pursuit of optimal lifetime happiness,
individual responsibility, social preferencing & social contracting

RF

Mar 17, 2009, 10:18:49 PM3/17/09

Thanks Paul.

Isn't there a good reason to know the RDAs?

Ron Peterson

Mar 17, 2009, 11:26:59 PM3/17/09
On Mar 16, 1:05 am, RF <R...@NoDen.con> wrote:
> I have looked everywhere for this data and came up
> with only one source - a vegetarian web site. It
> had only 6 or 7 values and several of them were
> combined - not very useful.  Thousands of useless
> hits come up in searches.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/45/1/101 indicates that
an amino acid imbalance can cause problems.

A moderate amount of animal protein can keep the amino acids in
balance. That balance depends on whether one is a growing child or an
adult.

You might want to look at total daily protein requirements instead.

--
Ron

RF

Mar 18, 2009, 1:58:59 AM3/18/09

Thanks Ron for the info.

The supplement manufacturers are remarkably quiet
about the imbalance you mentioned. I haven't
touched animal protein since 1973.

RF

Mar 19, 2009, 3:09:46 PM3/19/09

Thanks Mark for the suggestion.

That search does reduce the possibilities but it's
still
like searching the Sahara.

PeterB

Mar 19, 2009, 5:08:45 PM3/19/09
On Mar 18, 1:58 am, RF <R...@NoDen.con> wrote:

> The supplement manufacturers are remarkably quiet
> about the imbalance you mentioned. I haven't
> touched animal protein since 1973.

Hi RF, the reason for that is the fact that RDAs for these simply
don't exist. You would have to have a nitrogen balance analysis to
determine your individual needs based on what passes through you, but
that's not necessary. Being vegetarian, assuming your genetics
support a meat-free diet (time will tell), you may want to try
"Genesis Today" brand liquid protein, it's more assimilable than whey-
based amino acids or anything in pill form, but it's processed using
milk protein, so if you're vegan, try NOW Foods or Jarrow for a
vegetarian product, those are reputable brands.

PeterB

Mar 19, 2009, 5:12:13 PM3/19/09
On Mar 18, 1:58 am, RF <R...@NoDen.con> wrote:

> The supplement manufacturers are remarkably quiet
> about the imbalance you mentioned. I haven't
> touched animal protein since 1973.

I meant to say you might try NOW Foods or Jarrow brand for a *vegan*
formula...

Paul Antonik Wakfer

Mar 20, 2009, 2:53:58 AM3/20/09
On Mar 17, 7:18 pm, RF <R...@NoDen.con> wrote:
> Paul Antonik Wakfer wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 11:05 pm, RF <R...@NoDen.con> wrote:
> >> I have looked everywhere for this data and came up
> >> with only one source - a vegetarian web site. It
> >> had only 6 or 7 values and several of them were
> >> combined - not very useful. Thousands of useless
> >> hits come up in searches.
>
> >> Hhheeelllppp pppllleeeaaassseee :-)
>
> >> TIA
>
> > I know of no official RDA values for amino acids.
> > There is a nice table of estimated requirements by age group in
> > Chapter 2 section "Amino Acid Requirements" in Modern Nutrition in
> > Health and Disease" Editors: Shils, Olson, Shike and Ross. In my 11th
> > ed this is on page 41. The book is sometimes called the "bible" of
> > nutrition and should be available in any university library.
>
> > --Paul Wakfer
>
> > MoreLife for the rational -http://morelife.org

> > Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality
> > The Self-Sovereign Individual Project -http://selfsip.org

> > Self-sovereignty, rational pursuit of optimal lifetime happiness,
> > individual responsibility, social preferencing & social contracting
>
> Thanks Paul.
>
> Isn't there a good reason to know the RDAs?

Clearly you did not understand my statement "I know of no official RDA
values for amino acids."
It means that as far as I know, there exist no RDA values for
individual amino acids, only for total protein intake.

The book listed above has dozens of tables of RDA values from many
different countries, but does not have a table of RDA values for amino
acids. Therefore, my conclusion that there are no such RDA values.

--Paul

Jan Drew

Mar 21, 2009, 12:13:00 AM3/21/09

"Ron Peterson" <r...@shell.core.com> wrote in message

--
Ron

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2009/03/07/ama_funds_medical_research_in_mass/

So much for Harvard Medical school which is funded by the AMA.
*Organized medicine*

RF

Mar 21, 2009, 3:52:28 AM3/21/09

Thank you Peter for your comments. I do buy both
Jarrow and Now Foods products.

I am not totally vegan - I do like yogurt very
much and eat it regularly. On my last visit to
Costco, I found an interesting amino acid source.
It is called Whey Protein Isolate - a milk
derivative. It has large amounts of most of the
amino acids and has digestive enzymes added.
According to the blurb on the container this
isolate is 99% bioavailable and has no synthetic
ingredients or artificial flavorings. They say
it's much more bioavailable than the protein
concentrates. It's made by Quality Formulation
Labs in Paterson, N.J. A 3 lb (1.36 kg) pack of
it costs in the low $20s.

In a one ounce dose, the amino acid values vary
from a maximum of 3,829 mg for glutamine down to a
minimum of 75 mg for cysteine. They list 18 acids.
The average value is around 1,100 mg and that
should satisfy me for the moment at least.

Have a great weekend :-)

RF

Mar 21, 2009, 7:45:12 PM3/21/09

When I read this:

"AMA funds medical research in Mass.
March 7, 2009

BOSTON—The charity arm of the American Medical
Association says seven Massachusetts physicians
are among 28 scientists nationwide who will
receive grants to conduct clinical research.

The medical students, physician residents and
fellows will receive $2,500 each to conduct
research on HIV/AIDS, Leukemia, adverse conditions
related to abnormal growth or a tumor. They can
also research cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases."
<snip>

my first thought was that the date was from around
1890.

Nowadays, these physcians could very probably get
that $2,500 by just smiling at a Pharma Drug
salesman. Then why bother doing 15 minutes of
research for a paltry $2,500?