What Does Nursing Mean To You?

Agonist

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
After seeing many posts here and many of them negative. I am curious
as to what you all (all of you) think nursing is? And what you can do
to make it better.

What nursing means to me... (I am not going to start as it may sway
your thoughts and opinions from the originator of the thead)

TC3

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
Nursing is my profession, my love, and what makes me feel good...yes, it has
it's hazards! But I am always proud to tell someone I am a nurse. I really
don't have any negative feelings, I do get very stressed but I always go
back to that nursing school mantra "why did you get into it in the first
place" and then I remember all the reasons, I have a lot, and then move on.
I decided early on to adapt to change in the field, and that has given me
success. Cheryl

--
C.C.
Agonist <Or...@strater.org> wrote in message

Jdawsn

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
After 15 years as a nurse,I have reached the following conclusions:
-I am glad I chose nursing as a career.I have witnessed miracles that defy
explanation.I have learned so much from my patients and peers about the biology
of the human body,the workings of the psyche,and the endless limits of the
human spirit.I am proud that i could ease the suffering of patients and their
families.I remain in awe of the abilities at my fingertips,skills i have
learned over the years.
There is a degree of self-fulfillmeent to be respected by my peers and
physicians,patients and their families for my knowledge,abilities,and caring .I
am glad I have a job as flexible as nursing,that has enabled me to be there for
my family,even though I have always worked full time.
Nursing is what you make of it.It is a self-fulfilling prophecy.Sure,it has
it's down side,that's what we generally discuss here.
I wouldn't do anything else.
Beth
*
*
"It gives me great pleasure to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible
nonconformist so warmly acclaimed" - ALBERT EINSTEIN

FOR JAX

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Bear with me, its lengthy........ ..>What nursing means to
me......
being a student nurse in an OB clinical rotation and finding a lump on a new
moms breast during my initial assessment....later that year she is a pt. at
the facility where I am working in the Recovery Room and she tells her nurse
that she had a student nurse that "saved" her life 6 mo. earlier and we met
again. Prognosis was poor, 40 yo, lymph node involvment (8), mets to the bone,
brain...she died before her baby was 1 yr old...I held her husband and baby in
my arms and wept at her funeral...
>What nursing means to me...
Moved into a new home, neighborhood, several months later at 11:30 at noc there
was screaming and banging on my door..."HELP, my baby is not breathing" ( Oh
****, I think
I never did CPR on a real baby, oh god please help me do this..) Found baby
unresponsive, gray, but w/ a heartbeat..did
breaths,(which go in easier on a real baby) no response, made several more
attempts and she let out the faintest but consistent little cry i have ever
heard, paramedics arrived..I held the baby and dad in my arms crying with
joy...
Nursing has challenged me to succeed in the job of life, I quote Ralph Waldo
Emerson, "to know even one life breathed easier because you have lived..this is
to have succeeded"... Thanks for asking...jax R.N.

TC3

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
jax,
That brought tears to my eyes, you are a great nurse and person.Cheryl

--
C.C.
FOR JAX <for...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Bear with me, its lengthy........ ..>What nursing means
> me......
> being a student nurse in an OB clinical rotation and finding a lump on a
new
> moms breast during my initial assessment....later that year she is a pt.
at
> the facility where I am working in the Recovery Room and she tells her
nurse
> that she had a student nurse that "saved" her life 6 mo. earlier and we
met
> again. Prognosis was poor, 40 yo, lymph node involvment (8), mets to the
bone,
> brain...she died before her baby was 1 yr old...I held her husband and
baby in
> my arms and wept at her funeral...
> >What nursing means to me...
> Moved into a new home, neighborhood, several months later at 11:30 at noc
there
> was screaming and banging on my door..."HELP, my baby is not breathing"

Richard_or_Dottie_Marsh

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
After >40 years, and now retired (sort of), I can say that I can't imagine
having done anything else. Have held an incredible variety of interesting
jobs, both in staff & mgt, have met many wonderful health care workers--both
professional and non-professional, and have cared for many pts whom I'll never
forget---some for their courage, others for less than admirable qualities.

One story: 53 y.o. guy with a basilar stroke came to our rehab unit. Kept
having setback after setback, but was finally able to leave with a quad cane.
First, he sent me a picture of himself walking in his drive with his quad
cane. A bit later, he sent a picture of himself with a straight cane. Then
one holding his cane in the air. Then one out on his boat. Finally, he came
to see us because he was back in town to appear on a TV program about surviving
stroke.

The success stories make it great, but so is knowing that you helped people get
through the stories that weren't so successful. So's the opportunity to work
with so many caring people, like the nursing assistant who made pretty turbans
for the chemo pts who lost their hair. Or the doc who came in to donate blood
for one of his patients when they couldn't get a match.

Right now, I'm volunteering as the nurse mgr at the Free Clinic here, and I
love it.
It's really great to see people who first came in in such deplorable
shape--blood sugar in the 300's or BP 240/120, and subsequently seeing them in
good control, losing weight, exercising, and looking healthier and happier.
The nurses I work with are terrific; the docs treat the patients as if they
were millionaires; the residents who volunteer are learning a lot about
compassion; the diabetic nurse educator has people controlling their disease
who haven't been controlled in years.

Maybe one of the best things about nursing is that you can continue to do it
after you've retired, and still make a modicum of difference in somebody's
life.

Dottie M

FOR JAX

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Thank-you for the kind words, I tend to be passionate about nursing, all of the
other"negativity" I feel is a by-product of a profession that is stressed out
and overwhelmed with the responsibility of doing the absolute best for your pts
despite short staffing, increased acquity of the pts, and the
long hours., for me it was the lack of support from administration and
management to "listen and hear" valid concerns from nursing staff and my
inability to accept decisions they were making that would affect how I was to
do the job. But nursing is not that..it is between you and your pt., that is
what matters to me in the big picture.

anapau...@my-deja.com

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
In article <3752ca39...@news.flash.net>,

Or...@strater.org (Agonist) wrote:
> After seeing many posts here and many of them negative. I am curious
> as to what you all (all of you) think nursing is? And what you can do
> to make it better.
>
> What nursing means to me... (I am not going to start as it may sway
> your thoughts and opinions from the originator of the thead)
I never thought I want to be a nurse. Sincerely, I went to nursing
school saying: "If I don't like it, I will live". But then, every time
I was in practice I liked it more and more. I'm a nurse since 1986 and
a nursing teacher since 1992 and I say: It's everything. I even can't
imagine my live without beeing a nurse. I have a 19 years old child
that is in the nursing school and he says that he wants to be a nurse
bacause of what he have since from his mother since he was a baby. So,
nurse is wonderful and nurses are the best people in the world.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Alynne7725

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
nursing means making a difference for someone in the most stressful time of
their life. we once took care of a man who was hospitalized for 9 months. he
wasnt expected to live. well, he did live, and we were invited to his wedding!
talk about uplifting!