STARTING DENTIST SALARY and Chain Dental vs Private Practice

kata...@yahoo.com

Oct 31, 2005, 11:12:54 PM10/31/05
My wife graduated from dental school, finished a G.P.R program. She
started looking for a job and got an offer from Great Lakes Dental
Corporation, a chain dental. They have a 14 page contract with a lot of
lawyer lingo in there. Bottom line is the offer is for $86450 salary
and some more if you make certain business. She has also talked to
couple of private pracitces and they are interested. I doubt they will
pay this much.

We are not so much worried about the amount of the offer itself. It is
a lot of money, therefore $10000 less would be ok too. The question
that we have is " Is it a good idea to join such a Chain Dental? Will
she learn anything there or will it be like and assembly line of dental
patients? Will she be able to do a good job and be ethical while
working for a chain. I always think long term and do not want to take
the offer for the money. How does it compare to join as an associate
and make less compared to joining a chain dental. What is a decent
starting salary when you join a private practice?

Thanks

V K

Dartos

Nov 1, 2005, 9:59:57 AM11/1/05

I would be very cautious about a large chain. I would also be
cautious about private offices.

She has to find an office where her ethics and practice style match
up. You also want to find an opportunity where she is treated fairly
and not just someone to take care of the 'little' stuff while the
owner of the practice skims off all of the high dollar treatment.

'Independent contractor' is another phrase that may be a red flag.

She can't expect to start at the top, but the first or second floor
would be nice. Some places put you in the basement and plan on leaving
you there.

Dartos

jwn dds

Nov 1, 2005, 10:44:25 AM11/1/05
Is this the Canadian or American side of the Great Lakes?

I can't comment too much on what an American dentist makes because I don't
know. In Canada in private practice you can easily earn more than $86,450.
In my first year as owner I made (after overhead... after taxes) roughly
three times that amount. The dental chains do make money off you... a lot
of money off you.

If money was your priority, I'd recommend a small town that is hurting for a
dentist.

If you don't want to be bothered with business decisions/concerns, an
associate in a dental chain could be for you.

JWN DDS

P.S. If you want to make A LOT of money, start a dental chain and have
highly-educated people work for you and pay them peanuts.

<kata...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

W_B

Nov 1, 2005, 11:36:00 AM11/1/05

I wonder about the term of the contract, what are the rules
for dis-associating, and is there a non-compete clause.

If the contract is 14 pages, have it reviewed by an attorney.

--

W_B
Take out the G'RBAGE

Amatus Cremona

Nov 1, 2005, 11:50:02 AM11/1/05

> If the contract is 14 pages, have it reviewed by an attorney.

If the contract is _1_ page, have it reviewed by an attorney.

--
/

Amatus

/
"W_B" <no_...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

W_B

Nov 1, 2005, 12:20:38 PM11/1/05
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:50:02 GMT, "Amatus Cremona" <Nic...@sottovocce.com> wrote:

>> If the contract is 14 pages, have it reviewed by an attorney.
>>

> If the contract is _1_ page, have it reviewed by an attorney.

Good point.

Joel M. Eichen

Nov 1, 2005, 5:15:56 PM11/1/05
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:59:57 -0600, Dartos <tuthj...@myturbonet.com>
wrote:

>I would be very cautious about a large chain. I would also be
>cautious about private offices.

And especially if there is a large ball attached to the large chain

Minnie

Nov 1, 2005, 6:05:46 PM11/1/05
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:15:56 -0500, Joel M. Eichen
<joele...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:59:57 -0600, Dartos <tuthj...@myturbonet.com>
>wrote:
>

>>I would be very cautious about a large chain. I would also be
>>cautious about private offices.
>
>And especially if there is a large ball attached to the large chain

lol.