statins and parkinson's

eml

Jan 16, 2007, 5:41:59 PM1/16/07
I am so in hopes all the individuals with whom the debate about statins
causing neurodegenerative diseases are still on this board---though the
study is just beginning--SOMEONE ELSE THINK STATINS MAY BE IMPLICATED
IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF PARKINSON'S. Yes, I know the study has to be
done first...may we now hear the ridicule from all those who are
convinced that statins cannot have these effects???
'Link' Between Statins and Parkinson's Probed

Posted on: Monday, 15 January 2007, 12:00 CST
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...ource=r_health

EXPERTS sought to reassure patients after scientists announced they
were planning an in-depth study on the link between statins and
Parkinson's disease. The cholesterol-lowering drugs are taken by an
estimated three million Britons and are renowned for preventing heart
attacks and strokes. But now scientists are planning a detailed study
after research showed a link to Parkinson's disease, which affects
about 120,000 people in the UK. Charities urged people to continue
taking their statins, saying the drugs saved lives. According to a
report in the magazine Chemistry & Industry, researchers in the United
States are planning a largescale clinical trial on the link. It comes
after experts, led by Xuemei Huang from the University of North
Carolina, said they had found the strongest link yet between
low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels and Parkinson's. High
levels of LDL cholesterol are linked to heart disease. Statins are
known to reduce these LDL levels. The study of 124 patients revealed
that those with low levels of LDL cholesterol were about three times as
likely to develop Parkinson's disease as those with higher levels.
Study leader Dr Xuemei Huang told the magazine she was worried by the
results. "Yes I am very concerned, which is why I am planning a
16,000-patient prospective study to examine the possible role of
statins, " she said.She said there could be big surges in the number of
Parkinson's cases in the next five years if a link is confirmed.British
experts sought to calm fears, saying there was little or no evidence of
a link.Dr David Dexter, senior lecturer in neuropharmacology at
Imperial College, London, said: "With the evidence we have at the
moment, I would say there is not much cause for concern that statin use
may cause Parkinson's disease. "The study by Huang and colleagues
indicating an association between lower LDL levels and Parkinson's
disease goes against current scientific beliefs."

Message has been deleted

Wordworks2001

Jan 19, 2007, 10:41:25 PM1/19/07
eml,

I was in the Mevacor study in 1986-1988. Mevacor was the first statin.
It turned out I was taking 20mg a day for 18 months in a double blind
study. I also took Lovastatin for about a year before my cardiologist
told me to sto taking it. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in
1996, long after I stopped the MMevacor and five years before my
nuerologist started me on the Lovastatin. Show me a link.

Check ou the Cholesterol Conspiracy link on my blog:
http://wordworks2001.blogspot.com

Jeff