Newton, fast forward

RichD

Dec 14, 2009, 8:02:37 PM12/14/09
If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
what would he be doing?

--
Rich

eric gisse

Dec 14, 2009, 8:04:35 PM12/14/09
RichD wrote:

This is after he has spent a decade with modern pharmacology, Vegas, and an
internet worth of porn, right?

Louis Boyd

Dec 14, 2009, 8:22:36 PM12/14/09
to RichD
RichD wrote:
> If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> what would he be doing?

He'd probably still be trying to pass his physics classes in college.

As one of my professors stated when I was in college in the 1960's:
"Physics teachers give the same tests every year. All that changes are
the correct answerers."

Terrance Hodgins

Dec 14, 2009, 8:48:13 PM12/14/09
"RichD" <r_dela...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> what would he be doing?

Clawing desperately at the lid of his coffin.

RichD

Dec 14, 2009, 8:48:05 PM12/14/09
On Dec 14, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> > what would he be doing?
>
> This is after he has spent a decade with modern pharmacology, Vegas,
> and an internet worth of porn, right?

Vegas? You mean, he invented a system to
beat roulette? Granted, he was a clever fellow, but....

--
Rich

Michael Stemper

Dec 15, 2009, 4:26:00 PM12/15/09
In article <35db13e5-d8a8-422d...@k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,

RichD <r_dela...@yahoo.com> writes:
>If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
>what would he be doing?

Britney Spears.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>

Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr.

Dec 16, 2009, 6:53:05 AM12/16/09
On Dec 14, 5:02 pm, RichD <r_delaney2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> what would he be doing?

Like all Brits these days, he would probably have his own cooking show/
segment on Fox or ABC Nightline, called "Cooking with Apples".

Androcles

Dec 16, 2009, 7:07:38 AM12/16/09

"Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr." <ostap_be...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Nice one, but its more likely he'd be on NASA TV swinging
an apple on a string while aboard the ISS before roasting
Hawking on a spit and grabbing his Lucasian chair back.

jmfbahciv

Dec 16, 2009, 8:02:51 AM12/16/09

Are there apple orchards in Britain?

/BAH

zzbu...@netscape.net

Dec 16, 2009, 9:08:15 AM12/16/09
On Dec 14, 8:02 pm, RichD <r_delaney2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> what would he be doing?

Well, for calculus idiots, it may be more enlightening what he
wouldn't be doing.
He wouldn't be working on Laser Disks, Blue Ray, HDTV, Home
Broadband,
mp3, mpeg, muliplexed fiber optics, Digital Books,
Atomic Clock Wristwatches and post-Gallilean optical computers,

He wouldn't be working on PGP, Microcomputers,
GPS, Digital Terrain Mapping, Post 1900 Cell Phones, and
Distributed Processing Software.

He wouldn't be working on Post Cambridge-nomics, All-In-One
Printers, and Rapid Prototying.

He wouldn't be working on UAVs, Drones, and Post Crow's Nest Navy
Navigation.

He wouldn't be working Laser-Guided Phasors, Holograms, Self-
Replicating Machines,
Self-Assembling Robots, Cyber Batteries, and Post Gutenburg
Publishing,

He wouldn't be working on Stealth Materials, Weather Satellites,
and Post DaVinci Helo Ops.

He wouldn't be working on Hybid-Electric Energy, Microwave
Cooling,
and Post Ferro E-M.

> --
> Rich

Rick Decker

Dec 16, 2009, 9:24:04 AM12/16/09

Yes indeed. While facing increasing competition from foreign sources,
the British apple industry is far from dead.

Regards,

Rick

AES

Dec 16, 2009, 10:25:53 AM12/16/09
RichD <r_dela...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> what would he be doing?

Given some of his avocations 400 years ago, he might be
deep into Scientology.

Mensanator

Dec 16, 2009, 12:57:11 PM12/16/09

With the possible exception of Summerisle.

> Regards,
>
> Rick

RichD

Dec 16, 2009, 2:56:03 PM12/16/09
On Dec 16, AES <sieg...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> > If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> > what would he be doing?
>
> Given some of his avocations 400 years ago, he might be
> deep into Scientology.

They say he died a virgin... though I wonder
how anyone would know...

Anywaay, if we rank him as the Michael
Jordan of the National Genius Assoc.,
I was wondering if he'd still be doing
physics, or would he decide that's played
out, and go into microbiology for the
best prospects?

Or would he still be a mathematician?
After inventing calculus, it seems
anything else would be a letdown...

--
Rich

RichD

Dec 16, 2009, 3:03:19 PM12/16/09
On Dec 16, "zzbun...@netscape.net" <zzbun...@netscape.net> wrote:
> > If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> > what would he be doing?
>
>    Well, for calculus idiots, it may be more
> enlightening what he wouldn't be doing.
>    He wouldn't be working on Laser Disks, Blue Ray,
> HDTV, Home Broadband, mp3, mpeg, muliplexed fiber
> optics, Digital Books, Atomic Clock Wristwatches
>
>  He wouldn't be working on PGP, Microcomputers,
>  GPS, Digital Terrain Mapping, Post 1900 Cell Phones,
>   He wouldn't be working on Post Cambridge-nomics,
> All-In-One Printers, and Rapid Prototying.
>
>  He wouldn't be working Laser-Guided Phasors,
> Holograms, Self-Replicating Machines,

> Self-Assembling Robots, Cyber Batteries, and Post
> Gutenburg Publishing,
>
>   He wouldn't be working on Hybid-Electric Energy,
> Microwave Cooling, and Post Ferro E-M.

Why not?

--
Rich

Helpful person

Dec 16, 2009, 3:31:02 PM12/16/09
On Dec 16, 2:56 pm, RichD <r_delaney2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Or would he still be a mathematician?
> After inventing calculus, it seems
> anything else would be a letdown...
>
> --
> Rich

Did he really invent calculus? Liebnitz is usually given that
accolade. Newton kept all his methods secret and I believe that
Liebnitz argued that Newton stole the idea from him.

www.richardfisher.com

Robert Israel

Dec 16, 2009, 4:17:08 PM12/16/09
Helpful person <rrl...@yahoo.com> writes:

Both Newton and Leibniz invented calculus. Who gets top billing may
vary from country to country. For an account of the controversy,
see e.g.
<http://turnbull.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/Extras/Bossut_Chapter_V.html>
--
Robert Israel isr...@math.MyUniversitysInitials.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel

Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr.

Dec 16, 2009, 8:33:14 PM12/16/09

Of course not. Apples are an American invention. They are as American
as apple pie and motherhood (an American invention too, btw).

zzbu...@netscape.net

Dec 16, 2009, 8:48:03 PM12/16/09

Reason 1) He was a profound believer that light was composes of
particles, not waves.
Reason 2) He was a serious believer in tranmutation of the elements
as
the one true philosophy of economics.
Reason 3) The only thing he knew about ferro anything, was not only
British Law, it was Gregorian Law.

> --
> Rich- Hide quoted text -

zzbu...@netscape.net

Dec 16, 2009, 10:14:07 PM12/16/09
On Dec 16, 8:33 pm, "Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr."

We invented Mother's Day. Just like we invented Labor Day.
Just like we invented The Frisbee Pie Plate. Other people simply
invented laws of gravity.

Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr.

Dec 16, 2009, 10:23:55 PM12/16/09
On Dec 16, 7:14 pm, "zzbun...@netscape.net" <zzbun...@netscape.net>
wrote:

> On Dec 16, 8:33 pm, "Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr."
>

> <ostap_bender_1...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Are there apple orchards in Britain?
>
> > Of course not. Apples are an American invention. They are as American
> > as apple pie and motherhood (an American invention too, btw).
>
>    We invented Mother's Day. Just like we invented Labor Day.

Why is Mother's Day so far removed from Labor Day? You would expect a
Mother's Day immediately after you go into Labor Day.

>    Just like we invented The Frisbee Pie Plate. Other people simply
>    invented laws of gravity.

Bull. Very few people know it, but gravity laws were in full force in
North America long before the arrival of Columbus. They were enforced
with full gravity in most if not all ancient Native American
societies.

krokodyle

Dec 17, 2009, 12:00:17 AM12/17/09

"RichD" <r_dela...@yahoo.com> wrote

> If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> what would he be doing?

why, alchemy and theology of course!
what else ddid tou have in mind?

Y.Porat

Dec 17, 2009, 2:51:16 AM12/17/09

-----------------------------------
> -------------------
> he would expand his first law of movement...
>
> Y.Porat
> -----------------------

jmfbahciv

Dec 17, 2009, 8:26:35 AM12/17/09
Kewl. Thanks for the answer ;-).

/BAH

jmfbahciv

Dec 17, 2009, 8:28:50 AM12/17/09
Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr. wrote:
> On Dec 16, 7:14 pm, "zzbun...@netscape.net" <zzbun...@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>> On Dec 16, 8:33 pm, "Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr."
>>

>> <ostap_bender_1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Of course not. Apples are an American invention. They are as American
>>> as apple pie and motherhood (an American invention too, btw).
>> We invented Mother's Day. Just like we invented Labor Day.
>>

> Why is Mother's Day so far removed from Labor Day? You would expect a
> Mother's Day immediately after you go into Labor Day.

Mothers haven't formed unions.

<snip>

/BAH

p.ki...@ic.ac.uk

Dec 17, 2009, 9:52:11 AM12/17/09
Robert Israel <isr...@math.myuniversitysinitials.ca> wrote:
> Both Newton and Leibniz invented calculus. Who gets top billing may
> vary from country to country. For an account of the controversy,
> see e.g.
> <http://turnbull.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/Extras/Bossut_Chapter_V.html>

Not sure how downloadable the radio prog itself will be for non-UK
users; but there's also the BBC R4 program linked from this --

http://physicsworld.com/blog/2009/09/newtons_wars_ii.html

--
---------------------------------+---------------------------------
Dr. Paul Kinsler

Louis Boyd

Dec 17, 2009, 11:56:42 AM12/17/09

On Dec 15, 3:02 am, RichD <r_delaney2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
>what would he be doing?

Isaac Newton is 367 years old. He's sitting in line waiting to see a
doctor at the National Health Service. You only think he's 30 and
alive because because of a database error. He's tenth in line after
Anne Boleyn who complained of neck pains.

master1729

Dec 17, 2009, 5:03:37 PM12/17/09

number theory and tetration offer alternatives.

> --
> Rich

tommy1729

master1729

Dec 17, 2009, 5:01:33 PM12/17/09
ZZBunker wrote :

why not ?

i think he would actually ...

he wouldnt support ZFC nor woodin cardinals :)

tommy1729

master1729

Dec 17, 2009, 5:10:54 PM12/17/09
helpful person wrote :

FIRST its Leibnitz , not ' Liebnitz '

Second , Leibnitz invented the symbols for calculus.

Third , claiming theft is cheap , newton was more talented so probably first.

and newton applied it to physics , whereas Leibnitz had little reason to invent calculus.

tommy1729

krokodyle

Dec 17, 2009, 5:59:32 PM12/17/09

"RichD" <r_dela...@yahoo.com> wrote

> They say he died a virgin... though I wonder
> how anyone would know...

At least no one bragged about it and he was pretty mum about
the subject, as opposed to others such as Hooke in particular who
was in the habit of sleeping with his ward, his much younger
niece, and cryptically recording in his diary their most successful
encounters.

He is not known for having associated himself closely with
persons of either sex, on the other hand he pursued relentlessly
and mercilessly those he perceived (rightly or wrongly) as his
enemies.

He was very exacting in his duties at the Mint and I believe
that a few of the miscreants he had ferreted out ended up
strung up at the gallows.

The theory du jour is that he had the Asperger "disorder".

> Or would he still be a mathematician?
> After inventing calculus, it seems
> anything else would be a letdown...

Oops, I kind of remember that he did dabble a little in optics,
didn't he?

OK, I have to admit that calculus topped everything else but
physics owes him a few tricks which would have ensured to a
lesser individual his few centuries of fame nonetheless.

Y.Porat

Dec 19, 2009, 11:48:16 AM12/19/09

-------------------
and ??
how about some physics ??

Y.P
------------------------------

krokodyle

Dec 20, 2009, 12:20:12 AM12/20/09

"Louis Boyd" <bo...@apt0.sao.arizona.edu> wrote

Not only her but three of her unfortunate successors in the royal bed.
Not to mention Charles I. A chronic condition among English royalty.

Actually if N. has reached this very advanced age it is because the
National Health Service has provided him with excellent care.

Furthermore because he never was rich he has not had any financial
worries concerning his medical expenses which by now must be large.
This has kept him focused on his work.

Newton is long dead, but the present holder of his Lucasian chair at
Cambridge is Stephen Hawking, we all know that "Stephen Hawking
would be long dead by now if he had kept living in England".

Never mind that Hawking, a genius for sure but not exactly the picture
of health, has always resided in England, mostly in Cambridge and owes,
by his own account, his life to the care received through the NHS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

Androcles

Dec 20, 2009, 4:14:09 AM12/20/09

"krokodyle" <[e^i*pi=-1]@euler.com> wrote in message
Comparing Hawking to Newton is comparing Airfix to Concorde.
http://www.mossie.org/models/Airfix_1-72_mkII-VI-XVIII/Airfix_1.jpg

Raghar

Dec 20, 2009, 7:49:18 AM12/20/09
On Dec 15, 2:02 am, RichD <r_delaney2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> what would he be doing?

Be in jail for copyright violation and computer piracy, or on drugs,
or without school (some schools are really trying to kick out smart
students).

krokodyle

Dec 20, 2009, 12:22:27 PM12/20/09

"Androcles" <Headm...@Hogwarts.physics_q> wrote

> Comparing Hawking to Newton is comparing Airfix to Concorde.

> http://www.mossie.org/models/Airfix_1-72_mkII-VI-XVIII/Airfix_1.jpg

I still see a lot of mosquitoes but nowadays very few Concordes, sadly. :-(

They had to fill the Lucasian chair, after Newton and Dirac that was a tough
act to follow, would Penrose do better?

BTW strictly speaking not all holders of that chair were that memorable.
(Professor Life Dates Chair Dates Specialty)

Isaac Barrow 1630-1677 1664-1669 Classics &Mathematics
Sir Isaac Newton 1642-1727 1669-1702 Mathematics & Physics
William Whiston 1667-1752 1702-1710 Mathematics
Nicolas Saunderson 1682-1739 1711-1739 Mathematics
John Colson 1680-1760 1739-1760 Mathematics
Edward Waring 1736-1798 1760-1798 Mathematics
Isaac Milner 1750-1820 1798-1820 Mathematics & Chemistry
Robert Woodhouse 1773-1827 1820-1822 Mathematics
Thomas Turton 1780-1864 1822-1826 Mathematics
Sir George Airy 1801-1892 1826-1828 Astronomy
Charles Babbage 1792-1871 1828-1839 Mathematics & Computing
Joshua King 1798-1857 1839-1849 Mathematics
Sir George Stokes 1819-1903 1849-1903 Physics & Fluid Mechanics
Sir Joseph Larmor 1857-1942 1903-1932 Physics
Paul Dirac 1902-1984 1932-1969 Physics
Sir M. James Lighthill 1924-1998 1969-1980 Fluid Mechanics
Stephen Hawking 1942- 1980- Theoretical Physics

Androcles

Dec 20, 2009, 2:00:12 PM12/20/09

> "Androcles" <Headm...@Hogwarts.physics_q> wrote
>
>> Comparing Hawking to Newton is comparing Airfix to Concorde.
>
>> http://www.mossie.org/models/Airfix_1-72_mkII-VI-XVIII/Airfix_1.jpg
>
> I still see a lot of mosquitoes but nowadays very few Concordes, sadly.
> :-(

Airfix doesn't make a 1:72 scale mosquito that you've seen.

> They had to fill the Lucasian chair, after Newton and Dirac that was a
> tough
> act to follow, would Penrose do better?

Of course not, and Dirac was a dork. That's not a tough act, it's just an
act.

> BTW strictly speaking not all holders of that chair were that memorable.
> (Professor Life Dates Chair Dates Specialty)
>
> Isaac Barrow 1630-1677 1664-1669 Classics &Mathematics
> Sir Isaac Newton 1642-1727 1669-1702 Mathematics & Physics
> William Whiston 1667-1752 1702-1710 Mathematics
> Nicolas Saunderson 1682-1739 1711-1739 Mathematics
> John Colson 1680-1760 1739-1760 Mathematics
> Edward Waring 1736-1798 1760-1798 Mathematics
> Isaac Milner 1750-1820 1798-1820 Mathematics & Chemistry
> Robert Woodhouse 1773-1827 1820-1822 Mathematics
> Thomas Turton 1780-1864 1822-1826 Mathematics
> Sir George Airy 1801-1892 1826-1828 Astronomy
> Charles Babbage 1792-1871 1828-1839 Mathematics & Computing
> Joshua King 1798-1857 1839-1849 Mathematics
> Sir George Stokes 1819-1903 1849-1903 Physics & Fluid Mechanics
> Sir Joseph Larmor 1857-1942 1903-1932 Physics
> Paul Dirac 1902-1984 1932-1969 Physics
> Sir M. James Lighthill 1924-1998 1969-1980 Fluid Mechanics
> Stephen Hawking 1942- 1980- Theoretical Physics

Never confuse theoretical physics with real physics.

"Prominent theoretical physicists were therefore more inclined to reject the
principle of relativity, in spite of the fact that no empirical data had
been found which were contradictory to this principle." -- Prominent
theoretical cretin Einstein, ref: http://www.bartleby.com/173/7.html

Hawking is quite insane or not English. No sane Englishman would
turn down a pint of English ale when it's my shout, as Hawking did
at Sussex U.

England's greatest comedians were educated at Oxbridge -- just look at
Monty Python.

Eric Idle -- Pembroke College, Cambridge
Terry Jones -- St Edmund Hall, Oxford
John Cleese -- Downing College, Cambridge
Michael Palin -- Brasenose College, Oxford
Graham Chapman - Emmanuel College, Cambridge

No reason not to include Hawking; his black hole theory is hilarious,
almost as funny as the wanker Dirac trying to marry QM with relativity.

BTW, your equation is wrong.
Exponentiation takes precedence over multiplication,
e^(i * pi) <> [e^i] * pi.
Don't worry, you are in bad company. It's the kind of blunder a theoretical
physicist would make;
theoretical physicists are only failed mathematicians anyway.
Einstein failed an examination that would have allowed him to study for a
diploma as an electrical engineer at the Eidgen�ssische Technische
Hochschule in Zurich (couldn't even pass the SATs) in 1895.
Source:
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Einstein.html

krokodyle

Dec 20, 2009, 5:26:27 PM12/20/09

"krokodyle" <[e^i*pi=-1]@euler.com> wrote

> They had to fill the Lucasian chair, after Newton and Dirac that was a
> tough
> act to follow, would Penrose do better?
>
> BTW strictly speaking not all holders of that chair were that memorable.
> (Professor Life Dates Chair Dates Specialty)
>
> Isaac Barrow 1630-1677 1664-1669 Classics &Mathematics
> Sir Isaac Newton 1642-1727 1669-1702 Mathematics & Physics
> William Whiston 1667-1752 1702-1710 Mathematics
> Nicolas Saunderson 1682-1739 1711-1739 Mathematics
> John Colson 1680-1760 1739-1760 Mathematics
> Edward Waring 1736-1798 1760-1798 Mathematics
> Isaac Milner 1750-1820 1798-1820 Mathematics & Chemistry
> Robert Woodhouse 1773-1827 1820-1822 Mathematics
> Thomas Turton 1780-1864 1822-1826 Mathematics
> Sir George Airy 1801-1892 1826-1828 Astronomy
> Charles Babbage 1792-1871 1828-1839 Mathematics & Computing
> Joshua King 1798-1857 1839-1849 Mathematics
> Sir George Stokes 1819-1903 1849-1903 Physics & Fluid Mechanics
> Sir Joseph Larmor 1857-1942 1903-1932 Physics
> Paul Dirac 1902-1984 1932-1969 Physics
> Sir M. James Lighthill 1924-1998 1969-1980 Fluid Mechanics
> Stephen Hawking 1942- 1980- Theoretical Physics

Joshua King appears to have been particularly memorable.
A tough act to follow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_King

Not to mention Thomas Turton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Turton
http://www.lucasianchair.org/19/turton.html

True Hawking does not reach up to these guys' levels.

A rank amateur by any measure.

porky_...@my-deja.com

Dec 20, 2009, 6:14:06 PM12/20/09
On Dec 14, 8:02 pm, RichD <r_delaney2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> what would he be doing?
>
> --
> Rich

suing his brother Fig for the rights to the "Newton" trademark.

Inverse 19 mathematics

Dec 21, 2009, 12:05:25 AM12/21/09
On Dec 17, 7:28 am, jmfbahciv <jmfbahciv@aol> wrote:
> Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr. wrote:
>

> > On Dec 16, 7:14 pm, "zzbun...@netscape.net" <zzbun...@netscape.net>
> > wrote:

> >>    We invented Mother's Day. Just like we invented Labor Day.
>
> > Why is Mother's Day so far removed from Labor Day?  You would expect a
> > Mother's Day immediately after you go into Labor Day.
>
> Mothers haven't formed unions.
>
> <snip>
>
> /BAH- Hide quoted text -

Sir Issac Newton would be disproving Riemann and Fermat, and would
not be at Princeton/ or some big university. He would be into quantum
Physics, but would refute most of the nonsense started by Einstein,
because he would understad that if you square the constant of C, you
must figure in - 1 which is inverse curved.

He also would be roasting the Pigs.

master1729

Dec 21, 2009, 5:14:15 PM12/21/09
Porky Pig Jr wrote :

lmao

Rock Brentwood

Dec 29, 2009, 9:03:24 PM12/29/09
On Dec 14, 7:02 pm, RichD <r_delaney2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If Isaac Newton were alive today, 30 years old,
> what would he be doing?

Filing for bankruptcy after losing his money (again) when the latest
make-big-money bubble -- this time (unlike the other time in the
1600's), with it being the real estate bubble.

He would graduate either from a university that hosted the Cambridge
chair (or whatever it's called) or from some other university with
luminaries just as well-known in their field (who had, perhaps
themselves spent time in Cambridge), having done his thesis under
those luminaries.

Then he would post a large number of articles on the USENET outlining
a new gravitational theory (combined with a new paradigm in physics,
itself), but when asked to publish it, he would flat-out refuse and
would keep it semi-secret for 10-20 some-odd years.

In this new theory, he will spill the beans on the former (or soon-to-
be former) chair at Cambridge, exposing his dirty little secret that
he actually has a secret alter ego as the sci fi author known as
Steven King and that the intentional selection of that name (bearing a
close resemblance to his true name) was meant to be a dead giveaway.
The disguise, of course, is that while under cover as the famous
author, he pretends to be able to walk and talk on his own, while in
reality he is able to do neither.

The new theory posted by Newton would involve a lot of new or fancy
math -- some of which will have only lately become known in the
published literature and others which he, himself, would have
improvised. But unlike the other time, he will not let some German
upstart take all the limelight on mathematical logic, linguistics or
computer science, but will also publish in those fields (and, to rub
it in, will even give a talk on his papers in Germany -- travelling
around speaking German to the locals and sampling the beer in the
Chinese Water Tower beer garden in Munich).

After he FINALLY (after extensive prodding by his contemporaries) gets
around to putting all his notes together into a new treatise on
Physics, he'll publish an appendix that will come off as little more
than a Bible-thumping essay on God and His relation to the Universe.
Somewhere in the midst of all the Bible quotations and extolling about
God, he'll put in a line "I feign no hypothese" or something to the
effect. And strangely enough, that will be remembered while everything
else in that essay is forgotten.

This time, however, things will be different. The new treatise will be
published in the same way as Maxwell's treatise. The equations will be
laid out in the same way. In fact, these will be the equations:

(Torsion:)
dx - sigma * x + alpha t = X,
du + alpha.x = U
dt - a alpha.x = T
(Curvature:)
d(sigma) - sigma * sigma/2 + a alpha * alpha/2 = Sigma
d(alpha) - sigma * alpha = Alpha
(Ricci Identities:)
dX - sigma * X + alpha T = -Sigma * x + Alpha t
dT - a alpha.X = -a Alpha x
dU + alpha.X = Alpha.x
(Bianchi Identities:)
d(Sigma) - sigma * Sigma + a alpha * Alpha = 0
d(Alpha) - sigma * Alpha - alpha * Sigma = 0
(Field Equations:)
(u Sigma + x * Alpha + L Su)(t + au) = kP
(x.Sigma + L V) (t + au) = kM
xu.Sigma + S.Alpha + L Vu = kH
where x, sigma and alpha are 1-form valued vectors, t, u is a scalar 1-
form; X, Sigma and Alpha are 2-form valued vectors, T, U is a scalar 2-
form, ()*() is the cross product (adapted to form algebra), ().() is
the vector scalar product, P M and H are respectively the 4-form
currents for momentum, mass and energy, L is a fudge factor to account
for a universal pressure in space.

Then he'll claim to be the reincarnation of Newton, identifying k as
the "New Newton's Gravitational Constant" and claiming that his old
theory is simply the a = 0 case of the equations above (as, indeed, it
is ... provided one sticks the mass density in with the energy current
as its 5th component); and that general relativity is ALSO contained
in these equations (as, indeed, it is) when the factor a is chosen to
be 1/c^2.

And that 4-dimensional spacelike gravity (for a 4-D space with no time
dimension) is covered by the case where a < 0 (as, indeed, it would
be).

Then ... in a master stroke ... (and the fundamental novelty of his
treatise) he'll claim that the parameter (a) is ALSO a variable and
that it goes as a -> 0 as time goes to Time 0 ... the first moment of
the existence of the Cosmos in its present form ... and that (a = 0)
had held for all time before time 0, so that the "pre-creation"
universe was actually ... (ahem) Newtonian.

Rock Brentwood

Dec 29, 2009, 9:15:12 PM12/29/09
On Dec 29, 8:03 pm, Rock Brentwood <markw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In fact, these will be the equations:
> (Field Equations:)
>    (u Sigma + x * Alpha + L Su)(t + au) = kP
>    (x.Sigma + L V) (t + au) = kM
>    xu.Sigma + S.Alpha + L Vu = kH
> where x, sigma and alpha are 1-form valued vectors, t, u is a scalar 1-
> form; X, Sigma and Alpha are 2-form valued vectors, T, U is a scalar 2-
> form, ()*() is the cross product (adapted to form algebra), ().() is
> the vector scalar product
etc. etc. and
S = (x*x)/2, V = (x*x.x)/6.

Exercise: using the ansatz
t = (1 + a U) d(tau),
x = J dr,
sigma = K r * dr,
alpha = L r d(tau)
u = d(upsilon) - U d(tau)
where U, J, K and L are to be functions only of |r|, with r being the
coordinate 3-vector and dr its (3-vector valued) differential ...

(a) derive the equations (and solutions) for U, J, K and L such that
the momentum current P = 0, energy current E = 0 and mass current M =
0.
(b) do the same, for the case a = 0, and show that the potential U
reduces to a function of the form U = U0 + U1/r for constants U0 and
U1.
(c) Thus, show that the exterior of a spherical source has an inverse
r^2 force law.
(d) Do the same as (a), (b) and (c) for the case a = 1/c^2 and derive
the Schwarzschild metric in isotropic form.

Uncle Al

Dec 30, 2009, 11:35:53 AM12/30/09

Given the awesome absence of applied string theory (and any quantized
gravitation), the absent Higgs, the absent SUSY particle zoo, absent
proton decay... one might posit a generation of the best and brightest
have been trying to crack a nut that is really a pebble. The nut
grows elsewhere.

We cannot leave without asking the eternal question: Will left and
right shoes vacuum free fall identically? Uncle Al has an experiment
and therefrom a portal into "Phys. Rev. D" large enough for two papers
to pass.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qzsparse.png
What did we know then?
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qzdense.png
Better
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qzhyper1.png
Not nearly what we can do

In a week or two we will have 2-7000 A radius sampled 7 million times
- and it all fits an abstract mathematical one-parameter y=mx+b to a
fare-thee-well. How will Referees claim insufficient proof of
concept?

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/erotor1.jpg
Somebody should look.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

T.H. Ray

Dec 31, 2009, 6:45:27 AM12/31/09
krokodyle wrote
This is probably true. Newton's scientific and
mathematical output was secondary to his arcane interests.
We remember him for his achievements in science, because
we find those inventions useful; however, the social
usefulness of an individual's creative achievements
provides no clue to what motivates that creative mind.

Likely, Newton regarded the science and math that he
produced as mere byproducts of his search for unity with
the eternal--to the limit, of course, that he realized
the social importance of his work and became embroiled
in rivalries over priority. The usefulness of his
scientific output, to him personally, was IMO mainly in
getting the recognition necessary to attract government
and academic appointments that allowed him to pursue his
interests in freedom and security.

Tom