Paralysis cases soar after oral polio vaccine introduced

John H. Gohde

Jul 14, 2012, 9:31:43 PM7/14/12
India: Paralysis cases soar after oral polio vaccine introduced

http://tinyurl.com/d2zwpep

A new report by two Delhi pediatricians suggests that the sharp rise
in childhood paralysis in India is due to the increased usage of the
oral polio vaccine, a drug that was banned in the U.S. over a decade
ago.
Dr. Neetu Vashisht and Dr. Jacob Puliyel of St. Stephens Hospital
created the report after analyzing data from India’s 10-year-old
National Polio Surveillance Project, which is available online. Their
findings, which were published in the Indian Journal of medical
Ethics, revealed that rates of non-polio acute flaccid paralysis
(NPAFP) have increased 1200% since the oral polio vaccine was
introduced to India a decade ago.

The oral polio vaccine contains a live polio virus and has been linked
to polio-like paralysis. Polio vaccines used in other countries do not
include the live virus, but polio vaccines used in India do.

The doctors provided other troubling details in their report:
“In 2011, there were an extra 47500 new cases of NPAFP [in India].
Clinically indistinguishable from polio paralysis but twice as deadly,
the incidence of NPAFP was directly proportional to doses of oral
polio received.”
Ajay Khera, the Deputy Commissioner for Child Health and Immunisation
for the Ministry of Family and Health Welfare (MHFW), downplayed the
significance of the findings in an interview with Tehelka News. In
reference to the rise in paralysis cases, he said, “It’s not an alert
sign but indicative of the quality of the surveillance.”

However, increases in surveillance quality over time do not explain
the strong location-based correlation discovered by Vashist and
Puliyel. According to the report:
“In the states of Uttar Pradesh (UP) and Bihar, which have pulse polio
rounds nearly every month, the non-polio AFP rate is 25- and 35-fold
higher than the international norms. The relationship of the non-polio
AFP rate is curvilinear with a more steep increase beyond six doses of
OPV in one year.”
Vashist and Puliyel were also concerned by the lack of attention that
the polio survey administrators gave to the paralysis results:
"Though this data was collected within the polio surveillance system,
it was not investigated… It is sad that, even after meticulous
surveillance, this large excess in the incidence of paralysis was not
investigated as a possible signal, nor was any effort made to try and
study the mechanism for this spurt in non-polio AFP.”

In addition, other medical professionals are skeptical about the claim
that the paralysis cases are not linked to polio. “Did they
misclassify NPAFP when they denied that the increase in vaccine doses
is related to the increase in NPAFP cases?”asked Dr SK Mittal, former
professor and Head of Pediatrics at India’s Maulana Azad Medical
College.

Drug companies and regulators have long known about the harmful
effects of the oral polio vaccine that includes the live virus. In
1976, vaccine inventor Jonas Salk admitted to the United States
Congress that the live polio vaccine was the “principal if not sole
cause” of all reported polio cases in the U.S. since 1961, according
to Salem News.

The website for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) also
describes the paralyzing side effects of the oral polio vaccine:
"From 1980 through 1999, there were 162 confirmed cases of paralytic
polio reported. Of the 162 cases, eight cases were acquired outside
the United States and imported... The remaining 154 cases were vaccine-
associated paralytic polio (VAPP) caused by live oral poliovirus
vaccine (OPV).”

The debilitating – and sometimes deadly – side effects of the oral
polio vaccine led the U.S. to stop using it in 2000, the New York
Times reported. However, many governments around the world still
administer the dangerous vaccine to their citizens. Despite the grave
concerns that have been raised, the vaccine manufacturers and the
health agencies they have partnered with around the world are shifting
the oral polio vaccination effort into high gear – and there are no
signs of stopping.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/323371#ixzz20eOP7hzO

george conklin

Jul 15, 2012, 12:12:06 PM7/15/12
So how many cases of paralysis from POLIO were prevented? The only real
reason the oral vaccine was pushed in the USA was that it was developed
by a MD, not a scientist.

John H. Gohde

Jul 15, 2012, 9:42:55 AM7/15/12
In my universe, "sharp rise in childhood paralysis in India" means
exactly what it states. Sorry, to hear about your rather apparent age-
related dementia problem. Perhaps, if you were to attend grade school
for a year, you might be able to comprehend the English language in
print?

To Quote Anti-Alternative Medicine WikiPedia:

http://tinyurl.com/dxoqyp8

"A major concern about the oral polio vaccine (OPV) is its known
ability to revert to a form that can achieve neurological infection
and cause paralysis.[39] Clinical disease, including paralysis, caused
by vaccine-derived poliovirus (VDPV) is indistinguishable from that
caused by wild polioviruses.[40]"

Concerns raised that WHO’s polio vaccine causes polio in children

http://tinyurl.com/bpstfz3

For some time, there have been disturbing reports of polio
vaccination’s dangerous, and self-defeating, effects among children.
The vaccine, part of the polio eradication initiative of WHO and
partner organizations, is reportedly causing paralysis in children,
producing the same kind of disability that polio does. In other words,
while it is purportedly given to the very young kids to prevent them
from polio, some experts believe the vaccine itself is causing polio
in a number of them.

Reports of polio vaccine causing paralysis have been around for years
now, particularly from Africa and India. The most alarming news came
from Africa in 2007, where an outbreak of polio in Nigeria was traced
to the same vaccine given to Nigerian kids as part of WHO’s anti-polio
vaccination campaign. The New York Times story mentioned a number of
cases in various countries, including the highly contagious nature of
the vaccine which even caused partial paralysis in an American woman
who changed the diapers of her baby vaccinated for polio.

More recently, reports of VAPP caused by the polio vaccine refer to
the Polio Global Eradication Initiative’s own statistics, informing
that up to 180 vaccinated children in India fall a prey to VAPP each
year. This stands at a hair-raising incidence 3 to 4 times higher than
polio caused by the wild polio virus. The medicine seems deadlier than
the disease itself. Or to say, the medicine is the disease.

In Pakistan too, the threat of polio vaccine is not going entirely
unreported. Last month, Anthony Gucciardi revealed in his article,
published in Natural Society, that close to 80% of recent polio cases
are reported among children who had been vaccinated for polio. This is
a shockingly high figure: of 136 polio cases, 107 were those
vaccinated for the disease.

And these are only the cases on record. In a country like India or
Pakistan, many cases do not get the correct diagnosis, particularly in
people of the lower economical class. With these statistics, questions
are raised about the earlier claim that calls VAPP a “rare adverse
reaction”. It appears as quite common.

Information available on this topic reveals that the oral vaccine used
in polio vaccination campaigns is the dangerous agent causing VAAP.
The oral drops of the vaccine carry a weakened, but not dead, version
of polio virus. This weakened virus can get strong again anytime after
vaccination and cause paralysis or even death in children! That is why
the US banned the use of oral polio vaccine in the country in the year
2000 and allows only vaccination via injection. But in developing
countries, including India and Pakistan, the oral vaccine is used in
vaccination campaigns. Why do we have different health standards in
vaccinating children in the US and those in poor countries,
particularly when the latter can be put at a life-threatening risk by
the very vaccine itself?

Many people are now expressing concern this vaccine may cause serious
harm, but one must wonder that no media in developing countries like
Pakistan informs the public about the statistics and some of the
issues related to vaccinations for polio. For some time, during the
early years of this vaccination campaign, religious groups created the
propaganda that it is West’s conspiracy to sterilize Muslim children
(thus checking their alarmingly high birthrate). But soon, people
stopped believing in the rumor. However, the masses have not been, and
are not being, informed about the scientific/statistical facts of
polio that are negative and that raise questions about its use.

WHO and partner organizations on this point have much to lose if the
polio vaccine is truly found to be dangerous. Awareness of this
potential threat might undermine their huge project worth. But the big
question is why the media in places like Pakistan do not raise
important questions about these projects. Perhaps once again it may be
a matter of money.

The problem is that if these vaccinations are creating serious
problems, public health is at stake. Children can die or become
disabled from natural polio virus, but they are also equally or more
at risk from the polio vaccine given to them orally around the world.
Given some of the facts related to polio vaccines, it is reasonable
that this issue should be addressed on a priority basis; for poor
children in developing countries are as much deserving of health
safety as those children “born with a silver spoon” in other countries.

george conklin

Jul 15, 2012, 1:26:18 PM7/15/12
Your deliberate misinterpretation of the article is pitiful. The
vaccine drastically reduced overall illness rates, and did so in the USA
too. Polio used to be really a feared disease here in the USA too, and
the anti-vaccine idiots cannot wish away this fact, including you.

John H. Gohde

Jul 15, 2012, 7:20:29 PM7/15/12
You are full of it!

"pill popper"

Jul 16, 2012, 11:59:53 AM7/16/12

"A new report by two Delhi pediatricians suggests that the sharp rise
in childhood paralysis in India is due to the increased usage of the
oral polio vaccine, a drug that was banned in the U.S. over a decade
ago."

Good reason it appears to not use that one but others without this result.

John H. Gohde

Jul 16, 2012, 12:03:41 PM7/16/12
Yeah, just dump the bad stuff on third world countries, you closet
racist. :(

Doesn't matter how many people you have saved YESTERDAY, if you are
deliberated paralyzing children TODAY in 3rd world countries.

"pill popper"

Jul 16, 2012, 12:53:44 PM7/16/12

.

"Yeah, just dump the bad stuff on third world countries, you closet
racist."

The article did not mention the source of it nor of "dumping". India has a
large drug industry and are fully capable of producing it on their own.
The only context mentioned is it is one not used in the u.s. for a decade
because it was banned, thus no local production of it.

One then might think that varieties absent this side effect would be best
used in india.

Robert A. Fink, M. D.

Jul 28, 2012, 5:08:43 PM7/28/12
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 18:31:43 -0700 (PDT), "John H. Gohde"
<john.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The oral polio vaccine contains a live polio virus and has been linked
>to polio-like paralysis. Polio vaccines used in other countries do not
>include the live virus, but polio vaccines used in India do.

All oral polio vaccines contain live (attenuated) polio virus. The
rate of actual disease being produced by the oral vaccine is very
small (the vaccine actually *gives* you a case of polio-like infection
(you don't get sick) and this causes natural immunity to full-strength
virus.

An interesting pehnomenon has developed, however, as the number of
polio cases has decreased all over the world; and some have suggested
that in those countries where cases ofpolio are only sporadic, the
injectable (Salk) vaccine be used instead of the oral form (Sabin).

The Wikipedia entry contains the following information about the
vaccines in general:

Oral polio vaccine (OPV) is a live-attenuated vaccine, produced by the
passage of the virus through non-human cells at a sub-physiological
temperature, which produces spontaneous mutations in the viral
genome.[32] Oral polio vaccines were developed by several groups, one
of which was led by Albert Sabin. Other groups, led by Hilary
Koprowski and H.R. Cox, developed their own attenuated vaccine
strains. In 1958, the National Institutes of Health created a special
committee on live polio vaccines. The various vaccines were carefully
evaluated for their ability to induce immunity to polio, while
retaining a low incidence of neuropathogenicity in monkeys.
Large-scale clinical trials performed in the Soviet Union in late
1950s — early 1960s by Mikhail Chumakov and his colleagues
demonstrated safety and high efficacy of the vaccine.[33][34] Based on
these results, the Sabin strains were chosen for worldwide
distribution.[13]

There are 57 nucleotide substitutions which distinguish the attenuated
Sabin 1 strain from its virulent parent (the Mahoney serotype), two
nucleotide substitutions attenuate the Sabin 2 strain, and 10
substitutions are involved in attenuating the Sabin 3 strain.[6] The
primary attenuating factor common to all three Sabin vaccines is a
mutation located in the virus's internal ribosome entry site
(IRES)[35] which alters stem-loop structures, and reduces the ability
of poliovirus to translate its RNA template within the host cell.[36]
The attenuated poliovirus in the Sabin vaccine replicates very
efficiently in the gut, the primary site of infection and replication,
but is unable to replicate efficiently within nervous system tissue.
OPV also proved to be superior in administration, eliminating the need
for sterile syringes and making the vaccine more suitable for mass
vaccination campaigns. OPV also provided longer lasting immunity than
the Salk vaccine.

In 1961, type 1 and 2 monovalent oral poliovirus vaccine (MOPV) was
licensed, and in 1962, type 3 MOPV was licensed. In 1963, trivalent
OPV (TOPV) was licensed, and became the vaccine of choice in the
United States and most other countries of the world, largely replacing
the inactivated polio vaccine.[8] A second wave of mass immunizations
led to a further dramatic decline in the number of polio cases.
Between 1962 and 1965 about 100 million Americans (roughly 56% of the
population at that time) received the Sabin vaccine. The result was a
substantial reduction in the number of poliomyelitis cases, even from
the much reduced levels following the introduction of the Salk
vaccine.[37]

OPV is usually provided in vials containing 10-20 doses of vaccine. A
single dose of oral polio vaccine (usually two drops) contains
1,000,000 infectious units of Sabin 1 (effective against PV1), 100,000
infectious units of the Sabin 2 strain, and 600,000 infectious units
of Sabin 3. The vaccine contains small traces of antibiotics— neomycin
and streptomycin—but does not contain preservatives.[38] One dose of
OPV produces immunity to all three poliovirus serotypes in
approximately 50% of recipients.[16] Three doses of live-attenuated
OPV produce protective antibody to all three poliovirus types in more
than 95% of recipients. OPV produces excellent immunity in the
intestine, the primary site of wild poliovirus entry, which helps
prevent infection with wild virus in areas where the virus is
endemic.[30] The live virus used in the vaccine is shed in the stool
and can be spread to others within a community, resulting in
protection against poliomyelitis even in individuals who have not been
directly vaccinated. IPV produces less gastrointestinal immunity than
does OPV, and primarily acts by preventing the virus from entering the
nervous system. In regions without wild poliovirus, inactivated polio
vaccine is the vaccine of choice.[30] In regions with higher incidence
of polio, and thus a different relative risk between efficacy and
reversion of the vaccine to a virulent form, live vaccine is still
used. The live virus also has stringent requirements for transport and
storage, which are a problem in some hot or remote areas. As with
other live-virus vaccines, immunity initiated by OPV is probably
lifelong.[31]

==================================

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., FACS
Neurological Surgery
Berkeley, California USA

--------------------------------
Note: Nothing in this message should be
considered as "medical advice". Such
advice should only be given after direct
face-to-face contact between physician
and patient.

Robert A. Fink, M. D.

Jul 28, 2012, 5:08:44 PM7/28/12
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:12:06 -0700, george conklin
<nilkn...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>So how many cases of paralysis from POLIO were prevented? The only real
>reason the oral vaccine was pushed in the USA was that it was developed
>by a MD, not a scientist.

Dr. Sabin was awarded many degrees during his lifetime, including at
least one Ph. D.

Most great medical advances in the past have been made by researchers
who hold the M. D. degree. Having the M. D. degree (rather than a Ph.
D.) does not make a person any less of a "scientist". Other great
breakthroughs include the conquest of malaria (Walter Reed, the
discovery of Penicillin (Alexander Fleming), and others, all by people
who held the M. D. degree. The numbers of prime researchers with only
the Ph. D. degree has only increased relatively recently, this with a
larger number of Government grants going to basic scientists at major
universities.

As to the "number of cases of polio prevented" by the vaccine(s),
polio has almost been wiped off the face of the earth, with a few
residual cases being reported yearly in places such as India,
Bangladesh, and on the African continent.