Is City Navigator North America NT v8 the same as City Navigator North America NT 2008

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 16, 2007, 10:39:22 PM8/16/07
Is "City Navigator North America NT V8" the same as "City Navigator North
America NT 2008"?

I think the (perhaps obvious to you) answer is "NO" but I just wanted to
check since the "V8" might be a shorthand for "2008".

If they are different in my brand new nuvi bought this month, what is the
best way to contact Garmin to get the newer maps which I think I'm then
due.

Second question is "City Navigator Europe NT V9" the latest Europe map?
Where can I find out what countries are considered Europe?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

Jim Beachy

Aug 16, 2007, 10:47:13 PM8/16/07
City Navigator North America NT 2008 reports as Version 9 in the Mapsource
"About" dialog box.

The previous version, so far as I know, was Version 7, sold as City
Navigator North America NT Version 7.

To my knowledge, there is no "Version 8" for City Navigator North America.
I don't believe I missed an update, but on the other hand I'm not an expert
on this either.

Sorry, I don't know about City Navigator Europe.

--
Jim Beachy

"Sharon Ciccio" <sharon...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 17, 2007, 1:08:27 PM8/17/07
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:47:13 -0400, Jim Beachy wrote:

> To my knowledge, there is no "Version 8" for City Navigator North America.

Here is what it says when I press the "Map Info" button on my nüvi:

<checkmark> City Navigator Europe NT v9
[1] ALL

<checkmark> City Navigator North America NT v8
[1] ALL

Is v8 the same as City Navigator 2008?
If I'm entitled to City Navigator 2008 - how do I obtain it?
I found an article that said how to install it but how do I obtain it for
free (I just bought the nüvi).

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

SFB

Aug 16, 2007, 11:25:41 PM8/16/07
Just call Garmin Tech support.... explain that you just bought your Nuvi
and want the latest maps for North America. They may ask you to fax
them the receipt of purchase or not ... make sure you have registered
your Nuvi before calling them up so you can tell them so...

Takes about a week or so for them to send the update CD.... at that
point the update CD also includes a PC version of MapSource that you can
install on your computer if you wish... just search this Forum for
instructions or post a request here with a clear subject line.

SFB

Jerry M

Aug 16, 2007, 11:51:14 PM8/16/07
On Aug 16, 10:47 pm, "Jim Beachy" <jbea...@cox.net> wrote:
> City Navigator North America NT 2008 reports as Version 9 in the Mapsource
> "About" dialog box.
>
> The previous version, so far as I know, was Version 7, sold as City
> Navigator North America NT Version 7.
>
> To my knowledge, there is no "Version 8" for City Navigator North America.
> I don't believe I missed an update, but on the other hand I'm not an expert
> on this either.
>
> Sorry, I don't know about City Navigator Europe.
>
> --
> Jim Beachy
>
> "Sharon Ciccio" <sharonchic...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Is "City Navigator North America NT V8" the same as "City Navigator North
> > America NT 2008"?
>
> > I think the (perhaps obvious to you) answer is "NO" but I just wanted to
> > check since the "V8" might be a shorthand for "2008".
>
> > If they are different in my brand new nuvi bought this month, what is the
> > best way to contact Garmin to get the newer maps which I think I'm then
> > due.
>
> > Second question is "City Navigator Europe NT V9" the latest Europe map?
> > Where can I find out what countries are considered Europe?
>
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Sharon- Hide quoted text -

The previos version before city navigator north america version 2008
nt and non nt was version 8. Don't know how you missed version 8 last
year Jim.
Jerry

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 17, 2007, 3:50:18 PM8/17/07
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:25:41 -0700, SFB wrote:
> Just call Garmin Tech support....

OK. I called but they were closed.

I found the support numbers for Garmin at
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/supportcontacts

USA: +1-800-800-1020 (U.S.)
CANADA +1-866-429-9296 or (913) 397-8200
UK 0808 238 0000

I guess I'll call tomorrow. I already have mapsource from my ancient Garmin
GPS ... do you think a five year old mapsource will suffice?

Sharon

SFB

Aug 17, 2007, 2:01:46 AM8/17/07
You can download an update to MapSource... but not sure if it will
update that old a version....

Call early in the AM as there is normally a 30 minute hold time the last
few weeks....

SFB

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 17, 2007, 2:17:10 AM8/17/07
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:25:41 -0700, SFB wrote:

> ... make sure you have registered your Nuvi before
> calling them up so you can tell them so...

OK. So I registered my nüvi.
I had to enter two "Registration Codes" and the serial number which was
hidden behind the flip-up antenna on the nüvi 670.

Then, for some reason I ended up in an "unlock code" section.
What is with that?

Why would I have to unlock my maps if they already work?
What am I unlocking?

Sharon

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 17, 2007, 2:26:45 AM8/17/07
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:01:46 -0700, SFB wrote:

> You can download an update to MapSource... but not sure if it will
> update that old a version....

OK. So I went to the Garmin support site and it asked for unlock codes
https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/unlock/unlockHome.faces

I dug into the box and found the following unlock codes on yellow paper:
Unlock code #1 = HVJVY-BDANA-MU2A4-U47PH-UCFHB
Unlock code #2 = VGZW7-817P7-AKT6C-S9RBN-C7AJB

After filling out the form, the web site congratulated me on unlocking
something.

WHAT DID I UNLOCK? How? (I didn't touch the GPS.)

Here is the email I received back from Garmin.

Please ... What do all these crazy numbers actually mean or do?

Thanks, in advance,
Sharon

From: GARMIN MapSource Unlock Registration
To: Sharon Ciccio

Thank you, Sharon Ciccio, for completing GARMIN's registration process.
Whenever revisiting the MapSource Unlock pages, please reference
your myGarmin username CICCIO.

Information about the region you just unlocked:
-GPS Unit:
nüvi 670, North America

-Serial Number:
13N003449

-Mapsource Product:
City Navigator Europe NT v9 Deluxe Unlock WW

-Region:
City Navigator Europe NT v9, Deluxe All Regions WW, Sept. 06

-Action:
Unlock Registration

-Code:
VYNJALM

-Mapsource Product:
City Navigator North America NT v8 Deluxe Unlock WW

-Region:
City Navigator North America NT v8, Deluxe All Regions - WW, Apr 06

-Action:
Unlock Registration

-Code:
WM9BS21

Please contact our customer service group using one of the following
methods:

Webform (http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/techSupport.asp):
This is the preferred method to contact us about any problem you might be
having with MapSource Unlock. Using this form gives us all the information
we need to assist you. E-mail: You may also send an e-mail to:
unl...@garmin.com or Product Support: tech...@garmin.com.

Garmin will never send you an email requesting you to provide personal
information. Always log in to the http://my.garmin.com site, as Garmin
will only ask for information AFTER you have securely logged in. If you
receive an email containing a link and are unsure whether it is from
Garmin, open a new web browser and copy the link into your browser. Don't
click on any link in an email which seems suspicious to you. If you have
surrendered financial or password information to a suspicious email or
website, promptly report this to the issuing institution as well as change
your password on your myGarmin account. This can be completed in the
myAccount section of your myGarmin account.

If you think you have received a fraudulent email, forward the entire
email, including the header information to tech...@garmin.com and then
delete the email from your mailbox. For further information on Garmin's
Privacy Policy and account protection measures, see
http://www.garmin.com/privacy.

Garmin International, 1200 E. 151st St, Olathe, KS 66062

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 17, 2007, 2:44:28 AM8/17/07
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 02:39:22 GMT, Sharon Ciccio wrote:

> Is "City Navigator North America NT V8" the same as "City Navigator North
> America NT 2008"?

> Second question is "City Navigator Europe NT V9" the latest Europe map?
> Where can I find out what countries are considered Europe?

Also, is the Software Version the latest?

The Garmin web site FAQ tells you HOW to get the software version:
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support?search_key=Unlocken
Where it says:
1. Touch "Settings" (wrench tool)
2. Touch "System"
3. Touch "About" (bottom of the screen)
4. Software Version should display here.

But it doesn't show you which is the latest software version!

Here is what mine reported:
nüvi 670
Software Version 3.30
Unit ID: 3255250357
Audio Version: 1.80
GDB SW Version:
GTM SW Version: 3.90
GPS SW Version: 2.90
Bluetooth SW Version: 2.40
(lots of Cyclops copyright information)

What do all these numbers mean to me?
How do I know if I have the latest versions?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

SFB

Aug 17, 2007, 2:53:20 AM8/17/07
Technically you probably just got the OK to use the Nuvi 670... nothing
really to "unlock" just start using it... BUT if you want to install the
maps on your computer (from a CD that Garmin will have to send you) then
you will need the unlock codes for both the USA and Europe maps.

Now, after you get Garmin to send you the 2008 USA NT update, when you
you will find a NEW unlock code for the new version of 2008.

I suggest saving the slips of paper just in case the Garmin server
crashes at some point... either that or if you use a phone list like
outlook to save your personal addresses, you can type the codes and
numbers in for future reference...

I know this may sound somewhat confusing... but it will all go OK..

SFB

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 17, 2007, 4:58:26 PM8/17/07
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:53:20 -0700, SFB wrote:
> Now, after you get Garmin to send you the 2008 USA NT update

Now I'm confused again.
What it says in the Garmin FAQ is contradictory to what was said here.

I believe you but can you confirm the latest maps are the 2008 version
considering this is what it says verbatim in the Garmin 670 FAQ?

Are the latest maps REALLY version v8?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

Garmin FAQ Question:
How do I know if my Garmin Automotive device has the latest version of
mapping software?

Garmin FAQ Answer:
To check the unit to see if the latest mapping is installed
please follow the steps below:
1. On the main menu tap the 'Settings' or 'Wrench' icon.
2. Tap the 'Map' icon and then tap 'Map Info'.
3. This will show the version of mapping the unit has loaded in it.

We are currently at City Navigator version 8 at this time.
We come out with mapping updates every 12 -15 months and this
usually happens in late summer sometime between July and August.
Last modified on: 06/11/2007

SFB

Aug 17, 2007, 3:15:14 AM8/17/07
OK, my "upgraded" 670 says:

City Navigator North America NT 2008

City Navigator Europe NT v9

Any other versions are OLD and should be updated by Garmin... (they need
to send a CD to you)

When you check the Garmin site for upgrades, they will say you are OK...
well yes you are OK but you deserve the NT 2008 maps... and you have to
call to get that CD...

Here are my Nuvi 670 software versions:

Software version 3.80
Audio version: 1.40

GPS SW Version: 2.90
Bluetooth SW Version: 2.40

Just give them a call early in the AM asking for the North America NT
2008 update and explain exactly when and where you bought your 670.

FYI, I paid just under $700 at Overstock.com after using a discount
coupon... I've seen others pay as much as $1,000.... OUCH!!!

SFB

PS Don't get confused with v8, v9 and 2008... when you check the maps in
your 670 (Click MAPS then "Map Info" to see what is installed on your
670) you should see what I listed above... any other version is OLD...

wwere...@yahoo.com

Aug 17, 2007, 10:40:13 AM8/17/07
Garmin is expert at making things as confusing as possible.

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Aug 17, 2007, 11:06:28 AM8/17/07

You have to unlock them before you can transfer them to your GPS device.
Garmin allows you to unlock 2 GPS devices for no extra charge, but if you
buy a 3rd unit, you have to then buy another unlock code to use the maps
(which you've already bought) with it.

It's a tactic to separate you from your money.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_ kristian...@gmail.com

Message has been deleted

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Aug 17, 2007, 12:02:33 PM8/17/07
On 2007-08-17, Pegleg <Peg...@usnavyret.mil> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:06:28 GMT, Kristian M Zoerhoff
><kristian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Garmin allows you to unlock 2 GPS devices for no extra charge,
>
> Not anymore...one device per unlock code!

I didn't say otherwise. You get 2 unlock codes (i.e. 2 devices) free.

Bert Hyman

Aug 17, 2007, 12:31:10 PM8/17/07
kristian...@gmail.com (Kristian M Zoerhoff) wrote in

> On 2007-08-17, Pegleg <Peg...@usnavyret.mil> wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:06:28 GMT, Kristian M Zoerhoff
>><kristian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Garmin allows you to unlock 2 GPS devices for no extra charge,
>>
>> Not anymore...one device per unlock code!
>
> I didn't say otherwise. You get 2 unlock codes (i.e. 2 devices)
> free.

No longer true.

"Your MapSource coupon or registration code is valid for use with
your own Garmin GPS unit. This agreement provides a one-user license,
and it is illegal to share this data with others.

If you would like to obtain additional regions or utilize more than
one Garmin GPS unit you own, you will need to purchase another code
for each unit"

http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/policy.asp

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | be...@iphouse.com

Message has been deleted

Bert Hyman

Aug 17, 2007, 3:52:57 PM8/17/07
Peg...@usnavyret.mil (Pegleg) wrote in

> On 17 Aug 2007 16:31:10 GMT, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
>
>>kristian...@gmail.com (Kristian M Zoerhoff) wrote in

>>> I didn't say otherwise. You get 2 unlock codes (i.e. 2 devices)
>>> free.
>>
>>No longer true.
>>
>>"Your MapSource coupon or registration code is valid for use with
>>your own Garmin GPS unit. This agreement provides a one-user
>>license, and it is illegal to share this data with others.
>

> That is what I thought I said but he didn't seem very
> receptive...maybe I didn't state it clearly enough.

Well, you said

"You get 2 unlock codes (i.e. 2 devices) free."

but Garmin says

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Aug 17, 2007, 5:57:11 PM8/17/07
On 2007-08-17, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
> Peg...@usnavyret.mil (Pegleg) wrote in

>> That is what I thought I said but he didn't seem very
>> receptive...maybe I didn't state it clearly enough.
>
> Well, you said
>
> "You get 2 unlock codes (i.e. 2 devices) free."

No, Pegleg didn't say that, I did. Watch the attributions, please.

And apparently, I'm now wrong, but I wasn't when I got my eTrex last
Christmas (I have 2 unlock codes for City Navigator North America v8 and
paid exactly $0 for the second one).

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bert Hyman

Aug 17, 2007, 7:34:45 PM8/17/07
In news:XQoxi.33849$2v1....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net Kristian M
Zoerhoff <kristian...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2007-08-17, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
>> Peg...@usnavyret.mil (Pegleg) wrote in
>>>
>>> That is what I thought I said but he didn't seem very
>>> receptive...maybe I didn't state it clearly enough.
>>
>> Well, you said
>>
>> "You get 2 unlock codes (i.e. 2 devices) free."
>
> No, Pegleg didn't say that, I did. Watch the attributions, please.

Yipes!

You're quite right. I guess he thinks I have it out for him now.

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 17, 2007, 9:25:32 PM8/17/07
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:15:14 -0700, SFB wrote:

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:15:14 -0700, SFB wrote:
> Just give them a call early in the AM asking for the North America NT
> 2008 update and explain exactly when and where you bought your 670.

We're all wrong!

Garmin refuses to send the maps until August 24th 2007 and even then ONLY
through the web site!

Here's what happened:
a. I called Garmin in the morning at +1-800-800-1020.
The wait said it was 30 minutes.
Ten or so minutes into the call I had to hang up.

b. I called Garmin again before noon at +1-800-800-1020.
The wait said it was 20 minutes.
Ten or so minutes into the call, I had to hang up.

c. I called after noon. The wait said it was 15 minutes.
About ten or so minutes later, Garmin sales support answered.

I asked for the North America NT 2008 update and they told me I had to
register first on the web. I said I did already (thanks to advice here).
They then said we have to wait to the 24th of August and ask for the
updates on the web. I said I know of people who already received the
updates. They said that was a mistake. I asked to talk to the supervisor.
Ten minutes or so later I had to take another call.

Did anyone else NOT get the update maps because Garmin changed their policy
or did I just get a bad apple in sales support at Garmin today?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

Jerry M

Aug 17, 2007, 9:41:55 PM8/17/07

Sharon I have city navigator north america nt 2008 update disc
installed on my StreetPilot 2720 and StreetPilot c580 and pc. If they
told you to wait until the 24th that probably means they are out of
the update discs until then. Many of us indeed have nt 2008 installed
now.
Jerry

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Aug 17, 2007, 9:42:15 PM8/17/07
On 2007-08-17, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
> In news:XQoxi.33849$2v1....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net Kristian M
> Zoerhoff <kristian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2007-08-17, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
>>> Peg...@usnavyret.mil (Pegleg) wrote in

>>> Well, you said
>>>
>>> "You get 2 unlock codes (i.e. 2 devices) free."
>>
>> No, Pegleg didn't say that, I did. Watch the attributions, please.
>
> Yipes!
>
> You're quite right. I guess he thinks I have it out for him now.

Not at all. Or at least no more than everyone else :-)

Kristian M Zoerhoff

Aug 17, 2007, 9:43:45 PM8/17/07
On 2007-08-17, Pegleg <Peg...@usnavyret.mil> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:57:11 GMT, Kristian M Zoerhoff
><kristian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>No, Pegleg didn't say that, I did. Watch the attributions, please.
>>
>>And apparently, I'm now wrong, but I wasn't when I got my eTrex last
>>Christmas (I have 2 unlock codes for City Navigator North America v8 and
>>paid exactly $0 for the second one).
>
> Yea I know...I had two for my old 60C maps...Garmin tightened things up!

That stinks, 'cuz one of these days I'll need to update to catch up with all
the new subdivisions sprouting up around here. Grr.

SFB

Aug 17, 2007, 10:40:09 PM8/17/07
I guess they just ran out of update disks... when I updated there was a
shortage of CDs also... it just took them about 10 days to get a new
stock in.... don't know what they mean about only doing it online though...

It really does depend upon who you talk to when you ask for the upgrade...

Keep trying...

SFB

Jerry M

Aug 17, 2007, 10:44:47 PM8/17/07
On Aug 17, 9:25 pm, Sharon Ciccio <sharonchic...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:15:14 -0700, SFB wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:15:14 -0700, SFB wrote:
> > Just give them a call early in the AM asking for the North America NT
> > 2008 update and explain exactly when and where you bought your 670.
>
> We're all wrong!
>
> Garmin refuses to send the maps until August 24th 2007 and even then ONLY
> through the web site!

You CAN order it on the 1-800-800-1020 line just click number 1 on
options to take you to the ordering dept. I ordered both update dics
on the web and second order timed out after I entered credit card
info Got an email back right away saying my order was ok but next
morning got an email back saying 2nd order was cancelled. There web
site is extremely slow and if I were you just have your serial number
ready to give to order person. That way you will know your order is
ok. Also you don,t have to wait till the 24th to order it. They will
send you an email when your order is sent out. They do not take any
money out of credit card untill it is actually sent to you.
Jerry

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Topaz305RK

Aug 17, 2007, 11:15:02 PM8/17/07
Okay, here is another two cents worth.

I just purchased my 76CSx (well the end of June, it died, another is on the
way, due here in a day or two) and then ordered City Navigator Ver 8
After the purchase I heard that Ver 9 was out, in this newsgroup.
Contacted Garmin tech support about getting Ver 9.
Was told the official name was now NT 2008 and not Ver 9.
Was also told that the new complete package NT 2008 DVD, not the update
disk, was due out 22 AUG.
Was told that the new disk was being finished to support the update in
firmware from 3.30 to 3.50
Was told that the "update" DVD was out and available, but I would sent an
new completer NT 2008 on 22 AUG.

Have downloaded the update from 3.30 to 3.50 and will get it installed and
then wait for the new DVD to show up.

Don't know if this helps clear things up or just adds fuel to the fire.

Jerry M

Aug 17, 2007, 11:15:23 PM8/17/07
On Aug 17, 11:02 pm, Pegleg <Peg...@usnavyret.mil> wrote:
> I was told it was an issue with the 60CSx which has since had an update.

The 60CSx had a firmware update that corrected problem with NT 2008
but the discs are the same.They just run out of them fast.
Jerry

Jerry M

Aug 17, 2007, 11:24:15 PM8/17/07

I can tell you if you talk to 3 or 4 techs at garmin each will usually
give you different info on what you want to know about. Wish they
would all get together so they give everyone correct info.
Jerry

Jack Erbes

Aug 18, 2007, 8:46:09 AM8/18/07
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

<snip>

> That stinks, 'cuz one of these days I'll need to update to catch up with all
> the new subdivisions sprouting up around here. Grr.

The new streets for subdivisions and roads that are not through roads
can be pretty slow to get into the NavTeq data bases and be seen in CN
or other optional mapping softwares. I will look my local area in the
online Map viewers before I consider upgrading from CN V8 (my current
software) to a newer version.

I am going to retaliate against Garmin's change from two unlocks to a
single unlock by upgrading less often.

The greed that drove Garmin change somewhat obfuscated. Many of us used
to buy MapSource City Navigator through online and storefront retailers
that dropped the price from the MSRP of $150 +/- to a street price of
$100 or so. Garmin, of course, took some profit from that street price
through their selling it to the people we were buying it from.

For the end users, with two unlocks, the old way worked out to about $50
per GPS receiver for the latest mapping.

Now, to upgrade to the latest mapping, we generally will have to buy it
online from Garmin at $75 (plus shipping) for each GPS receiver. And
the bottom line is that Garmin has increased their profits by
eliminating the middle man and taking a larger share of the selling price.

I realize that some Garmin dealers are also selling the update DVDs but
they are getting nearly the same price as Garmin is asking. So I
suppose that Garmin is not giving their dealers very much of a margin
for profit on the update DVDs. Maybe one of the dealers that frequent
this newsgroup will share more info on that with us here.

Jack

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 18, 2007, 11:19:47 AM8/18/07
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:44:47 -0700, Jerry M wrote:
> They do not take any money out of credit card
> untill it is actually sent to you.

I thought the update was free (I just bought the GPS this month)?

Is the map update free or not?

Message has been deleted

Jim Beachy

Aug 18, 2007, 3:54:28 PM8/18/07
Maybe it has to do with NT and non-NT versions. I have what I thought were
the two latest versions of City Navigator North America NT. I've paid no
attention to the non-NT versions, so I don't know if they are different.

CNNA NT 2008 reports as Version 8. CNNA NT v7 (which was its name) reports
as Version 7. I didn't think I misseda version, as I try to keep up on all
the versions, but perhaps I missed one.

--
Jim Beachy

"Jerry M" <moorhe...@aol.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> The previos version before city navigator north america version 2008
> nt and non nt was version 8. Don't know how you missed version 8 last
> year Jim.
> Jerry

Phil Wheeler

Aug 18, 2007, 10:05:19 PM8/18/07
Jim Beachy wrote:
> City Navigator North America NT 2008 reports as Version 9 in the Mapsource
> "About" dialog box.
>
> The previous version, so far as I know, was Version 7, sold as City
> Navigator North America NT Version 7.
>
> To my knowledge, there is no "Version 8" for City Navigator North America.
> I don't believe I missed an update

You did.

I use v. 2008 in my 2720 and v. 8 in my 60Cx.

Phil

Phil Wheeler

Aug 18, 2007, 10:07:21 PM8/18/07
Jim Beachy wrote:
> Maybe it has to do with NT and non-NT versions. I have what I thought were
> the two latest versions of City Navigator North America NT. I've paid no
> attention to the non-NT versions, so I don't know if they are different.
>
> CNNA NT 2008 reports as Version 8. CNNA NT v7 (which was its name) reports
> as Version 7. I didn't think I misseda version, as I try to keep up on all
> the versions, but perhaps I missed one.

Nope. There was a V. 7, then a V. 8 and now a new
v. 2008. Don't know what it "reports as", but I
have all three and 2008 is the new one.

Phil

Phil Wheeler

Aug 18, 2007, 10:09:18 PM8/18/07
Sharon Ciccio wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:53:20 -0700, SFB wrote:
>> Now, after you get Garmin to send you the 2008 USA NT update
>
> Now I'm confused again.
> What it says in the Garmin FAQ is contradictory to what was said here.
>
> I believe you but can you confirm the latest maps are the 2008 version
> considering this is what it says verbatim in the Garmin 670 FAQ?
>
> Are the latest maps REALLY version v8?

No. I just upgraded from V. 8 to v. 2008. Had
used v. 8 for about a year.

Phil

wwere...@yahoo.com

Aug 18, 2007, 10:29:09 PM8/18/07

> > Are the latest maps REALLY version v8?
>
> No. I just upgraded from V. 8 to v. 2008. Had
> used v. 8 for about a year.

Garmin's got me totally confused, as usual. I called up the dealer
and he said don't buy the "2008", wait for v. 9.

Bruce.

Aug 18, 2007, 10:38:37 PM8/18/07
<wwere...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Garmin's got me totally confused, as usual. I called up the dealer
> and he said don't buy the "2008", wait for v. 9.

The dealer is the one confused. The new and current version is 2008. There
is no v9.

Bruce.

Jerry M

Aug 18, 2007, 10:47:45 PM8/18/07
On Aug 18, 3:54 pm, "Jim Beachy" <jbea...@cox.net> wrote:
> Maybe it has to do with NT and non-NT versions. I have what I thought were
> the two latest versions of City Navigator North America NT. I've paid no
> attention to the non-NT versions, so I don't know if they are different.
>
> CNNA NT 2008 reports as Version 8. CNNA NT v7 (which was its name) reports
> as Version 7. I didn't think I misseda version, as I try to keep up on all
> the versions, but perhaps I missed one.
In MapSource under help click on about MapSource then click on Product
Info... then City Navigator North America NT 2008 reports data version
as 9.00 not 8. Don't know Jim where you see version 8 for NT 2008.
Jerry

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 18, 2007, 10:53:52 PM8/18/07

When I press the "Map Info" button on my nüvi, the Europe map comes up as
v9 & the USA map shows as v8.
<checkmark> City Navigator Europe NT v9
[1] ALL
<checkmark> City Navigator North America NT v8
[1] ALL

I'm a little pissed at Garmin that many of you long ago received the City
Navigator North America NT 2008 update yet the person I spoke with at
Garmin said that was a "mistake" and that I couldn't even ASK for the
update until the 24th of August, and even then, only on the web.

I feel left out. Reading your reassuring posts above where it said to just
call again to ask for a different person, I tried Garmin's number today
+1-800-800-1020 but they won't be open until Monday when I'm leaving for a
trip to London for a couple of days and then back by Wednesday. Maybe I'll
call the UK 0808 238 0000 number and get the Europe update too!

Oh. Hey. I didn't think of that.

Do you know if an update is available for the Europe maps too?

Karen Wheless

Aug 18, 2007, 10:55:28 PM8/18/07
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:54:28 -0400, Jim Beachy wrote:
> Maybe it has to do with NT and non-NT versions.

What does NT mean?

I have "City Navigator Europe NT v9" and "City Navigator North America NT
v8".

What else would I have if I didn't have the "NT"?

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 18, 2007, 11:00:01 PM8/18/07
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:22:17 -0700, Pegleg wrote:
>>Is the map update free or not?
> Should be free for you...either e-mail customer support or call them and
> give them the information.

Monday morning,I'm gonna call Garmin at +1-800-800-1020 from SFO and put my
foot down asking for the North America updates!

As ammo, if they tell me to wait again, may I ask how long they've been
giving you the update CDs. Has it only been a day or a week or has it been
a month or more that you've been getting the updates they wouldn't give
me?

I might even call 0808 238 0000 when I land in LHR ten hours later, to see
if there's an update to the european maps. Have you been getting updates to
the european maps (I have v9).

Jerry M

Aug 18, 2007, 11:06:28 PM8/18/07

Sharon when you call 1-800-800-1020 press 1 for the order dept. Don't
bother talking to the tech people you will have better luck talking
directly to the ordering line which again is pressing 1.
Jerry

MR

Aug 19, 2007, 10:06:14 AM8/19/07

I'm so confused, I think I will wait on the next update.<bg>
MR

Bruce.

Aug 19, 2007, 10:18:02 AM8/19/07

> When I press the "Map Info" button on my nüvi, the Europe map comes up as
> v9 & the USA map shows as v8.
> <checkmark> City Navigator Europe NT v9
> [1] ALL
> <checkmark> City Navigator North America NT v8
> [1] ALL

Yes, then you do not have the latest version of CN North America NT. Mine
shows:

[checkmark] City Navigator North American NT 2008.

Bruce.

Phil Wheeler

Aug 19, 2007, 10:24:28 AM8/19/07

NT is a compressed form of the same CN Euro maps.
Content is the same. Has nothing to do with
version number.

But only certain newer units can use the NT form
of the maps (e.g., my 2720 and 60Cx can; my older
SP-III cannot).

Plus of NT maps is that they take less memory to
store a given area.

Phil

wwere...@yahoo.com

Aug 19, 2007, 10:55:53 AM8/19/07

> I'm so confused, I think I will wait on the next update.<bg>
> MR

Same here. Besides I looked up this "v. 2008" on Garmin's slow and
awkward map viewer and I see that the giant Walmart and the big
supermarket and car repair places here are still not shown - all
useful places to know about for travelers! - but some dinky little ice
cream store is shown, same as on my v.7. They have to take payoffs
for determining what businesses they show on their maps!

MR

Aug 19, 2007, 11:34:04 AM8/19/07

Right on. I'll just wait until the value is there.
MR

Jerry M

Aug 19, 2007, 12:07:44 PM8/19/07
On Aug 18, 11:00 pm, Sharon Ciccio <sharonchic...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> As ammo, if they tell me to wait again, may I ask how long they've been
> giving you the update CDs. Has it only been a day or a week or has it been
> a month or more that you've been getting the updates they wouldn't give
> me?
>
> I might even call 0808 238 0000 when I land in LHR ten hours later, to see
> if there's an update to the european maps. Have you been getting updates to
> the european maps (I have v9).

Sharon I ordered my CNNA NT 2008 Update disc on Jly 17 and received it
on July 31. I ordered it when it was first avaiable on garmin's
website. Some people had theirs before I got mine on 7-31-07. Hope
this gives you some ammo.
Jerry

Jim Beachy

Aug 19, 2007, 9:35:43 PM8/19/07
When I say "reports as" I'm referring to MapSource Help when you select
About and Product Info.

The man who has Version 8 is never at the mercy of the man who doesn't think
it exists! :-)
--
Jim Beachy

Jim Beachy

Aug 19, 2007, 9:37:55 PM8/19/07
I said what you said: 2008 shows up as version 9. I didn't think there was
a version 8 but I must have missed it because Phil Wheeler disabused me of
the notion that version 8 doesn't exist.
--
Jim Beachy

"Jerry M" <moorhe...@aol.com> wrote in message

Jerry M

Aug 19, 2007, 10:28:39 PM8/19/07
On Aug 19, 9:37 pm, "Jim Beachy" <jbea...@cox.net> wrote:
> I said what you said: 2008 shows up as version 9. I didn't think there was
> a version 8 but I must have missed it because Phil Wheeler disabused me of
> the notion that version 8 doesn't exist.
> --
> Jim Beachy
>
> "Jerry M" <moorheadb...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > On Aug 18, 3:54 pm, "Jim Beachy" <jbea...@cox.net> wrote:
> >> Maybe it has to do with NT and non-NT versions. I have what I thought
> >> were
> >> the two latest versions of City Navigator North America NT. I've paid no
> >> attention to the non-NT versions, so I don't know if they are different.
>
> >> CNNA NT 2008 reports as Version 8. CNNA NT v7 (which was its name)
> >> reports
> >> as Version 7. I didn't think I misseda version, as I try to keep up on
> >> all
> >> the versions, but perhaps I missed one.
> > In MapSource under help click on about MapSource then click on Product
> > Info... then City Navigator North America NT 2008 reports data version
> > as 9.00 not 8. Don't know Jim where you see version 8 for NT 2008.
> > Jerry- Hide quoted text -

No I only corrected you Jim because you said it reported as version 8.
Here is your quote: (CNNA NT 2008 reports as Version 8. CNNA NT v7

(which was its name)
> >> reports
> >> as Version 7. I didn't think I misseda version, as I try to keep up on
> >> all

> >> the versions, but perhaps I missed one.)
Jerry

Jack Erbes

Aug 20, 2007, 7:38:13 AM8/20/07
wwere...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Garmin is expert at making things as confusing as possible.

That is the backbone of their sales model. They want people to give up
on trying to understand the various models so they can buy exactly what
they want and just buy one.

No limits either, you can do that as often as you want.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 22, 2007, 11:14:43 AM8/22/07
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:41:55 -0700, Jerry M wrote:
>> Garmin refuses to send the maps until August 24th 2007 and even then ONLY
>> through the web site!
> Many of us indeed have nt 2008 installed

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I've been busy as a bumblebee.

To update you, I did call Garmin again at their USA +1-800-800-1020 number
and pressed "1" for technical support.

This fourth time calling them, the half-hour wait had dropped to 7 minutes
stated and about 5 minutes actual. Hey, they're getting much better!

I told my long story to the technician, who merely asked for my name and
telephone number in response and then provided an order number #4553247
stating all the free Garmin City Navigator North America NT 2008 update
disks are being sent in a UPS ground batch this Friday, August 24th.

Cross your fingers, but I hope to receive the Garmin City Navigator map
update in Redwood City within a week thereafter, thanks to your advice.

Without your advice, I would have believed that earlier technicial who said
unequivocally that "it was a mistake" that Garmin sent any map updates out.
Obviously she lied, perhaps just to make her life easier, I guess.

Otherwise, why would she lie so boldly without any shred of truth to the
lie, even so much as sticking to it when I told her others had received
their updates already.

Her other mistruth was the fact you could ONLY do it from the web,
according to her. This second support person didn't even flinch when I
asked for the update over the phone.

Why would a support technician just make these rules up?

I'm a bit confused about Garmin support.

Sharon

> On Aug 17, 9:25 pm, Sharon Ciccio <sharonchic...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:15:14 -0700, SFB wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:15:14 -0700, SFB wrote:
>>> Just give them a call early in the AM asking for the North America NT
>>> 2008 update and explain exactly when and where you bought your 670.
>>
>> We're all wrong!
>>
>> Garmin refuses to send the maps until August 24th 2007 and even then ONLY
>> through the web site!
>>
>> Here's what happened:
>> a. I called Garmin in the morning at +1-800-800-1020.
>> The wait said it was 30 minutes.
>> Ten or so minutes into the call I had to hang up.
>>
>> b. I called Garmin again before noon at +1-800-800-1020.
>> The wait said it was 20 minutes.
>> Ten or so minutes into the call, I had to hang up.
>>
>> c. I called after noon. The wait said it was 15 minutes.
>> About ten or so minutes later, Garmin sales support answered.
>>
>> I asked for the North America NT 2008 update and they told me I had to
>> register first on the web. I said I did already (thanks to advice here).
>> They then said we have to wait to the 24th of August and ask for the
>> updates on the web. I said I know of people who already received the
>> updates. They said that was a mistake. I asked to talk to the supervisor.
>> Ten minutes or so later I had to take another call.
>>
>> Did anyone else NOT get the update maps because Garmin changed their policy
>> or did I just get a bad apple in sales support at Garmin today?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Sharon
>
> Sharon I have city navigator north america nt 2008 update disc
> installed on my StreetPilot 2720 and StreetPilot c580 and pc. If they
> told you to wait until the 24th that probably means they are out of
> the update discs until then. Many of us indeed have nt 2008 installed
> now.
> Jerry

Phil Wheeler

Aug 23, 2007, 1:47:08 PM8/23/07
I use CN NA v 8 in my 60Cx. It was released about
a year ago

My 2720 came with CN NA NT v 8. I recently
upgraded the 2720 to v. 2008, which was released
this Summer. Not upgrading the 60Cx since I
mostly use it for hiking with topo maps loaded (in
addition to parts of CN NA v.8).

v. 8 is not v. 2008; would be v. 9 if they had not
changed the numbering system.

Phil

wwere...@yahoo.com

Aug 24, 2007, 12:01:43 AM8/24/07
Metroguide 4 and earlier was made by a different mapping company that
I feel was much superior to the present mapping company used by
Garmin. I forget the names. Is that old mapping company still making
and updating maps for some other GPS manufacturer now? Also, it was
so much easier to use GPS maps back then before the Garmin marketing
geniuses devised their arcane unlock code procedures.

Jack Erbes

Aug 24, 2007, 9:10:57 AM8/24/07

That was when Garmin was using Tele Atlas mapping data, now they are
using Navteq.

http://www.teleatlas.com/index.htm

http://www.navteq.com/

Tele Atlas is still alive and well, TomTom is one GPS maker that uses
them, MicroSoft also lists them (along with Navteq) on the Streets &
Trips software.

It's too bad that Tele Atlas and NAVTEQ do not have online map viewers
where we could go and look at and compare the data in the maps. We can
look at the NAVTEQ data through Garmin's Mapsource Map Viewers but I
don't know of a similar place for maps using Tele Atlas data.

Jack

Bruce.

Aug 24, 2007, 9:33:44 AM8/24/07
<wwere...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

They used Tele Atlas back then. I've compared my several years old MG 4.1
maps with CN NA 2008 and I find many cases were the old MG 4.1 is more
accurate even today. I'm not impressed with Navteq.

Bruce.

Dan Anderson

Aug 24, 2007, 11:19:00 AM8/24/07
Bruce. wrote:
> They used Tele Atlas back then. I've compared my several years old MG 4.1
> maps with CN NA 2008 and I find many cases were the old MG 4.1 is more
> accurate even today. I'm not impressed with Navteq.

In my area Metroguide ver. 4 is too old and roads are placed more
inaccurately than the Navteq data. Union Blvd., a major (4 to 6 lanes)
north/south route is missing in the middle of town. So routing through
that area is wrong.

Many of the roads match those on USGS 1:100,000 scale topographic
maps. In this area, those roads don't always exist now (meaning
Metroguide ver 4. shows roads that don't exist now) and others
have been moved/rerouted. However, some remote mountain roads
that Navtaq hasn't mapped are on USGS maps and hence on
Metroguide ver. 4. Some people, including me, like MG4 because
it shows these back roads.

With Navteq data I'm confident that the road shown is actually
there. With Metroguide ver. 4, the road may not be there anymore
or may not be as shown.

Navteq has over 600 people out driving the roads gathering
data about road types, speed limits, turn possibilities,
(Navteq says they have 204 attributes) area businesses, etc.
in many countries of the world. It's an impossible task and
they'll receive lots of criticism because they'll tell you
to turn left from road a to road b between 4 pm and 6 pm
when a left turn is not allowed during that time at
that junction. Handling trillions of pieces of data that
also change with time, is very difficult.

--
Dan
(email change 2001 to 2004)

Bruce.

Aug 24, 2007, 11:34:23 AM8/24/07
"Dan Anderson" <dander...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Navteq has over 600 people out driving the roads gathering
> data about road types, speed limits, turn possibilities,
> (Navteq says they have 204 attributes) area businesses, etc.
> in many countries of the world. It's an impossible task and
> they'll receive lots of criticism because they'll tell you
> to turn left from road a to road b between 4 pm and 6 pm
> when a left turn is not allowed during that time at
> that junction. Handling trillions of pieces of data that
> also change with time, is very difficult.

It told me to turn South on a one-way-North road. I asked the locals and
they said it had been one way for as long as they could remember.

Bruce.

Dan Anderson

Aug 24, 2007, 11:39:51 AM8/24/07

And you've reported the error to Navteq so they can correct
it, right?

wwere...@yahoo.com

Aug 24, 2007, 11:59:51 AM8/24/07

> Navteq has over 600 people out driving the roads gathering
> data about road types, speed limits, turn possibilities,
> (Navteq says they have 204 attributes) area businesses, etc.
> in many countries of the world. It's an impossible task and
> they'll receive lots of criticism because they'll tell you
> to turn left from road a to road b between 4 pm and 6 pm
> when a left turn is not allowed during that time at
> that junction. Handling trillions of pieces of data that
> also change with time, is very difficult.
>
> --
> Dan
> (email change 2001 to 2004)
> (www.gpsmap.net)

Tele Atlas was much superior in rural areas.

Dan, you seem to be familiar with Navteq. Can you tell me how they
select the POI's that they show? I feel that they must be getting
kickbacks because they often show obscure little shops and services
and ignore places that are important to travelers, such as hospitals -
and, as I mentioned above, in my area they show a dinky little ice
cream parlor but not the big supermarket or the Walmart Supercenter.

So Tom Tom still uses Tele Atlas? There seems to be very little
discussion of Tom Tom here. I am unfamiliar with it as I have always
owned Garmins. Is there a good place to go to see the comparison
between the two? I own the Garmin 276C.

Bruce.

Aug 24, 2007, 12:28:00 PM8/24/07

> And you've reported the error to Navteq so they can correct
> it, right?

Not yet. I was tired that day after submitting a dozen other errors.

Bruce.

Dan Anderson

Aug 24, 2007, 4:02:45 PM8/24/07
wwere...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Tele Atlas was much superior in rural areas.

If you mean Metroguide was much superior in rural areas,
that may or may not have been because of Tele Atlas.
Tele Atlas may have used USGS data or Garmin may have
used USGS data and combined it with city data from
Tele Atlas.

> Dan, you seem to be familiar with Navteq. Can you tell me how they
> select the POI's that they show? I feel that they must be getting
> kickbacks because they often show obscure little shops and services
> and ignore places that are important to travelers, such as hospitals -
> and, as I mentioned above, in my area they show a dinky little ice
> cream parlor but not the big supermarket or the Walmart Supercenter.

You can get some information on Navteq and Tele Atlas by
going to their web sites. I've seen some reports on on-line
magazines and TV on Navteq and Tele Atlas. Otherwise I
wouldn't say I know much about them.

Not being complete in supplying navigation data would
be a good way to put your company out of business. I
would expect kickbacks to be a poor business practice
in this case. Also I think the big companies could
afford to pay more easily than the small ones.

I believe Navteq has only recently really started mapping
POIs by their field operatives and they are doing more
rural roads now too according to reports. Garmin doesn't
necessarily get all their data for any given road map
product from Navteq. POI/business data may be purchased
from other sources (i.e. phone companies or their yellow
page competitors) by either Garmin or Navteq and will
certainly very over time.

> So Tom Tom still uses Tele Atlas? There seems to be very little
> discussion of Tom Tom here. I am unfamiliar with it as I have always
> owned Garmins. Is there a good place to go to see the comparison
> between the two? I own the Garmin 276C.

I don't pay much attention to Tom Tom. Seems to me there was a
desire to form a group for it. Check for something like
alt.satellite.gps.tomtom and also Yahoo Groups.

The GPS / navigation on line magazines have reviews since
Tom Tom is a strong road navigation competitor to Garmin.

Dan Anderson

Aug 24, 2007, 4:09:33 PM8/24/07

Since there's on the order of 10exp12 pieces of data and
perhaps an error rate of .0001 (10exp-4) there's
somewhere around 10exp8 (100,000,000) more errors to go.
And after all those are fixed the passage of time will
add plenty more.

Bruce.

Aug 24, 2007, 4:49:52 PM8/24/07

> Since there's on the order of 10exp12 pieces of data and
> perhaps an error rate of .0001 (10exp-4) there's
> somewhere around 10exp8 (100,000,000) more errors to go.
> And after all those are fixed the passage of time will
> add plenty more.

Based on my experience, the POI error rate is more like 15-20%. A very
shoddy showing. I'd be too embarrassed to charge for if it was my data.

Bruce.

Oliver Costich

Aug 24, 2007, 6:29:50 PM8/24/07

Apparently so is Garmin. The info you get definitely depends on the
particular rep you get.

Dan Anderson

Aug 24, 2007, 7:33:58 PM8/24/07

Yes, the little I've used POIs, I've run into errors. I
can't really comment on the POI error rate since the
latest I have is Metroguide version 6. Lots of businesses
in this area are correctly listed; however, since Longs Drugs
closed all? of their stores in this area, those listings
are now wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few
years to get them removed from the latest Metroguide
and CN.

Navteq recently announced that their field people would
be gathering POI information while driving the roads so
their POI information might get better in the future.
They may have relied on other sources for their POI
data in the past. Their focus has been on doing the
roads needed by the most people.

Bruce.

Aug 24, 2007, 8:17:51 PM8/24/07

> Yes, the little I've used POIs, I've run into errors. I
> can't really comment on the POI error rate since the
> latest I have is Metroguide version 6.

Especially irking is how so many long term businesses are missing from CN NA
2008. And most of the missing ones are listed in my 5 year old copy of
MetroGuide 4.1, the last version that was done by Tele Atlas.

> Navteq recently announced that their field people would
> be gathering POI information while driving the roads so
> their POI information might get better in the future.

I hope so. They've got a LOT of work to do.

Bruce.

Edwin Pawlowski

Aug 24, 2007, 11:32:54 PM8/24/07

"Bruce." <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Based on my experience, the POI error rate is more like 15-20%. A very
> shoddy showing. I'd be too embarrassed to charge for if it was my data.

I have to wonder, if at the time of release the POI was 100% perfect, by the
time it is mailed and received by the customer how many are wrong. IMO,
there are a lot of POI that are P of no I. Reads more like a listing of
businesses but of little value to a traveler. If I'm looking for a company
that repairs well pumps, I'd go to the phone book before I'd pick up the
Garmin.

Bruce.

Aug 25, 2007, 12:02:11 AM8/25/07
"Edwin Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message

> I have to wonder, if at the time of release the POI was 100% perfect, by
> the time it is mailed and received by the customer how many are wrong.

No doubt an acceptanly small number, asuming they were right to begin with.
Missing 75 year old POIs is not what I call accepable. Of a major grocery
that has been there 15 and is present in Tele Aatas 4.1

> there are a lot of POI that are P of no I.

While they suck up storage they do very little harm otherwise, In my
observasion, only a small number of POIs are mapped that aren't really where
the internet says it should.me

> Reads more like a listing of businesses but of little value to a traveler.

Thrue, I'm generallly not looking for a backsmith. But logging. food, gas,
entertainmemt, rest stops, service stations are critical and at 11pm at
night when I'm low on gas, and they'd better be right.

> If I'm looking for a company that repairs well pumps,>

Me too, but that will change, probably pretty soon. The ever growing
memory chips will make it possible to put emtire yellow pages in the gps.
Despite the smaller screen, the search features will make it preferrable to
paper maps.

Maybe memories chips aren't ready for that now, but they soon will be.

Boofers.

wwere...@yahoo.com

Aug 25, 2007, 12:23:44 AM8/25/07
IMO,
there are a lot of POI that are P of no I.

____________

Exactly! Far too many. And far too many important POI's are absent.
What is the reason for this? Why are so many stupid esoteric and
arcane things like bead shops and well pump repair stores and gay and
lesbian centers listed and so many points that are very important -
and even life saving - to travelers missing? Where to get some
feedback from these money-grubbing GPS/map companies?

wwere...@yahoo.com

Aug 25, 2007, 12:29:13 AM8/25/07
But logging. food, gas,
entertainmemt, rest stops, service stations are critical and at 11pm
at
night when I'm low on gas, and they'd better be right.

______

And hospitals. Hospitals and emergency medical centers in out of the
way places are very often not shown. Likewise gas stations in out of
the way places where it is most important to know where they are. You
don't need to see every gas station on Main Street!

Message has been deleted

Phil Wheeler

Aug 25, 2007, 9:36:57 PM8/25/07

MG 4.01 (dated 2000) is the version of MG I have.
Made by Tele Atlas, and still has better detail
in some less urban areas.

Phil

Sharon Ciccio

Aug 31, 2007, 12:12:59 PM8/31/07
Wooo hoo! My Garmin "Map Update 20008 City Navigator North America NT"
update DVD just arrived in the mail!

It didn't come with any more instructions than that below so I'm not
exactly sure WHAT it is 'updating' cuz I didn't get an original DVD with
the Nuvi 6xx in the first place.

To install your Map Update product:
D:\windows\setup "Install Garmin 2008 Map Update" & follow prompts.
It says "Includes USB device drivers", "Internet access is required",
"Cable and GPS not inluded" :)

Maybe I should open a new thread as this is a whole new topic ...

Yet, my main wonderance is what am I "updating" since I have never
installed a Garmin product before and none came with the Nuvi.

Jerry M

Aug 31, 2007, 2:18:32 PM8/31/07

If you do not have CNNA NT installed on your pc you should have called
garmin to send you the full version nt that you have in your nuvi when
you bought it that way it would also update the maps in MapSource on
your pc. By the way sure you meant NT2008 not 20008 after your Wooo
hoo! statement.
Jerry

Sharon Ciccio

Sep 2, 2007, 12:29:11 AM9/2/07
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:18:32 -0700, Jerry M wrote:
> If you do not have CNNA NT installed on your pc you should have called
> garmin to send you the full version nt that you have in your nuvi when
> you bought it that way it would also update the maps in MapSource on
> your pc.

Hi Jerry,

Garmin charged me 15 dollars plus 6 dollars shipping plus tax for EACH of
the full version nt maps (North America and Europe separately) for about
fifty dollars total.

Does everyone pay the fifty dollars I did or is there a better way?

Sharon