James Hansen and Climate Change; NASA’s Disgrace

Nick

May 31, 2010, 11:29:54 PM5/31/10
Troubling Refusal to Disclose
James Hansen and Climate Change; NASA’s Disgrace
By Dr. Tim Ball Monday, May 31, 2010

Christopher Horner requested information from National Aeronautical
and Space Administration (NASA) through Freedom of Information (FOI)
and now reports, “We have asked the court to order NASA – which has
evaded our Freedom of Information Act requests for three years – to
turn over documents related to global warming activities undertaken by
federal employees.”

It’s the pattern of blocking seen throughout the official climate
science community.

Recently the University of Virginia asked the courts to block requests
for information from Attorney General Cuccinelli on the Michael Mann
situation. What do they have to hide? We’re talking about scientific
claims at the basis of massive global energy and economic policies.
The taxpayer funds the work and will be impacted, yet they’re denied
access.

Who Is In Control?
Public image is a major concern for NASA, so why have they allowed
James Hansen, Director of their Goddard Institute for Space Studies
(GISS) to act as he has? There is now evidence suggesting the problem
has gone on for a long time; “the equation upon which all Global
Warming Theory studies are built is inherently flawed.” They then make
a most devastating claim, “Worse, however, than the flaw in the
equation, is that this fact has remained covered up by NASA from the
first Lunar landing until now, nearly 41 years.”

NASA needs to understand weather and climate because it affects the
launch orbit and landing of space vehicles. In the early years they
produced excellent work like Herman and Goldberg’s 1978 book Sun,
Weather and Climate. Early interests somehow changed. “Much of the
institute’s early work involved study of planetary atmospheres using
data collected by telescopes and space probes, and in time that led to
GISS becoming a leading center of atmospheric modeling and of climate
change.”
Apparently Hansen caused much of the shift as he pushed his political
agenda. NASA GISS employee Gavin Schmidt provided support especially
by active participation in RealClimate the attack group organized to
defend the Climatic Research Unit (CRU).

Many people wondered how much of his work time went to Realclimate
activities and how much represented NASA’s positions.

Hansen deflected attention from his activities by claiming he was
muzzled for political ends.

His former boss Dr. John S. Theon, retired Chief of the Climate
Processes Research Program at NASA completely discredited this idea.
“Hansen was never muzzled even though he violated NASA’s official
agency position on climate forecasting (i.e., we did not know enough
to forecast climate change or mankind’s effect on it). Hansen thus
embarrassed NASA by coming out with his claims of global warming in
1988 in his testimony before Congress” – EPW

Hansen knew the situation because in public he presented himself
either as Director of GISS or as a private citizen. He’s entitled to
his views as a private citizen, but it’s an affront to imply that when
speaking to a group on climate his position will not influence public
opinion. Of course, his private views will influence his professional
views.

Theon made his own views on global warming public after he retired in
a communication to the Minority Office at the Environment and Public
Works Committee on January 15, 2009. “I appreciate the opportunity to
add my name to those who disagree that global warming is man-made,”
His major concern was the models. “My own belief concerning
anthropogenic climate change is that the models do not realistically
simulate the climate system because there are many very important sub-
grid scale processes that the models either replicate poorly or
completely omit,” He made a disturbing comment about the data, which
beyond the models is at the very heart of the climate problem.
“Furthermore, some scientists have manipulated the observed data to
justify their model results. In doing so, they neither explain what
they have modified in the observations, nor explain how they did it.
They have resisted making their work transparent so that it can be
replicated independently by other scientists. This is clearly contrary
to how science should be done. Thus there is no rational justification
for using climate model forecasts to determine public policy,” Is
Theon referring to Hansen when he talks about manipulating data to
prove the models? Why didn’t Theon rein in Hansen? He explains the
limitations of his position with Hansen. “I was, in effect, Hansen’s
supervisor because I had to justify his funding, allocate his
resources, and evaluate his results. I did not have the authority to
give him his annual performance evaluation,” In the Minority Office
report Theon describes Hansen as a “nice, likeable fellow,” but
worries “he’s been overcome by his belief—almost religious—that he’s
going to save the world.” And that’s the problem.

Either ignorance of climate science or a deliberate attempt to mislead
or both
Hansen uses his bureaucratic position as Director of NASA GISS, to
pursue a political agenda. He inflated the issue of human induced
global warming to a global fraud in 1988 testimony before a House and
Senate committee when he said; “the greenhouse effect has been
detected and it is changing our climate now” This shows either
ignorance of climate science or a deliberate attempt to mislead or
both. The phrasing suggests incorrectly the greenhouse effect is new.
There is no evidence, except in the computer models, that it is
causing current climate change. He capped this with another
unsupportable statement that he was, “99 percent certain that the
warming trend was not a natural variation but was caused by a buildup
of carbon dioxide and other artificial gases in the atmosphere.”

NASA GISS Controls And “Adjusts” Data
Besides its focus on modeling and climate change NASA GISS established
itself as the source of global temperatures. It’s probably the record
Theon refers to in his comment about data because it has consistently
been the centre of controversy.

One was discovery of the so-called the Y2K error, which resulted in a
significant change in the US temperature record. The claim 1998 was
the warmest year on record and 9 of 10 of the warmest years were in
that decade was amended to 1934 being the warmest and 4 of the top 10
were in the 1930s.

Emails related to this incident obtained through freedom of
information prompted the comment, “Climate activist and arch-druid of
the AGW movement James Hansen caught out telling porkies? Now that
would be a tragedy for the Climate Fear Promotion industry! “ (Porkies
is English slang for lies.)

Each year global annual temperatures are produced by different
agencies and every time the NASA GISS data shows a more pronounced
warming. “Each time Hansen announces that the GISS has discovered a
better way to statistically modify actual US ground temperatures,
warming becomes even more pronounced and any cooling less pronounced.”

All adjustments enhance the warming trend to support Theon’s comment
that, “some scientists have manipulated the observed data to justify
their model results.” Even with adjustments model projections
overestimate the warming, but then exact replication would raise more
suspicions.

“Hansen is a political activist who spreads fear even when NASA’s own
data contradict him”
In the July/August 2008 issue of Launch Magazine NASA Astronaut and
Physicist Walter Cunningham wrote, “Hansen is a political activist who
spreads fear even when NASA’s own data contradict him,”… “NASA should
be at the forefront in the collection of scientific evidence and
debunking the current hysteria over human-caused, or Anthropogenic
Global Warming (AGW). Unfortunately, it’s becoming just another agency
caught up in the politics of global warming, or worse, politicized
science.”

Actions Speak Louder Than Words
Here are NASA’s own words about transparency. “NASA is expanding
transparency, participation, and collaboration and creating a new
level of openness and accountability. We are focusing on embedding
open government into three integrated aspects of our operations—
policy, technology, and culture.”

Actions of NASA GISS under James Hansen makes them a mockery.

Surfer

Jun 1, 2010, 12:52:21 AM6/1/10
On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:29:54 -0700 (PDT), Nick
<proch...@hushmail.com> wrote:

<...>

If the world needs to spend more on infrastructure to reduce CO2
emissions, NASA will be provided with less money, not more.

So why would NASA supply evidence for AGW if the evidence wasn't
genuine?

Last Post

Jun 1, 2010, 1:05:45 AM6/1/10
On Jun 1, 12:52 am, Surfer <n...@spam.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:29:54 -0700 (PDT), Nick
>
> <prochem...@hushmail.com> wrote:
>
> <...>
>
> If the world needs to spend more on infrastructure to reduce CO2
> emissions, NASA will be provided with less money, not more.
>
> So why would NASA supply evidence for AGW if the evidence wasn't
> genuine?

Ø Hansen and his sidekick Schmidt made
sure the data was screwy

Ø Perhaps it is because Gore got Hansen the
job so he could make sure that the data
pointed to warming. Gore pays him well.

—— ——
There are three types of people that you
can_not_talk_into_behaving_well. The
stupid, the religious fanatic, and the evil.

1- The stupid aren't smart enough to follow the
logic of what you say. You have to tell them
what is right in very simple terms. If they do
not agree, you will never be able to change
their mind.

2- The religious fanatic: If what you say goes
against their religious belief, they will cling to
that belief even if it means their death.

3- There is no way to reform evil- not in a
million years. There is no way to convince

the anthropogenic_global_warming_alarmists,

the terrorists, serial killers, paedophiles, and

predators to change their evil ways, They
knew what they were doing was wrong, but
knowledge didn't stop them. It only made
them more careful in how they went about
performing their evil deeds.

J. Clarke

Jun 1, 2010, 1:16:12 AM6/1/10

You've never worked for an incompetent manager trying to cover his ass
have you? Doesn't matter if planes are falling out of the sky, doesn't
matter if it's not in compliance with standards intended to prevent
exactly the sort of problem that is being experienced, doesn't matter if
it wasn't in compliance when it was designed, any fix has to be an
"improvement", not a "step backward" to standards-compliant design.
Why? Because if you pull the Revision DD drawing and follow the changes
you get to where the thing was redrawn at revision CB, and so get that
drawing and follow back and eventually you get to the original, and
there, in the approval block, is Mr. Incompetent's signature and now,
two years from retirement, he doesn't _dare_ admit that he screwed up.

YKhan

Jun 1, 2010, 5:51:22 AM6/1/10
On Jun 1, 10:52 am, Surfer <n...@spam.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:29:54 -0700 (PDT), Nick
>
> <prochem...@hushmail.com> wrote:
>
> <...>
>
> If the world needs to spend more on infrastructure to reduce CO2
> emissions, NASA will be provided with less money, not more.
>
> So why would NASA supply evidence for AGW if the evidence wasn't
> genuine?

Well obviously, they think NASA will be at the forefront of research
in that field. So even as its spaceflight budget is cut, it'll get
increases in climate science budgets.

Yousuf Khan

Sam Wormley

Jun 1, 2010, 1:36:22 PM6/1/10
Here are a couple of Hansen's presentations:

Slides from Jim Hansen's Bjerknes Lecture at San Francisco AGU
meeting Dec. 17, 2008
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2008/AGUBjerknes_20081217.pdf

Slides from Jim Hansen's Presentation at the French National
Assembly on May 12, 2010
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2010/May2010_FrenchNationalAssembly.pdf

Last Post

Jun 1, 2010, 5:23:43 PM6/1/10
On Jun 1, 1:36 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are a couple of Hansen's presentations:
>
> Slides from Jim Hansen's Bjerknes Lecture at San Francisco AGU
> meeting Dec. 17, 2008
>    http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2008/AGUBjerknes_20081217.pdf

Ø So what? The bastard is insane

> Slides from Jim Hansen's Presentation at the French National
> Assembly on May 12, 2010
>    http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2010/May2010_FrenchNationalAssembly.pdf

Ø More insanity from a proven liar
f◊√√◊