Philips K40 E3 error

Henrik Petersen

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

Does anyone know what the error message "E3" means and how to fix it on
a Philips 25" K40-chassis color tv?
When it is powered on the high voltage seems on and the speakers hums a
little as they always did but there is no picture and sound.
I do have a schematic and a fault-isolation tree but unfortunately I see
no "E3" on it.
Please help.

Regards
Henrik Petersen

Maurits

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

Henrik Petersen wrote: <34EC0C2A...@post.uni-c.dk>...

>Does anyone know what the error message "E3" means and how to fix it on
>a Philips 25" K40-chassis color tv?
>When it is powered on the high voltage seems on and the speakers hums a
>little as they always did but there is no picture and sound.
>I do have a schematic and a fault-isolation tree but unfortunately I
see
>no "E3" on it.

I see no E3 message in the quick diagnosis table TRD4 from the service
docs.

present are E0/E1/E2/88 : that's all.

Sure it is E3?

Maurits

Maarten A.E.Bakker

Feb 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/20/98

Henrik Petersen (henrik.m...@post.uni-c.dk) wrote:
: Does anyone know what the error message "E3" means and how to fix it on

: a Philips 25" K40-chassis color tv?
: When it is powered on the high voltage seems on and the speakers hums a
: little as they always did but there is no picture and sound.
: I do have a schematic and a fault-isolation tree but unfortunately I see
: no "E3" on it.

E3 means that some supply is missing. Usually the horizontal oscillator is
dead (replace TDA3576) or there is something wrong in the line output
stage. Are you sure you have high voltage?

--
Greetings, Maarten.

Andrew Real

Feb 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/23/98

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:40:42 +0100, Henrik Petersen
<henrik.m...@post.uni-c.dk> wrote:

>Does anyone know what the error message "E3" means and how to fix it on
>a Philips 25" K40-chassis color tv?
>When it is powered on the high voltage seems on and the speakers hums a
>little as they always did but there is no picture and sound.
>I do have a schematic and a fault-isolation tree but unfortunately I see
>no "E3" on it.

>Please help.
>
>Regards
>Henrik Petersen

Hello Henrik,
I don't remember the K40 having and built in diagnosis so to me it
seems like it might be stuck in an external AV mode ('Ext3') but then,
way back when the K40 was built manufacturers didn't put more than one
scart on something.
BTW do you know the K40's in the UK were recalled a few years ago
because of catching on fire. This was due to a capacitor in the line
output stage going dry jointed and eventually sparking. When ever you
do any work on a K40 check all the joints on the line output panel.
Hope this helps.

Andrew

To reply by email, please remove antispam. from the address.
Sorry, blame the spammers.

Maarten A.E.Bakker

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

: I don't remember the K40 having and built in diagnosis so to me it

: seems like it might be stuck in an external AV mode ('Ext3') but then,
: way back when the K40 was built manufacturers didn't put more than one
: scart on something.

Well, there were K40 SYSTEM TV sets with 2 SCARTs on the back, and two
RCA inputs on the front, so there can be even 4 AV inputs...

For the real reason that E3 is appearing, see my previous posting.

: BTW do you know the K40's in the UK were recalled a few years ago

: because of catching on fire. This was due to a capacitor in the line
: output stage going dry jointed and eventually sparking. When ever you
: do any work on a K40 check all the joints on the line output panel.
: Hope this helps.

I have seen a K40 that cought fire. Apparently the spark sets fire to
the diagonal support behind the line transformer, this in turn lights the
right plastic side of the chassis, which works like a chimney. Always cut
away the support bar (also for easier soldering).

--
Greetings, Maarten.