That state of metric conversion in the US

cameo

Feb 15, 2013, 11:06:24 PM2/15/13
I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
now, not much came out of that initial excitement.

Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
when the metric system is so much simpler? Much of the rest of the
industrialized world is already on the metric system and not following
their lead just impedes international commerce.

Gib Bogle

Feb 15, 2013, 11:07:43 PM2/15/13
Think "Freedom Fries"

rickman

Feb 15, 2013, 11:16:04 PM2/15/13
I think I discussed this recently in one of the groups. I remember
distinctly (or as well as I am capable of remembering) that in the 70's
we agreed to move to metric coordinated with Canada. It was a
multi-step program with information and education being the first two
steps. We even required the US auto makers to add metric to the
speedometers. But when it came to actually changing something (I think
speed limits was the first thing to change) we told Canada to go on
without us and we'd catch up... which we *never* did.

I expect there was too much push back from the average Joe. Heck, I
worked at a company just a few years ago that made push to talk radios
for the US military. I was surprised that the mechanical engineers were
still using inches and converting all the metric stuff rather than doing
it all in metric!

Converting is inevitable, but perhaps not until it starts to make an
economic impact. By then China will be running things and we will just
be the tail on the dog.

--

Rick

Tim Williams

Feb 16, 2013, 1:06:32 AM2/16/13
I use metric frequently in my work, but apparently metric fasteners are
still a few cents more expensive than standard over here, so there's still
economic pressure, however slight, to continue using them.

Metric is kind of nice because you can "make your own" when it comes to
magic sizes and stuff. Sometimes you want, say, a plate that's 1/4 or
3/8" thick, but it just doesn't look quite right -- visually appealing.
Instead, you could specify 5, 7.5, 10, etc. mm thickness, or other odd
values, assuming it's in stock of course -- and potentially get more
elegant proportions and whatnot. This is analogous to working in
conventional vs. Exx series R/L/C component values: some ratios are easy
to get (factor of 2 = 1k:2k vs. 1k:2.2k off by 10%), others not so much.
On further analysis, one would probably find it's a wash, in the end.

Insert usual blurb about the inch technically being metric (i.e., so
effing what, specify 6.35mm bolts instead).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

"cameo" <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote in message

Feb 16, 2013, 3:00:48 AM2/16/13
In article <kfn0hs$hg1$1...@dont-email.me>, ca...@unreal.invalid says...
What most in the U.S. don't realize is that we've already gone mostly
metric. 500ml bottles, a lot of dry measure in grams now, and bolts on
cars are all metric, right down the the lug nuts.

The only thing we haven't made the jump for is distance and temperature.
The old English measures still hold.

upsid...@downunder.com

Feb 16, 2013, 7:36:25 AM2/16/13
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:06:24 -0800, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid>
wrote:
It seems that this is just a way to circumvent any WTO free trade
agreements :-(

You have to make US specific brochures using some strange units.

In the worst case, any mechanical specifications _must_ be specified
as some fraction of an inch (0.025400000000... m).

Tauno Voipio

Feb 16, 2013, 8:17:29 AM2/16/13
The Americans are just a bit slow to apply the decisions of the
Congress: in 1866, the metric system was officially mandated.

--

Tauno Voipio

MrTallyman

Feb 16, 2013, 9:56:07 AM2/16/13
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:06:24 -0800, retardeo <reta...@unreal.invalid>
wrote:

>I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>now, not much came out of that initial excitement.

Can you really be that stupid?
Metric conversion DID occur, idiot. Examine ANY CAD package. Look at
ALL Us CAR makers and ALL US AIRCRAFT makers. You know, that place where
MOST of the world buys all their passenger planes.

>Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change

It isn't the public. It is parents and educators. Learn to point your
finger ONLY when you are correct, asshole. Then learn WHERE to point it.
I really can't believe that your blinders are adjusted so tightly that
you cannot see. Oh wait... they are not blinders, you are simply too
goddamned retarded to make valid observations about any fucking thing but
how to wipe your own ass.

>when the metric system is so much simpler?

Like you?

> Much of the rest of the
>industrialized world is already on the metric system

So is the US, you total fucking retard.

> and not following
>their lead just impedes international commerce.

You are only about as retarded as a person claiming to be educated in a
modern world can get. You are worse than a Windows lover retard trolling
a Linux group.

Fuck off And DIE, US hating TROLL FUCK!

Change your nym to retardeo, boy.

dave

Feb 16, 2013, 9:58:04 AM2/16/13
The FCC uses the metric system. I have a km/h scale on my speedometer.

Joerg

Feb 16, 2013, 10:40:02 AM2/16/13
rickman wrote:
> On 2/15/2013 11:06 PM, cameo wrote:
>> I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>> some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>> a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>> now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>>
>> Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
>> when the metric system is so much simpler? Much of the rest of the
>> industrialized world is already on the metric system and not following
>> their lead just impedes international commerce.
>
> I think I discussed this recently in one of the groups. I remember
> distinctly (or as well as I am capable of remembering) that in the 70's
> we agreed to move to metric coordinated with Canada. It was a
> multi-step program with information and education being the first two
> steps. We even required the US auto makers to add metric to the
> speedometers. But when it came to actually changing something (I think
> speed limits was the first thing to change) we told Canada to go on
> without us and we'd catch up... which we *never* did.
>
> I expect there was too much push back from the average Joe. Heck, I
> worked at a company just a few years ago that made push to talk radios
> for the US military. I was surprised that the mechanical engineers were
> still using inches and converting all the metric stuff rather than doing
> it all in metric!

Surprised? Some of my work is in aerospace. There it's all inches,
pounds, PSI, slugs, knots, feet and so on. To some extent that is even
so in the medical device industry. The topper:

Many catheter datasheet have the length in Centimeters, most of the rest
in imperial units, and the diameter in French (!).

> Converting is inevitable, but perhaps not until it starts to make an
> economic impact. By then China will be running things and we will just
> be the tail on the dog.

If the current administration keeps doing what it is doing, then there
is a high chance of that happening :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

SoothSayer

Feb 16, 2013, 10:40:08 AM2/16/13
That would be the DOT then, eh? Jeez.

The ONLY place we did not convert that ever mattered was our reluctant
paper industry. So printers have to be able to take euro paper sizing
and naming and US. AND the drivers for those printers and the software
we publish things with.

Then, at the smaller ma and pa shop of whatever genre, it becomes
personal choice, which means "what you were raised on". Hence a
perceived reluctance to change, depending on how one does the analysis.

But nearly all, if not all major companies in the US are metric, or use
some form of dual compliance.

Some folks simply need to wake the fuck up, and take the fucking horse
blinders off.

John Larkin

Feb 16, 2013, 10:56:18 AM2/16/13
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:06:24 -0800, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>
>Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
>when the metric system is so much simpler?

The US public rarely does any math that involves unit conversions. Two cups of
flour is easily doubled to four cups for a double batch. Feet and square feet is
about the most math that most people do. Imperial units work fine in daily life.

We do all our engineering calculations in SI units, except packaging and PCB
layout, which is still decimal inches. What's shocking is that any engineering
would still be done in imperial units, but apparently a lot is.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer

Jim Thompson

Feb 16, 2013, 10:58:41 AM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 07:40:02 -0800, Joerg <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>rickman wrote:
[snip]
>> Heck, I
>> worked at a company just a few years ago that made push to talk radios
>> for the US military. I was surprised that the mechanical engineers were
>> still using inches and converting all the metric stuff rather than doing
>> it all in metric!
>>

>Surprised? Some of my work is in aerospace. There it's all inches,
>pounds, PSI, slugs, knots, feet and so on. To some extent that is even
>so in the medical device industry. The topper:

[snip]

You forgot "Jerk"... the derivative of acceleration... used in
elevator specifications >:-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

John Larkin

Feb 16, 2013, 10:59:27 AM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:56:07 -0800, MrTallyman
<MrTal...@BananaCountersRUs.org> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:06:24 -0800, retardeo <reta...@unreal.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>>some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>>a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>>now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>
> Can you really be that stupid?
>Metric conversion DID occur, idiot. Examine ANY CAD package. Look at
>ALL Us CAR makers

Gas is sold by the gallon. The big numbers on speedometers are MPH.

and ALL US AIRCRAFT makers. You know, that place where
>MOST of the world buys all their passenger planes.

You mean Airbus?

Don't all aircraft still use knots for speed and feet for altitude?

>>Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
>
> It isn't the public. It is parents and educators. Learn to point your
>finger ONLY when you are correct, asshole. Then learn WHERE to point it.
>I really can't believe that your blinders are adjusted so tightly that
>you cannot see. Oh wait... they are not blinders, you are simply too
>goddamned retarded to make valid observations about any fucking thing but
>how to wipe your own ass.

Fetish again.

Pomegranate Bastard

Feb 16, 2013, 11:50:25 AM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:56:07 -0800, MrTallyman
<MrTal...@BananaCountersRUs.org> wrote:

Oh dear Nymbecile. Have you tried lying down in darkened room?

k...@attt.bizz

Feb 16, 2013, 11:53:37 AM2/16/13
wrote:

>I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>
>Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
>when the metric system is so much simpler?

Because it's not necessary.

>Much of the rest of the
>industrialized world is already on the metric system and not following
>their lead just impedes international commerce.

It does nothing of the kind. NC tools made that argument moot.

k...@attt.bizz

Feb 16, 2013, 11:56:22 AM2/16/13
No, it just shows that American's contempt for Congress isn't a recent
phenomenon. ;-)

k...@attt.bizz

Feb 16, 2013, 11:58:27 AM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:58:04 -0800, dave <rick...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

I had one car that had the scales reversed. It really screwed with my
time estimation, though not speed (never got a ticket).

Syd Rumpo

Feb 16, 2013, 12:15:48 PM2/16/13
On 16/02/2013 15:40, SoothSayer wrote:

<snipped>

> The ONLY place we did not convert that ever mattered was our reluctant
> paper industry. So printers have to be able to take euro paper sizing
> and naming and US. AND the drivers for those printers and the software
> we publish things with.

Fascinating paper facts #273:

A0 paper is defined as 1m^2 with sqrt(2):1 aspect ratio so you can fold
it in half to make A1 which is 1/2 m^2 etc.

So A4 - the usual European printer/copier size - is 1/16 m^2.

So ordinary 80gsm (grams per square metre) printer/copier paper is 5g
per sheet.

Next time you're at a party, you can bring this up to impress the ladies.

You're welcome.
--
Syd

Tauno Voipio

Feb 16, 2013, 12:36:50 PM2/16/13
On 16.2.13 5:56 , John Larkin wrote:

> The US public rarely does any math that involves unit conversions. Two cups of
> flour is easily doubled to four cups for a double batch. Feet and square feet is
> about the most math that most people do. Imperial units work fine in daily life.

Like the imperial gallon?

--

Tauno Voipio

Jim Thompson

Feb 16, 2013, 12:37:14 PM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:15:48 +0000, Syd Rumpo <use...@nononono.co.uk>
wrote:
"Impress the ladies"? How? Get them to roll their eyes and walk away
?:-}

Yesterday, at the neighborhood Safeway, a young lady with a cast on
her foot was just behind me at the cart rack, so I pulled one out and
told her to take it.

She commented, "Wow! There are still gentlemen in this world!"

I said, "Commonly known as old farts."

She said, "You just might be right!"

Phil Hobbs

Feb 16, 2013, 1:07:30 PM2/16/13
Imperial gallons make much more sense than US gallons--one gallon of
water weighs exactly 10 pounds.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

SoothSayer

Feb 16, 2013, 1:28:01 PM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:15:48 +0000, Syd Rumpo <use...@nononono.co.uk>
wrote:

Cool. Thanks.

qrk

Feb 16, 2013, 1:31:17 PM2/16/13
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:06:24 -0800, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid>
wrote:

When gas hit $1.00 per gallon in Hawaii, they converted to liters.
This is the days of mechanical displays. Hawaii stuck to liters for
quite awhile (perhaps in to the 90s) until the Federal gov stepped in
and forced them to back to gallons. So much for the transition to
metric.

SoothSayer

Feb 16, 2013, 1:31:59 PM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:07:30 -0500, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>On 2/16/2013 12:36 PM, Tauno Voipio wrote:
>> On 16.2.13 5:56 , John Larkin wrote:
>>>
>>> The US public rarely does any math that involves unit conversions. Two
>>> cups of
>>> flour is easily doubled to four cups for a double batch. Feet and
>>> square feet is
>>> about the most math that most people do. Imperial units work fine in
>>> daily life.
>>>

>> Like the imperial gallon?
>>

>Imperial gallons make much more sense than US gallons--one gallon of
>water weighs exactly 10 pounds.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

A wine barrel is 32 gallons (probably US), an oil barrel is 42 gallons
(probably Imperial?).

What the heck is the 55 gallon drum (barrel) (probably US) for?

SoothSayer

Feb 16, 2013, 1:38:04 PM2/16/13
Too many complaining vacationers pissed off at being too stupid to
perform the conversion(s)?

Of course they didn't know that the reason they were pissed off is
because they were too stupid to perform even a relatively simple
'guesstimated' conversion. Pissed at themselves subconsciously, they
complain about it, and eventually some asshole in government who gets
paid way too much for way too little, comes along and makes it appear as
if he is putting things in order.

I think all the station owners should boycott the forced return, and go
back to their metric, liter displayed dispensing pumps.

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 16, 2013, 1:57:57 PM2/16/13
Some stations had to switch to half gallon prices, till the old pumps
could be replaced. Some could have new gearboxes installed, others were
too old. It was kind of sad to see a well maintained classic old gas
station with brand new chrome pumps.

asdf

Feb 16, 2013, 1:59:58 PM2/16/13
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:06:24 -0800, cameo wrote:

> Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
> when the metric system is so much simpler? Much of the rest of the
> industrialized world is already on the metric system and not following
> their lead just impedes international commerce.

Or worse.

<http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2010/11/1110mars-climate-observer-
report/>

Joerg

Feb 16, 2013, 2:10:02 PM2/16/13
John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:06:24 -0800, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>> some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>> a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>> now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>>
>> Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
>> when the metric system is so much simpler?
>
> The US public rarely does any math that involves unit conversions. Two cups of
> flour is easily doubled to four cups for a double batch. Feet and square feet is
> about the most math that most people do. Imperial units work fine in daily life.
>
> We do all our engineering calculations in SI units, except packaging and PCB
> layout, which is still decimal inches. What's shocking is that any engineering
> would still be done in imperial units, but apparently a lot is.

In some engineering fields nearly all of it is done in imperial units.
Aerospace, for example. This is also accepted by overseas customers.

http://www.pw.utc.com/Content/PW2000_Engine/pdf/B-1-5_commercial_pw2000.pdf

Even Europeans use imperial units:

http://www.rolls-royce.com/Images/Trent%20XWB_tcm92-5753.pdf

Quote "The engine will be available with a thrust of up to 97,000lb".

A challenge is when there is a meeting with university folks as I had
one this week. Everything is metric there. Metric does have a lot of
advantages. A disadvantage is the constant changes in the system.
Pressure was defined in torr, then in atmosphere, then in bars, and then
in hektopascals which have a 1e5 relationship to everything else. Not
1e3 or 1e6 but 1e5. In school they really threw us a curve by notorious
changes. Kilogramm-Force, Kilopond, and when that fell from grace
Newton. It's nuts. One reason why people here in the US cling to
imperial is that stuff deson't change all the time.

So I have a cheat sheet in my desk for European stuff :-)

Frnak McKenney

Feb 16, 2013, 2:15:45 PM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:17:29 +0200, Tauno Voipio <tauno....@notused.fi.invalid> wrote:
Well, let's say that Americans tend to be a bit... cautious about
going along with something simply because a legislature somewhere
adopted it. And for good reason: "Prohibition" made it all the way to
being a Constitutional Amendment, for example, and there have been
various successful and unsuccessful attempts to require and/or
prohibit the teaching of Evolution. But perhaps the most memorable
example is this one:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/805/did-a-state-legislature-once-pass-a-law-saying-pi-equals-3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill

Frank
--
Looking back now, I think I can understand the basic reason why we
had to move so slowly. In a democracy, a mere majority is not a

The majority had to be so strong and so determined that the will
of the country was unmistakable to every citizen regardless of his
own views. To have acted suddenly without thorough discussion
might have left a dangerous cleavage among the American people at a
time when unity among us was more important than ever before.
Days and weeks of open debate were needed before there was that
solid basis of unity in the minds and hearts of the people
necessary for the momentous step we were about to take.

This is not the method by which a dictator builds an army for
aggression. But it is the method by which the people of a
freedom-loving nation unite behind their leaders to defend
themselves against dictators, and eventually to create the
overwhelming power necessary to crush them.

-- Edward R. Stettinius / Lend-Lease: Weapon for Victory (1944)
--
Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887

SoothSayer

Feb 16, 2013, 2:50:01 PM2/16/13
Learn how to post links correctly in Usenet.

cameo

Feb 16, 2013, 2:53:30 PM2/16/13
On 2/16/2013 11:10 AM, Joerg wrote:

> In some engineering fields nearly all of it is done in imperial units.
> Aerospace, for example. This is also accepted by overseas customers.
>
> http://www.pw.utc.com/Content/PW2000_Engine/pdf/B-1-5_commercial_pw2000.pdf
>
> Even Europeans use imperial units:
>
> http://www.rolls-royce.com/Images/Trent%20XWB_tcm92-5753.pdf
>
> Quote "The engine will be available with a thrust of up to 97,000lb".
>
> A challenge is when there is a meeting with university folks as I had
> one this week. Everything is metric there. Metric does have a lot of
> advantages. A disadvantage is the constant changes in the system.
> Pressure was defined in torr, then in atmosphere, then in bars, and then
> in hektopascals which have a 1e5 relationship to everything else. Not
> 1e3 or 1e6 but 1e5. In school they really threw us a curve by notorious
> changes. Kilogramm-Force, Kilopond, and when that fell from grace
> Newton. It's nuts. One reason why people here in the US cling to
> imperial is that stuff deson't change all the time.
>
> So I have a cheat sheet in my desk for European stuff :-)

Well, it's true that the US is already partially on the metric system,
but many metric measurements are also used with traditional English
units. This dual system can sometimes be a bigger problem than using
only one of them. A case in point is the famous crash landing of Air
Canada's first Boeing 767 plane, Flight 143 in 1983. The case is
referred as the "Gimly Glider" in aviation history and there was even a
good TV movie ("Falling from the Sky: Flight 174") made of it in 1995
with William Dewane playing the captain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Gib Bogle

Feb 16, 2013, 2:55:29 PM2/16/13
On 17/02/2013 3:56 a.m., MrTallyman wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:06:24 -0800, retardeo <reta...@unreal.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>> some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>> a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>> now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>
> Can you really be that stupid?

Seek help.

cameo

Feb 16, 2013, 2:57:58 PM2/16/13
On 2/16/2013 10:31 AM, qrk wrote:
> When gas hit $1.00 per gallon in Hawaii, they converted to liters.
> This is the days of mechanical displays. Hawaii stuck to liters for
> quite awhile (perhaps in to the 90s) until the Federal gov stepped in
> and forced them to back to gallons. So much for the transition to
> metric.

Probably because many vacationers complained that metric was very
unamerican? ;-)

UltimatePatriot

Feb 16, 2013, 2:57:33 PM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:15:45 -0600, Frnak McKenney
<fr...@far.from.the.madding.crowd.com> wrote:

> In a democracy, a mere majority is not a
> sufficient foundation when drastic and far-reaching action is
> necessary to protect the nation in time of peril.

How profound. Would you like to become my running mate in 2016?

I have a wall and a few prisons to build long our southern border, and
some nationwide police ranks to clean up. We can "send them down to the
wall to serve" similar to being sent to Alaska after a fuck up in the
service. Let the fuck up cops perform duty as guards at the new prisons.

Then, we can start making these violent little bastards actually sere
their bit, instead of skating due to overcrowding and utter stupidity of
the current tax dollar embezzling bastards running things.

Joerg

Feb 16, 2013, 3:00:40 PM2/16/13
Up north they at least still have the 70's pumps in service:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattledailyphoto/416984863/

Some are along Route 66:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/marcofedele/5502659751/

cameo

Feb 16, 2013, 3:02:23 PM2/16/13
Oh no! Virtually the same problem that caused Air Canada's Flight 143
near-disaster in the '80s.

Spehro Pefhany

Feb 16, 2013, 3:08:02 PM2/16/13
There once was a time when currencies were so stable they engraved
postage rates into the postal scales.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Phil Hobbs

Feb 16, 2013, 3:11:46 PM2/16/13
On 2/16/2013 2:15 PM, Frnak McKenney wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:17:29 +0200, Tauno Voipio <tauno....@notused.fi.invalid> wrote:
>> On 16.2.13 6:06 , cameo wrote:
>>> I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>>> some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>>> a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>>> now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>>>
>>> Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
>>> when the metric system is so much simpler? Much of the rest of the
>>> industrialized world is already on the metric system and not following
>>> their lead just impedes international commerce.
>
>> The Americans are just a bit slow to apply the decisions of the
>> Congress: in 1866, the metric system was officially mandated.
>
> Well, let's say that Americans tend to be a bit... cautious about
> going along with something simply because a legislature somewhere
> adopted it. And for good reason: "Prohibition" made it all the way to
> being a Constitutional Amendment, for example, and there have been
> various successful and unsuccessful attempts to require and/or
> prohibit the teaching of Evolution. But perhaps the most memorable
> example is this one:
>
> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/805/did-a-state-legislature-once-pass-a-law-saying-pi-equals-3
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill
>

> Frank

The reason they didn't stick with it was that all the wheels in Indiana
suddenly turned hexagonal.

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 16, 2013, 3:21:03 PM2/16/13
See what unstable leaders do to the economy?

One station still had one of those manual pumps where you pumped a
gallon into it, then let it pour into the tank. They had other pumps
for cars but it was set up for regular gas, and people used it to fill
their 1 gallon can for their mower. :)

I loved those W.W. II style pumps that all disappeared from stations
in the '70s.

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 16, 2013, 3:24:03 PM2/16/13

Phil Hobbs wrote:

> The reason they didn't stick with it was that all the wheels in Indiana
> suddenly turned hexagonal.

It wasn't suddenly, they just finally admitted to it. Alaska is
still "The land of the square tire." You had to drive at least five
miles each time, to knock the corners off. :)

Phil Hobbs

Feb 16, 2013, 3:24:33 PM2/16/13
That was back when dirty gas was a real danger--you could have a look at
what you were putting in your tank.

I still don't buy gas from brand-X gas stations if I can possibly avoid it.

Phil Hobbs

Feb 16, 2013, 3:25:37 PM2/16/13
Alaskans are like Texans, only more so.

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 16, 2013, 3:27:24 PM2/16/13
Hard not to deal with them around here. Almost all are pumps at
convenience stores. I generally deal with one of the oldest independant
stations in the area. It's been there for about 60 years.

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 16, 2013, 3:32:03 PM2/16/13

Phil Hobbs wrote:

> On 2/16/2013 3:24 PM, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
> >
> > Phil Hobbs wrote:
> >>
> >> The reason they didn't stick with it was that all the wheels in Indiana
> >> suddenly turned hexagonal.
> >

> > It wasn't suddenly, they just finally admitted to it. Alaska is
> > still "The land of the square tire." You had to drive at least five
> > miles each time, to knock the corners off. :)
>
> Alaskans are like Texans, only more so.

Nylon cord tires would freeze with a flat spot if they sat very
long. Steel belted radials mostly eliminated the problem. One guy in
my company had his old VW bug there and it beat the crap out of you till
the rubber & nylon thawed out. All the Army trucks were the newer tires
and were a little rough for a few miles.

It was a real problem for decades. Now, it's just an inside joke.

Alaska is bigger than Texas, and they just can't handle being second.
:)

Spehro Pefhany

Feb 16, 2013, 3:38:10 PM2/16/13
You could break Alaska into two and make Texas the third largest U.S.
state.

k...@attt.bizz

Feb 16, 2013, 5:06:20 PM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:50:25 +0000, Pomegranate Bastard
<pom...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:56:07 -0800, MrTallyman
><MrTal...@BananaCountersRUs.org> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:06:24 -0800, retardeo <reta...@unreal.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>>>some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>>>a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>>>now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>>
>> Can you really be that stupid?
>>Metric conversion DID occur, idiot. Examine ANY CAD package. Look at
>>ALL Us CAR makers and ALL US AIRCRAFT makers. You know, that place where
>>MOST of the world buys all their passenger planes.
>>>
>>>Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
>>
>> It isn't the public. It is parents and educators. Learn to point your
>>finger ONLY when you are correct, asshole. Then learn WHERE to point it.
>>I really can't believe that your blinders are adjusted so tightly that
>>you cannot see. Oh wait... they are not blinders, you are simply too
>>goddamned retarded to make valid observations about any fucking thing but
>>how to wipe your own ass.
>>
>>>when the metric system is so much simpler?
>>
>> Like you?
>>
>>> Much of the rest of the
>>>industrialized world is already on the metric system
>>
>> So is the US, you total fucking retard.
>>
>>> and not following
>>>their lead just impedes international commerce.
>>
>> You are only about as retarded as a person claiming to be educated in a
>>modern world can get. You are worse than a Windows lover retard trolling
>>a Linux group.
>>
>> Fuck off And DIE, US hating TROLL FUCK!
>>
>> Change your nym to retardeo, boy.
>
>Oh dear Nymbecile. Have you tried lying down in darkened room?

Every room he walks into darkens considerably.

David Lesher

Feb 16, 2013, 7:24:34 PM2/16/13
cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> writes:

>I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>now, not much came out of that initial excitement.

AFAIK, all Detroit iron is now metric.

David Lesher

Feb 16, 2013, 7:25:39 PM2/16/13
Joerg <inv...@invalid.invalid> writes:

>Surprised? Some of my work is in aerospace. There it's all inches,
>pounds, PSI, slugs, knots, feet and so on. To some extent that is even
>so in the medical device industry. The topper:

Which is why the International Space Station is half-metric, half SAE.

David Lesher

Feb 16, 2013, 7:29:29 PM2/16/13
SoothSayer <SayS...@TheMonastery.org> writes:

> A wine barrel is 32 gallons (probably US), an oil barrel is 42 gallons
>(probably Imperial?).

> What the heck is the 55 gallon drum (barrel) (probably US) for?

The 42 is what's left by the time the wagon with the open 55
gallon filled by Drake got to the market....

Joerg

Feb 16, 2013, 7:31:48 PM2/16/13
David Lesher wrote:
> cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> writes:
>
>> I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>> some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>> a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>> now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>
> AFAIK, all Detroit iron is now metric.

Doesn't look metric to me:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-car-buying/chevrolet/suburban/specifications/
http://www.gmc.com/sierra-1500-pickup-truck/features-specs/dimensions.html

David Lesher

Feb 16, 2013, 7:33:25 PM2/16/13
The one I hate is HVAC "tons" and BTU's. What's even worse is
the yellow tag that talks BTUs, hours and kilowatts to express
efficiency.

Damn it, it's kilowatts out/kilowatts in, period.

SoothSayer

Feb 16, 2013, 7:57:37 PM2/16/13
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:24:34 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher <wb8...@panix.com>
wrote:

>cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> writes:
>
>>I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
>>some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
>>a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
>>now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>
>AFAIK, all Detroit iron is now metric.

This is a fact and has been since the 80' at he latest.

SoothSayer

Feb 16, 2013, 8:01:49 PM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:31:48 -0800, Joerg <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Again, idiot... this goes more toward individual Americans and the
"average" a car company thinks their demographic carries.

Now, idiot... go try to find ANY American engine that uses an SAE head
bolt or any other fastener on the engine.

ALL of the engines, transmissions, and other drive train components are
metric and have been for decades.

SoothSayer

Feb 16, 2013, 8:06:11 PM2/16/13
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:33:25 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher <wb8...@panix.com>
wrote:

>The one I hate is HVAC "tons" and BTU's. What's even worse is
>the yellow tag that talks BTUs, hours and kilowatts to express
>efficiency.
>
>Damn it, it's kilowatts out/kilowatts in, period.

That is electrical efficiency. Thermal efficiency is another animal.

So, a declared value for any competition should reflect electrical
consumption *for a given BTU unit output figure*.

Like 10k BTU appliances.

Or 30k BTU appliances.

That chart would allow for a comparison, and *that* observation would
allow one to assign an "efficiency" number to the industry product line.

I am sure that a big tonnage unit would perform better than a smaller
one on a thermal efficiency view.

who where

Feb 16, 2013, 8:37:07 PM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 07:56:18 -0800, John Larkin
<jjla...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>The US public rarely does any math that involves unit conversions. Two cups of
>flour is easily doubled to four cups for a double batch. Feet and square feet is
>about the most math that most people do. Imperial units work fine in daily life.

Snort! Over in microsoft.public.excel.misc there seems to be a steady
stream of enquiries about how to enter feet and inches ("NOT metric
feet!") into a cell for calculations.

Jon Elson

Feb 16, 2013, 8:37:51 PM2/16/13
Joerg wrote:

> Many catheter datasheet have the length in Centimeters, most of the rest
> in imperial units, and the diameter in French (!).
French diameter is just the circumference in mm. it is
a lot easier to check by wrapping a tape measure around
the tube that getting a caliper.

Jon

k...@attt.bizz

Feb 16, 2013, 8:46:43 PM2/16/13
<wb8...@panix.com> wrote:

>The one I hate is HVAC "tons" and BTU's. What's even worse is
>the yellow tag that talks BTUs, hours and kilowatts to express
>efficiency.
>
>Damn it, it's kilowatts out/kilowatts in, period.

I bet you lose sleep over things like SEER (BTUh/W).

k...@attt.bizz

Feb 16, 2013, 8:54:02 PM2/16/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:06:11 -0800, SoothSayer
<SayS...@TheMonastery.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:33:25 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher <wb8...@panix.com>
>wrote:
>
>>The one I hate is HVAC "tons" and BTU's. What's even worse is
>>the yellow tag that talks BTUs, hours and kilowatts to express
>>efficiency.
>>
>>Damn it, it's kilowatts out/kilowatts in, period.
>

> That is electrical efficiency. Thermal efficiency is another animal.

Wrong again, AlwaysWrong. kW is a thermal measure, too. A watt is
3.4 BTU.

> So, a declared value for any competition should reflect electrical
>consumption *for a given BTU unit output figure*.
>
> Like 10k BTU appliances.

That would be a 34kW appliance.

> Or 30k BTU appliances.

100kW appliance.

> That chart would allow for a comparison, and *that* observation would
>allow one to assign an "efficiency" number to the industry product line.

SEER is just such an efficiency number. SEER is defined as the number
of BTUs transferred per watt. Despite the bastard units, it works.

> I am sure that a big tonnage unit would perform better than a smaller
>one on a thermal efficiency view.

Good grief. There is no such correspondence. You can find high, and
low, SEER ACs in all sizes.

rickman

Feb 16, 2013, 9:10:10 PM2/16/13
On 2/16/2013 1:06 AM, Tim Williams wrote:
> I use metric frequently in my work, but apparently metric fasteners are
> still a few cents more expensive than standard over here, so there's still
> economic pressure, however slight, to continue using them.
>
> Metric is kind of nice because you can "make your own" when it comes to
> magic sizes and stuff. Sometimes you want, say, a plate that's 1/4 or
> 3/8" thick, but it just doesn't look quite right -- visually appealing.
> Instead, you could specify 5, 7.5, 10, etc. mm thickness, or other odd
> values, assuming it's in stock of course -- and potentially get more
> elegant proportions and whatnot. This is analogous to working in
> conventional vs. Exx series R/L/C component values: some ratios are easy
> to get (factor of 2 = 1k:2k vs. 1k:2.2k off by 10%), others not so much.
> On further analysis, one would probably find it's a wash, in the end.
>
> Insert usual blurb about the inch technically being metric (i.e., so
> effing what, specify 6.35mm bolts instead).

That reminds me of when I worked as a contractor under government
supervision. They had a rule that all purchases were to be in metric
unless you provided a written justification for why you couldn't find it
in metric. I ordered a PC-104 board and hadn't filled out the metric
exception form and was told to do it. When I replied that the board
*was* metric they almost fell over. I guess no one had bought anything
that *actually* was metric! Well, it was sort of. They had dimensions
in both units and never were exact round numbers, so it was a wash...

--

Rick

cameo

Feb 16, 2013, 9:54:52 PM2/16/13
The other day I was cleaning out my garage and found a bunch of
non-metric wrenches and I was wondering if should get rid off them. So I
asked my mechanic if there were still cars coming out that needed the
non-metric tools. He said all cars he had seen lately were designed with
metric nuts and bolts. Well, at least that's a progress. But then, there
are still those non-metric dimensions as your links show because they
are probably aimed more for the public than engineers and mechanics.

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 16, 2013, 10:32:54 PM2/16/13

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:32:03 -0500, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> >Phil Hobbs wrote:

> >> Alaskans are like Texans, only more so.
> >

> > Nylon cord tires would freeze with a flat spot if they sat very
> >long. Steel belted radials mostly eliminated the problem. One guy in
> >my company had his old VW bug there and it beat the crap out of you till
> >the rubber & nylon thawed out. All the Army trucks were the newer tires
> >and were a little rough for a few miles.
> >
> > It was a real problem for decades. Now, it's just an inside joke.
> >
> > Alaska is bigger than Texas, and they just can't handle being second.
> >:)
>
> You could break Alaska into two and make Texas the third largest U.S.
> state.

Only if it was a very clean break. All that ice breaks where it
wants to. ;-)

Robert Baer

Feb 16, 2013, 11:09:39 PM2/16/13
cameo wrote:
> I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
> some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
> a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
> now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>
> Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
> when the metric system is so much simpler? Much of the rest of the
> industrialized world is already on the metric system and not following
> their lead just impedes international commerce.
That "push" was the _second_ time / attempt.

David Lesher

Feb 17, 2013, 12:00:50 AM2/17/13
I get all hot and bothered....

SoothSayer

Feb 17, 2013, 12:19:56 AM2/17/13
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:29:29 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher <wb8...@panix.com>
wrote:

>SoothSayer <SayS...@TheMonastery.org> writes:
>

>> A wine barrel is 32 gallons (probably US), an oil barrel is 42 gallons
>>(probably Imperial?).
>
>> What the heck is the 55 gallon drum (barrel) (probably US) for?
>
>The 42 is what's left by the time the wagon with the open 55
>gallon filled by Drake got to the market....

Actually, barrels made for long haul shipping were made with thicker
staves.

You should like this, because it show that I am not all stuck on the
US.

This page has some good facts. There are many others.

http://www.bruichladdich.com/library/whisky-casks-and-oak/whisky-casks-barrels-sizes

Feb 17, 2013, 12:57:31 AM2/17/13
In article <V7CdnYTadubhA4LM...@earthlink.com>,
rick...@earthlink.net says...
> The FCC uses the metric system. I have a km/h scale on my speedometer.

They do and they don't. Sure the bands for amateur radio are all based
on metric (meters/centimeters - for example my radio does 6m, 1.25m, 2m
and 70cm bands. )

Spehro Pefhany

Feb 17, 2013, 1:00:37 AM2/17/13
I still have old stuff that SAE wrenches are good for, but everything
on cars seems to be metric these days with few exceptions. Some
dimensions in that Chevy are obviously hard metric (the bore and
stroke size of the smaller engine is 96/92mm). The larger engine is
mixed.. metric stroke and 4" bore.

It's a hassle to design solely in mm when tool and material sources
are largely from the US or made for US customers. More digits to enter
when machining* because Imperial tools are more available and cheaper,
less availability and sometimes higher cost of things like reamers,
etc. I don't mind 6-32 screws, for example, provided they make them
for me with Phillips heads (or Robertson or Torx). Flat blade
fasteners- ugh. The coarser thread compared to metric standard zips in
faster with the electric screwdriver.

Do any Euro socket sets use mm drives? All my tools use 1/4, 3/8, and
1/2" drives. It would be a total PITA if there were 6mm/10mm/12mm
drive sets (assuming they exist) in the same work area.

* For example, the standard edge finder I can buy easily/cheaply has a
0.2" diameter, so the offset is 0.1" from the edge of the work. (also
0.5" diamter). I can get metric end mills, but 0.25" diameter is
cheaper than 6mm. I can set the DRO to metric, but I'll have to offset
it by 2.54mm to get the edge, and 3.175mm to offset the tool radius.
vs. 0.1" and 0.125".

Sylvia Else

Feb 17, 2013, 2:42:33 AM2/17/13
On 17/02/2013 2:56 AM, John Larkin wrote:

> The US public rarely does any math that involves unit conversions. Two cups of
> flour is easily doubled to four cups for a double batch. Feet and square feet is
> about the most math that most people do. Imperial units work fine in daily life.

Here in Australia, where we've gone all metric already, I'm still
struggling with the concept of a metric pinch of salt.

Sylvia.

Jasen Betts

Feb 17, 2013, 2:55:10 AM2/17/13
> Do any Euro socket sets use mm drives? All my tools use 1/4, 3/8, and
> 1/2" drives. It would be a total PITA if there were 6mm/10mm/12mm
> drive sets (assuming they exist) in the same work area.

sockets also come in 3/4" and 1" for larger problems.

I don't think metric sockets exist, although I did see some odd-ball
sockets with a hex drive, could have been 15mm or 1/2" - I didn't
investigate closely.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

MrTallyman

Feb 17, 2013, 3:10:51 AM2/17/13
Has to do with how we generally describe the speed of light, and with
radio frequency wavelength.

MrTallyman

Feb 17, 2013, 3:19:54 AM2/17/13
Vacuum tube socket layouts are now given in metric these days, but the
old US values are always on a fraction-of-an-inch figure, and often
included with the metric figure.

John Larkin

upsid...@downunder.com

Feb 17, 2013, 4:57:01 AM2/17/13
The speed of light is about 1.8E12 furlongs per fortnight :-).

John S

Feb 17, 2013, 9:26:52 AM2/17/13
And, it's no longer inch worm but 2.54 centimeter worm?

Lord Valve

Feb 17, 2013, 10:21:51 AM2/17/13
cameo wrote:

> I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
> some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
> a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
> now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>
> Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
> when the metric system is so much simpler? Much of the rest of the
> industrialized world is already on the metric system and not following
> their lead just impedes international commerce.

Time for some Golden Oldies:

From April 10, 2001 -

Lord Valve Speaketh:

The metric system, which was based on an arbitrary
measurement (one ten-millionth of the distance from
the equator to the North Pole along the longitude
line which runs near Dunkerque, France, or somesuch
nonsense) to begin with, is not inherently more precise
or accurate than any other system. The fact that the
international standard for the meter is now specified
as a certain number of wavelengths of a specific
frequency of light, or as the distance light travels
in 1/299,792,458 of a second,

[flash forward to today - I should have mentioned that
the second is also an arbitrary unit, no matter how
finely we can slice it with modern equipment...]

doesn't occlude the fact
that its genesis was as entirely arbitrary as the Old
English standard for the inch, which was "three barley-
corns, hard and dry." Its confusing array of suffixes
and prefixes is not easily memorized. And, contrary to
the general European perception, Americans are not
intimidated by it. It is taught in American schools.
I am equally comfortable with either system, which puts
me considerably ahead of most Europeans. I *prefer* to
buy my milk by the quart, my steak by the pound, and my
gasoline by the gallon. For eyeball purposes, the English
system beats the crap out of the metric system. In fact,
the only thing I can see about the metric system which
would make it more desirable than the English system is
that pecker-length sounds more impressive in centimeters.
This may have been the deciding factor for the French, who
invented it. I am, however, fond of using the phrase
"a metric shitload."

I think the entire world should convert to the Whitworth
system anyway. ;-)

Lord Valve

I specialize in top quality HAND SELECTED NOS and
current-production vacuum tubes for guitar and
bass amps. Good prices, fast service.

NBS Electronics, 230 South Broadway, Denver, CO 80209-1510
Phone orders/tech support after 1:30 PM Denver time at 303-778-1156

VISA - MASTERCARD

"I'm not an asshole, but I *play* one on the Internet." - Lord Valve

And this, from later in the same thread:

April 10, 2001

k Harriss wrote:
>Isn't the Imperial system used by such
>technically advanced nations such as Uganda??.
>The proof of a systems validity is who uses it,
>most scientists worldwide prefer to work in
>metric units as it's a lot more useful.

I don't recall where I said differently.
However, it's still a preference, and
still arbitrary. Science can be done
with any measurement system.

>I'd also like to point out American money
>is a decimal currency, if Imperial was so good
>you'd all be counting cash in guineas, pounds,
>crowns, schillings and pennies.

An excellent and interesting system, with
broad historical traditions. And that's
"shillings." (Accuracy, wot?)

>Finally not even the British who
>originated the Imperial system use it anymore
>with it's little gems like alcohol proof: 57%
>is 100 English proof at which point alcohol
>burns with a blue flame when mixed with
>gunpowder. You'd have to be drunk to be mixing
>alcohol with gunpowder and setting fire to it!!!

Ah, my very point...these things are *far*
more interesting than the dry, boring metric
shit...kilo-deci-centi-wank-wank-wank...bah!
Give me spans, fathoms, furlongs, leagues,
cubits, chaldrons, firkins, hogsheads! Pipes,
poles, puncheons and roods! Kilderkins and
knots! Ells, chains, hands and nails! Manly
measures for manly men! These are the things
of legend...the metric system is good for
little more than scaring children or putting
oneself to sleep. I resist the inroads the
colorless metric crap has made; give 'em
2.54 centimeters and they'll take 1.609
kilometers! (Barf.) 28.35 grams of prevention
are worth 0.454 kilograms of cure, I always
say. That's my story an' I'm a-stickin' to it.

Lord Valve

I specialize in top quality HAND SELECTED NOS and
current-production vacuum tubes for guitar and
bass amps. Good prices, fast service.

NBS Electronics, 230 South Broadway, Denver, CO 80209-1510
Phone orders/tech support after 1:30 PM Denver time at 303-778-1156

VISA - MASTERCARD

"Ninety percent of everything is CRAP." - Sturgeon's Law

So there! ;-)

Lord Valve
Old

Joerg

Feb 17, 2013, 10:34:49 AM2/17/13
Depends on the vehicle. IIRC a 9/16" socket wrench was needed to swap
some sort of stepper motor in a GMC Envoy. Wasn't very old, maybe 6-7 years.

Joerg

Feb 17, 2013, 10:39:35 AM2/17/13
And Scotland Yard is now Scotland Meter :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

MrTallyman

Feb 17, 2013, 11:04:15 AM2/17/13
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 07:34:49 -0800, Joerg <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
You're an idiot... quite old... Probably all your life.

More likely a 14mm.

So, you are too stupid to know (obviously)that some of the values match
up closely enough to substitute for each other.

US vehicles are metric. That includes General Motors Corporation, you
fucking idiot.

Bungalow Bill

Feb 17, 2013, 11:32:35 AM2/17/13
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 07:39:35 -0800, Joerg <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>And Scotland Yard is now Scotland Meter :-)

You gonna go out in your back meter and play now, child?

k...@attt.bizz

Feb 17, 2013, 12:13:02 PM2/17/13
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 07:39:35 -0800, Joerg <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

No, Scotland .9144 Meter. Give the French 2.54cm and they'll take
1.60934440m.

k...@attt.bizz

Feb 17, 2013, 12:19:48 PM2/17/13
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 01:00:37 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
<spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

I have 100mm, 200mm, and 300mm Crescent wrenches. Actually, they're
both metric and English. If you're fastening metric bolts it's 200mm
wrench. If you're fastening imperial bolts you flip it over and it's
8". ;-)

>* For example, the standard edge finder I can buy easily/cheaply has a
>0.2" diameter, so the offset is 0.1" from the edge of the work. (also
>0.5" diamter). I can get metric end mills, but 0.25" diameter is
>cheaper than 6mm. I can set the DRO to metric, but I'll have to offset
>it by 2.54mm to get the edge, and 3.175mm to offset the tool radius.
>vs. 0.1" and 0.125".

Woodworking tools are showing up both ways, now. In fact I'm finding
it easier to buy metric than imperial drill bits. One of my circular
saws is all metric. If I didn't have a huge investment in imperial
measurement and cutting tools, I'd probably switch.

Joerg

Feb 17, 2013, 12:36:21 PM2/17/13
Nah, the French have their own size system. Apres tout, la France est le
centre de l'univers:

http://ionmycatheters.com/blog/catheter-french-scale-sizes/

Syd Rumpo

Feb 17, 2013, 12:40:52 PM2/17/13
On 17/02/2013 15:21, Lord Valve wrote:

<snip>

> doesn't occlude the fact
> that its genesis was as entirely arbitrary as the Old
> English standard for the inch, which was "three barley-
> corns, hard and dry."

Barleycorns are still in common use in the UK, although few realise that
when they buy shoes. In the US too, I just read!

Cheers
--
Syd

Joerg

Feb 17, 2013, 12:42:56 PM2/17/13
At the helicopter airport for Northsea oil rig flights in Aberdeen they
asked me how many stones I weigh. No kidding.

Joerg

Feb 17, 2013, 12:44:24 PM2/17/13
Jon Elson wrote:
> Joerg wrote:
>

>> Many catheter datasheet have the length in Centimeters, most of the rest
>> in imperial units, and the diameter in French (!).
> French diameter is just the circumference in mm. it is
> a lot easier to check by wrapping a tape measure around
> the tube that getting a caliper.

Nope, it's the diameter in millimeters multiplied by three. Has nothing
to do with Pi.

Bungalow Bill

Feb 17, 2013, 1:12:43 PM2/17/13
Ha. You achieved humor. Amazing.

Syd Rumpo

Feb 17, 2013, 1:17:37 PM2/17/13
Yes, I'm a pretty metric sort of guy, but my weight is in stones, not
kilos. That would be pretty normal here: I don't know at what
approximate age it changes.

The imperial system evolved at a time before weights and measures
legislation when you didn't have, say, 14 pounds in a stone, because
pounds and stones were used for weighing different things:
application-specific units if you like.

Butter in pounds, spuds (and people) in stones, coal in hundredweight,
and so on. An ounce of gold weighs more than an ounce of feathers,
because gold uses troy ounces and feathers would use avoirdupois ounces.

Cheers
--
Syd

Joerg

Feb 17, 2013, 1:32:13 PM2/17/13
What can drive European visitors crazy over here in America is when we
use the expression "baker's dozen" which is 13 pieces instead of 12. In
very rare circumstances it can also be 14 :-)

mike

Feb 17, 2013, 1:41:59 PM2/17/13
On 2/15/2013 8:06 PM, cameo wrote:
> I seem to remember that a few dacades ago (maybe in the '70s) there was
> some kind of federal push to convert the country to the metric system by
> a certain date that is already in the past. As it's painfully obvious by
> now, not much came out of that initial excitement.
>
> Why do you think it is that the US public so resistant to such a change
> when the metric system is so much simpler? Much of the rest of the
> industrialized world is already on the metric system and not following
> their lead just impedes international commerce.

When's the last time you bought something made in america?
Stuff is already metric.

Mark Zenier

Feb 16, 2013, 10:28:06 PM2/16/13
In article <511FEB41...@electrooptical.net>,
Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>On 2/16/2013 3:24 PM, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
>>
>> Phil Hobbs wrote:
>>>
>>> The reason they didn't stick with it was that all the wheels in Indiana
>>> suddenly turned hexagonal.
>>

>> It wasn't suddenly, they just finally admitted to it. Alaska is
>> still "The land of the square tire." You had to drive at least five
>> miles each time, to knock the corners off. :)
>
>Alaskans are like Texans, only more so.

Libertarian Socialists.

"We're living free in the wilderness. Now, where's my damn government
oil check?"

And they often fail to account for the amount of Federal money that went
into the infrastructure that let them move up there in the first place.

My favorite story: an Alaskan out somewhere on the Yukon River Delta
wanted to build a house and found the cheapest way to get the building
materials there was parcel post. So he mailed all of his concrete blocks
and stuff, making the postal service rent a barge at a cost of some tens of
thousands of dollar.

Mark Zenier mze...@eskimo.com

Archimedes' Lever

Feb 17, 2013, 1:54:51 PM2/17/13
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 18:17:37 +0000, Syd Rumpo <use...@nononono.co.uk>
wrote:
Dropped at the same time from the same height, which would hit the
surface of the moon first?

With one dropped on the near side center, and the other dropped on the
far side center?

Syd Rumpo

Feb 17, 2013, 2:13:08 PM2/17/13
On 17/02/2013 18:32, Joerg wrote:

<snip>

> What can drive European visitors crazy over here in America is when we
> use the expression "baker's dozen" which is 13 pieces instead of 12. In
> very rare circumstances it can also be 14 :-)

Yes, we have a "baker's dozen", meaning 13 and it's the sort of thing
you learn at school, but I've never actually seen it used anywhere.

What really drives UK visitors to the states crazy is when you order a
pint of beer. It's not even half a litre. Or beer. <fx: seeks cover>

Cheers
--
Syd

Tauno Voipio

Feb 17, 2013, 2:24:18 PM2/17/13
It is not very far from pounds and guineas (20 and 21 shillings).

--

Tauno Voipio

cameo

Feb 17, 2013, 2:33:49 PM2/17/13
On 2/17/2013 7:34 AM, Joerg wrote:

> Depends on the vehicle. IIRC a 9/16" socket wrench was needed to swap
> some sort of stepper motor in a GMC Envoy. Wasn't very old, maybe 6-7 years.

The only non-metric tool I still use consistently is a 7/16" wrench for
TV cable end-connectors. I guess I could also use an 11 mm metric wrench
which is about the same size. So I'm not even sure if those connector
specs are metric or not.

cameo

Feb 17, 2013, 2:40:40 PM2/17/13
On 2/17/2013 7:21 AM, Lord Valve wrote:
> Time for some Golden Oldies:
>
> From April 10, 2001 -
>
> Lord Valve Speaketh:
>
> The metric system, which was based on an arbitrary
> measurement (one ten-millionth of the distance from
> the equator to the North Pole along the longitude
> line which runs near Dunkerque, France, or somesuch
> nonsense) to begin with, is not inherently more precise
> or accurate than any other system. The fact that the
> international standard for the meter is now specified
> as a certain number of wavelengths of a specific
> frequency of light, or as the distance light travels
> in 1/299,792,458 of a second,
>
> [flash forward to today - I should have mentioned that
> the second is also an arbitrary unit, no matter how
> finely we can slice it with modern equipment...]

Metric system is not just about the unit of measurement, but perhaps
more importantly, about the decimal system that goes with it. That's
what makes it so much simpler IMHO.

Syd Rumpo

Feb 17, 2013, 2:43:57 PM2/17/13
On 17/02/2013 18:54, Archimedes' Lever wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 18:17:37 +0000, Syd Rumpo <use...@nononono.co.uk>
> wrote:

<snip>

>> and so on. An ounce of gold weighs more than an ounce of feathers,
>> because gold uses troy ounces and feathers would use avoirdupois ounces.
>>
>> Cheers
>

> Dropped at the same time from the same height, which would hit the
> surface of the moon first?
>
> With one dropped on the near side center, and the other dropped on the
> far side center?

I don't know. I started to think about it, maybe there's some minute
atmosphere, maybe centrifugal forces are important, but quickly realised
it was either beyond me or would take too long.

I guess height comes into it as well - much too high on the earth side
and it'll go the wrong way.

So what's the answer?

Cheers
--
Syd
Message has been deleted

Spehro Pefhany

Feb 17, 2013, 2:45:17 PM2/17/13
There ought to be a "banker's dozen".. 11 or maybe 10. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

cameo

Feb 17, 2013, 2:45:47 PM2/17/13
On 2/17/2013 10:41 AM, mike wrote:

> When's the last time you bought something made in america?
> Stuff is already metric.

Isn't milk still sold in quarts and gallons? What about gasoline?
It is loading more messages.