How to hold a soldering iron.

Wanderer

Apr 30, 2016, 7:29:57 PM4/30/16

You need to be tough to do really precise soldering.

http://imgur.com/gallery/MNWlZE2

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Apr 30, 2016, 7:55:23 PM4/30/16
Den søndag den 1. maj 2016 kl. 01.29.57 UTC+2 skrev Wanderer:
> You need to be tough to do really precise soldering.
>
> http://imgur.com/gallery/MNWlZE2

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2016/03/twoothers-500.jpg

Jeff Liebermann

Apr 30, 2016, 8:11:53 PM4/30/16
Ouch. My standard joke is that technical competence begins by
learning which end of the soldering iron to grab. Although originally
a joke, that picture makes me wonder if there's some truth to the
joke.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Apr 30, 2016, 9:42:43 PM4/30/16
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 16:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Wanderer
<wand...@dialup4less.com> Gave us:

>You need to be tough to do really precise soldering.
>
>http://imgur.com/gallery/MNWlZE2

No callouses on her hands. They have no time to form with all the
blisters and skin falling off.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Apr 30, 2016, 9:43:24 PM4/30/16
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 16:55:19 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
<lang...@fonz.dk> Gave us:
They must all work for Donald Trump.

John Larkin

Apr 30, 2016, 9:55:41 PM4/30/16
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 16:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Wanderer
Those Radio Shack irons don't get very hot.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin

Apr 30, 2016, 9:56:11 PM4/30/16
The next President?

John Larkin

Apr 30, 2016, 9:56:48 PM4/30/16
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 17:11:53 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 16:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Wanderer
><wand...@dialup4less.com> wrote:
>
>>You need to be tough to do really precise soldering.
>>http://imgur.com/gallery/MNWlZE2
>
>Ouch. My standard joke is that technical competence begins by
>learning which end of the soldering iron to grab. Although originally
>a joke, that picture makes me wonder if there's some truth to the
>joke.

I once dropped an iron and caught it in mid-air. Once.

rickman

May 1, 2016, 12:31:11 AM5/1/16
On 4/30/2016 7:29 PM, Wanderer wrote:

> You need to be tough to do really precise soldering.
>
> http://imgur.com/gallery/MNWlZE2

Wasn't this posted not too long ago?

--

Rick C

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

May 1, 2016, 1:50:38 AM5/1/16
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 18:55:40 -0700, John Larkin
<jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> Gave us:

>On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 16:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Wanderer
><wand...@dialup4less.com> wrote:
>

>>You need to be tough to do really precise soldering.
>>
>>http://imgur.com/gallery/MNWlZE2
>
>Those Radio Shack irons don't get very hot.

Maybe the tips do not, but the element sending heat down to the tip
does.

Piotr Piatek

May 1, 2016, 5:19:38 AM5/1/16
Watch the first 45 seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekoB0Qbe81o

Sylvia Else

May 1, 2016, 5:32:37 AM5/1/16
On 1/05/2016 9:29 AM, Wanderer wrote:

> You need to be tough to do really precise soldering.
>
> http://imgur.com/gallery/MNWlZE2

Cold fusion.

Sylvia.

Sylvia Else

May 1, 2016, 5:33:28 AM5/1/16
On 1/05/2016 9:29 AM, Wanderer wrote:

> You need to be tough to do really precise soldering.
>
> http://imgur.com/gallery/MNWlZE2

When did any soldering task require fewer than three hands?

Sylvia.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

May 1, 2016, 7:37:48 AM5/1/16
On Sun, 1 May 2016 19:33:24 +1000, Sylvia Else
<syl...@not.at.this.address> Gave us:

>When did any soldering task require fewer than three hands?
>
>Sylvia.

There was a girl at a place I worked at who taught me how to hold two
things with one hand. She could sit there and peel away at knitting or
chrochette <sp> all the while carrying on a conversation with the folks
around her.

I attribute some of my dexterous acumen to her.

Stephen Wolstenholme

May 1, 2016, 8:10:15 AM5/1/16
wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 16:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Wanderer
><wand...@dialup4less.com> wrote:
>
>>You need to be tough to do really precise soldering.
>>http://imgur.com/gallery/MNWlZE2
>
>Ouch. My standard joke is that technical competence begins by
>learning which end of the soldering iron to grab. Although originally
>a joke, that picture makes me wonder if there's some truth to the
>joke.

It's not just knowing which end to hold. I worked in a TV factory for
a few years. All the assemble people knew exactly what they were doing
and accidents were almost unknown. The worst one was the TV tester
working next to me. Testers also did small repairs to save time
stopping the production line. The chap next to me was soldering a
loose wire when he stood on the soldering iron cable. That pulled the
iron through his tight grip. In the second it took for him to release
his grip the iron had stuck to his skin so it took just a bit longer
to drop!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

John Larkin

May 1, 2016, 11:36:06 AM5/1/16
I can do two separate tasks with my left and right hands. Lots of
people can't do that; maybe their brain hemispheres are better
connected than mine.

Skill with chopsticks is good training for soldering and such.

Jeff Liebermann

May 1, 2016, 1:22:15 PM5/1/16
On Sun, 01 May 2016 08:36:02 -0700, John Larkin
<jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>Skill with chopsticks is good training for soldering and such.

I never thought of trying eat something with my chopsticks. Mostly, I
use them for test probes and handling small parts:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=spring+loaded+chopsticks&tbm=isch>

Also, I'm sure I've burned myself with a soldering iron, but that was
so long ago, I don't recall the incidents. More recently, I do recall
setting fire to a pile of blueprints that I placed over my soldering
iron. I also don't consider my workbench properly personalized until
I've applied at least one scorch mark with my soldering iron.

Jeff Liebermann

May 1, 2016, 1:32:09 PM5/1/16
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 18:55:40 -0700, John Larkin
<jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 16:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Wanderer
><wand...@dialup4less.com> wrote:
>

>>You need to be tough to do really precise soldering.
>>
>>http://imgur.com/gallery/MNWlZE2

>Those Radio Shack irons don't get very hot.

The iron gets rather hot, but the tip doesn't. There's a reason:
<https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-60w-soldering-iron>
<https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0953/5270/products/06400216_00.jpeg?v=1446834403>
Notice how the tip is held in with a screw threaded in one side.

The idea behind a soldering iron is for the heating element in the
barrel to move as much of the heat towards the tip as possible.
Ideally, the barrel should be fairly cool, while the tip should be as
hot as possible (as limited by a thermostat). Moving the heat out the
end of the ceramic heating element is itself a model of inefficient
thermodynamic design. However, that hasn't stopped Radio Shack from
making it worse by limiting the contact area of the tip. The tip does
NOT fit snuggly into the mating socket in the barrel. There's an air
gap on the side of the mating socket under the screw. There's some
surface contact between the socket and the tip on the opposite side of
the screw, but not much. So, most of the heat is radiated from the
barrel, while very little heat makes it to the tip.

You can probably see the problem with your FLIR IR camera.

John Larkin

May 1, 2016, 1:32:47 PM5/1/16
On Sun, 01 May 2016 10:22:13 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 01 May 2016 08:36:02 -0700, John Larkin
><jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:
>
>>Skill with chopsticks is good training for soldering and such.
>
>I never thought of trying eat something with my chopsticks. Mostly, I
>use them for test probes and handling small parts:
><https://www.google.com/search?q=spring+loaded+chopsticks&tbm=isch>
>
>Also, I'm sure I've burned myself with a soldering iron, but that was
>so long ago, I don't recall the incidents. More recently, I do recall
>setting fire to a pile of blueprints that I placed over my soldering
>iron. I also don't consider my workbench properly personalized until
>I've applied at least one scorch mark with my soldering iron.

My Metcal station has a nice iron holder, keeps stuff from catching
fire. And only the tip of the iron gets super not, not the middle of
the barrel.

My workbench is Ikea, varnished particle board, and it's really tough.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Otis/Bench_Mantis.jpg

John Larkin

May 1, 2016, 3:52:00 PM5/1/16
On Sun, 01 May 2016 10:32:08 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
My FLIR only goes to something like 240C. It's really good for scoping
parts on boards, but not extreme stuff.

Thermostat? Ceramic element? On a Rat Shack iron?

Jeff Liebermann

May 1, 2016, 5:38:52 PM5/1/16
On Sun, 01 May 2016 12:51:56 -0700, John Larkin
Can you put an "optical attenuator" in front of the optics? Something
that partly blocks some far IR, such as a few folded layers of LDPE
black plastic trash bag:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-s3vkj9FLM>
It won't be calibrated, but it will produce a relative temperature
image. If you're worried about blowing up your FLIR camera, try the
trash bags with a cheap IR thermometer first. My guess(tm) is that
the Radio Shock tip will be somewhat cooler than the barrel. It
shouldn't take much attenuation to get from a 300C soldering iron tip,
down to something below 240C.

You can also see something with a near infrared and a filter:
"Near infrared soldering iron"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmR_bvBxi2k>
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/201415635562>

>Thermostat? Ceramic element? On a Rat Shack iron?

Notice that I prefaced that remark with "ideally". Radio Shock
hardware is far from ideal.

John Larkin

May 2, 2016, 2:07:00 PM5/2/16
On Sun, 01 May 2016 14:38:51 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
I'm not worried about a soldering iron damaging the FLIR, although
something really hot might. Ii just saturates somewhere above 200C.

The black trash bag thing might work to extend the range a bit. A few
mils of bag is almost transparent, so the layer count might be tuned.

I'm guessing that a camera-type IR filter won't help, but I'll try it.
Somebody else has the FLIR just now. It's pretty popular.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Doe

May 6, 2016, 2:09:35 PM5/6/16
Persistent troll a.k.a. "AlwaysWrong"...

--
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno <DLU1 DecadentLinuxUser.org> wrote in news:vonaibhcdme9sv83113bemvnsf534eevt9 4ax.com:

> From: DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno <DLU1 DecadentLinuxUser.org>
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Subject: Re: How to hold a soldering iron.
> Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 21:43:13 -0400
>
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 16:55:19 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
> <langwadt fonz.dk> Gave us:

Jasen Betts

May 13, 2016, 7:01:26 AM5/13/16
On 2016-05-01, Piotr Piatek <piot...@pisi.com.pl> wrote:
> Watch the first 45 seconds:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekoB0Qbe81o

hmm, ususual soldering iron.

--
\_(ツ)_

sean....@gmail.com

May 13, 2016, 9:12:14 AM5/13/16
Iron has a high impedance (like a resistor) even at a few kHz due to skin effect being especially pronounced in ferromagnetic materials. Instead of operation a trigger style soldering iron at 50/60 Hz and having high current running everywhere with high losses, take the frequency up to a few kHz. You can use thin wire for the transformer secondary, lossy connections are much less of a problem and all the heat is concentrated where it is needed.