Solutions to 'The Art of Electronics' exercises

Daniel Mandic

Nov 20, 2014, 7:56:21 PM11/20/14
Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?

--
Daniel Mandic

Bill Sloman

Nov 20, 2014, 10:06:43 PM11/20/14
On Friday, 21 November 2014 11:56:21 UTC+11, Daniel Mandic wrote:
> Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
> through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?

Sure. Read the book carefully. Once you have understood what it's telling you, it's easy to work out the solutions to the exercises. If you are silly enough to look for another approach, you may take a while to develop the necessary competence - the book was aimed at Harvard undergraduates, and also works for Cambridge UK undergraduates, who form a similarly select group.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Tim Wescott

Nov 21, 2014, 12:13:20 PM11/21/14
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:06:38 -0800, Bill Sloman wrote:

> On Friday, 21 November 2014 11:56:21 UTC+11, Daniel Mandic wrote:
>> Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
>> through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?
>
> Sure. Read the book carefully. Once you have understood what it's
> telling you, it's easy to work out the solutions to the exercises. If
> you are silly enough to look for another approach, you may take a while
> to develop the necessary competence.

Doing good so far.

Daniel: if you work through a problem and it makes sense to you, then
there's a really good chance you've done it right. If you work through a
problem and you just can't figure out if it's right or not, then feel free
to post questions here.

Don't sneer at an applicable Shaum's Outline or two, either -- they
contain lots of worked problems which you can use if you get stuck.

I've never seen anyone here volunteer to do anyone's homework, and it's
fairly common for one of us to turn down an opportunity with quite
intentionally pointed rudeness. However, there's quite a few people
(myself included) who are quite happy to HELP you with your homework, in a
way that won't give you the solution on a platter, but will perhaps point
you in the direction you need to go.

Just describe the problem (for AoE you may even be able to just cite
edition, chapter, and problem number), and where you're stuck. If where
you're stuck is that you don't have a clue of how to start -- say so.

> - the book was aimed at Harvard
> undergraduates, and also works for Cambridge UK undergraduates, who form
> a similarly select group.

And, since having money, family connections, and the ability to score
highly on the English composition portion of your SAT tests doesn't mean
squat for your ability to figure out electronic circuits, the OP should do
OK.

Now, if it were aimed at WPI or OSU (either one) undergrads, you should
quake in your boots.

And however much us ordinary mortals are supposed to bow and scrape when
we hear the names "Haaahvahd" and "Cambridge", it's still a book for the
Volts for Dolts class.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

ChesterW

Nov 21, 2014, 3:33:20 PM11/21/14
On 11/21/14, 11:13 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
<snip>
> Volts for Dolts class.

:)

I'm having trouble with this one:

http://tinyurl.com/mo7zaqf

and yes, I've tried working it out by myself. The problem is that it
uses olfactory encoding and I don't have the proper equipment. I can
tell R from C, but all the different R values just smell the same to me.

ChesterW

Bill Sloman

Nov 21, 2014, 9:00:19 PM11/21/14
On Saturday, 22 November 2014 04:13:20 UTC+11, Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:06:38 -0800, Bill Sloman wrote:
> > On Friday, 21 November 2014 11:56:21 UTC+11, Daniel Mandic wrote:

> > - the book was aimed at Harvard
> > undergraduates, and also works for Cambridge UK undergraduates, who form
> > a similarly select group.
>
> And, since having money, family connections, and the ability to score
> highly on the English composition portion of your SAT tests doesn't mean
> squat for your ability to figure out electronic circuits, the OP should do
> OK.

The university entrance systems in the US and the UK aren't perfect, but Cambridge undergraduates tend to be pretty bright. Intelligence does seem to be significantly heritable, and if your parents were clever they are likely to have more money than most - it worked that way for me.

The fact that the undergraduates that get into Cambridge and Harvard are more likely to come from families who have money and corrections doesn't mean that the system is broken. In reality rather too many of them do, and the system is clearly bent, but it's also true that it's easier to teach from a demanding text-book like AoE at Cambridge and Harvard than it would be at institutions lower down the university pecking order.

> Now, if it were aimed at WPI or OSU (either one) undergrads, you should
> quake in your boots.

Never heard of either of them.

> And however much us ordinary mortals are supposed to bow and scrape when
> we hear the names "Haaahvahd" and "Cambridge", it's still a book for the
> Volts for Dolts class.

It will make the instructor work hard than one of the Schaum texts, but it does cover more stuff, and seems to go deeper.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Daniel Mandic

Nov 23, 2014, 7:18:59 AM11/23/14
Bill Sloman wrote:

> Sure. Read the book carefully. Once you have understood what it's
> telling you, it's easy to work out the solutions to the exercises.

I'll do so, thanks!

> If you are silly enough to look for another approach, you may take a
> while to develop the necessary competence - the book was aimed at
> Harvard undergraduates, and also works for Cambridge UK
> undergraduates, who form a similarly select group.

It's not so easy as it looks like in the first glimpse. I use the book
to swing me up to my knowledge, that I get right now in a 2 and half
year electronics-course (~620hours). The course is helping me to
understand the book, but the book is helping me to understand the
course (especially the theachers). A feed-back I won't miss!

--
Daniel Mandic

Bill Sloman

Nov 23, 2014, 7:43:02 AM11/23/14
> course (especially the teachers). A feed-back I won't miss!

Good luck!

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Daniel Mandic

Nov 23, 2014, 8:15:30 AM11/23/14
Tim Wescott wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:06:38 -0800, Bill Sloman wrote:

> Daniel: if you work through a problem and it makes sense to you, then
> there's a really good chance you've done it right. If you work
> through a problem and you just can't figure out if it's right or not,
> then feel free to post questions here.
>
> Don't sneer at an applicable Shaum's Outline or two, either -- they
> contain lots of worked problems which you can use if you get stuck.
>
> I've never seen anyone here volunteer to do anyone's homework, and
> it's fairly common for one of us to turn down an opportunity with
> quite intentionally pointed rudeness. However, there's quite a few
> people (myself included) who are quite happy to HELP you with your
> homework, in a way that won't give you the solution on a platter, but
> will perhaps point you in the direction you need to go.

Oh, thanks! What a great honour being welcomed by Tim Wescott.

There are many other sci.electronics groups I can ask my questions. In
that case, I have found an info on the web, telling me I can find the
authors of the book in s.e.d....
Design.... well, I don't think I will spend too much time into it. My
aim is repair, service, deeper knowledge (knowing what the curcuit
isn't doing anymore, without knowing how to design it). ..... working
for alternative energy (wind and passive solar) is a kind of
destination to me but not a must.

> Just describe the problem (for AoE you may even be able to just cite
> edition, chapter, and problem number), and where you're stuck. If
> where you're stuck is that you don't have a clue of how to start --
> say so.

Ok.

--
Daniel Mandic

Daniel Mandic

Nov 23, 2014, 8:17:28 AM11/23/14
ChesterW wrote:

> I'm having trouble with this one:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/mo7zaqf
>
> and yes, I've tried working it out by myself. The problem is that it
> uses olfactory encoding and I don't have the proper equipment. I can
> tell R from C, but all the different R values just smell the same to
> me.
>
> ChesterW

Well, but you can see sheets in the book....

--
Daniel Mandic

rickman

Nov 23, 2014, 2:25:06 PM11/23/14
There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. Trying to get the benefit
of some of that knowledge can be a bit tough. Same thing in comp.dsp.
You have to ring the bell just right to get a useful reply. Just be
glad they didn't heap a load of crap on you... or should that be load a
heap of crap on you.... your choice.

I feel your pain. 40 years ago I would just crack nearly any book and
in a relatively short time I would have absorbed it. I'm not so quick
with new things anymore. Sometimes I ask for help and get it. Joerg
helped me a lot learning how to design a low power amplifier recently.
I learned a lot from that. I expect you will get a better result if you
give a specific problem and ask a specific question about it. Even
better if you post what you think you know about solving it. Heck,
maybe I'll even be able to help. :)

--

Rick

Bill Sloman

Nov 23, 2014, 10:46:19 PM11/23/14
On Monday, 24 November 2014 00:15:30 UTC+11, Daniel Mandic wrote:
> Tim Wescott wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:06:38 -0800, Bill Sloman wrote:
>
> > Daniel: if you work through a problem and it makes sense to you, then
> > there's a really good chance you've done it right. If you work
> > through a problem and you just can't figure out if it's right or not,
> > then feel free to post questions here.
> >
> > Don't sneer at an applicable Shaum's Outline or two, either -- they
> > contain lots of worked problems which you can use if you get stuck.
> >
> > I've never seen anyone here volunteer to do anyone's homework, and
> > it's fairly common for one of us to turn down an opportunity with
> > quite intentionally pointed rudeness. However, there's quite a few
> > people (myself included) who are quite happy to HELP you with your
> > homework, in a way that won't give you the solution on a platter, but
> > will perhaps point you in the direction you need to go.
>
> Oh, thanks! What a great honour being welcomed by Tim Wescott.
>
> There are many other sci.electronics groups I can ask my questions. In
> that case, I have found an info on the web, telling me I can find the
> authors of the book in s.e.d....

Win Hill used to post here a lot, but he's been busy finishing the third edition of AoE for the past couple of years. My impression is that it's now with the publisher, but they keep the authors busy with proof-reading and similar chores for quite a while before they condescend to print anything - let alone sell it.

<snip>

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Daniel Mandic

Nov 24, 2014, 10:24:18 AM11/24/14
rickman wrote:

> There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. Trying to get the
> benefit of some of that knowledge can be a bit tough. Same thing in
> comp.dsp. You have to ring the bell just right to get a useful reply.
> Just be glad they didn't heap a load of crap on you... or should
> that be load a heap of crap on you.... your choice.

Well, s.e.d. isn't for any electronics technician/engineer... IMHO.
Let's see.

> I feel your pain. 40 years ago I would just crack nearly any book
> and in a relatively short time I would have absorbed it. I'm not so
> quick with new things anymore. Sometimes I ask for help and get it.
> Joerg helped me a lot learning how to design a low power amplifier
> recently.

Joerg is a nice guy.

> I learned a lot from that. I expect you will get a better
> result if you give a specific problem and ask a specific question
> about it. Even better if you post what you think you know about
> solving it. Heck, maybe I'll even be able to help. :)

Probably you know more in electronics than I do, yet ;-)

--
Daniel Mandic

bloggs.fred...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2014, 7:19:53 PM11/24/14
Are there any exercises in that book? There is the good idea/bad idea exercise section, novel but nothing that can't be solved by inspection.
It's not what could be called cerebral.

Winfield Hill

Dec 1, 2014, 11:33:59 AM12/1/14
bloggs.fred...@gmail.com wrote...

> On Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:06:43 PM UTC-5, Bill Sloman wrote:
>> On Friday, 21 November 2014 11:56:21 UTC+11, Daniel Mandic wrote:
>>> Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
>>> through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?
>>
>> Sure. Read the book carefully. Once you have understood what it's
> telling you, it's easy to work out the solutions to the exercises.
>
> Are there any exercises in that book? There is the good idea/bad idea
> exercise section, novel but nothing that can't be solved by inspection.
> It's not what could be called cerebral.

You're right, except it's Circuit ideas, and Bad circuits.
Funny, I always remembered it as Good Circuits and Bad Circuits.
The bad circuits are a bit puzzling, judging from emails I get.

We *did not* write AoE primarily as a textbook, hence there aren't
very many exercises. They're scattered here and there, plus more
at the end of some chapters. And most are quite simple, really
just prod to the reader to action. I find it's not easy dreaming
up good exercises. A further excuse is that simply writing and
finishing the book used up all our energy. I'm sorry to report
that we failed to solve that problem in writing the 3rd edition.

--
Thanks,
- Win

Phil Hobbs

Dec 1, 2014, 12:28:22 PM12/1/14
Hi, Win,

Welcome back! Does that mean that writing the 3rd edition is now
officially in the past tense?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

bloggs.fred...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2014, 12:56:34 PM12/1/14
Rohde's Communication Receivers has really great exercises because they were exactly the kinds of calculations one would use in practice to evaluate performance of prospective systems or to compare performance of several candidate systems. He also throws a lot of stuff out there for the reader to derive for him-/her-self, no further follow up, and doesn't clutter up his text with millions of numbered formulas, he treats the reader like an adult, either they get it or they don't. Haven't seen anything like his work before or since. Dunno know about his other books, only worked through this one:
http://books.google.com/books/about/Communications_Receivers.html?id=0mCJQgAACAAJ

Winfield Hill

Dec 1, 2014, 7:35:30 PM12/1/14
Phil Hobbs wrote...

>On 12/1/2014 11:33 AM, Winfield Hill wrote:
>> bloggs.fred...@gmail.com wrote...
>>>
>>> Are there any exercises in that book? There is the good idea/bad idea
>>> exercise section, novel but nothing that can't be solved by inspection.
>>> It's not what could be called cerebral.
>>
>> You're right, except it's Circuit ideas, and Bad circuits.
>> Funny, I always remembered it as Good Circuits and Bad Circuits.
>> The bad circuits are a bit puzzling, judging from emails I get.
>>
>> We *did not* write AoE primarily as a textbook, hence there aren't
>> very many exercises. They're scattered here and there, plus more
>> at the end of some chapters. And most are quite simple, really
>> just prod to the reader to action. I find it's not easy dreaming
>> up good exercises. A further excuse is that simply writing and
>> finishing the book used up all our energy. I'm sorry to report
>> that we failed to solve that problem in writing the 3rd edition.
>
> Hi, Win,
>
> Welcome back! Does that mean that writing the 3rd edition is now
> officially in the past tense?
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs

Yes, our deadline was Friday noontime, but we got
to keep futzing with it until yesterday afternoon.
Our editor, who's in England, had to cut everything
off, and after some finishing touches on the index
this morning, he sent it off to New York for the
printed galley version. After our checkout it'll
be printed (in the U.S.!) and ready for shipping.

So now I finally get my life back. Hi, guys!

--
Thanks,
- Win

Bill Sloman

Dec 1, 2014, 7:59:31 PM12/1/14
Congratulations. My wife finished her book a couple of years ago, but didn't get her life back - all the stuff that she'd deferred because she was finishing the book emerged from the wood-work, and she's still not worked through it.

I hope you have better luck.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

John Larkin

Dec 1, 2014, 8:06:58 PM12/1/14
On 1 Dec 2014 16:35:09 -0800, Winfield Hill <hi...@rowland.harvard.edu>
wrote:
Dang, now I'll have to start giving my interns the Third Edition,
which I'll have to pay full price for.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Phil Hobbs

Dec 1, 2014, 8:08:01 PM12/1/14
Well, it only took 25 years. Such a chef d'oeuvre cannot be rushed,
after all.

Congratulations and thanks to you and Paul, for myself and the whole
community. Having had 20% of that experience myself, I suspect you're
stumbling into walls at this point. ;)

Winfield Hill

Dec 1, 2014, 8:21:06 PM12/1/14
Phil Hobbs wrote...

>On 12/1/2014 7:35 PM, Winfield Hill wrote:
>>
>> So now I finally get my life back. Hi, guys!
>
> Well, it only took 25 years. Such a chef d'oeuvre cannot be rushed,
> after all.
>
> Congratulations and thanks to you and Paul, for myself and the whole
> community. Having had 20% of that experience myself, I suspect you're
> stumbling into walls at this point. ;)

Thanks, Phil, you're really too kind.
Nonetheless I appreciate the sentiment.

--
Thanks,
- Win

George Herold

Dec 1, 2014, 8:48:08 PM12/1/14
The perfect Xmas present for all your geek friends.

Win , I just wanted to add my thanks to that expressed by Phil.
(I've stolen circuits from lots of places,
but no single source larger than your book.)

George H.

John Larkin

Dec 1, 2014, 9:03:20 PM12/1/14
On 1 Dec 2014 17:20:53 -0800, Winfield Hill <hi...@rowland.harvard.edu>
wrote:
What he's trying to say, Win, is that you did good.

Winfield Hill

Dec 2, 2014, 8:58:26 AM12/2/14
John Larkin wrote...
You could give 'em Kindle versions of the 2nd ed., $48.

--
Thanks,
- Win

Don Kuenz

Dec 2, 2014, 9:23:12 AM12/2/14
Congratulations! I look forward to seeing all of the new
stuff. :)

--

( \_/ )
(='-'=) Don Kuenz

Daniel Mandic

Dec 2, 2014, 7:29:37 PM12/2/14
Winfield Hill wrote:

> Yes, our deadline was Friday noontime, but we got
> to keep futzing with it until yesterday afternoon.
> Our editor, who's in England, had to cut everything
> off, and after some finishing touches on the index
> this morning, he sent it off to New York for the
> printed galley version. After our checkout it'll
> be printed (in the U.S.!) and ready for shipping.
>
> So now I finally get my life back. Hi, guys!

Congratulations! Dear Sirs,

The 2nd Edition (I use the 8th issue of 'die hohe schule der elektronik
2nd ed.' aka AoE 2nd. ed.) is wonderful.
The translation of the nice english(american)english into german, is
(has been done...) in my opinion almost perfect!

I think I have to edge my skills in english further. The English-US
3rd. ed. is to be worth a try :)

Kind regards
Daniel Mandic

John Miles, KE5FX

Dec 3, 2014, 1:00:10 AM12/3/14
On Monday, December 1, 2014 4:35:30 PM UTC-8, Winfield Hill wrote:
> Yes, our deadline was Friday noontime, but we got
> to keep futzing with it until yesterday afternoon.
> Our editor, who's in England, had to cut everything
> off, and after some finishing touches on the index
> this morning, he sent it off to New York for the
> printed galley version. After our checkout it'll
> be printed (in the U.S.!) and ready for shipping.
>
> So now I finally get my life back. Hi, guys!

Congratulations! I'm no stranger to ridiculously long pet projects, but you guys have got to hold the all-time record, at least in the post-cathedral era. It must feel great to have that weight off your shoulders.

-- john, KE5FX

Michael A. Terrell

Dec 11, 2014, 12:39:45 AM12/11/14

Winfield Hill wrote:

> Yes, our deadline was Friday noontime, but we got
> to keep futzing with it until yesterday afternoon.
> Our editor, who's in England, had to cut everything
> off, and after some finishing touches on the index
> this morning, he sent it off to New York for the
> printed galley version. After our checkout it'll
> be printed (in the U.S.!) and ready for shipping.
>
> So now I finally get my life back. Hi, guys!

Welcome back. I was wondering if you had given up on us. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

lande...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2015, 5:38:28 PM10/31/15
> Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
> through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?

I also wish The Art of Electronics gave the solution to all exercises somewhere in the appendix...I'm often unsure if I did good, and I have no one knowledgeable to help me here :(

markw...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2017, 3:11:11 AM9/24/17
On Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 6:56:21 PM UTC-6, Daniel Mandic wrote:
> Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
> through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?

For most of the exercises, you can check your work using Paul Falstad's free drag and drop analog circuit simulator:
http://falstad.com/mathphysics.html
As a bonus, it natively imports/exports SPICE files.

It's a great way to build intuition about circuits, which is what TAOE is about.

Jim Thompson

Sep 24, 2017, 1:21:24 PM9/24/17
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:06:38 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman
<bill....@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, 21 November 2014 11:56:21 UTC+11, Daniel Mandic wrote:
>> Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
>> through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?
>
>Sure. Read the book carefully. Once you have understood what it's telling you, it's easy to work out the solutions to the exercises. If you are silly enough to look for another approach, you may take a while to develop the necessary competence - the book was aimed at Harvard undergraduates, and also works for Cambridge UK undergraduates, who form a similarly select group.

"Select group" of pansies ?>:-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Wanderer

Sep 24, 2017, 4:21:48 PM9/24/17
On Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 7:56:21 PM UTC-5, Daniel Mandic wrote:
> Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
> through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?
>

> --
> Daniel Mandic

There's a guy in the reddit group doing them. Here's the thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronics/comments/6fg5i3/ive_started_writing_up_solutions_for_the_art_of/

Here's the website.
https://sites.google.com/view/taoesolutions/home

bloggs.fred...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2017, 4:29:38 PM9/24/17
That's kinda unbelievable.

bill....@ieee.org

Sep 24, 2017, 10:32:51 PM9/24/17
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 3:21:24 AM UTC+10, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:06:38 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman
> <bill....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, 21 November 2014 11:56:21 UTC+11, Daniel Mandic wrote:
> >> Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
> >> through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?
> >
> >Sure. Read the book carefully. Once you have understood what it's telling you, it's easy to work out the solutions to the exercises. If you are silly enough to look for another approach, you may take a while to develop the necessary competence - the book was aimed at Harvard undergraduates, and also works for Cambridge UK undergraduates, who form a similarly select group.
>
> "Select group" of pansies ?>:-}

Getting into Harvard or Cambridge U.K. isn't easy. As far as I know the selection process doesn't pay any attention to sexual preferences, even if they seem worth worrying about to antiques from Arizona.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

aav...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2017, 5:41:33 PM9/26/17
On Friday, November 21, 2014 at 6:00:19 PM UTC-8, Bill Sloman wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 November 2014 04:13:20 UTC+11, Tim Wescott wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:06:38 -0800, Bill Sloman wrote:
> > > On Friday, 21 November 2014 11:56:21 UTC+11, Daniel Mandic wrote:
>
> > > - the book was aimed at Harvard
> > > undergraduates, and also works for Cambridge UK undergraduates, who form
> > > a similarly select group.
> >
> > And, since having money, family connections, and the ability to score
> > highly on the English composition portion of your SAT tests doesn't mean
> > squat for your ability to figure out electronic circuits, the OP should do
> > OK.
>
> The university entrance systems in the US and the UK aren't perfect, but Cambridge undergraduates tend to be pretty bright. Intelligence does seem to be significantly heritable, and if your parents were clever they are likely to have more money than most - it worked that way for me.
>
> The fact that the undergraduates that get into Cambridge and Harvard are more likely to come from families who have money and corrections doesn't mean that the system is broken. In reality rather too many of them do, and the system is clearly bent, but it's also true that it's easier to teach from a demanding text-book like AoE at Cambridge and Harvard than it would be at institutions lower down the university pecking order.
>
> > Now, if it were aimed at WPI or OSU (either one) undergrads, you should
> > quake in your boots.
>
> Never heard of either of them.
>
> > And however much us ordinary mortals are supposed to bow and scrape when
> > we hear the names "Haaahvahd" and "Cambridge", it's still a book for the
> > Volts for Dolts class.
>
> It will make the instructor work hard than one of the Schaum texts, but it does cover more stuff, and seems to go deeper.
>
> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney

I am a teacher, not in electronics, but still a teacher. I find this type of reply very damaging to a person honestly trying to be a lifelong learner. You Guys trying to learn ROCK! Keep it up, don't let this type of reply discourage you.

Electronics courses are not as easy to find as they once were. Nor are their specialized fields available anymore. So now, to keep the older knowledge alive, it is up to people to seek out books and mentors.

Please be a mentor, or stop commenting. You are hindering good people that are honestly trying to learn.

I challenge you prove that you actually know the answers; because at present, I am not so sure you do. If you do, please rise above this and teach.

I wish to point out that I am being nice in this reply, and yet, I find your comments very offensive. If anything I have said in this post is hurtful or offends you or anyone else, please accept my honest and humble apology. I am not an electronics teacher, so maybe I am wrong, here. My only goal here is to suggest a new path.

tabb...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2017, 6:26:19 PM9/26/17
Sloman is seldom constructive. Many of us killfiled him.

NT

Jim Thompson

Sep 26, 2017, 6:53:49 PM9/26/17
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:26:10 -0700 (PDT), tabb...@gmail.com wrote:

[snip]

>Sloman is seldom constructive. Many of us killfiled him.
>

>NT

I notice (with considerable glee) that lonm...@gmail.com seems to
have hit near ignored-by-100%.

Just apply the same to Slowman.

bill....@ieee.org

Sep 27, 2017, 7:56:12 AM9/27/17
On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 7:41:33 AM UTC+10, aav...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, November 21, 2014 at 6:00:19 PM UTC-8, Bill Sloman wrote:

> > > And, since having money, family connections, and the ability to score
> > > highly on the English composition portion of your SAT tests doesn't mean
> > > squat for your ability to figure out electronic circuits, the OP should do
> > > OK.
> >
> > The university entrance systems in the US and the UK aren't perfect, but Cambridge undergraduates tend to be pretty bright. Intelligence does seem to be significantly heritable, and if your parents were clever they are likely to have more money than most - it worked that way for me.
> >
> > The fact that the undergraduates that get into Cambridge and Harvard are more likely to come from families who have money and corrections doesn't mean that the system is broken. In reality rather too many of them do, and the system is clearly bent, but it's also true that it's easier to teach from a demanding text-book like AoE at Cambridge and Harvard than it would be at institutions lower down the university pecking order.
> >
> > > Now, if it were aimed at WPI or OSU (either one) undergrads, you should
> > > quake in your boots.
> >
> > Never heard of either of them.
> >
> > > And however much us ordinary mortals are supposed to bow and scrape when
> > > we hear the names "Haaahvahd" and "Cambridge", it's still a book for the
> > > Volts for Dolts class.
> >
> > It will make the instructor work hard than one of the Schaum texts, but it does cover more stuff, and seems to go deeper.
>
> I am a teacher, not in electronics, but still a teacher. I find this type of reply very damaging to a person honestly trying to be a lifelong learner. You Guys trying to learn ROCK! Keep it up, don't let this type of reply discourage you.

Some folks are more talented than others. Denying that does a lot more damage. Teaching the less talented means that you have to dot a lot more of the "i"s and cross a lot more of the "t"s, and it takes you longer to get where you need to get to.

> Electronics courses are not as easy to find as they once were. Nor are their specialized fields available anymore. So now, to keep the older knowledge alive, it is up to people to seek out books and mentors.

> Please be a mentor, or stop commenting. You are hindering good people that are honestly trying to learn.

I very much doubt it. You may not like what I've posted, but you haven't been all that explicit about what you didn't like, and without that nobody is going to take you seriously.

> I challenge you prove that you actually know the answers; because at present, I am not so sure you do. If you do, please rise above this and teach.

I couldn't care less about your opinion. It doesn't sound as if you could pose a question which would be worth answering. If you can post one, I'll post a response, if I know enough about the subject to say anything useful, which certainly isn't guaranteed.

> I wish to point out that I am being nice in this reply,

You may think so.

> and yet, I find your comments very offensive.

If you self-identify as being thick as a brick, you might. Telling people who haven't got much talent to persist in trying to develop what talent they've got isn't good advice - they'd be much better off finding out what they are good at and working on that.

<snipped redundant waffle>

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

bill....@ieee.org

Sep 27, 2017, 8:00:09 AM9/27/17
On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 8:26:19 AM UTC+10, tabb...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 22:41:33 UTC+1, aav...@gmail.com wrote:

<snip>

> Sloman is seldom constructive. Many of us killfiled him.

NT doesn't seem to know enough to recognise constructive suggestions. He does seem to specialise in carping - if he's good for anything else I haven't seen any examples here.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

> NT

bill....@ieee.org

Sep 27, 2017, 8:03:35 AM9/27/17
On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 8:53:49 AM UTC+10, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:26:10 -0700 (PDT), tabb...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> >Sloman is seldom constructive. Many of us killfiled him.
>
> I notice (with considerable glee) that lonm...@gmail.com seems to
> have hit near ignored-by-100%.

Unlike Jim, his comments don't provoke incredulous corrections.

> Just apply the same to Sloman.

The cost benefit ratio works better for kill-filing Jim Thompson, even better for NT and krw.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

saydakhta...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2018, 6:08:47 AM1/20/18
пятница, 21 ноября 2014 г., 1:56:21 UTC+1 пользователь Daniel Mandic написал:
> Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
> through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?
>

> --
> Daniel Mandic

Is there any book for electronics containing only exercises?

Mo Tahoon

Aug 4, 2023, 9:31:39 AM8/4/23
On Friday, November 21, 2014 at 4:06:43 AM UTC+1, Bill Sloman wrote:
> On Friday, 21 November 2014 11:56:21 UTC+11, Daniel Mandic wrote:
> > Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
> > through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?
> Sure. Read the book carefully. Once you have understood what it's telling you, it's easy to work out the solutions to the exercises. If you are silly enough to look for another approach, you may take a while to develop the necessary competence - the book was aimed at Harvard undergraduates, and also works for Cambridge UK undergraduates, who form a similarly select group.
>
> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney
Such a useful answer , like it helped anyone who read it, worth writing indeed !

Anthony William Sloman

Aug 4, 2023, 11:40:19 AM8/4/23
On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 11:31:39 PM UTC+10, Mo Tahoon wrote:
> On Friday, November 21, 2014 at 4:06:43 AM UTC+1, Bill Sloman wrote:
> > On Friday, 21 November 2014 11:56:21 UTC+11, Daniel Mandic wrote:
> > > Is there any chance to get the solutions for the many exercises, found
> > > through Chapter 1-15 of that brilliant electronics teaching book?
> > Sure. Read the book carefully. Once you have understood what it's telling you, it's easy to work out the solutions to the exercises. If you are silly enough to look for another approach, you may take a while to develop the necessary competence - the book was aimed at Harvard undergraduates, and also works for Cambridge UK undergraduates, who form a similarly select group.
>
> Such a useful answer , like it helped anyone who read it, worth writing indeed !

I'm not sure that it was a useful answer. It's probably good advice, but not directed at anybody who would benefit from the advice.

Quite why anybody would bother to revive the thread nine years later is an interesting question. The 2017 revival was largely Jim Thompson being unpleasant - he was rather psychopathic. Tabby threw in a me-too - he's pretty unpleasant too.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney