OT: Barking Dog Problem

Jim Thompson

Feb 6, 2016, 5:10:17 PM2/6/16
Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
Ultrasound?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Michael Black

Feb 6, 2016, 5:12:16 PM2/6/16
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016, Jim Thompson wrote:

> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?

Rub behind its ear.

One might also stop the constant crossposting, and the offtopic postiing
for that matter, perhaps it rightfully annoys the dog.

Michael

dca...@krl.org

Feb 6, 2016, 5:25:57 PM2/6/16
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 5:12:16 PM UTC-5, Michael Black wrote:

> > Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> > Ultrasound?
> >
> Rub behind its ear.
>

> Michael

Positive reinforcement works. Negative reinforcement will only temporarily suppress behavior. So ultrasonic noise is not going to be very effective.

I would talk to the owner and get his approval. If the dog is barking at you, then having the owner kind of introduce you to the dog and show the dog that it does not need to protect the owner or itself from you would probably help. So rubbing behind the ear is good advice.

Dan

Dave M

Feb 6, 2016, 5:47:00 PM2/6/16
Jim Thompson wrote:
> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?
>
> ...Jim Thompson
>> James E.Thompson | mens |
>> Analog Innovations | et |
>> Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
>> San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |
>> Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |
>> E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |
>
> I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Have your neighbor contact Cesar Millan, "The Dog Whisperer". The problem
is likely that the dog's owner isn't providing the dog with the proper
boundaries and limitations that it needs.

Dave M

David Eather

Feb 6, 2016, 5:50:23 PM2/6/16

amdx

Feb 6, 2016, 5:54:14 PM2/6/16
On 2/6/2016 4:09 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?
>
> ...Jim Thompson

What would happen if you pick up the dogs bark, delay it 1/4 second,
or 1/2 second, or 1 second and play it back to the dog.
Might confuse it enough that it would stop.
Just a thought.
Or record it and play it back, when the neighbor is home to hear what
his dog does all day.

I read the other day that many critical public audio systems have
ultrasound played through the speakers. This is picked up and is
evidence the audio system is working. If the Ultrasound is not picked up
the system needs immediate repair.
The article was in relation to hearing damage to people or workers in
the ultrasound 8 hours a day.
I thought a phone app could be made to tell you when you were in an
area where ultrasound was being played.

Mikek

Artemus

Feb 6, 2016, 5:58:20 PM2/6/16

"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in message
> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?
>
> ...Jim Thompson
> --
Yes. Call animal control and when they show up turn on the ultrasound. It may take a few calls,
but works well in the end.
Art

sean....@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2016, 6:02:15 PM2/6/16
Retired, nothing to do, fret about the neighbour's dog.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Feb 6, 2016, 6:03:39 PM2/6/16
A lead enriched breakfast snack. I particularly like those snacks which
are delivered at 2k+ ft/s.

Tim Wescott

Feb 6, 2016, 6:39:39 PM2/6/16
On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 17:16:44 -0500, Michael Black wrote:

:)

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Jim Thompson

Feb 6, 2016, 6:52:03 PM2/6/16
On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 17:39:32 -0600, Tim Wescott
<seemyw...@myfooter.really> wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 17:16:44 -0500, Michael Black wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Feb 2016, Jim Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
>>> Ultrasound?
>>>
>> Rub behind its ear.
>>
>> One might also stop the constant crossposting, and the offtopic postiing
>> for that matter, perhaps it rightfully annoys the dog.
>>
>> Michael
>
>:)

Who's this "Michael Black"? Another leftist ?>:-}

Rheilly Phoull

Feb 6, 2016, 6:55:43 PM2/6/16
On 7/02/2016 6:09 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Can you fit a silencer on a weapon ??

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Feb 6, 2016, 8:02:17 PM2/6/16
A weapon *is* a silencer. ;-)

Rheilly Phoull

Feb 6, 2016, 8:22:59 PM2/6/16
I guess that would depend on the method of application !!

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Feb 6, 2016, 8:25:12 PM2/6/16
Well, if not 'fooly' implemented, it becomes a torture device.

(or is that "phoully"?)

Bob Engelhardt

Feb 6, 2016, 8:25:51 PM2/6/16
It's a tease: 2 pages without details and "For full access, purchase the
issue for $8.20"

Bah!

Rheilly Phoull

Feb 6, 2016, 10:46:25 PM2/6/16
OOOH !! I get it now, brilliant.

John Larkin

Feb 6, 2016, 11:27:03 PM2/6/16
On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 15:09:53 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
>Ultrasound?
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Ear plugs.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

tabb...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2016, 3:20:16 AM2/7/16
On Sunday, 7 February 2016 04:27:03 UTC, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 15:09:53 -0700, Jim Thompson
> <To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>
> >Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> >Ultrasound?

> Ear plugs.

I suspect earplugs would make the dog bark more.

NT

tabb...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2016, 3:21:53 AM2/7/16
On Saturday, 6 February 2016 22:10:17 UTC, Jim Thompson wrote:

> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?

'Own' the dog. Then tell him/her no. Only going to work if you have enough access and the right personality to establish who's boss. And do it without abuse of course.

NT

John Fields

Feb 7, 2016, 3:24:25 AM2/7/16
On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 20:26:50 -0800, John Larkin
<jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 15:09:53 -0700, Jim Thompson
><To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>
>>Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
>>Ultrasound?
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>
>Ear plugs.

---
So if a dog can't hear himself bark he'll stop barking?

John Fields

Spehro Pefhany

Feb 7, 2016, 7:42:37 AM2/7/16
On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 20:26:50 -0800, the renowned John Larkin
<jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 15:09:53 -0700, Jim Thompson
><To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>
>>Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
>>Ultrasound?
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>
>Ear plugs.

Being AZ, 45 ACP and some story about feeling life in danger..

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Feb 7, 2016, 7:43:07 AM2/7/16
LOL. Louder anyway.

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Feb 7, 2016, 7:49:53 AM2/7/16
Den lørdag den 6. februar 2016 kl. 23.10.17 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:
> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?

remove batteries from hearing aid? ;)

-Lasse

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Feb 7, 2016, 7:51:33 AM2/7/16
On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 07:43:01 -0500, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 00:20:10 -0800 (PST), the renowned
> tabb...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, 7 February 2016 04:27:03 UTC, John Larkin wrote:

>>> Ear plugs.
>>
>>I suspect earplugs would make the dog bark more.
>>

>>NT
>
> LOL. Louder anyway.

Fuck earplugs. A half ounce of wax into each ear of both parties.

Still barking? A half ounce of wax down the throat.

Jim Thompson

Feb 7, 2016, 9:53:36 AM2/7/16
The barking is waking my wife... not me... I don't wear my aids while
sleeping ;-)

tabb...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2016, 9:54:43 AM2/7/16
On Sunday, 7 February 2016 12:51:33 UTC, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 07:43:01 -0500, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> > On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 00:20:10 -0800 (PST), the renowned
> > tabbypurr wrote:

> >>I suspect earplugs would make the dog bark more.
> >
> > LOL. Louder anyway.
> >
> Fuck earplugs.

Bad idea. Especially if they've been deployed in the dog.

NT

amdx

Feb 7, 2016, 11:20:34 AM2/7/16
On 2/7/2016 8:53 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 04:49:48 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
> <lang...@fonz.dk> wrote:
>
>> Den lørdag den 6. februar 2016 kl. 23.10.17 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:
>>> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
>>> Ultrasound?
>>>

>> remove batteries from hearing aid? ;)
>>

>> -Lasse
>
> The barking is waking my wife... not me... I don't wear my aids while
> sleeping ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Ok, no one ran with my playback of a delayed bark, but if you had a very
high intensity Ultrasound riff for each bark, it might work.

music back to his neighbors.
Annoying music "Who let the dogs out" :-)

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHYKVIbDcs

Mikek

Jim Thompson

Feb 7, 2016, 11:59:49 AM2/7/16
I find classical music, particularly the atonal era, Bartok, et all,
kills loud rapper stuff right away >:-}

bitrex

Feb 7, 2016, 12:03:08 PM2/7/16
On 02/06/2016 05:09 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Ground hamburger, cyanide capsule, plausible deniablity.

After putting up with two neighbors over the past few years who had an
"I don't give a fuck" attitude about their chronically yapping mutts and
were utterly resistant to any reasonable discussion on the issue, and
the chronic disinterest of authorities about the matter, my patience for
it is at an all-time low.

Barking dogs and pathological neighbors who are lovesick over their
little puppies and don't know how to properly discipline them are a huge
problem. People like that already have two strikes against them - A)
they know it's a problem and don't care, and B) they own dogs in the
first place (owning animals that don't serve a purpose other than
providing 'unconditional love' is infantile, IMO.)

Reptiles, on the other hand, make fantastic pets.

bitrex

Feb 7, 2016, 12:12:31 PM2/7/16
On 02/07/2016 11:59 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 10:20:26 -0600, amdx <noj...@knology.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/7/2016 8:53 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> The barking is waking my wife... not me... I don't wear my aids while
>>> sleeping ;-)
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>>>

>> Ok, no one ran with my playback of a delayed bark, but if you had a very
>> high intensity Ultrasound riff for each bark, it might work.

>> music back to his neighbors.
>> Annoying music "Who let the dogs out" :-)
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHYKVIbDcs
>>
>> Mikek
>
> I find classical music, particularly the atonal era, Bartok, et all,
> kills loud rapper stuff right away >:-}
>
> ...Jim Thompson

What happens if a rapper samples Bartok and puts a hip hop beat under
it? What then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtDAvJJ4Hw8

This is what I play when I'm in Kendall Square - Hawking is coming for
MIT punks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvOEFr03ea8

Tom Biasi

Feb 7, 2016, 12:13:29 PM2/7/16
On 2/6/2016 5:09 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Here is a novel idea. Go to the neighbor and tell him the dog barking is
bothering you and ask what he can do about it.

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Feb 7, 2016, 12:20:49 PM2/7/16
now that would be silly, it doesn't involve any poison or guns

-Lasse

bitrex

Feb 7, 2016, 12:24:39 PM2/7/16
I mean, you can try. The Sixers might become a good team, also.

In most cases they already know their dog is being an annoying pain in
the ass and they don't care. What difference do you think your patient
story of woe is going to make? Usually, none.

Like, they already know what they are.

Tom Del Rosso

Feb 7, 2016, 12:24:59 PM2/7/16
Jim Thompson wrote:

> I find classical music, particularly the atonal era, Bartok, et all,
> kills loud rapper stuff right away >:-}

But I don't like atonal music (except in the context of the score of the
original Planet of the Apes).

Maybe the Verdi Requiem Dies Irae (once my mom blew her speakers when
she cranked up that one), or the finale of Prince Igor.

bitrex

Feb 7, 2016, 12:28:13 PM2/7/16
There are certain types of people that don't really respond well to
polite logical arguments, and I think engineering types may forget that
from time to time. As I've gotten older, I've gotten a bit better at
sussing out preemptively who I'll be wasting my breath on.

Some people only respond to an authority figure bringing the hammer down
on them. And with that type of person, if it's not possible to avoid
them entirely, it's best to go that route early and often.

bitrex

Feb 7, 2016, 12:37:45 PM2/7/16
12 tone stuff like Schoenberg is definitely an acquired taste. But there
are some composers who incorporated aspects of that who are easy for
anyone to get into.

Do you like Debussy? I love the late 19th century impressionist style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAVyKDDsM3s

Tom Biasi

Feb 7, 2016, 1:19:32 PM2/7/16
Well you won't know what kind of people they are until you try.
If you file a formal complaint most likely the officer will ask if you
contacted the person. I personally would not take legal action against a
neighbor without first discussing the issue. I'm not above the
ultrasound though.:-)

jurb...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2016, 1:23:21 PM2/7/16
I remember a time when we used to do a very strange in a situation like this.

Physically walk over there and talk to the neighbor. He might say the dog is watching the yard but then you maybe "Well that's all fine and good but when a leaf gets blown two inches on the ground he acts like there are 20 Mexicans dragging your garage away".

These off topic post, well fuck it, some of them bring up some important point. Like when someone has a problem with a neighbor who lives within yards, asks people in Norway and Australia etc. what to do about it. Even the loud stereo issue, in my old hood I knew most of the neighbors, and I had a killer stereo. They sometimes came and asked me to turn it down nicely, like "Turn that shit down or I am calling the fucking law". When I cranked it up during the day one of these same neighbors actually complimented me on how good it sounds. It was one hell of a good system.

I miss that hood but it is falling apart anyway, the oldsters are dying off. I used to like talking to the guy down the street, like in his 90s or whatever. Lived through the depression, or part of it. He as throwing out some rabbit cages while I was dumoping on his property. He is at the end of the street where there is a big downhill. He wanted the fill so dirt and lumber was the rule. No roofing, drywall, shit like that but any yard waste was OK. Said he used those rabbit cages for meat in the depression. you just grow your greens n shit to feed them and they provide the meat.

It was a world of front porches. Corner stores. Corner bars. You actually talked politics at the bars, but not which asshole is going to be President, more like city council. In fact the councilmen came to the bars.

Not so sure I like it like this. It was better.

Jim Thompson

Feb 7, 2016, 1:42:34 PM2/7/16
My wife goes apoplectic at Schoenberg, Berg, Bartok or even much of
Stravinsky ;-)

Martin Riddle

Feb 7, 2016, 1:53:30 PM2/7/16
On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 15:09:53 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
>Ultrasound?
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Get a cat.

Our neighbors dog would freak out, and run back and forth barking at
our cat who just sat there on the our side of the fence.
The neighbors eventually got rid of the dog ;)

Cheers

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Feb 7, 2016, 2:26:37 PM2/7/16
On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 12:03:03 -0500, bitrex wrote:

> On 02/06/2016 05:09 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
>> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
>> Ultrasound?
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>>

> Ground hamburger, cyanide capsule, plausible deniablity.

I do not think his wife would like that meal very much.

Had a hard time finding a link for the capsules too.

Polonium was an easy find, on the other hand.

You missed an I in deniability.

Jim Thompson

Feb 7, 2016, 3:01:58 PM2/7/16
We had a Burmese cat that the male Dachshund was fond of sneaking up
on and bowling him over from the side.

One day the Dachsy bowled over the cat and the cat spun around and bit
the end of his tail, which bled profusely.

The Dachsy never again bothered the cat ;-)

rickman

Feb 7, 2016, 3:18:40 PM2/7/16
On 2/7/2016 12:13 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:
I simply left a note asking my neighbor to come talk to me about the
barking dog and got yelled at when he came home. I called animal
control which is handled by the sheriffs at that location. Seems the
officer responsible for that duty is an animal lover and told me, "of
course the animal barks". I gave up.

I was being woken up every morning by the dog barking when the owner
left and put the dog in the back yard for the day. I don't know if the
animal barked just at the time he was put out or if something disturbed
him. But it lasted long enough to wake me up and that is not an easy
thing to do before my 8 hours are up. So the dog was barking for some
10 minutes at least. I don't get why this didn't bother everyone in the
townhouse cluster.

--

Rick

bloggs.fred...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2016, 3:49:25 PM2/7/16
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 5:10:17 PM UTC-5, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?

It's stupid to deal with the dog in a high density neighborhood. And if it's not the dog, it will just be something else. The more modern and intelligent approach is to soundproof. Most of the noise energy is coming through the windows, replace your windows with soundproof windows of approximate STC 50 rating, you won't hear a thing. I am assuming this is a nighttime bedroom situation, depending on style, it shouldn't be more than a few $K. Keep the receipts for capital gains.

http://www.hgtv.com/remodel/mechanical-systems/enhanced-window-acoustics-can-shut-out-noise

amdx

Feb 7, 2016, 5:19:25 PM2/7/16
On 2/7/2016 10:59 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 10:20:26 -0600, amdx <noj...@knology.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/7/2016 8:53 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> The barking is waking my wife... not me... I don't wear my aids while
>>> sleeping ;-)
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>>>

>> Ok, no one ran with my playback of a delayed bark, but if you had a very
>> high intensity Ultrasound riff for each bark, it might work.

>> music back to his neighbors.
>> Annoying music "Who let the dogs out" :-)
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHYKVIbDcs
>>
>> Mikek
>
> I find classical music, particularly the atonal era, Bartok, et all,
> kills loud rapper stuff right away >:-}
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Sometimes things get reversed and the dog gets to complain.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vogp-n1-JPA

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atJT2A5BBSk

I'd be pissed too!

Mikek

bitrex

Feb 7, 2016, 5:35:53 PM2/7/16
On 02/07/2016 01:42 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 12:37:39 -0500, bitrex
> <bit...@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> But I don't like atonal music (except in the context of the score of the
>>> original Planet of the Apes).
>>>
>>> Maybe the Verdi Requiem Dies Irae (once my mom blew her speakers when
>>> she cranked up that one), or the finale of Prince Igor.
>>>

>> 12 tone stuff like Schoenberg is definitely an acquired taste. But there
>> are some composers who incorporated aspects of that who are easy for
>> anyone to get into.
>>
>> Do you like Debussy? I love the late 19th century impressionist style:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAVyKDDsM3s
>
> My wife goes apoplectic at Schoenberg, Berg, Bartok or even much of
> Stravinsky ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, well, when Stravinsky premiered "Rite of Spring" in Paris in 1905
or whenever it was, apparently the whole audience did the same thing!

Jim Thompson

Feb 7, 2016, 5:55:49 PM2/7/16
I need to find me an outdoor-qualified horn tweeter, then feed it with
10-20W of warble around 25kHz >:-}

Jim Thompson

Feb 7, 2016, 6:09:03 PM2/7/16
On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 17:35:48 -0500, bitrex
Personally, I like Stravinsky, and "Rite of Spring"... maybe even a
little Schoenberg... but Berg and Bartok :-(

amdx

Feb 7, 2016, 6:17:04 PM2/7/16
10 to 20 watts? Is that enough power? How far is the dog and what is
the attenuation of air per meter at 25kHz?

Mikek

Heck, just record the IMAM and play it back for the offending neighbor.

Jim Thompson

Feb 7, 2016, 6:37:37 PM2/7/16
Diagonally adjacent. Google Earth on us, we're in the corner
cul-de-sac lot. If it needs 100W I'll give it 100W >:-}

dca...@krl.org

Feb 7, 2016, 9:25:18 PM2/7/16
On Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 5:55:49 PM UTC-5, Jim Thompson wrote:

> I need to find me an outdoor-qualified horn tweeter, then feed it with
> 10-20W of warble around 25kHz >:-}
>
> ...Jim Thompson
> --

And the object is to make your wife deaf? If you can get her to wear hearing protection to save her hearing, then you do not need the ultrasonics.

Dan

David Brown

Feb 8, 2016, 3:59:44 AM2/8/16
On 07/02/16 00:51, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 17:39:32 -0600, Tim Wescott
> <seemyw...@myfooter.really> wrote:

>>> Rub behind its ear.
>>>
>>> One might also stop the constant crossposting, and the offtopic postiing
>>> for that matter, perhaps it rightfully annoys the dog.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>
>> :)
>
> Who's this "Michael Black"? Another leftist ?>:-}
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Perhaps it is just someone who understands the difference between a
technical subject Usenet group, and Facebook. And no, a daft suggestion
of using "ultrasound" does not make a pointless "I'm so important that
the world needs to know what I ate for breakfast" post any more
interesting. So your neighbour's dog barks. So what? Who the ****
cares, except perhaps your other neighbours? Why make a post to an
international newsgroup telling the world?

Piotr Wyderski

Feb 8, 2016, 6:56:12 AM2/8/16
Michael Black wrote:

> Rub behind its ear.

With a sharp stick.

Best regards, Piotr

Michael Kellett

Feb 8, 2016, 8:27:12 AM2/8/16
Jim Thompson:
> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> Ultrasound?
>
> ...Jim Thompson
> --
> | James E.Thompson | mens |
> | Analog Innovations | et |
> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
> | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |
> | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |
> | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |
>
> I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

It's no different from fixing anything else, first you (or better, your
neighbour) need to work out WHY the dog is barking.
Once you know that you can start working on solutions.
Your biggest problem may be getting co-operation from the neighbour -
most reasonable dog owners don't allow them to make trouble.
In the UK you could get a noise abatement order (eventually) - is there
a US equivalent ?

MK

tabb...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2016, 3:45:39 PM2/8/16
On Monday, 8 February 2016 13:27:12 UTC, Michael Kellett wrote:
> Jim Thompson:

> > Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
> > Ultrasound?

> It's no different from fixing anything else, first you (or better, your
> neighbour) need to work out WHY the dog is barking.
> Once you know that you can start working on solutions.
> Your biggest problem may be getting co-operation from the neighbour -
> most reasonable dog owners don't allow them to make trouble.
> In the UK you could get a noise abatement order (eventually) - is there
> a US equivalent ?

Normally the owner hasn't a clue what to do, and opposes any real solutions due to said cluelessness and/or denial. So I'm not sure what any reasonable measures would actually achieve.

NT

Tom Del Rosso

Feb 10, 2016, 1:46:32 PM2/10/16
Oh yes. He was the first composer I loved when I was 13 or 14, but my
favorites are evenly distributed through the periods from Bach to
Respighi.

Tom Del Rosso

Feb 10, 2016, 1:55:53 PM2/10/16
bitrex wrote:
> On 02/07/2016 01:42 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
>>
>> My wife goes apoplectic at Schoenberg, Berg, Bartok or even much of
>> Stravinsky ;-)
>
> Yeah, well, when Stravinsky premiered "Rite of Spring" in Paris in
> 1905 or whenever it was, apparently the whole audience did the same
> thing!

I thought they reacted by having an orgy. Maybe you're interpreting the
word apoplectic broadly.

Jim Thompson

Feb 10, 2016, 2:29:22 PM2/10/16
Willy Nelson is my favorite >:-}

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 12, 2016, 2:57:29 PM2/12/16
Like this? 20 @ 50W each would allow 1 kW of ultrasonics. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281927114395

Tom Miller

Feb 12, 2016, 5:06:36 PM2/12/16

"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Phased array. Think of the gain that could be had.

Jim Thompson

Feb 12, 2016, 5:16:33 PM2/12/16
Holy shit! That oughta to do it >:-}

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 12, 2016, 6:29:23 PM2/12/16

Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:57:22 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> >Tom Biasi wrote:

> >> Well you won't know what kind of people they are until you try.
> >> If you file a formal complaint most likely the officer will ask if you
> >> contacted the person. I personally would not take legal action against a
> >> neighbor without first discussing the issue. I'm not above the
> >> ultrasound though.:-)
> >

> >Like this? 20 @ 50W each would allow 1 kW of ultrasonics. :)
> >
> >http://www.ebay.com/itm/281927114395
>
> Holy shit! That oughta to do it >:-}

I bought a better deal awhile back. I got 50 of them for $39,95,
delivered. Now I just need to finish designing that 2500W ultrasonic
amp. I'll feed it from my HP3325A function generator, and set to sweep
through the range that dogs can hear. I will use a bark detector to
trigger it. On bark = one sweep, then switch it off.

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 12, 2016, 6:30:20 PM2/12/16
Add some PVC pipe to sharpen the array, and dogs will hear it for ten
miles. ;-)

Tom Biasi

Feb 12, 2016, 6:31:40 PM2/12/16
On 2/12/2016 5:16 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:57:22 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> Tom Biasi wrote:

>>> Well you won't know what kind of people they are until you try.
>>> If you file a formal complaint most likely the officer will ask if you
>>> contacted the person. I personally would not take legal action against a
>>> neighbor without first discussing the issue. I'm not above the
>>> ultrasound though.:-)
>>

>> Like this? 20 @ 50W each would allow 1 kW of ultrasonics. :)
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/281927114395
>
> Holy shit! That oughta to do it >:-}
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Wonder what the police will think when everyone on your block is
bleeding out the nose.

Jim Thompson

Feb 12, 2016, 6:35:59 PM2/12/16
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 18:31:58 -0500, Tom Biasi <tomb...@optonline.net>
wrote:
Sno-o-o-ort >:-}

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 12, 2016, 6:37:03 PM2/12/16

Tom Biasi wrote:

> Wonder what the police will think when everyone on your block is
> bleeding out the nose.

You don't run it continuously.

Joe Hey

Feb 12, 2016, 9:44:46 PM2/12/16
Now we're talking!
Use the piezo's as a microphone array.
IF bark
THEN copy phase relationship;
engage amplifiers.

That should smack the dog right on the middle of his head. :)

joe

Joe Hey

Feb 12, 2016, 9:48:28 PM2/12/16
On 2016-02-07, Lasse Langwadt Christensen <lang...@fonz.dk> wrote:
> Den lørdag den 6. februar 2016 kl. 23.10.17 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:
>> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
>> Ultrasound?
>>

> remove batteries from hearing aid? ;)

Where are the hearing aids with anti-sound silencer?

joe

> -Lasse

Rheilly Phoull

Feb 13, 2016, 12:24:55 AM2/13/16
On 8/02/2016 4:01 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 13:53:23 -0500, Martin Riddle
> <marti...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 15:09:53 -0700, Jim Thompson
>> <To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Any clever ideas on how to silence a neighbor's barking dog?
>>> Ultrasound?
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>>
>> Get a cat.
>>
>> Our neighbors dog would freak out, and run back and forth barking at
>> our cat who just sat there on the our side of the fence.
>> The neighbors eventually got rid of the dog ;)
>>
>> Cheers
>
> We had a Burmese cat that the male Dachshund was fond of sneaking up
> on and bowling him over from the side.
>
> One day the Dachsy bowled over the cat and the cat spun around and bit
> the end of his tail, which bled profusely.
>
> The Dachsy never again bothered the cat ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

We had a pair of Siamese who would go out together and round up some
happless pooch and bail it up in a corner and then sit there enjoying
it's discomfort or terror.

Bob Masta

Feb 13, 2016, 9:04:37 AM2/13/16
I am *very* skeptical about the "50 watt RMS" claim on
these. I couldn't find any manufacturer's info, the
tweeters come from China, and the only sellers were on Ebay.

Also, I didn't see any claim about frequency response, even
in the audio range, let alone ultrasonics. (Some piezos
that I've used do have reasonable output above 20 kHz, but
with wild dips and peaks.)

This looks to me like just another inflated audio spec,
especially given that the tweeters look like they could
handle a few watts at most, before going up in smoke.

If there is any validity to the "50 watt" spec, it is
probably from the fairly common approach of advertising the
power of the amp that drives the whole audio range. In such
a case for "normal" music, etc, almost all of the power is
going to be used by the woofer. If you set the crossover
frequency high enough, the audio power to be handled by the
tweeter is pretty small.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v9.00
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
FREE 8-channel Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator
Science with your sound card!

dca...@krl.org

Feb 13, 2016, 10:35:57 AM2/13/16
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 9:04:37 AM UTC-5, Bob Masta wrote:

> I am *very* skeptical about the "50 watt RMS" claim on
> these. I couldn't find any manufacturer's info, the
> tweeters come from China, and the only sellers were on Ebay.
>

> Bob Masta

Just for drill , I searched on the internet and found some sellers that were not on Ebay, but not a link to the manufacturer.

But I did find a post by someone that said using them with a signal generator did not work to change dogs behaviour.

Dan

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 13, 2016, 7:05:41 PM2/13/16
Of course it won't work. That's why I need to build an ultrasonic
power amp. Most 'signal generators' only put out a few milliwatts. For
instance: The HP 651 A/B only put out three volts RMS into a 50 Ohm
load. Piezo tweeters are a capacitive load at around 1K ohm. How
efficient will a common audio grade function generator be, with that
20:1 or worse mismatch?

With Option 002 (HV Output), the HP3325 A/B will put out 40 volts
P-P, at up to 40 mA. Even with a 40 V P-P output, that still isn't
enough drive for any decent output. I have seen these speakers
connected across the primary of a singe ended tube amp, with just a
capacitor to block the DC voltage. They do not require a crossover, and
you can connect them in parallel, or series parallel for larger arrays.
A 50 ohm resistor in series with each speaker is recommended, to limit
current if you go too far above the rated frequency.

These are the speakers I bought, but the OEM doesn't give any specs.

<http://www.nipponamerica.com/nippon-america?product_id=1473&sort=pd.name&order=DESC&page=5&limit=100>

Their catlog is here: http://www.nipponamerica.com/na-catalog

They are 3.5" * 3.5", 30W and for use across a four to eight ohm speaker
according to the OEM catalog. They are rated 5 to 20 KHz. The specs
look like they were written by someone without a clue. When I have the
time, I will connect one across my HP3325A, and another to a scope to
check the frequency response, and to find any peaks or dips.

I saw several people attempted to use an old stereo amp, but most
will go up in smoke before they will provide a usable ultrasonic output.

rickman

Feb 13, 2016, 7:21:09 PM2/13/16
Why would an ultrasonic sound impress a dog? If you want to stop a dog
from barking set off a stick of dynamite or drop a car from a couple of
stories up. They respond more to sounds that indicate a large size is
generating them. The higher the pitch, the smaller the source sounds.
They will think your tweeters are a bunch of baby birds.

--

Rick

Bill Beaty

Feb 13, 2016, 7:40:54 PM2/13/16

> Ultrasound?

A colleague here at the UW build an array of 30-watt tweeters to aim at the neighbor barking dog.

Immediately he half-destroyed his hearing on one side. Permanent tinnitus. Never even finished the device.

Once I was working with a PZT disk transducer from a welder. Few watts input, 40KHz. After about ten minutes I had squealing tinnitus in both ears. It took about an hour for it to go away again. Enclosed the xducer in a sealed mayonnaise jar.

You should pray nightly to never receive an internal RF burn ...or any ultrasound hearing damage.

dca...@krl.org

Feb 13, 2016, 8:02:34 PM2/13/16
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 7:05:41 PM UTC-5, Michael Terrell wrote:
> "dca...@krl.org" wrote:
> >

> > But I did find a post by someone that said using them with a signal generator did not work to change dogs behaviour.
>

> Of course it won't work. That's why I need to build an ultrasonic
> power amp. Most 'signal generators' only put out a few milliwatts. For
> instance: The HP 651 A/B only put out three volts RMS into a 50 Ohm
> load. Piezo tweeters are a capacitive load at around 1K ohm. How
> efficient will a common audio grade function generator be, with that
> 20:1 or worse mismatch?

The post mentioned what he was using to drive the speakers. But I did not check to see exactly what kind of a device it was. I said " signal generator " because it obviously generated a signal , but I do not think it was a lab signal generator. Now I can not find the post.

Dan

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 13, 2016, 8:22:59 PM2/13/16
1: It will be mounted outdoors. I will be inside.

2: It will be pulsed, not CW. The pulse will be the same length as the
bark, or even shorter.

3: I already have long term tinnitus.

4: I have worked with 195 KW of UHF RF.

5: I doubt that dogs can hear 40 KHz. The transducers I have are rated
to around 20 KHz. I've seen dogs go nuts from the squeal of the
horizontal sweep of NTSC TVs at 15,734.34 Hz, when a yoke was singing.

rickman

Feb 14, 2016, 10:50:09 PM2/14/16
By "go nuts" you most likely mean start barking like they are mad?
Seems counter productive.

--

Rick

srober...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2016, 11:31:46 AM2/15/16
There is always resulting to "SDI"

http://williamson-labs.com/sdi.htm

I like playing back the bark with the 100 mS delay.

But I think Jim should just adopt the dog. Its obvious the neighbor does not love his/her animal or they would fix the barking issue as best they can. Either that or the dog rules the humans. Dogs bark when they are lonely, have anxiety, or just to find the location of other dogs.

My bet is Jim could give it a better home...

Note on the SDI website is a link to a professional ultrasonic system, known to work, and 229$ is not that much, compared to the R&D effort.

Steve

Jim Thompson

Feb 15, 2016, 11:34:49 AM2/15/16
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:31:33 -0800 (PST), srober...@gmail.com
wrote:

>There is always resulting to "SDI"
>
>http://williamson-labs.com/sdi.htm
>
>I like playing back the bark with the 100 mS delay.
>
>But I think Jim should just adopt the dog. Its obvious the neighbor does not love his/her animal or they would fix the barking issue as best they can. Either that or the dog rules the humans. Dogs bark when they are lonely, have anxiety, or just to find the location of other dogs.
>
>My bet is Jim could give it a better home...

My dogs and cat slept under the covers at my feet ;-)

>Note on the SDI website is a link to a professional ultrasonic system, known to work, and 229$ is not that much, compared to the R&D effort.
>
>Steve

I'll check out that link, Thanks, Steve!

srober...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2016, 11:51:13 AM2/15/16
As I read further into this, "pros" use super-soaker squirt guns or water sprinklers and a cueing/reward system.

Barking gets excessive, command is given to :Shush:
If command fails, porch light comes on or a clicker is used as a cue.
If barking continues, water commences.
Once water silences the dog, reward dog for quiet, repeat for offending.

Commercial systems are sold for this for Kennels, and evidently it works.
Although my late Border Collie (too smart) would have tripped this thing just to cool off in the summer.

Steve

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Feb 15, 2016, 12:58:38 PM2/15/16
Set up old slightly more directional bass speakers pointed at the dog
AND his owner's house. Each bark results in low frequency pulsations that
border on window shattering. The dog's ears will not like irt, The dog's
owner will not like it, and eventually will get the message conditioned
into him like a pavlovian march tune. Let *him* figure out how to shut
the dog the fuck up. Until then, the bass beatings will continue...

rickman

Feb 15, 2016, 8:03:19 PM2/15/16
On 2/15/2016 11:31 AM, srober...@gmail.com wrote:
> There is always resulting to "SDI"
>
> http://williamson-labs.com/sdi.htm
>
> I like playing back the bark with the 100 mS delay.

Why would that accomplish anything. Likely the dog would think there is
an echo or another dog, neither will make him want to quit barking.

--

Rick

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 17, 2016, 3:28:57 PM2/17/16
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251046994263

28KHz-60W-Watt-Ultrasonic-Cleane-Transducer-Power-Drive-Module-110V-

tabb...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2016, 4:19:12 AM2/18/16
On Saturday, 13 February 2016 14:04:37 UTC, Bob Masta wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:57:22 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >Like this? 20 @ 50W each would allow 1 kW of ultrasonics. :)
> >
> >http://www.ebay.com/itm/281927114395
>
> I am *very* skeptical about the "50 watt RMS" claim on
> these. I couldn't find any manufacturer's info, the
> tweeters come from China, and the only sellers were on Ebay.
>
> Also, I didn't see any claim about frequency response, even
> in the audio range, let alone ultrasonics. (Some piezos
> that I've used do have reasonable output above 20 kHz, but
> with wild dips and peaks.)

ISTR piezo tweeters being fairly wild below 20kHz as well

NT

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Feb 18, 2016, 4:24:35 AM2/18/16
On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 01:18:59 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

snip

>> Also, I didn't see any claim about frequency response, even in the
>> audio range, let alone ultrasonics. (Some piezos that I've used do
>> have reasonable output above 20 kHz, but with wild dips and peaks.)
>
> ISTR piezo tweeters being fairly wild below 20kHz as well
>

> NT

High pitch would cause them to whine and bark more.

My low freq solution hurts the poor doggy's ears (pain not damage)and
once they associate it with their barking behavior they will stop like
Pavlov proved. Every time. It also has the added effect of rattling the
owner's windows and give him motivation to condition the dog to STFU as
well.

Bill Beaty

Feb 20, 2016, 12:30:55 AM2/20/16
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 5:22:59 PM UTC-8, Michael Terrell wrote:

> 1: It will be mounted outdoors. I will be inside.

While working on it?

His damage happened while building it. Just turn it on very briefly indoors, while debugging. Just a brief burst, less than a second. Oops, permanent hearing damage.

Many tens of watts of ultrasound: don't listen to it even once, even briefly.

> 5: I doubt that dogs can hear 40 KHz.

No, the permanent damage was from ?25K?

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 20, 2016, 2:00:35 PM2/20/16

Bill Beaty wrote:

> On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 5:22:59 PM UTC-8, Michael Terrell wrote:
>
> > 1: It will be mounted outdoors. I will be inside.
>
> While working on it?

Yes. Would you like to be the test subject?

> His damage happened while building it. Just turn it on very briefly indoors, while debugging. Just a brief burst, less than a second. Oops, permanent hearing damage.
>
> Many tens of watts of ultrasound: don't listen to it even once, even briefly.

Sigh. Only a fool would test it indoors, and with the speakers in
the same room. The amp would be tested into a dummy load, not
speakers. You can buy high power 50 ohm dummy loads. I've seen them
rated at 800W. Parallel six of them, on a nice heatsink and you will
have a 4800W load at slightly over eight ohms.

> > 5: I doubt that dogs can hear 40 KHz.
>
> No, the permanent damage was from ?25K?

I found the specs on my speakers. They are rated to 27 KHz.

Wayne Chirnside

Feb 20, 2016, 4:54:32 PM2/20/16
All Chinese specs are wildly exaggerated in my experience however they do
offer some good deals on electronics if you're careful in your buying
expectations.

Anyhow I once DID build an ultrasonic device with 70 watt rated Pioneer
piezo speaker and measured the drive current at 12 volts at 9 amps for
short bursts of digitally generated dual swept sine waves.

In the audio spectrum it stunned in unimaginable disorientation, the
ultrasonic being a dog lover I never did test out.
However Pioneer 30 years ago seemed respectable in their claims.

Wayne Chirnside

Feb 20, 2016, 4:59:45 PM2/20/16
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 18:29:10 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

> Jim Thompson wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:57:22 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
>> <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> >Like this? 20 @ 50W each would allow 1 kW of ultrasonics. :)
>> >
>> >http://www.ebay.com/itm/281927114395
>>
>> Holy shit! That oughta to do it >:-}
>
> I bought a better deal awhile back. I got 50 of them for $39,95,
> delivered. Now I just need to finish designing that 2500W ultrasonic
> amp. I'll feed it from my HP3325A function generator, and set to sweep
> through the range that dogs can hear. I will use a bark detector to
> trigger it. On bark = one sweep, then switch it off.

Now I never thought to trigger on bark.
Negative reenforcement, I like.

dca...@krl.org

Feb 20, 2016, 7:09:59 PM2/20/16
On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 4:59:45 PM UTC-5, Wayne Chirnside wrote:

> Now I never thought to trigger on bark.
> Negative reenforcement, I like.

Negative reinforcement does not work well. It will work for temporary changes, but not for permanent changes.

Dan

tabb...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2016, 1:00:12 AM2/21/16
the only thing it'll do is wind the dog up big time. And likely permanently injure the dog. And anyone else that gets in the way. And if the owner ever twigs, quite likely engage their unbridled rage. And open the OP to criminal charge. In all a truly stupid idea. Sorry but it is.

NT

rickman

Feb 22, 2016, 3:02:45 PM2/22/16
Why is that negative reinforcement and not positive?

--

Rick

Ralph Mowery

Feb 22, 2016, 3:16:03 PM2/22/16

"rickman" <gnu...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> amp. I'll feed it from my HP3325A function generator, and set to sweep
>>> through the range that dogs can hear. I will use a bark detector to
>>> trigger it. On bark = one sweep, then switch it off.
>>
>> Now I never thought to trigger on bark.
>> Negative reenforcement, I like.
>
> Why is that negative reinforcement and not positive?

Negative is when you want an animal (person) to stop doing something.
Positive is when you want them to do something.

If you wanted to teach the dog to bark at something, you give them a treet
when they bark at the correct thing. That would be the positive .

rickman

Feb 22, 2016, 3:48:13 PM2/22/16
I know what positive and negative reinforcement are.

"Negative reinforcement occurs when the rate of a behavior increases
because an aversive event or stimulus is removed or prevented from
happening."

"Positive reinforcement occurs when a desirable event or stimulus is
presented as a consequence of a behavior and the behavior increases."

I'm asking you how you know just how the dog will perceive the noise.
What makes you think the noise won't make the animal bark *more*?
Haven't you ever heard one dog start barking in response to another dog
bark?

--

Rick