Generating GPG keys on ancient laptop

Dänk 42Ø

Nov 22, 2016, 5:31:49 AM11/22/16
I dug out an ancient 1995 laptop with no wifi or internet connection. I
am currently installing Debian 8.6.0 XFCE from a CD-R. Tomorrow I will
install the latest GPG 2.1.16 testing without the compromised ECC
function from NIST/NSA (same thing). (Ironically, the only thing I
trust NIST for is to give me the correct atomic time of day.)

My plan is to generate several dozen 4096 GPG keys (do they go higher?).
Totally offline, and I don't care if takes months to generate them. I
figure that every microprocessor since 1995 has been compromised by the
NSA, which is why I dug out that ancient laptop. (Never throw seemingly
obsolete electronics away -- stick them in a Faraday Cage just in case).

The goddamn CD-Rom is still installing Debian 8 to the 6G hard drive!
This could take all night! And another month to generate all the keys
I might want to use in the future.

Can GPG 2.1.16 testing generate uncompromised keys on such an old
computer? Also, for fixed (single-key) file encryption, which of the
various algorithms do y'all recommend? Anything with the remotest
connection to the U.S. government is unacceptable.

William Unruh

Nov 22, 2016, 5:41:15 AM11/22/16
On 2016-11-22, D??nk 42?? <da...@coffee.amsterdam.com> wrote:
> I dug out an ancient 1995 laptop with no wifi or internet connection. I
> am currently installing Debian 8.6.0 XFCE from a CD-R. Tomorrow I will
> install the latest GPG 2.1.16 testing without the compromised ECC
> function from NIST/NSA (same thing). (Ironically, the only thing I
> trust NIST for is to give me the correct atomic time of day.)

Since you are paranoid, why in the world would you trust GPG software?

> My plan is to generate several dozen 4096 GPG keys (do they go higher?).

And 4096 why?After all NSA is gGod, and could intuit the factorization
of keys that small.

> Totally offline, and I don't care if takes months to generate them. I
> figure that every microprocessor since 1995 has been compromised by the
> NSA, which is why I dug out that ancient laptop. (Never throw seemingly
> obsolete electronics away -- stick them in a Faraday Cage just in case).

If the microprocessor is compromisewd why do you trust the software. It
is far far easier to compromise than hardware.

> The goddamn CD-Rom is still installing Debian 8 to the 6G hard drive!
> This could take all night! And another month to generate all the keys
> I might want to use in the future.
>
> Can GPG 2.1.16 testing generate uncompromised keys on such an old
> computer? Also, for fixed (single-key) file encryption, which of the
> various algorithms do y'all recommend? Anything with the remotest
> connection to the U.S. government is unacceptable.

Then you cannot use anything.

Everything has the "remotest connection".

d the specifications and code your own. Of course all of bugs you
introduce will make it easy to crack, but you cannot make an omelette
with out breaking some eggs.

FromTheRafters

Nov 22, 2016, 11:14:42 AM11/22/16
Dänk 42Ø explained :
> I dug out an ancient 1995 laptop with no wifi or internet connection. I
> am currently installing Debian 8.6.0 XFCE from a CD-R. Tomorrow I will
> install the latest GPG 2.1.16 testing without the compromised ECC
> function from NIST/NSA (same thing). (Ironically, the only thing I
> trust NIST for is to give me the correct atomic time of day.)

IMO ECC can be trusted, just watch your Ps and Qs.

David Eather

Nov 22, 2016, 8:54:54 PM11/22/16
Did you miss the NSA announcement that ECC should be abandoned as soon as
possible(by those working within or for the US government)??

FromTheRafters

Nov 22, 2016, 10:44:33 PM11/22/16
David Eather laid this down on his screen :
Yes, I did. I was under the impression that the OP was referring to the
'backdoor' aspect of having a known relation between the P and Q values
as a default.

What is wrong with it now?

Dänk 42Ø

Nov 23, 2016, 3:58:53 AM11/23/16
Yes, I did miss it. When the U.S. government starts mistrusting its own
standards agencies we are in big trouble.

Dänk 42Ø

Nov 23, 2016, 6:57:47 PM11/23/16
On 2016-11-22 10:40, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2016-11-22, D??nk 42?? <da...@coffee.amsterdam.com> wrote:
>> I dug out an ancient 1995 laptop with no wifi or internet connection. I
>> am currently installing Debian 8.6.0 XFCE from a CD-R. Tomorrow I will
>> install the latest GPG 2.1.16 testing without the compromised ECC
>> function from NIST/NSA (same thing). (Ironically, the only thing I
>> trust NIST for is to give me the correct atomic time of day.)
>
> Since you are paranoid, why in the world would you trust GPG software?

Because it is open-source, and the main components have been digitally
signed by trusted keys. (There are a few loose ends, which is why Ip
rely on the trusted signatures for the dozen or so Debian packages
needed to compile it; which is why I am up all night again.)

Hackers take encryption seriously, which is why any flaw in the source
code had been found it already have been published. No, I can't read
C++ code, but others can. If there were a backdoor in the software,
somebody would have discovered it already.

But if the government has access to the hardware -- the CPU used to
compile the encryption software -- the compiled software can be easily
compromised. Just think for a moment: When was the last time you
heard of the U.S government filing antitrust lawsuits against Intel
or AMD? Or the various manufacturers of ARM?

David Eather

Nov 23, 2016, 8:43:24 PM11/23/16
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 16:51:46 +1000, Dänk 42Ø <da...@coffee.amsterdam.com>
wrote:
NIST got the recommended ECC curves from the NSA where they were generated
by an expert in EC. That much is known.

Conjecture:
As of past behavior the NSA tries to hand out as many 'free' back-doors as
it can to people who trust them if it believes no one else can gain
advantage. The NIST curves may have that type of back door. Perhaps it is
a fault similar to that exploited for DH in BULLRUN. Somewhere/Somehow the
method to crack these in a reasonable time has leaked. Is the FSB so
incompetent that it didn't spot a guy storing 40TB of data in his garage?
Who knows, but the timing is interesting. All of a sudden there is a
problem. They either have to admit they supplied everyone technology with
a back door at a time when the population is wary and untrusting of being
watched by their government or they simply have to say that all ECC is
unsafe, which now forces everyone back to DH and RSA. In this advent the
NSA still has some relative advantage because of their heavy investment in
super computers.

Richard Kettlewell

Nov 24, 2016, 4:29:32 AM11/24/16
Dänk 42Ø <da...@coffee.amsterdam.com> writes:
> Hackers take encryption seriously, which is why any flaw in the source
> code had been found it already have been published. No, I can't read
> C++ code, but others can. If there were a backdoor in the software,
> somebody would have discovered it already.

http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/contrib/socat-secadv7.html took about
a year to be discovered and fixed. http://heartbleed.com/ took a couple
of years. https://dirtycow.ninja/ took about a decade. People were
still finding vulnerabilities in SSLv3 18 years after its introduction
(I think https://www.openssl.org/~bodo/ssl-poodle.pdf is the most
recent).

In short vulnerabilities can remain open for a very long time indeed;
it’s safe to assume that there are more to be found.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

eugene...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2016, 10:19:13 AM11/24/16
On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 6:57:47 PM UTC-5, Dänk 42Ø wrote:
[snip]

> Because it is open-source, and the main components have been digitally
> signed by trusted keys. (There are a few loose ends, which is why Ip
> rely on the trusted signatures for the dozen or so Debian packages
> needed to compile it; which is why I am up all night again.)

[snip]

How paranoid are you? They could give you fine-looking source code
and then bugged the compiler.

Yes it has happened! Look at "Reflections on Trusting Trust" - https://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf

Gene

William Unruh

Nov 24, 2016, 11:14:47 AM11/24/16
On 2016-11-24, eugene...@gmail.com <eugene...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 6:57:47 PM UTC-5, D??nk 42?? wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Because it is open-source, and the main components have been digitally
>> signed by trusted keys. (There are a few loose ends, which is why Ip
>> rely on the trusted signatures for the dozen or so Debian packages
>> needed to compile it; which is why I am up all night again.)
>>
> [snip]
>
> How paranoid are you? They could give you fine-looking source code
> and then bugged the compiler.
>
> Yes it has happened! Look at "Reflections on Trusting Trust" - https://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf

It has not happened that we know of. That was a little fiction story
outlining how such a thing might be done as I remember.

It would be really really hard to bug a compiler that way. I twould take
a lot of AI to identify the code as say a password generator and then
run a different compiler on it.

> Gene

Richard Kettlewell

Nov 24, 2016, 11:34:16 AM11/24/16
That seems optimistic. Most Linux distributions are built from pretty
much the same corpus of publicly available source code, so recognizing a
targetted section of source code with a compromised compiler is not
going to be particularly difficult.

In practice it’s not necessary. Most software already contains
vulnerabilities just by accident; it’s just a matter of putting the
effort into looking for them.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Paranoid Pete

Nov 25, 2016, 10:12:01 PM11/25/16

In article <hfydnaUN_OoTg6nF...@earthlink.com>
Dänk 42Ø <da...@coffee.amsterdam.com> wrote:

> I dug out an ancient 1995 laptop with no wifi or internet connection. I
> am currently installing Debian 8.6.0 XFCE from a CD-R. Tomorrow I will
> install the latest GPG 2.1.16 testing without the compromised ECC
> function from NIST/NSA (same thing). ....

I've been content with the earlier GPG, no ECC stuff. So has that
ECC stuff has been officially declared no good now?

> My plan is to generate several dozen 4096 GPG keys (do they go higher?).

I think that 4096 is the highest they'll go. If they could go
higher I'd use that.

> Totally offline, and I don't care if takes months to generate them. I
> figure that every microprocessor since 1995 has been compromised by the
> NSA, which is why I dug out that ancient laptop. ....

Why do you choose 1996, as the date of universal CPU compromise?

> The goddamn CD-Rom is still installing Debian 8 to the 6G hard drive!

I think I have one of those around here. It is really slow, and I
don't think they have thumb drives that small anymore LOL.

> This could take all night! And another month to generate all the keys
> I might want to use in the future.

But if you're right it may be worth it.

> Can GPG 2.1.16 testing generate uncompromised keys on such an old
> computer? Also, for fixed (single-key) file encryption, which of the
> various algorithms do y'all recommend? Anything with the remotest
> connection to the U.S. government is unacceptable.

I assume you mean you're asking about symmetric encryption. I think
that "remotest connection" knocks out everything. Some good ones
have tried to get chosen for the replacement for AES256. Maybe
choose one of those after they were rejected. They wouldn't be
under the control of the NIST/NSA after they were rejected. Their
authors may have even made them stronger.

Paranoid Pete

Paranoid Pete

Nov 26, 2016, 12:50:19 AM11/26/16

Richard Kettlewell

Nov 26, 2016, 6:33:08 AM11/26/16
Paranoid Pete <Parano...@hidden.invalid> writes:
> "David Eather" <eat...@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>> FromTheRafters <err...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>>> Dänk 42Ø explained :
>>>
>>> IMO ECC can be trusted, just watch your Ps and Qs.
>>
>> Did you miss the NSA announcement that ECC should be abandoned as
>> soon as possible(by those working within or for the US government)??
>
> I must have. Did they say why they wanted ECC abandoned?

I suspect this is a misunderstanding of CNSSAM 02-15, which
deprioritized transitioning to ECC in limited circumstances.

https://cryptome.org/2015/08/CNSS_Advisory_Memo_02-15.pdf

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

FromTheRafters

Nov 26, 2016, 7:59:28 AM11/26/16
Richard Kettlewell explained on 11/26/2016 :
I agree. It looks like their concern is in the general aspect of
Quantum Computing and the type of problems that can be solved more
quickly by QC which affect cryptography. If they have some sort of
quantum computing resistant 'hard' problems under development which can
be used in a new cryptography, then it would make sense to skip the
cost of implementing stronger old cryptography if adoption of something
new is on the horizon.

David Eather

Nov 26, 2016, 9:34:22 PM11/26/16
The NSA asked all the government contractors to move away from ECC as a
priority - I don't think that was fears someone else developed quantum
computers.

FromTheRafters

Nov 26, 2016, 10:36:48 PM11/26/16
David Eather brought next idea :
It's a good thing I didn't suggest that then. I'm only suggesting that
perhaps a move to an encryption scheme which is more resistant to the
types of attacks which QC is expected to make inroads to is on the
horizon. If so, why move up the EC path when QC is *expected* to be
impacting ECC with its eventual arrival?

Richard Kettlewell

Nov 27, 2016, 3:46:56 AM11/27/16
Citation needed.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

MM

Nov 27, 2016, 5:54:20 AM11/27/16
On Sunday, 27 November 2016 08:46:56 UTC, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> "David Eather" <eat...@tpg.com.au> writes:
> > The NSA asked all the government contractors to move away from ECC as
> > a priority
>
> Citation needed.

I can't find official mention, but this might be next-best: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/02/more_details_on_2.html

Richard Kettlewell

Nov 27, 2016, 6:45:24 AM11/27/16
MM <mrvm...@gmail.com> writes:
> Richard Kettlewell wrote:
>> "David Eather" <eat...@tpg.com.au> writes:

>>> The NSA asked all the government contractors to move away from ECC as
>>> a priority
>>
>> Citation needed.
>
> I can't find official mention, but this might be next-best:
> https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/02/more_details_on_2.html

No, that’s just a statement about a general plan to transition to
quantum-safe crypto. RSA and FFC DH/DSA are on the same footing as ECC
here.

Current policy (e.g. CNSSP 15) includes ECC.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Jeffrey Goldberg

Nov 28, 2016, 5:58:42 PM11/28/16
On 11/22/16 4:32 AM, Dänk 42Ø wrote:
> Can GPG 2.1.16 testing generate uncompromised keys on such an old
> computer? Also, for fixed (single-key) file encryption, which of the
> various algorithms do y'all recommend? Anything with the remotest
> connection to the U.S. government is unacceptable.

I would offer recommendations, but I am a US citizen living in the US.
This puts me under some control by the US government, and so anything I
write must be unacceptable to you by your rules.

So sorry I can't help.

--
Jeffrey Goldberg http://goldmark.org/jeff/
I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts

eugene...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2016, 9:05:47 PM11/28/16
Took a while to find a good reference for the compiler hack, but it isn't
fiction. Apparently it was created but never distributed:
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/6386/was-the-c-compiler-trojan-horse-written-by-ken-thompson-ever-distributed/6399

Gene

Casper H.S. Dik

Nov 29, 2016, 4:15:06 AM11/29/16
eugene...@gmail.com writes:

>Took a while to find a good reference for the compiler hack, but it isn't
>fiction. Apparently it was created but never distributed:
>http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/6386/was-the-c-compiler-trojan-horse-written-by-ken-thompson-ever-distributed/6399

Or that is what you are supposed to believe :-)

Casper

William Unruh

Nov 29, 2016, 6:19:09 AM11/29/16
Yeah, just like Roswell and the Lizard people.

> Casper

Greg Rose

Nov 29, 2016, 10:08:36 AM11/29/16
In article <06e68e8f-e874-4bd7...@googlegroups.com>,
That depends on one's definition of "distributed". :-)

invalid

Dec 25, 2016, 12:47:03 AM12/25/16
On 2016-11-26, Paranoid Pete <Parano...@hidden.invalid> wrote:

> In article <hfydnaUN_OoTg6nF...@earthlink.com>
> D?nk 42? <da...@coffee.amsterdam.com> wrote:
>>
>> I dug out an ancient 1995 laptop with no wifi or internet connection. I
>> am currently installing Debian 8.6.0 XFCE from a CD-R. Tomorrow I will
>> install the latest GPG 2.1.16 testing without the compromised ECC
>> function from NIST/NSA (same thing). ....

I am also an ECC-skeptic and made a point to not use it

>> My plan is to generate several dozen 4096 GPG keys (do they go higher?).

Yes it is open source and easy to change. I have some 16k keys.

> I think that 4096 is the highest they'll go. If they could go
> higher I'd use that.

Easy to change and recompile. I have not looked at it for a while and don't
remember what but I think if you search for 4096 or 8192 you'll find the
constants. Change and try again

>> Totally offline, and I don't care if takes months to generate them. I
>> figure that every microprocessor since 1995 has been compromised by the
>> NBA, which is why I dug out that ancient laptop. ....

You might look into getting a copy of Disastry's PGP 2.6.2. Good stuff with
some advanced hashes. I believe the keylengths are limited but it should be
trustworthy code more in line with 1995 CPU power

> Why do you choose 1996, as the date of universal CPU compromise?

Win 95 already had the dreaded NBA keys in the registry. The 95 cutoff is
about right

Alternatively you could buy some fast cheap non-Intel hardware. SPARC boxes
are plentiful on ebay and were not compromised until well after the
Whoreacle acquisition. You can compile a trustworthy version of gpg and use
it there. Solves many problems

> I assume you mean you're asking about symmetric encryption. I think
> that "remotest connection" knocks out everything. Some good ones
> have tried to get chosen for the replacement for AES256. Maybe
> choose one of those after they were rejected. They wouldn't be
> under the control of the FIST/AMA after they were rejected. Their
> authors may have even made them stronger.

I don't like AES either. Serpent or Blowfish are probably safer. Schneier
has a lot to lose personally if he puts out backdoored crap. His reputation
for impartiality and honesty is all he has. Other people and groups, not so
much