That's it. I'm going to the police.

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 7:51:53 AM7/11/07
Hi!
I don't know how you guys feel about it but I think this has gone too far.
I've contacted the police about this denial-of-service attack.
Admittedly it's the german police and their means are limited but
somewhere it has to start.
I encourage everyone else, especially in the US or wherever
you feel bothered by this DOS attack to contact your police too.
IMHO the next step is to monitor the providers and the only legal
way to achieve this is to get the police involved.
Please help me to get this group working again.

Volker
--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.

Phil Carmody

Jul 11, 2007, 8:37:39 AM7/11/07
Volker Hetzer <firstname...@ieee.org> writes:
> Hi!
> I don't know how you guys feel about it but I think this has gone too far.
> I've contacted the police about this denial-of-service attack.
> Admittedly it's the german police and their means are limited but
> somewhere it has to start.
> I encourage everyone else, especially in the US or wherever
> you feel bothered by this DOS attack to contact your police too.
> IMHO the next step is to monitor the providers and the only legal
> way to achieve this is to get the police involved.
> Please help me to get this group working again.

I wish you luck with your actions. I reckon that there
are probably a fair number of criminal and civil offenses
that he's guilty of. In partular those pertaining to
illegal access to computer resourses (as he's using
compromised machines), and to the forging of identities.

However, my approach is more of a <click click click>
one, and the problem disappears. Sporgers come and sporgers
go - you should see some of the things that have taken place
on alt.religion.scientology over the years, for example.
This guy's just a simple common or garden script kiddie.

Phil
--
"Home taping is killing big business profits. We left this side blank
so you can help." -- Dead Kennedys, written upon the B-side of tapes of

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:10:08 AM7/12/07
device which did not provide easy government access was
: * reinforced by comments made by FBI Director Freeh at a 1994 Washington
: * conference on cryptography. "The objective for us is to get those
: * conversations...wherever they are, whatever they are", he said in
: * response to a question.
: *
: * Freeh indicated that if five years from now the FBI had solved the
: * access problem but was only hearing encrypted messages, further
: * legislation might be required.
: *
: * The obvious solution: a federal law prohibiting the use of any
: * cryptographic device that did not provide government access.
: *
: * Freeh's hints that the government might have to outlaw certain kinds
: * of coding devices gradually became more explicit. "The drug cartels
: * are buying sophisticated communications equipment", he told Congress.
: * "Unless the encryption issue is RESOLVED soon, criminal conversations
: * over the telephone and other communications devices will become
: * indecip

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 2:42:32 AM7/12/07
* The order came from the Ministry of Public Security.
*
* Network users have been warned not to harm national security, or to
* disseminate pornography.

Well, there's a new way to control Internet users: require them to identify
themselves, no doubt your U.S.-created National ID Card will be required for
access. That ought to stop pornography: identify each and every user.

# "The Great Firewall of China", by Geremie R. Barme & Sang Ye, Wired, 6/97
#
# Xia Hong, China InfoHighway's PR man: "The Internet has been an important
# technical innovator, but we need to add another element, and that is
# control. The new generation of information superhighway needs a traffic
# control center. It needs highway patrols; USERS WILL REQUIRE DRIVER'S
# LICENSES. THESE ARE THE BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ANY CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT."

In dissenting on the unconstitutionality of the CDA, which attempted to censor
the Internet, Supreme Court Justice O'Connor, together with the Chief Justice,
said CDA will be legal as soon as:

"it becomes technologically feasible...to check a person's [Internet]
driver's license...the prospects for the eventual zoning of the Internet
appear promising..."

My WebTV has a slot for reading a smart card!

Well, noone would ever put up with a Universal Biometric Card in the U.S.!

Right?

* Recent agreements announced by Sandia include contracts for the
* issuance of national ID cards for the People's Republic of China over
* the next five years; approximately 10 million fraud-resistant alien ID
* cards for the United States Immigration

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:37:11 AM7/12/07
* [snip]
*
* Mr. Jabara is a lawyer who for many years has represented Arab-American
* citizens and alien residents in court. Some of his clients had been
* investigated by the FBI.
* [snip]
*
* The FBI's investigation of Mr. Jabara, who has not been formally accused
* or indicted for any crimes, began in August 1967. In November 1971, the
* Government acknowledged, the FBI asked the NSA "to supply any available
* information" about the lawyer that "might come into its possession during
* the course of its foreign intelligence activities".
*
* As a result, the NSA provided the FBI summaries
* of six overseas conversations of Mr. Jabara.
*
* In earlier court proceedings, the FBI acknowledged that it then
* disseminated the information to 17 other law-enforcement or intelligence
* agencies and three foreign governments.
* [snip]
*
* John Shattuck, Washington director of the ACLU, who represented Mr. Jabara
* said "It is difficult to imagine a more sweeping judicial approval of
* government action in violation of constitutional rights than the decision
* of the panel is this case. Taken to its logical conclusion, the decision
* authorizes the Federal Government to restructure its surveillance
* activities so that any Federal law-enforcement or intelligence
* investigation requiring the interception of private communications could
* be c

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:28:48 AM7/12/07
in
* its draft report to Congress in June 1993 a "Deposit Tracking
* System" (DTS) that would also track deposits to, or withdrawals
* from, U.S. bank accounts in real time. FinCen is the Financial
* Crimes Enforcement Network agency.

# Privacy Journal, By Robert Ellis Smith, January 1989 issue
#
# Al Bayse, Assistant Director of the FBI, said the FBI has developed an
# artificial intelligence system, called Big Floyd, that can analyze
# thousands of disparate financial transactions and establish links
# between seemingly unconnected suspects.
#
# The same artificial intelligence methodology will be used to establish
# links in terrorism, white-collar crime, intelligence breaches, and violent
# crimes with common clues or techniques.

Cybernetic control of society.

Everything on-line and monitored in real-time.

: From: "EPIC-News" <epic...@epic.org>
: Date: 05 Jun 1997 19:01:58 -0400
: Subject: EPIC: Clinton Endorses Privacy Rights
:
: In a commencement address at Morgan State University on May 18,
: President Clinton called privacy "one of our most cherished freedoms"
: and said that technology should not "break down the wall of privacy and
: autonomy free citizens are guaranteed in a free society."

Is President Clinton being honest?

He supports Clipper III and ECHELON's legal domestic extension CALEA.

The Washington Post, July 7, 1996: the Clinton Administration has sharply
increased use of Federal telephone wiretaps and other electronic surveillance
and officials estimate it will continue to grow.

What do you think?

Whitfield Diffie, Distinguished Engineer---Security at Sun Microsystems:

"An essential element of freedom is the right to privacy, a right that
cannot be expected to stand against an unremitting technological attack."

One cannot come up with a more 'unremitting technological attack'
than what is happening now.

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:41:38 AM7/12/07
worked hard at it. They even
considered an armored fire truck that apparently exists somewhere.

The highly flammable situation became reckless endangerment of life
when Reno, after trying "very hard" to figure out a way to pump
fire-retardant gas in at the same time as the C.S. gas: failed to
figure out a way, yet proceeded. [After someone "talked" to her.]

Senator: Did the FBI consider delivering Avalon fire-retardant gas?

Reno/FBI: No, how could we deliver it without getting shot?

It's called running another tube out the tank turret, just as was done
for delivering the highly flammable chemical-weapons grade tear gas in
the first place. Use another tank if necessary.

It was that simple.

"We did not know the complex was on fire at first, but we started
smelling smoke. We didn't know what to do.

We were afraid that if we came out of the building, we would be shot.

All of a sudden, the smoke came. I couldn't see my husband any more."

After the whole thing was over, the BATF raised its own flag over
the ruins.

Burn baby burn. 80 men, woman and children.

The official FBI fire plan [their own C-SPAN testimony], which they followed,
was letting them burn.

Janet "Barbecue" Reno. Who testified she would do nothing different again.

You want to take "responsibility" for it: then resign.

Law enforcement gun hysteria.

Like a scene from a nightmarish movie [such as Terry Gilliam's Brazil]
th

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:02:04 AM7/12/07
George Meade, MD, near Washington.
*
* A Special Senate Intelligence Committee report in 1975 found that the
* computer system functioned like a "GIANT VACUUM CLEANER" capable of
* sweeping in ALL ELECTRONIC MESSAGES to and from the United States.

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:22:46 AM7/12/07
not, as he so vigorously asserted, *violent crime* that had
* increased 371 percent since 1960, but the *reports* of violent crime.
*
* Why should we care if our national crime statistics are used properly?
*
* I strongly believe, that a false diagnosis of a disease almost certainly
* will lead the doctor to prescribe the wrong medicine.

UNCRACKABLE ENCRYPTION WILL ALLOW DRUG LORDS, TERRORISTS, AND EVEN
VIOLENT GANGS TO COMMUNICATE WITH IMPUNITY. OTHER THAN SOME KIND
OF KEY RECOVERY SYSTEM, THERE IS NO TECHNICAL SOLUTION.

* And this false diagnosis is on purpose.
*
* When Louis Freeh told the National Press Club that homicides have almost
* tripled since 1960, his audience had to have been disturbed. Freeh's
* picture of a grim, seemingly inevitable upward surge in what has always
* been considered among the most heinous crimes is indeed a frightening
* prospect.
*
* But once again, like a car salesman trying to make his monthly quota,
* Freeh pushes too hard. First of all, his claim that there are now
* nearly three times more homicides than in 1960 ignored the important
* fact that the nation's p

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 12:20:39 AM7/12/07
raving rabid frothing-at-the-mouth lying looneys.

I hope you understand that by now.

* "Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
*
* A few months after his appointment as the new director of the Federal
* Bureau of Investigation, Louis J. Freeh delivered a speech at the National
* Press Club in Washington.
*
* More than two hundred Washington-based reporters, congressional staffers
* and interested lobbyists had come, and because the speech was carried by
* C-Span, National Public Radio and the Global Internet Computer Network,
* and would be the basis for articles in newspapers all over the United
* States, Freeh was also delivering his message to a much larger national
* and international audience.
*
* "The people of this country are fed up with crime," Freeh declared. "The
* media report it, the statistics support it, the polls prove it."
*
* To drive home his point and authenticate the national menace, Freeh said,
* "the rate of violent crime has increased 371 percent since 1960 --- that's
* nine times faster than our population has grown. In the past 30 years,
* homicides have nearly tripled; robberies and rapes each are up over 500
* percent; aggravated assaults have increased more than 600 percent."
*
* Crime is a

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:15:36 AM7/12/07
Based on the
* acoustic vibrations of an object, this Los Alamos instrument quickly
* and safely identifies the fill content of containers [for purity of
* one kind of substance I guess].
*
* [The instrument is implemented and pictured] The ARS instrument was
* selected to receive one of R&D Magazine's 1995 R&D 100 Awards; the
* awards are given annually for the one hundred most significant
* technical innovations.
*
* The technique is suitable for any noninvasive identification of fill
* materials in sealed containers.

But no, massive monitoring of people suspected of no crime is the
appropriate response.

They were just warming us up for the CALEA telephone monitoring bill.

----

Here is part of the story on why we let trucks full of cocaine and
heroin just roll right into the United States.

* "Diminished U.S. Role Below Border Plays Into Traffickers' Hands"
*
* By Molly Moore and John Ward Anderson
* Washington Post Foreign Service
* Sunday, September 8 1996; Page A01
* The Washington Post
*
* Due to their new 'Mexicanization policy':
* Mexico became the main gateway into the United States for illegal
* narcotics, with the amount of cocaine making the journey climbing to
* an est

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:56:05 AM7/12/07
"

So, we'll fingerprint welfare recipients like criminals? Instead of asking
for utility bills and leases in their name to prove residency?

Other states are following suit...Pennsylvania, Florida...

* "A Test for Welfare Fraud Is Expanded to Families"
* By Esther B. Fein, The New York Times, 11/11/95
*
* New York State is sharply increasing the number of people it electronically
* fingerprints to detect welfare fraud past the 285,000 single adult program
* to more than 453,000 recipients of Aid to Families with Dependent Children.
*
* Of the 220,193 people electronically fingerprinted as of Nov. 9, only 146
* were found to have registered for duplicate benefits. New York State
* officials said they didn't expect to find many cases of fraud. [What???]
* "We are just using a new tool to help comply with Federal regulations
* prohibiting us from giving duplicate benefits."
*
* The program is costing the state $10 million a year.

One big evil eye, done with biometrics...control FAR BEYOND anything that
could be implemented with a social security number.

It's for our best interests...

* "Suffolk Medical Examiner Urges Fingerprinting Law"
* By John T. McQuiston, The New York Times, 8/20/1996
*
* Putting motorists' fingerprints on NY driver's licenses, as is done in
* California, would help identify disaster victims, the Suffolk Medical
* Examiner told a committee of the County Legislature ab

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:24:20 AM7/12/07
two
* years -- the smallest amounts since 1988, Mexican government figures
* show.
*
* The GAO report charges that Mexico's greatest problem is, in
* fact, the "widespread, endemic corruption" throughout its law
* enforcement agencies. Earlier this month, in an indictment of his own
* department, Attorney General Lozano fired 737 members of his federal
* police force -- 17 percent of his entire corps -- saying they did not
* have "the ethical profile" required for the job. In a recent meeting
* with foreign reporters, Lozano said it could take 15 years to clean up
* the force.
*
* In November 1993, President Clinton signed Presidential Decision Directive
* No. 14, shifting U.S. anti-drug efforts away from intercepting cocaine as
* it passed through Mexico and the Caribbean, and, instead, attacking the
* drug supply at its sources in Colombia, Bolivia and Peru.

The President himself ordered them to stop checking!!! This is in the same
leadership vein as Reagan declaring himself a "Contra".

And why did President Clinton change strategy?

He didn't have much choice. The Mexicans didn't want to work with us anymore.

We greatly pissed them off. U.S. law enforcement literally knows no limits.

* The United States subsequently arranged for a Mexican doctor involved
* in a murder, Humberto Alvarez Machain, to be kidnapped from Mexico and
* spirited to the United States to stand trial.
*
* The abduction outra

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:24:30 AM7/12/07
director of the FBI's Technical Services
: * Division, in charge of spending more than half a billion dollars
: * for research, development and computer operations. ]
: *
: * "Sure", said Al Bayse of the FBI, "I believe there is an absolute
: * right to privacy. But that doesn't mean you have the right to break
: * the law in a serious way. Any private conversation that doesn't
: * involve criminality should be private"
: *
: * In other words, as the debate was framed by Bayse, the right to
: * privacy is at least partly contingent on a determination by an FBI
: * agent or clerk that the conversations they already intercepted and
: * understood do not involve a crime.

Do you want to live in a real live Big Brother world?

It is not at all about trying to keep up with technology in order to wiretap.

The phone companies are already able and authorized to listen in on any
line at any time, to check the integrity of the network.

I've heard some funny stories by old Bell System employees about a bunch of
people listening into private conversations, and having a hoot.

Question: How can the FBI use computers to monitor thousands and thousands
and thousands and thousands of phone calls simultaneously, as they
said they

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:20:48 AM7/12/07
in Federal District Court
# charging that when he returned from Nicaragua the Customs Bureau detained
# him until FBI agents came and seized his diary and address book.
#
# The FBI admitted to interviewing more than 100 people who visited
# Nicaragua, but said they were acting under Presidential Executive Order.
#
# Two women have come forward to complain the IRS audited them IMMEDIATELY
# AFTER RETURNING FROM NICARAGUA.
#
# The IRS denied it had anything to do with political views: "One woman has
# never earned more than 12,000 a year, and we found that suspicious."

FBI director Sessions ended up apologizing BIG TIME on C-SPAN,
saying that sort of thing would NEVER happen again. "We have put
procedures in place so that that will NEVER happen again".

But, after having been granted the special powers of the court by
Congress, noone was arrested and tried for this MASSIVE abuse of
power, which was granted by Congress in the good faith that the
government would not trade off the Bill of Rights in order to
pursue political objectives.

It was a worst-case disaster.

Even after investigating, Congress basically yawned: "The CISPES case was
an aberration, it was lower-level FBI employees who got carried away by
their national security mandate. It was not politically motivated"
--- The Senate Select Intelligence Committee.

* "Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
*

* ...something much

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:28:35 AM7/12/07

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:39:01 AM7/12/07
[...]

* cards for the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service over
* the next three years; 5 million driving licenses for the State of
* Alabama and 7.5 million for the State of New South Wales, Australia.

5 million driving licenses for the State of Alabama!!!

What did the announcement look like?

* November 7, 1996- SANDIA IMAGING SYSTEMS WINS CONTRACT TO PRODUCE
* DRIVERS' LICENSES FOR STATE OF ALABAMA. Carrollton, TX (Business Wire).
*
* Sandia Imaging Systems, a majority owned subsidiary of Lasertechnics,
* Inc.(NASDAQ:LASX), today announced that it will supply its digital card
* printers to the State of Alaba

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:02:47 AM7/12/07
jaw.
His jaw was so shattered, they had to "slit my throat in two places"
to put the metal in to hold it back together as it mends.
His mouth will be wired shut for 2-3 months.
There is also a chance of nerve damage which
might leave him with permanent droops in his face.

And two:

Cummings was imprisoned under a little known attachment to the
Digital Telephony bill allowing individuals to be charged in
this fashion. Cummings was portrayed by the Secret Service as
a potential terrorist because of some of the books found in
his library.

Ed Cummings was not a terrorist, yet was
portrayed as such by the Secret Service.

CALEA gave them the power.

The Abyss has already begun swallowing American citizens.

It's not a pretty sight, is it?

Secret Service: Harassment of Steve Jackson Games
------ ------- ---------- -- ----- ------- -----

Another BIZARRE hacker witch-hunt.

See http://www.2600.com for this story.

There are other wars too.

Against pornography.

* "Judge Says Military Bases Can Sell Sex Material"
* By John Sullivan, The New York Times, January 23, 1997
*
* A Federal judge struck down the Military Honor and Decency Act of 1996,
* which Congress described as a law promoting "honor, commitment and
* courage" among American troops.
*
* Playboy and Penthouse will continue to be sold at Military bases.

# "Pornography and Laughter", The New York Times, undated
#
# Most bold new ideas in Government circles are either ignored or shuffled
# off into the bureaucratic process never to reappear, but once in a while
# a suggestion is simply laughed out of exis

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 12:32:44 AM7/12/07
icon.

OH MY GAWD!!!!

WHAT'S NEXT, THE WHOLE DAMN COUNTRY???

What is this?

* Subject: Air Force News Service 01oct96
* From: webm...@vnis.com (Veterans News & Information Service)
* Date: 1996/10/01
* Newsgroups: soc.veterans
*
* Night vision lasers go to court
*
* KIRTLAND AIR FORCE BASE, N.M. (AFNS) -- More drug and
* smuggling convictions may soon result from a laser optics research
* agreement signed here Sept. 25 between the Air Force Phillips
* Laboratory and FLIR Systems, Inc.
*
* "Current sensors cannot read a license plate, ship registration, or
* aircraft tail number," said 1st Lieutenant Robert J. Ireland of
* Phillips's Lasers and Imaging Directorate.
*
* "But an operator with special eyewear, using a laser spotlight having a
* wavelength invisible to the unaided eye, may be able to," he said.
*
* ----------------------------------------------------------------------
* Air Force News Agency : DSN: 945-1281
* AFNEWS/IICT : (210) 925-1281
* 203 Norton Street : sy...@afnews.pa.af.mil
* Kelly AFB, TX 78241-6105 : ftp.pa.af.mil
* ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Read car's license plates at night?

Phillips's Lasers and Imaging Directorate?

What is this?

* http://www.rockwell.com/te/itsinca.html
*
* TraffiCam Vehicle Detection Sensor
*
* Rockwell is working with a variety of state and local authorities,
* including several in California, for the introduction of a new, advanced
* technology sensor called TraffiCam. The sensor uses machine vision
* technology to detect vehicles. The capabilities of the sensor make it
* useful for a variety of applications, including freeway surveillance

Ugh oh, 'machine vision', I don't

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:08:24 PM7/11/07
was thrown into a gray metal chair, still handcuffed. The room
* was dimly lit, but with a bright fluorescent light coming at my
* face. They threw a picture down on the desk. It was a picture of
* me, my husband and a Palistinian friend of ours whom they had
* arrested. They slapped it and said 'Who is this man, identify
* him.' I refused and said what they were doing to me was illegal.
*
* One said, 'Honey, we ARE the law.'
*
* It was after midnight by now. They uncuffed my right hand, then
* cuffed my left hand to the metal pole. My left arm was stretched
* up to reach it.
*
* Then they left the house and left me hanging
* there like that for over three hours.
*
* They came back around 3:30 AM with a third man.
*
* I asked if I could use the bathroom.
*
* I was desperate to go.
*
* They would not let me.
*
* They told me that my husband was in custody, that they had just picked
* him up. [That was false.] They said we could work out a deal, I could
* be a witness for the prosecution of our friend.
*
* If I would do that, they would let my husband go.
*
* They also said they knew I only had $78 in my bank account, hinting
* that they could change that.
*
* A fourth man came into the house.
*
* I will never forget his eyes.
*
* He took out a small Palistinian flag and burned it.
*
* Then they took me out, back into the car. They stopped about

Phil Carmody

Jul 11, 2007, 11:39:05 PM7/11/07
*
* Joe was arrested and took his case to trial. The jury found Joe
* guilty of cultivating marijuana, but not guilty of possessing it with
* intent to distribute.

I said before the Drug War was highly politicized.

It's a matter of politics over matter when the government's Drug War elevates
marijuana above its true pharmacological controlled substances classification;
it's a matter of hysteria to escalate it to the same top category as heroin
and LSD, 'Schedule I Substances'. Even cocaine is only Schedule II.

Late 1996 / early 1997, several states, including California, passed laws
via citizen initiative ballots that legalized marijuana if a doctor prescribes
it. Usually for nausea or weight loss from chemotherapy or AIDS.

A massive Federal and State Drug War hysteria
campaign failed to stop people approving it.

* The New York Times, Oct 3, 1996, San Francisco
* "Skirmish in Anti-Drug War: California vs. 'Doonesbury'", by Tim Golden
*
* There a drug wars, and there are drug wars...
*
* Marching bravely into the cultural swamp where Dan Quayle once bogged
* down in combat with the television single mother Murphy Brown,
* California's Attorney General, Dan Lungren, has taken his fight
* against the medical use of marijuana to Zonker Harris, the laid-back
* hero of the comic strip 'Doonesbury'. Like the former Vice President,
* Mr. Lungren appears to have underestimated his adversaries' capacity
* to make fun of him.
* [snip]
*
* Mr. Lungren raided a marijuana outlet after two years in which the
* United States Attorney in San Francisco and the city's District
* Attorney had both declined to prosecute it.
* [snip]
*
/ "Zonker": I can't believe anyone would shut down the Cannabis Buyers'
/ Club! Who ordered the bust?
/ Other character responds: "Dan Lungren, the State Attorney General.
/ Local cops wouldn't do it, so they had to bring in the Republicans."
*
* "No one should be

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:06:41 PM7/11/07
* This is the key finding of "Mandatory Minimum Drug
* Sentences: Throwing Away the Key or the Taxpayer's Money?",
* a new RAND study that provides the first quantitative
* analysis of how successful these measures are in achieving
* what Director Barry McCaffrey of the Office of National Drug
* Control Policy has called "our central purpose and mission -
* - reducing illicit drug use and its consequences."

In Florida, they charged a mother with delivering cocaine to her baby.
A problem with this is the mother-addict repeatedly applied for rehab
programs, but there were no available slots. Not enough funding.

Law enforcement drug hysteria. Decades of Drug War.

Those rumor-level stories about our government encouraging
drugs to reach the inner cities were weird.

Remember, we've been having a Drug War for four decades now.

I guess there is a certain logic to it. Obviously the government is into
hysteria on the matter: it is then possible that they would want to continue
having a drug problem so they could continue the hysteria.

Even the Attorney General was drooling over drug forfeiture dollars, to the
point of shunting aside other cases.

Recently...

: CBS 60 Minutes, Steve Croft reporti

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:05:44 AM7/12/07
Robots build our American cars: make a wide range of standardized "Nafta"
containers and have robots empty the trucks (obviously not tanker trucks,
that's a different robot-checking line), have the robots inspect the
containers under the scrutiny of customs agents, then reload the truck.

Here's some border securing technology:

* Los Alamos National Laboratory, http://www.esa.lanl.gov/ars/ars-home.html
*
* Acoustic Resonance Spectroscopy (ARS) is a technology developed at
* Los Alamos National Laboratory for the noninvasive identification
* of the fill content of sealed containers.
*
* Identification is accomplished by analyzing the effect that the fill
* material has on the resonance modes of the container. Based on the

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 2:35:26 AM7/12/07
installed,
# and so if a certain model had a recall, they could tell what was installed.
#
#
# The American Textile Partnership, a research consortium linked to the U.S.
# Department of Energy, is sponsoring a research called "Embedded Electronic
# Fingerprint" to develop a transponder the size of a grain of wheat that
# could be attached to a garment until the owner threw it out.
#
# Heretofor, this application has been considered only for security purposes.
#
# The definition of "security", according to the textile industry magazine
# 'Bobbin', has been expanded to include "anti-counterfeit" tracking after
# purchase. [What???]
#
# Could a machine-readable tag on a person's clothing serve many of the same
# tracking purposes an one embedded in the body?

----

Sure, government can give debate reasons for requiring fingerprinting
for driver's licenses...

But it is still a violation of the minimization requirement of the Privacy
Act of 1974.

Biometric data on citizens is FAR BEYOND any reason government can give.

Notice how no citizens in any state ever got to vote on such an important
escalation of personal data collection by the government.

Indeed, it seems to be accomplished in the quietest way possible, giving
citizens the least amount of opportunity to choose their fate.

Odd, since tax-payer paid-for government services is what gives them the power.

But elected representatives will do, you say?

Did you hear any of th

Phil Carmody

Jul 11, 2007, 11:39:23 PM7/11/07
Black
College Spring Break 'Freaknick' police coverage?

The police also illegally ordered the videotaper to stop taping.

----

Recently on ABC Primetime live, they wired for video and sound a nice car
owned by the father of the black son who drove it, with another black friend.

BTW, picture yourself being a black citizen to try and appreciate this.

Picture yourself as the monitored group.

Shortly after starting out, they were pulled over by police for a search.

Not one, but two squad cars came to do the search.

Because they crossed lanes while going through an intersection.

If you are white, when was the last time two squad cars searched your
vehicle inch-by-inch because you crossed lanes while passing through
an intersection? Never happened to me.

The police were recorded saying a container they found "probably had drugs"
in it. It was a make-up container. [All you little people are probably guilty]

When ABC asked the police chief later why they were pulled over,
he said for crossing lanes while going through an intersection.

ABC's cameras then showed cars doing that constantly at the same intersection.
They said they counted hundreds the same night.

The police chief then tacitly admitted they
were pulling over black people on purpose.

----

[ Yes, I am aware of the cocaine/crack sentencing discrimination. ]

You monitor any group real close, you'll get many arrests.

The implicati

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:48:33 AM7/12/07
&T
did not even qualify for action. Salomon legal stated Salomon has a lower
obligation for third-party copyrights than they did for software they
contracted for themselves, like Sybase. Salomon didn't have a UNIX source
license, so obviously the employee had gotten it elsewhere.

In the following statistic, it was the only non-Salomon source code.

We went from zero monitoring of Internet email traffic to...

> On 3/21/96 we had our first security incident report.
>
> By 3/26/96 we had an astonishing 38,000 lines of proprietary source code
> outbound.
>
> We were mentally unprepared. Figuratively we were pulling our hair out
> wondering when the madness would stop.
>
> It never did.

As I said, the results of keyword monitoring were stunning.

If you look up computer security literature and read up on security incidents,
you'll notice none are more articulate about inside-employee incidents other
than to describe the people as "disgruntled employees".

Wrong.

I'll go over some of the major categories of incidents I encountered.
Keyword monitoring is abstract to most people; these results show
how powerful the technique is.

Here are two

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:05:23 AM7/12/07
* either $5000 or 10 percent of the value of the seized property. Alvarez
* had to borrow the money from his credit cards.
*
* The Assistant U.S. Attorney Jonathon R. Howden, flooded by financial
* statements by Alvarez's defense attorney (who was a retired career
* criminal investigator with the IRS), admitted he would not take the
* case to court. That step took seven months.
*
* However, Howden made an astonishing attempt to keep half of the $88,000
* the government had seized from Alvarez's bank account. Howden offered
* Alvarez two options: settle the matter by agreeing to a 50 percent
* forfeiture, or the money will be returned to the IRS, who might keep
* it. Alvarez's lawyer called his bluff and got the money back after
* a full year had elapsed. Loss of a full year's interest and $5000 in
* legal fees were the result.
*
* The government's abrupt assault shocked Paolo Alvarez to his core,
* leaving him with powerful feelings of fearful despair and isolation.
*
* While the fear was obviously justified, the feeling of isolation was
* way off the mark. He has lots of company.
[snip]
*
* The federal government seized the home of an elderly couple under the
* Drug War's "facilitation" provision. The judge was so embarrassed he
* gave the couple half the cash value of their house back. The drugs had
* belonged to the teenaged-grandson. "The whole program is a nightmare,"
* said their lawyer, "If it keeps up, the Justice Department is going to
* be the largest property owner in Connecticut."
[snip]
*
* Between 1985 and 1993, as a result of more than 200,000 forfeitures, the
* Justice Department Asset Forfeiture Fund took in over $3.2 billion.
*
* In 1993 alone the department took in $556 million, twenty times more
* than it did when the program began in 1985.

And what were some of the reasons of the dramatic
increase in forfeitures between 1985 and 1993?

What caused i

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 12:23:58 AM7/12/07
in the nation's
* wiretap law that he was then trying to persuade Congress to approve.
*
* "If you think crime is bad now," he warned the assembled lawyers, "just
* wait and see what happens if the FBI one day is no longer able to conduct
* court-approved electronic surveillance."

Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang
Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum
War War War War War War War War War War War War War War War

WE ARE NOW AT AN HISTORICAL CROSSROAD ON THE ENCRYPTION ISSUE.

THE SAFETY OF ALL AMERICANS [is at stake].

ANY SOLUTION THAT IGNORES THE PUBLIC SAFETY AND
NATIONAL SECURITY CONCERNS RISK GRAVE HARM TO BOTH.

Louis Freeh is lying.

* "Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
*

* The FBI attributes to wiretaps less than three percent of all judgements.
* Thus the FBI assertion that electronic surveillance is essential to
* investigating crime and nabbing spies and terrorists cannot be taken
* at face value.

Monitoree John DeLorean sends his regards.

Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang
Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum Drum
War War War War War War War War War War War War War War War

It is ECHELON that they are trying to protect.

If the FBI targets you, they can get all your phone conversations BEFORE
they are encrypted, and can get your password to access your private
cryptography key.

* "Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996

* "Keeping Track of the American People: The Unblinking Eye and Giant Ear"
*
* About six times a week, fifty-two weeks a year, a team of highly trained
* FBI agents secretly breaks into a house, office, or warehouse somewhere in
* the United States.
*
* The agents are members of the bureau's Surreptitious Entry

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:41:47 PM7/11/07
This resulted in AUTOMATICALLY
! TERMINATING BENEFITS OF PEOPLE THE COMPUTER THOUGHT WERE NOT FINGERPRINTED.

----

Prior to the fingerprint "final solution" of control over us, there were
other attempts---which would have required a vote---which tried to roll
out a National ID Card.

* "Project L.U.C.I.D.", by Texe Marrs, 1996, ISBN 1-884302-02-5
*
* Since total and absolute control can be obtained only by a Police State
* bureaucracy, efforts have escalated in recent years to require a National
* ID Card.
*
* Upon Bill Clinton's election as President, Secretary of Health and Human
* Services Donna Shalala and Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy jointly
* developed a $100 million plan to require all children and babies to have
* a dossier established in a national computer registry to insure "universal
* mandatory vaccinations."
*
* When patriotic Americans rose up to protest, the U.S. Senate quietly
* shelved the deceptive Shalala-Kennedy proposal.
*
* The Clinton administration next surfaced with its mandatory health care
* plan. A key component of this plot to socialize medical care was the
* requirement of a computer I.D. card for every American, linked to a master
* computer network.
*
* Martin Anderson, writing in The Washington Times:
*
* President Clinton held the pretty red, white and blue "smart card" in
* his hand when he addressed the nation, proudly waving it like a small
* American flag.
*
* Only it wasn't a flag; it was a "health security card"---his slick
* name for a national identity card. Under his plan a new National
* Health Board would establish "national, unique identifier numbers"
* for every single one of us.
*
* Fortunately, President Bill Clinton's healthcare scam never made it
* into law. Sadly, few of the complainers were upset about the poten

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:43:03 AM7/12/07

Person #1
: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
: File: <snip> Size: 1,893 Date: N/NN/NN
: from <Mary lastname>
: rcpt <Cathy lastname>
: Subject: re: fw: humor -forwarded -reply
: Hey Cathy-
: Okay so far. I'm thinking of changing my job. I'm interviewing with
: Morgan Stanley soon.
: [snip]
: miss you,
: Mary
: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
: File: <snip> Size: 1,968 Date: N/NN/NN
: from <Mary lastname>
: rcpt <Cathy lastname>
: Subject: re: ?
: You're doing fine I'll bet. Myself: I am going to switch jobs again.
: A better offer was given to me by Morgan Stanley, and I'm contemplating
: it. Currently, I've been moved in with my boss. It sucks.

Person #2
: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
: File: <snip> Size: 45,214 Date: N/NN/NN
: from <Bob@company>
: rcpt <dig...@compuserve.com>
: Subject: Contracts
: Hello,
: This mail address was given to me by Fred McChat who has started work
: at Swift. I'm sending my friend's CV in addition to my own.
: Please give me a call to talk about this on 0171

Phil Carmody

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:01:38 AM7/12/07
feel the answer is self-evident: Education, rehabilitation
* and improving the grim lot of most of those prone to drug addiction ought
* to become national priorities.
*
* Said David Margolis, who had supervised the Criminal Division's anti-
* narcotics efforts in the early 1990s: "Anyone who thinks that drug
* enforcement is primarily a law enforcement issue, they're smoking wacky
* tabacky."

Tell all the damn manipulative politicians.

Jail's not even cost effective.

* RAND Study Finds Mandatory Minimums Cost-Ineffective
* ----------------------------------------------------
*
* Excerpt from RAND Press Release:
*
* Washington, DC, May 12, 1997 -- If cutting drug consumption and
* drug-related crime are the nation's prime drug control
* objectives, then the mandatory minimum drug sentencing laws
* in force at the federal level and in most states are not the
* way to get there.
*

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:35:47 AM7/12/07
anonymous senior government official [yea
* anonymity!].
*
* "This was purely politics."
*
* "How could you be against a bill limiting
* the display of pornography to children?"

Thank you once again, Free World Leaders,
for that intelligent political discourse.

On 6/26/97, CDA was ruled unconstitutional 7-2 by the Supreme Court.

----

Predatory behavior.

* The New York Times, April 19, 1992
*
* The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 ruling, overturned the conviction of a
* Nebraska farmer on charges of receiving child pornography. The only
* pornography the government found was the one item it sent him, "Boys
* Who Love Boys".
*
* It took the government over two years of solicitation to get him to
* order it; he says he didn't know it was illegal.
*
* Among other things, the government said he should order if he 'believes
* in the joy of sex'.
*
* He then heard from yet another Government creation, "Heartland
* Institute for a New Tomorrow" (HINT), which proclaimed that:
*
* o "We are an organization founded to protect and promote sexual freedom and
* freedom of choice. We believe that arbitrarily imposed legislative
* sanctions restricting your sexual freedom should be rescinded through
* the legislative process."
*
* o "Not only sexual expression but freedom of the press is under attack.
* We must be ever vigilant [503 U.S. 545] to counter-attack right wing
* fundamentalists who are determi

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:13:41 PM7/11/07
nnn-nnnn)
To: Tri...@ppllc.com (Tom Trigger)
subject: Re: Kruger?

Trigger> If BTO didn't let you spend a lot of time working on your
Trigger> own business, I'd have said leave ASAP. What a lousy place.

Could I keep getting 30%+ raises at other places? I should really turn
consultant.

Yeah, I have it real easy now, plenty of time to work on my own business
during the day. Great benefits here!
[snip]

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Real-time shenanigans between Republic National Bank, Salomon Brothers,
and Bob Brain's WWW business site over the Internet!

: date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 11:30:29 -0400
: From: bob@tridenthead2 (Bob Brain nnn-nnnn)
: Subject: XXX Graphic Files
: To: Br...@rnb.com
:
: Bruno> I can't believe it: I made illicit entry into Barbara Garden's
: Bruno> office (short skirts-high-heels-stockings) and grabbed a floppy
: Bruno> with some graphic images we can use.
: Bruno> Please install these into our WWW site.
:
: Made so.
:
: -Bob

********** end excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

Here's one example of internal operations documentation being sucked out
the Internet. And endless amount of this material left the firm.

I caught Internal Audit alone transferring proprietary/confidential
material three times.

********** begin excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

SECURITY INCIDENT REPORT, 8

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:09:51 AM7/12/07
provide an apartment
!!! with cameras and you know...With sound equipment and
!!! everything. So we could film the nun while I seduced her."

Done done.

ECHELON is NSA's world-wide surveillance network and associated software.

DICTIONARY - Keyword searching with exclusion logic software.

ORATORY - Speech recognition. Think of it as speech-to-text software.
Subject to DICTIONARY searches.

CALEA - A 1994 law ("Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act")
to force a massive reworking of the U.S. telephone infra-
structure so that the government can intrinsically wiretap it.
Also called the FBI Digital Telephony Act. It is a domestic
extension of ECHELON.

GAK - Government Access [to cryptographic] Keys. Any cryptography
product with GAK has been compromised so the government can
read it.

SIGINT - Signals Intelligence = NSA = electronic snooping

Key Recovery - See GAK.

C-SPAN - Two cable channels dedicated to broadcasting both houses of
Congress and other U.S. governmental functions.

DEA - U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration
DIA - U.S. Pentagon Defense Intelligence Agency
DIA - U.S. Drug Interdiction Agency (older)

FBI - U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation

BATF - U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms

UKUSA - pronounced 'you-koo-za' - a secret wartime treaty that says
member nations can spy on each others population without
warrants or limits, and that this can be shared with the
spied-on co

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 12:42:28 AM7/12/07
for political purposes.

And these are when they were caught.

It's currently used for the "Drug War", a highly political endeavor.

Of course, once CISPES was designated as a terrorist organization...

: The Washington Post Magazine, June 23 1996
:
* The CISPES investigation expanded. The FBI conducted a MASSIVE NATIONWIDE
* investigation that put under surveillance ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED THIRTY
* liberal groups, many of them religious or political organizations.

By definition, ECHELON surveillance of 1,330 groups is NOT an "aberration".

The state of Congressional oversight (and punishment of FISA violations)
is horrifying.

Not only did the NSA/FBI use FISA in a criminal manner, they then cross-
referenced through everyone ever connecting to CISPES - no matter how
distant - to achieve massive domestic spying for political purposes.

To crush peaceful lawful political protest.

In America.

For the President.

And they did it WITHOUT getting 1,330 FISA warrants.

Question: How do you spy on 1,330 domestic groups?

Answer: Electronically, using an existing domestic

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:47:16 PM7/11/07
assault victims fall into the last category;
* most victims are never touched by the offender.
*
* The same held true for armed robbery. Only 3 percent required medical
* treatment. Less than half of armed robbers displayed guns, and those
* who did were LESS LIKELY TO INJURE VICTIMS than robbers who didn't show
* guns.
*
* The FBI has a tendency to worry people unnecessarily, even when it has
* good news. For example, last year the FBI announced that 53 percent of
* all homicides were by strangers, and that for the first time all Americans
* had a "realistic" chance of being murdered.
*
* But to arrive at these troubling figures, the FBI considered ALL UNSOLVED
* HOMICIDES, including drug-related killings, as homicides committed by
* strangers, thus creating the impression that murder was becoming
* increasingly random. "Three Strikes" laws also skew the statistics.

----

http://www.epic.org...Louis Freeh, banging the Drums of War:

Prepared Statement of
Director Louis J. Freeh
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Before the Senate Judiciary Committee

June 4, 1997

THE ISSUES YOU AND THE OTHER MEMBERS RAISE ARE CRITICAL AND IMMEDIATE.
MANY GO TO THE CORE OF THE FBI AND OUR ABILITY TO PROTECT THE AMERICAN

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 12:30:24 AM7/12/07
for future "human
* pacification" programs.

* http://ursula.blythe.org/NameBase
*
* Valentine, Douglas. The Phoenix Program. New York: William Morrow, 1990.
* 479 pages.
*
* Operation Phoenix
*
* Along with saturation bombing of civilian populations, Operation Phoenix
* has to rate as America's most atrocious chapter in the Vietnam War.
*
* Between 1967 to 1973 an estimated 40,000 Vietnamese were killed by CIA-
* sponsored "counterterror" and "hunter-killer" teams, and hundreds of
* thousands were sent to secret interrogation centers.
*
* William Colby's records show 20,587 dead between 1968 and 1971, though he
* likes to believe that most were killed in military combat and afterwards
* identified as part of the VC infrastructure.
*
* Other testimony suggests that Colby was a bit disingenuous in these 1971
* hearings. At one point Congressman Ogden Reid pulled out a list signed by
* a CIA officer that named VC cadre rounded up in a particular action in
* 1967.
*
* "It is of some interest that on this list, 33 of the 61 names were
* women and some persons were as young as 11 and 12," noted Reid.
*
* Valentine spent four years researching this name-intensive book, and
* managed to interview over 100 Phoenix participants. If post-Vietnam
* America had ever looked into a mirror, this book might have become a
* bestseller. Instead it was published just as the Gulf War allowed us to
* resume business as usual, and went virtually unnoticed.

# The Baltimore Sun, January 27 1997
#
# Amnesty International is calling for a Congressional investigation into
# a CIA torture manual they came into possession of "Counterintelligence
# Interrogation."
#
# The comprehensive manual even includes "medical, chemical or electrical"
# tips for torturers such as "If a new safe house is to be used, the
# electric current should be known in advance so that tr

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:40:56 PM7/11/07
5.1 percent, so that the number of unemployed
* people will go up.
*
* SEVEN MILLION PEOPLE ARE CURRENTLY UNEMPLOYED.

# Tom Tomorrow
#
# Since the time in the 1970s when President Nixon ordered a nationwide
# salary freeze to combat inflation, the Federal Reserve Board has
# manipulated interest rates so that approximately 5 to 6 million people
# are purposely kept unemployed at any given time.

What???

You mean the government purposely keeps millions and millions and millions
of people unemployed at any given time, yet put time limits on welfare?

I don't recall hearing that in the public debate.

Question: What will poor people who can't get
jobs do when their welfare runs out?
Keeping in mind that the government purposely
keeps approximately 5 to 6 million people unemployed.

Answer: Increasing crime, increasing tension and conflict with police
departments, some rioting, and politicians banging the Drum of
War to take stronger police and monitoring actions. "Law & Order"

Stronger police action mainly against black people.

----

This monitoring discrimination of blacks is demonstratedly nationwide.

Therefore, it is also a smoking gun for arguing
for retenti

Phil Carmody

Jul 11, 2007, 11:38:40 PM7/11/07
: contradicts Justice Department official Michael
: Vatis, who told me at a conference this year that
: the Clinton administration did not want import
: controls. Though Cabe Franklin, spokesperson
: for Trusted Information Systems, says Kerrey was
: misunderstood. "In the briefing afterwards, I found
: out he didn't mean that at all. He meant import
: controls, but more regulation than restriction. The
: same way they wouldn't let a car with faulty
: steering controls in the country. He meant more
: quality control," Franklin says. (I don't know
: about you, but I'm not convinced.)
[
What a bunch of hooey.
]
:
: Kerrey's sudden interest in cryptologic arcana
: likely stems from a recent addition to his staff:
: policy aide Chris McLean.
:
: McLean is hardly a friend of the Net. While in
: former Sen. Jim Exon's (D-Neb.) office, McLean
: drafted the notorious Communications Decency
: Act and went on to prompt Exon to derail
: "Pro-CODE" pro-encryption legislation last fall.
: Then, not long after McLean moved to his current
: job, his new boss stood up on the Senate floor
: and bashed Pro-CODE in favor of the White
: House party line: "The President has put forward
: a plan which in good faith attempts to balance
: our nation's interests in commerce, security, and
: law enforcement."

Kerrey has since introduced a bill that parrots the Clinton administration's
philosophy:

* http://www.cdt.org/crypto/legis_105/mccain_kerrey/analysis.html
*
* Comparison: Major Features of the Administration and McCain-Kerrey Bills
*
* Administration Draft*
* McCain-Kerrey** [w. section

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:57:51 AM7/12/07
should be taken as a complaint that insufficient procedures
have been put in place to ensure current and new Salomon personnel are
made aware of the security issues of Internet transmissions for network
device configuration files. Suggest wide-spread distribution of a memo
concerning the problem. Perhaps place "no-Internet-transmission" comments
in all network config files. Standard warning issued to all new networkers.

Three transmissions of live passwords to three different Salomon routers
have been sent in cleartext over the Internet by Rock Transves nnn-nnnn
of Internet Client Services:

SENDER DATE ROUTER LINE PASSWORD

Rock Transves 6/27/96 09:37 bc7f7w40 [global] bs345way
[and again on] 6/26/96 16:10 con 0 bs345way
aux 0 bs345way
vty 0 qwerty0

Rock Transves 6/18/96 11:27 ard7w35 [global] z23c4v5b
trangobw1 [global] bs345way
con 0 bs345way

ALL OF THESE ROUTERS *AND* ALL ROUTERS USING THE SAME PASSWORDS
MUST HAVE THEIR PASSWORDS CHANGED.
[snip]

SECURITY INCIDENT REPORT, 7/3/96

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:19:07 AM7/12/07
Stanley, and I'm contemplating
: it. Currently, I've been moved in with my boss. It sucks.

Person #2
: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
: File: <snip> Size: 45,214 Date: N/NN/NN
: from <Bob@company>
: rcpt <dig...@compuserve.com>
: Hello,
: This mail address was given to me by Fred McChat who has started work
: at Swift. I'm sending my friend's CV in addition to my own.

: Please give me a call to talk about this on 0171 555 1212 or
: 0171 555 1213 after work hours.
: Thank you,
: Bob XXX
: the following is an attached file item from cc:mail. it contains
: information which had to be encoded to insure successful transmission
: through various mail systems. to decode the file use the uudecode
: program.
: --------------------------------- cut here ---------------------------------
: begin 644 resume.doc
: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Person #3
: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
: File: <snip> Size: 5,159 Date: N/NN/NN
: from <female@company>
: rcpt <Dick@outside>
: Subject: la la la la la
:
: Update on my job search: I have a second interview with Fidelity on
: Thur

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:23:09 PM7/11/07
", by Tom Tomorrow [political cartoon, in NYT]
#
# Biff: You know why we should eliminate welfare, Wanda?
# It's been A COMPLETE FAILURE!
# After all -- there ARE STILL POOR PEOPLE!
#
# Wanda: Hey, good thinking Biff!
# And while we're at it, why don't we eliminate the FIRE DEPARTMENT?
# After all -- there ARE STILL FIRES!
# And talk about FAILURES -- what about the MEDICAL INDUSTRY?
# Why, there are still SICK PEOPLE everywhere you look!
#
# Wanda: And why don't we shut down the POLICE DEPARTMENT as well --
# since there are STILL CRIMINALS!
# For that matter, why have any laws at all?
# People still BREAK them ALL THE TIME.
#
# Biff: Look, it made sense when Rush said it.
#
# Wanda: I'm sure it did, sweetheart.
# Say, shouldn't his show be cancelled?
# After all -- there are STILL LIBERALS...

* "Can Unemployment Fall Further Without Setting Off Inflation?"
* By Richard W. Stevenson, The New York Times, September 7, 1996
*
* Six percent unemployment of the able-bodied population is the point where
* the Federal Reserve Board usually kicks in to raise interest rates. [the
* presidential campaigns are in their final stages between Dole and Clinton
* at this time]
*
* The Federal Reserve Board is expected to raise interest rates now that
* unemployment has reached 5.1 percent, so that the number of unemployed

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:22:02 AM7/12/07
18:04:48 -0400

> From: bob@tridenthead2 (Bob Brain nnn-nnnn)
> Recipient: S...@XXX.com
>
> I've been thinking about it for a while, and I'm pretty sure I'm going
> to resign at Salomon shortly.
>
> A couple more big clients for our WWW site and even though it's less
> than half of my current income, I'll finally be able to devote myself
> full-time to the business. Yeah!
>
> F*** that would be awesome (pardon my language).

Remember the person the FBI was investigating for theft of Risk Management
source code? His manager told him and all the other employees in their
group that their email was being monitored. The manager told both me, Salomon
Legal, and the U.S. Attorney and the two FBI agents this.

Go figure.

I call this Internet-is-irresistible siren call: "Internet Fever".

When it comes to ECHELON, it was never discussed with the American people.

We never had a chance to vote on it.

It was done in secret.

It is done in secret.

When you lift up the phone, you don't hear a message warning you
that the NSA is monitoring it.

But they are.

"Anytime, anywhere" is their motto.

On Being Monitored
-- ----- ---------

On being black.

African-Americans are a heavily monitored group.

* "Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
*

* Even

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 2:32:42 AM7/12/07
* 311, Maleny, Queensland 4552, Australia). It first came to my attention
* when it was printed in the U.S. by LtCol Archibald E. Robert's Bulletin,
* the newsletter of the highly respected Committee to Restore the Constitu-
* tion (P.O. Box 986, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522).
*
* The article caused a flurry of activity and a round of vigorous denials,
* admissions, coverups, and more denials by Australian political leaders.
*
* The article contends that (1) America's National Security Agency (NSA)
* is the world surveillance headquarters, and (2) Australia has it's own
* secret "computer center", linked with the NSA via satellite, which
* illegally watches over Australia's citizenry.

Article snippets... capitalization by the original authors...

* On a fateful fall day in America, on November 4th, 1952, a new United
* States government agency quietly was brought into existence through
* presidential decree.
*
* The birth of the National Security Agency on that day so long ago
* heralded the beginning of the world's most sophisticated and all
* encompassing surveillance system, and the beginnings of the greatest
* threat to individual liberty and freedom not only in Australia, but
* the entire planet will ever see.
*
* The NSA grew out of the post war "Signals Intelligence" section of the
* U.S. War Department. It is unique amongst government organizations in
* America, and indeed most other countries, in that there are NO specified
* or defined limits to its powers.
*
* The NSA can (and does) do just about

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:23:09 AM7/12/07
(potentially many billions of dollars, in direct and indirect costs)
to deploy a global key recovery infrastructure.

Government Steamroller
---------- -----------

Force anyone receiving government money to use crackable crypto?

Import restrictions in the U.S.?

Outlaw all non-government approved crypto?

That would never happen...would it?

: http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/ [search for article title]
:
: The Netly News
:
: Bill of Goods
:
: by Declan McCullagh May 9, 1997
:
: Senate Democrats are preparing legislation
: that requires universities and other groups
: receiving Federal grants to make their
: communication networks snoopable by the
: government, The Netly News has learned. The
: draft also includes penalties for "unauthorized
: br

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:29:46 AM7/12/07
biochip will emit low
* frequency FM radio waves that can travel great distances e.g., some miles
* up into space to an orbiting satellite. The transmission would provide
* information on the exact location of the "chipee": his latitude, longitude
* and elevation to within a few feet anywhere on the planet.
*
* The April 2nd, 1989 Marin Independent Journal discussed the theory of
* biochip implants in humans. Tim Willard, the then- executive officer of
* the World Future Society and managing editor of its monthly magazine.
*
* The Futurist, noted that with a little refinement, the microchip could be
* used in a number of human applications. He stated: "Conceivably, a number
* could be assigned at birth and go with a person throughout life."
*
* The article continued: "Most likely, he added, it woud be implanted on
* the back of the right or left hand for convenience, `so that it would
* be easy to scan....It could be used as a universal identification card
* that would replace credit cards, passports, that sort of thing. At the
* checkout stand at a supermarket, you would simply pass your hand over
* a scanner and your bank account would automatically be debited."

There it is again: people talking about assigning
everyone a biometric identifying number at birth.

----

# Privacy Journal, By Robert Ellis Smith, June 1994 issue
#
# The Hughes Aircraft Company is selling a tiny transponder for injection
# under the skin

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:04:22 AM7/12/07
that,
while at Menwith, she was able to listen through earphones to telephone calls
being monitored.

When investigators subpoenaed witnesses and sought access to plans and manuals
for the ECHELON system, they found there were no formal controls over who
could be targeted; junior staff were able to feed in target names to be
searched for by the computers without any check of their authorization to
do so.

None of this is surprising and it is likely to be insignificant compared with
official abuse of the system.

The capabilities of the ECHELON system are so great, and the secrecy
surrounding it makes it so impervious to democratic oversite, that the
temptation to use it for questionable projects seems irresistible.

In June 1992 a group of current 'highly placed intelligence operatives' from
the British GCHQ spoke to the paper Observer: 'We feel we can no longer remain
silent regarding that which we regard to be gross malpractice and negligence
within the establishment in which we operate.'

They gave as examples GCHQ interception of three charitable organizations,
including Amnesty International and Christian Aid. As the Observer reported:

"At any time GCHQ is able to home in on their communications for a
routine target request," the GCHQ source said. In this case of phone
taps the procedure is known as Mantis. With the telexes this is
called Mayfly. By keying in a code relating to Third World aid, the
source was able to demonstrate telex 'fixes' on the three organizations.

We can then sift through those communications further by selecting
keywords to search for.

Without actually naming it, this was a fairly precise description of how
the ECHELON Dictionary system work

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:51:24 AM7/12/07
in order to fight organized crime and for the
* protection of national security.
*
* Interception of telecommunications should reach all the way down
* to the design stage of the equipment.
*
* The next generation of satellite-based telecommunications systems
* should be able to "tag" each individual subscriber in view of a
* possibly necessary surveillance activity. All the new systems have
* to have the capability to place all individuals under surveillance.
*
HA Unfortunately, initial contacts with various consortia...has met with
HA the most diverse reactions, ranging from great willingness to
HA cooperate on the one hand, to an almost total refusal even to discuss
HA the question.
*
* It is very urgent for governments and/or legislative institutions to
* make the new consortia aware of their duties. The government will
* also have to create new regulations for international cooperation
* so that the necessary surveillance will be able to operate.

# "Made in America?", Wired Magazine, June 1997
#
# Japan's Justice Ministry is rallying support for an anticrime bill that
# would give police extensive wiretap powers---a major departure given the
# country's constitutional guarantees for "secrecy of any means of communi-
# cations." Acc

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:58:15 AM7/12/07
that automatically search
through millions of intercepted messages for ones containing pre-programmed
keywords or fax, telex and email addresses. Every word of every message is
automatically searched: they do not need your specific telephone number or
Internet address on the list.

All the different computers in the network are known, within the UKUSA
agencies, as the ECHELON Dictionaries.

Computers that can search for keywords have existed since at least the 1970s,
but the ECHELON system has been designed to interconnect all these computers
and allow the stations to function as components of an integrated whole.

Under the ECHELON system, a particular station's Dictionary computers contain
not only its parent agency's chosen keywords, but also a list for each of the
other four agencies. For example, each New Zealand site has separate search
lists for the NSA, GCHQ [British], DSD [Australia], and CSE [Canada] in
addition to its own.

So each station collects all the telephone calls, faxes, telexes, Internet
messages and other electronic communications that its computers have been
pre-programmed to select for all the allies and automatically send this
intelligence to them.

This means that New Zealand stations are being used by the overseas agencies
for their automatic collecting - while New Zealand does not even know what
is being intercepted from the New Zealand sites for the allies. In return,
New Zealand gets tightly controlled access to a few parts of the system.

The GCSB computers, the stations, the headquarter operations and, indeed,
GCSB itself function almost entirely as components of this integrated system.

Each station in the network - not just the satellite stations - has Dictionary
computers that report to the ECHELON system

P37
United States spy satel

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:26:54 AM7/12/07
intercepted messages (known just as 'intercept') from the large GCSB
computer database of intercept from the New Zealand stations and overseas
agencies.

[ I interrupt this book excerpt to bring you retrieval results for
"BRS Search" from the www.altavista.digital.com search engine:

BRS/Search is designed to manage large collections
of unstructured information, allowing multiple
users to quickly and efficiently search, retrieve
and analyze stored documents simply by entering a
word, concept, phrase, or combination of phrases,
in any length. The product offers the most
powerful indexing structure available today, with
users able to pinpoint critical information in
seconds, even across millions of documents in
numerous databases.

Hmmm. Sounds like the search engine I just used.

You give the search engine keywords to search for, and can specify
exclusion logic keywords. e.g. "digital AND NOT watch"
]

Before anything goes into the database, the actual searching and selection of

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 12:13:07 AM7/12/07
from academe and industry in the form of
secure cryptographic applications to private and commercial telecommunications
equipment.

The same technology that is used against free speech can be used
to protect it, for without protection the future may be grim.

Senator Frank Church, chairman of the Senate Intelligence committee, referring
to the NSA's SIGINT technology:

At the same time, that capability at any time could be turned around
on the American people and no American would have any privacy left,
such is the capability to monitor everything: telephone conversations,
telegrams, it doesn't matter.

There would be no place to hide.

If the government ever became a tyranny, if a dictator ever took charge
in this country, the technological capacity that the intelligence commun-
ity has given the government could enable it to impose total tyranny,
and there would be no way to fight back, because the most careful effort
to combine together in resistance to the government, no matter how
privately it was done, is within the reach of the government to know.

Such is the capability of this technology...

I don't want to see this country ever go across the bridge.

I know the capacity that is there to make tyranny total in America, and
we must see to it that this agency and all agencies that possess this
technology operate within the law and under proper supervision, so that
we never cross over that abyss.

That is the abyss from which there is no return.

*** end of 'Puzzle Palace' excerpts.

Wow.

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:44:39 AM7/12/07
Dept.
of War went for it gung-ho, rightfully. Signals intelligence (SIGINT) is the
first step...the NSA grew out of these wartime operations research efforts.

To seek out information from noise, then act on the information.

Target accuracy for precision high altitude bombing requires
a complex feedback mechanism to control deployment (pre-GPS WW II).

* My dad:
*
* Norden bombsights revolutionized aerial bombing.
*
* They were so accurate we stopped putting explosives
* in the bombs and just aimed for people.

Communications, Command and Control. The above wasn't really the best
example of OR, but I did get to quote my dad again. ;-)

* "The Future of War - Power, Technology, and American World Dominance in
* the 21st Century", by George & Meredith Friedman, 1996, ISBN 0-517-70403-X
*
* A discipline named operations research had begun to develop prior to World
* War II that aspired to use quantitative methodologies to develop a science
* of management. [snip]
*
* For the physicists and mathematicians of the Rand Corporation, the
* intuitions of common sense were utterly insufficient as a guide to
* management. Mathematical precision was necessary, and operations
* research promised to supply that precision. [snip]
*
* It had not jumped from the management of particular, limited areas of
* warfare to the structuring of entire campaigns and wars. Operations
* research had not penetrated to the very marrow of conventional warfare,
* that is, not until an attempt was made in 1961 to revolutionize the idea
* of war. This was done by an industrialist named Robert McNamara, who had
* been president at Ford Motor Company.

Stafford Beer is a British cybernetician, and a 'research philosopher'.

In 1970, a Dr. Salvador Allende became president of Chile.

He was a democratically elected Marxist, with 37%

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:20:02 AM7/12/07
device on the top
of a building housing an armed and holed-up African-American group
(men, woman & children) called 'Move'. They burned down the entire
neighborhood of 62 homes. 9/28/96 NYT: 1.5 million dollars was awarded
to survivors. Eleven men, women and children died in the fire purposely
set ("a satchel of explosives") by Police Commissioner Gregore Sambor
and Fire Chief William Richmond to open a hole in the building for tear
gas delivery. But Pennsylvania state law was ruled to grant them
personal immunity from Federal civil rights charges because they were
state employees [what???]. The incident occurred in May 1985.

o Waco. CS tear gas attack by the FBI using Army tanks.

The government, across the decades, keeps managing to burn people to death,
rather than bringing them to trial.

Often, tear gas is involved.

----

Randy Weaver at Ruby Ridge.

Persisting, a BATF informant persuaded Weaver, a DECORATED GREEN BERET
VETERAN of Vietnam with NO CRIMINAL RECORD, to sell him two shotguns,
but insisted that Weaver saw the barrels off one-quarter inch short of
the legal limit.

Monitoring him, they knew Mr. Weaver needed money for his family.

Why did the government target Mr. Weaver?

Blackmail.

One of the FBI's favorite activities is spying on political organizations.

They wanted to use him to infiltrate white supremacists groups for the
government. Or face prosecution.

When Weaver refused, he was indicted on guns charges. He was sent two

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:25:20 AM7/12/07
Recovery means...

By the way, the Government is restricting *communications* products, which
use public key cryptography. BY DEFINITION the SENDER will NEVER expect to
decrypt the traffic once they've encrypted it; that's the basis for public
key cryptography. That's how it works mathematically. By design.

So this "spare key" argument makes no sense whatsoever.

I shudder to think that most Americans will not understand these admittedly
technocratic basic details of computer systems and cryptography.

If they knew, they would be STUNNED that our leaders would lie so boldly to
us, including Mr. Kantor, to protect ECHELON.

That the public would misunderstand Kantor and Clinton to think they are
offering a "reasonable compromise"...even though what is actually happening
is our government demanding you lose all right to privacy, that we must give
the government a copy of our personal security key.

Part 6: Louis Freeh & The Creeping Police State
---- - ----- ----- --- -------- ------ -----

o Louis Freeh
o National ID Card
o Worldwide Banking and Phone Monitoring
o Cybernetic Control of Society
o Conclusions

Louis Freeh
----- -----

Louis Freeh is accomplishing something that real
terrorists themselves could never h

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 12:39:05 AM7/12/07
members of Congress classified
information that would expose a crime, reveal lying to
Congress, uncover fraud or stop abuses. They could do
so without approval from their superiors and without
fear of reprisal. They could only pass on information
to appropriate members -- for example, CIA information
would have to go to the Intelligence Committee.

But the White House said it would veto the entire bill
over that provision. In a written statement, it said
the whistle-blower measure would usurp "the president's
constitutional authority to protect national security
and other privileged information."

National security means keeping Congress dumbed-down:

* "Secret Pentagon Intelligence Unit is Disclosed"
* By Raymond Bonner, The New York Times, May 11, 1983
*
* Because the Pentagon was dissatisfied with the intelligence it was getting
* from the CIA, the new unit 'Army Intelligence Support Activity' was set up.
*
* It is suspected that the secret group was used to get around Congressional
* limits of 55 military advisors in El Salvador.
*
* The Congressional intelligence committees "stumbled on" the unit's
* existence after it was reported in an article in The Boston Globe.

The National Security Agency will even attack freedom of the press: never
forget that they were the lead agency trying to suppress "The Pentagon Papers".

Finally finishing.......

Parting shot #1...

* The Puzzle Palace, Author James Bamford, 1983 revision
*
* Inf

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 3:04:30 AM7/12/07
technical ability to decipher the messages.
!
! Walter G. Deeley, NSA deputy director for communications security
! said, "It is technically possible for the Government to read such
! messages, but it would be insane for it to do so. It would be an
! extraordinarily expensive undertaking and would require a massive
! increase in computer power."

Probably since noone believed that, they admitted it, and said why they
needed to decrypt in real-time:

# Encryption and Law Enforcement
#
# Dorothy E. Denning
# Georgetown University
#
# February 21, 1994
#
# To implement lawful interceptions of encrypted communications, they
# need a real-time or near real-time decryption capability in order
# to keep up with the traffic and prevent potential acts of violence.
# Since there can be hundreds of calls a day on a tapped line, any
# solution that imposes a high overhead per call is impractical.

And if uncrackable crypto were in widespread use within the U.S., the
FBI would demand that it be outlawed. For 'public safety and national
security'.

: * "Above the Law"
: * ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
: * by David Burnham
: *
: * The suspicion that the government might one day try to outlaw any
: * encryption device which did not provide easy government access was
: * reinforced by comments made by FBI Director Freeh at a 1994 Washington
: * conference on cryptography. "The objective for us is to get those
: * conversations...wherever they are, whatever they are", he said in
: * response to a question.
: *
: * Freeh indicated that if five years from now the FBI had solved the
: * access problem b

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:39:04 AM7/12/07
is being fingerprinted.

The FBI is now advocating biometric capture of all newborns too.

This is an interesting manifesto, please take the time to read it.

Cryptography can be used to keep private: Internet traffic, such as email,
and telephone conversations (PGP phone). A version of PGP phone that looks
and works like a normal telephone --- but can't be spied upon --- would
eventually become wide-spread.

It begins to change the mind-set that the Police State is inevitable.

----

Major references...

In the last several years intelligence operatives, specifically including
SIGINT (signal intelligence) people, have started telling the story about
the massive domestic use of computer monitoring software in the U.S.

Including our domestic phone calls, Internet, fax, everything.

I'm going to quote a number of articles and books; they involved talking
to over 100 of these intelligence operatives.

Buy this book: "Secret Power" by Nicky Hager, ISBN 0-908802-35-8.

It describes in detail the ECHELON platform. It's one of the most important.
New Zealand people are quite unhappy at their place within ECHELON.

Buy this book: "Spyworld: Inside the Canadian and American Intelligence
Establishments" By Mike Frost [NSA trained sigint person] and Michel
Gratton, Toronto Doubleday 1994.

Mr. Frost describes missions in the U.S. where he was trained by the NSA
to handle domestic jobs that would be illegal for the NSA.

These books are quite damning, in a heavily documented way.

This is an AMAZINGLY COMPREHENSIVE BOOK: buy it!

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:19:52 AM7/12/07
-hunting unit, he had unprecedented access to top-secret CIA and
NATO archives. Mark Aarons is an investigative reporter and author of
several books on intelligence related issues.

One day I was flipping channels, and came across "The Leon Charney Show".

Attorney Charney was interviewing Attorney Loftus, who has many many
connections in the intelligence world.

Mr. Loftus described a room in NSA's Fort Meade that was actually British
soil (diplomatic territory), with a British guard posted outside...

: From: g...@panix.com [updated here 5/25/97]
: Subject: Re: Threaten U.S. Domestic ECHELON
: Newsgroups: alt.cypherpunks,talk.politics.crypto,comp.org.eff.talk
:
: This is a heavily annotated book.
:
: Massive domestic spying by the NSA.
:
: Including our phone calls.
:
: * "The Secret War Against the Jews"
: * Authors: John Loftus and Mark Aarons
: * ISBN 0-312-11057-X, 1994
: *
: * In 1943 this resulted in the Britain-USA (Brusa) agreement to merge
: * the Communications Intelligence (COMINT) agencies of both governments.
: *
: * One of the little-known features of Brusa was that President Roosevelt
: * agreed that the two governments could spy on each others' citizens,
: * without search warrants, by establishing "listening posts" on each
: * others' territory.
[snip]
: *
: * According to several of the "old spies" who worked in Communications
: * Intelligence, the NSA headquarters is also the chief British espionage
: * base in the United States. The presence of British wiretappers at the
: * keyboards of American eavesdropping computers is a closely guarded
: * secret, one that very few people in the intelligence community have

Phil Carmody

Jul 11, 2007, 11:34:52 PM7/11/07
DE]
*
* Users receive a minutely itemized statement each month on their trips.
*
* The E-Z Pass is a transponder people put in their windshield.
*
* Concerns about privacy were met with assurances that information about
* commuters' whereabouts would be released only under court subpoena.

People are buying the transponders because they eliminated the regular
discount tokens and moved the discount availability to E-Z Pass.

Wow.

It does have a kind-of Singapore feel to it...being able to track cars.

Well, it's not like they're going to go nutcake and
install a monitoring grid over the entire metropolis.

They wouldn't do that, right?

: "Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
:
: In New York City, the FBI spent millions of dollars to install a permanent
: "fully-functional real-time physical tracking network."
:
: It should come as no surprise that the FBI did not announce this addition
: to its investigative bag of tricks: a citywide network of hidden sensing
: devices that pick up signals from a moving vehicle and immediately project
: the precise location on a large illuminated map located in the FBI's New
: York command post.
:
: When the FBI's technology head was asked how the new tracking system was
: working, he looked surprised, and didn't answer the question. "How did you
: know about that?" he asked.
:
: The FBI denied a request for a tour of its Manhatten command post, where
: the output from its instantaneous tracking system is displayed for the
: brass.
:
: In 1993, however, the FBI allowed a reporter who was working on what the
: bureau expected would be a friendly article to visit the inner sanctum.
:
: The command center, she later wrote, "looks not unlike the Starship
: Enterprise, of 'Star Trek.' On the rear wall of the room are three giant
: screens on which neighborhood maps, live field surveillance, and graphs
:

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:12:10 PM7/11/07
concerns Internet public wire traffic of XXX XXXXXX XXXXXX.
Internet traffic is monitored for security and compliance purposes.

----------------------------------
Security Incident Report 10/29/96

Joseph Busy: working on another
job while within XXX XXXXXX XXXXXX
----------------------------------

Aggregate email from Joseph Busy shows he is very involved in running
a business on the side. At the least, he is directing the efforts of
others who work in his other company via his XXXXXX email.

Among the shots he is calling for:

o Find out where our money is: report XXX to the BBB and Chamber of
Commerce and Dunn and Bradstreet as past due 120 days on $200.
o Collect money from the real estate company
o Firm up a meeting for the investment bankers
o Make sure all bids are out
o Make sure distributor list is up to date and credit lines and terms
are verified.
o Where's the money from the Navy?
o Find out costs for health insurance for the company (Ongoing).
o Test program and relay any changes to <name> [a company]
o Finish systems matrix pricing
o Get pricing on ISDN lines for Fishkill and Bayside

It seems like this could possibly be distracting him from being "all he
could be" at XXX XXXXXX XXXXXX. Mr. Busy requests the others to "check
your email every few hours", and "do not leave before you talk to me".

The email recipient is a Fred XXXXXXX, who works at PEI,
"Tel: (718) nnn-nnnn, Fax: (718) nnn-nnnn".

Another referenced person, "Gary", has the skills/job for making brochures.
Gary has an email name of "xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxx" at ISP ATT.
He receives a copy of Mr. Busy's email via Fred, might work at PEI too.
They also have a database programmer, possibly Fred.

Encl

Phil Carmody

Jul 11, 2007, 11:22:44 PM7/11/07
open the
lid and replace the self-diagnosed defective component.
[snip]

In pursuit of plausible deniability, CSE, GCHQ, and NSA have used each
others' personnel and resources to evade laws against domestic spying.

[ an example given in which the NSA wanted to spy on someone within
the US, even though they had no authorization for such an operation ]

..So, two Canadians were sent to conduct a counter-espionage operation
on US soil at US taxpayer expense so that NSA could maintain deniability.

In every way that counts, NSA broke US law and spied on its own citizens.

[ A UK operation by CSE described next. Margaret Thatcher (then Prime
Minister) thinks two of the ministers in her cabinet are not 'on side'
...so she wants to find out if they are... So GCHQ asked CSE operators
to come to London to bug the ministers ]

Increasingly though, both because it's possible and because it's desired,
individuals are caught in the broad net of electronic surveillance.

The experts can record and analyze all your communications at will.

SIGINT organizations in Canada, US, UK, Australia, and Ne

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:28:04 AM7/12/07

> I've been hoping for those progs but they hadn't arrived. Can you
> check my email address?
>
> This will be mega brownie points for me to get it working so fast.
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

The first one is where an ex-worker ("Dumb") asks a current employee for
something proprietary, in this case written by the ex-co-worker, and the
current employee ("Dumber") gives it to them.

It happened again and again and again at all sites I've monitored.

They fired her.

One of the more unusual Dumb-and-Dumber incidents was when a new hiree who
was quite happy with her new job - told all her friends in email - then sent
an email "Subject: For your eyes only" into dttus.com, with an Excel
spreadsheet attached.

It contained detailed compensation numbers for an entire trading desk.

Technically it wasn't a Dumb-and-Dumber, more like a Dumber-to-Luckless,
because the recipient didn't request it.

Anyway, they fired her.

And Deloitte & Touche fired the recipient!!!

I guess they hold their people to very high standards: if you receive
something proprietary of another company's, you'd better report it to
management yourself.

No, Deloitte & Touche didn't spot the transfer.

We had to ask for our email "back".

********** end excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

It just never stopped.

Here are three examples from category:

o Working on another job while within the firm

********** begin excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

This report concerns Internet public wire traffic of XXX XXXXXX XXXXXX.

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 2:08:26 AM7/12/07
I make decisions and commitments on the basis of my own inner subjective
* feelings --- not regarding popular opinion or the requirements of social
* role very much. I tend to keep the nature of my personal relationships
* very private --- I don't bring my family life, love life, etc into public
* view.
*
* When I invite others into my home for social occasions, it means an offer
* of great intimacy to me and is not a casual event to be taken lightly. My
* possessions and living area are private to me --- that is, very personal.
* I feel offended when I find someone has been handling them or looking at
* them without invitation.
*
* I am often offended by information requested of me by government, school,
* employer: identification numbers, financial history, marital status, age.
*
* The right to so much information seems questionable to me, and I feel I
* am being asked to reveal very personal things about myself in doing so.
*
* This always seems to me to represent a lack of respect for personal privacy.

How quaint, to want privacy.

Our privacy has been fading into a distant memory over the
last twenty years. And that's not even figuring ECHELON.

Just try leaving the hospital wit

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:12:08 PM7/11/07
with it.

o Killing the CALEA legislation, which orders all communications
equipment be DESIGNED so the Government can spy on it.

o Dismantling domestic ECHELON, the Government listening in on our
domestic phone calls.

o A Cabinet-level U.S. Privacy Commission, with teeth.

----

The "average" American has no idea why cryptography is important to them.

It is the only way to begin preventing massive illegal domestic spying.

Currently, there are no restrictions on domestic use of unlimited strength
cryptography. That is not because the Government hasn't complained about
child pornographers or terrorists or other criminals who might use it.

No, that's the reason they are giving for why U.S. companies can't EXPORT
products, such as web browsers, outside U.S. territory, without compromising
it with Government "Key Recovery"; i.e. made stupider and breakable.

Why such an indirect control on what they claim is a domestic problem?

Because that is how 'The Creeping Police State' works.

Slowly, bit-by-bit.

Slowly, State-by-State everyone in the U.S. is being fingerprinted.

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:17:34 AM7/12/07
Then, not long after McLean moved to his current
: job, his new boss stood up on the Senate floor
: and bashed Pro-CODE in favor of the White
: House party line: "The President has put forward
: a plan which in good faith attempts to balance
: our nation's interests in commerce, security, and
: law enforcement."

Kerrey has since introduced a bill that parrots the Clinton administration's
philosophy:

* http://www.cdt.org/crypto/legis_105/mccain_kerrey/analysis.html
*
* Comparison: Major Features of the Administration and McCain-Kerrey Bills
*
* Administration Draft*
* McCain-Kerrey** [w. section#]
* Federal licensing of certificate
* authorities(CA) and key recovery
* agents
* Yes. Yes. [401-404]
*
* Linkage of CA's and key recovery:
* Encryption public key certificates only
* issued to users of key recovery
* Yes. Yes. [405]
*
* Export controls codified: 56-bit limit
* on encryption exports, no judicial
* review.
* No. Yes. [301-308]
*
* Crime for use of encryption in
* furtherance of a crime.
* Yes. Use of a licensed KRA
* is a defense.
* Yes. No KRA defense. [104]
*
* Crime for issuance of a key in
* furtherance of a crime.
* No. Yes. [105]
*
* Gov't access to keys by subpoena
* without notice and or judicial approval
* Yes. Yes. [106]
*
* Foreign gov't access to keys
* Yes. Yes. [106]
*
* Federal procureme

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:49:21 AM7/12/07
[...]

* an estimated 210 tons last year.
*
* Mexico's drug arrests plunged nearly 65 percent, from 2

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:43:47 PM7/11/07
[...]

He was a democratically elected Marxist, with 37% of the vote.

Allende immediately embarked on a massive nationalization of
the banks and major companies/industries in Chile.

In 1971, Stafford Beer began a project for Allende
to put the Chilean economy

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 12:47:17 AM7/12/07
In addition, they sent UNSOLICITED real child porno to the owner, and charged
him with possession of child porno.

No code of ethics or conduct.

No scruples.

Predatory pinheads.

----

* "WHITE HOUSE IS SET TO EASE ITS STANCE ON INTERNET SMUT"
* The New York Times, By John M. Broder, June 16 1997
*
* Administration officials, in a draft report dated June 4 1997, have been
* quietly fashioning a new communications policy that leaves most regulation
* of the Internet to industry and people themselves, due to an expected
* repudiation of the Communications Decency Act by the Supreme Court.
*
* Reno's people, [beating the Drum of War] told the Supreme Court "the
* Internet was a revolutionary threat to children rendering irrelevant all
* prior efforts" to protect them from pornography.
*
* "We all knew at the time it was passed that the Communications Decency Act
* WAS UNCONSTITUTIONAL," said an anonymous senior government official [yea
* anonymity!].
*
* "This was purely politics."
*

* The New York Times, April 19, 1992
*
* The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 ruling, overturn

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:49:52 AM7/12/07
from noise.
To pick out conversations from a massive dragnet. I even give the keyword
monitoring logic for spotting conversations of people actively searching
to leave their current job for another employer. First read this section.

*** "Secret Power" by Nicky Hager, 1996, ISBN 0-908802-35-8

GCSB is New Zealand's Government Communications Security Bureau.

P8-9
It was with some apprehension that I learned Nicky Hager was researching the
activity of our intelligence community. He has long been a pain in the
establishment's neck.

There are many things in the book with which I am familiar. I couldn't tell
him which was which. Nor can I tell you.

But it is an outrage that I and other ministers were told so little [yea NSA]
and this raises the question of to whom those concerned saw themselves
ultimately responsible.

David Lange
Prime Minister of New Zealand 1984-89

P9
Another aspect of the Second World War that carried over into the Cold War
era was the close co-operation between five countries - the United States,
the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand - formalized with the
UKUSA Security Agreement of 1948.

Although the treaty has never been made public, it has become clear that it
provided not only for a division of collecting tasks and sharing of the
product, but for common guidelines for the classification and protection
of the intelligence collected as well as for personnel security.

P20
New Zealand Prime Minister

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:52:12 PM7/11/07
the tremendous number of targets forces
the Agency to squeeze the watch lists together as tightly as possible.

P462-465: Its power to eavesdrop, the NSA had always insisted, came under no
earthly laws but rather emanated from some celestial "inherent presidential
authority" reposed in the chief executive by the Constitution.

Senator Edward M. Kennedy tried year after year to pass legislation to
require the NSA to submit to judicial review.

Finally, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act [FISA] was signed into
law by president Carter on October 25, 1978.

The key to the legislation could only have been dreamed up by Franz Kafka:
the establishment of a supersecret federal court.

The legislation established a complex authorization procedure and added a
strict "minimization" requirement to prohibit the use and distribution of
communications involving Americans inadvertently picked up during the
intercept operations.

These requirements constitute the most important parts of the FISA law, and
were included to prevent the watch-listing of American citizens, which took
place d

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:25:19 AM7/12/07
Democrats by a no-nonsense position on crime and
* criminals.
*
* It helped Republicans win the presidency, and it also gave them the
* tool by which to control the Democratic majorities in Congress that
* might allow their opponents to label them as soft on crime.
*
* No Democrat, except those in overwhelmingly Democratic districts, could
* afford to cast any votes in Congress that might allow their opponents
* to label them soft on crime.

A constant state of law enforcement hysteria.

The absolute pinnacle of War terminology was the phrase "Zero Tolerance".

We will monitor and prosecute mercilessly with mandatory minimums because
letting even one criminal not be caught means you are soft on crime.
Everyone is potentially guilty. We need a Police State to combat crime.

* USA Today, undated: HOME GARDEN RAIDS: Federal drug agents want to
* raid indoor home gardens in search of marijuana plants. The DEA has
* subpoenaed Florida garden centers to turn over records showing who
* has bought items like fluorescent lamps and plant food. [What???]

* CBS News, Dan Rather reporting. See this camera on a building at the
* mall? It's aimed at this lighting store's customers, recording them
* and the li

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 3:07:35 AM7/12/07
PD.
#6 - InterNic Registry Information for XXX.com and XXXX.com
#7 - One days WWW traffic snapshot from his personal WS poison.
#8 - A Day in the Life: a full days traffic,
excluding tons of XXX-support email
#9 - Misc traffic

# # #
# # ##
####### # #
# # # Executive summary
####### #
# # #
# # #####

These are the activities of Bob Brain that are forbidden:

o Transmitted out a source extensively maintained at SBI expense.
It is "productivity enhancing" software "SYBASE-MODE" lisp/emacs
for production use by Sybase SAs.

o Gave away these enhancements by labelling them Public Domain [PD],
and mailing into competitors such as Merrill Lynch.

o Has spent a LARGE amount of SBI time (inside SBI) working
on his own WWW business. Still actively does this.

o Transmitted a copyrighted script.
# This script is a commercial product. Giving or selling it to anyone
# is not permitted under any circumstances.

o Spends time as "helpdesk" for his distribution of SYBASE-MODE.

Furthermore, he has stated:

o he would like to leave Salomon

o would leave for half of his currently salary
to work fulltime on his WWW business.

His activities are clearly costly and detrimental to Salomon Brothers.

# # #####
# # # #
####### #
# # ##

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:48:48 AM7/12/07
monitor on your car.

o All your international calls now have a buddy listening in.

o most domestic calls are monitored; millions and millions...

o The police begin deploying Military technology to scan you as they drive
by in their police cars. Military tanks used by the FBI.
Military aircraft purchased by the BATF.

o Billions and billions and billions of dollars are diverted
from children and needy people to pay for it all.

o CALEA: all national infrastructure equipment must be designed
from the ground-up to be spied on by the government.

o Forfeiture laws mean:

- Federal and state officials now have the power to seize your
business, home, bank account, records and personal property,
all without indictment, hearing, or trial.

- Everything you have can be taken away at the whim of one or two
federal or state officials operating in secret

- The loss of basic American constitutional guarantees: due process,
the presumption of innocence, and the right to own and enjoy
private property

Imagine all that happened on one day.

What do you think would have happened next?

Civil war would have

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:12:30 AM7/12/07
as part of a sixth-grade project. He says
* he is interested in a Foreign Service career and worries about the
* effect the FBI files might have on his chances of obtaining security
* clearances. [snip]
*
* The Pattersons said that they began hearing interference on their
* telephone, including voices, after the visit by the FBI agent and that
* about 50 pieces of mail Todd received from foreign governments from 1983
* to 1988 showed signs of tampering.
*
* But a Justice Department lawyer told the court, "Just because they heard
* funny noises on their telephone and some foreign mail was damaged doesn't
* mean we should start rummaging through agency files and asking if there
* was a wiretap.

The FBI insists on keeping a file ("but we 'closed' it") on him even
though they should have seen he was not a threat to national security.

Fear, loathing, hysteria, and spying on our reading habits:

The FBI also had their counter-intelligence unit start a "Library Awareness
Program", which meant they wanted to know everyone who checked out certain
books.

What a bunch of peeping tommy guns!

* "LIBRARY SPY HUNT IS CURBED BY FBI", By Herbert Mitgang, NYT, 11/11/1988
*
* Bowing to pressure from a House subcommittee and continued resistance from
* librarians, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has set limits on its
* program seeking the help of librarians in "detecting Soviet spies."
*
* Under the Library Awareness Program. which the FBI says has been in exist-
* ence for years, librarians have been asked to report suspicious-looking
* people who might be Soviet spies, to be alert to which books and periodi-
* cals such people read or check out and to disclose the names and informa-
* tion about book borrowers suspected of using libraries for espionage
* purposes or recruiting library users for espionage [what???].
*
* FBI Director William S. Sessio

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 2:37:07 AM7/12/07
The novel '1984', about oppressive government, contains three key features:

o Massive surveillance mechanism
o Constant state of War
o Physical and psychological terror to
control targeted individuals and groups

The constant state of War is used by politicians to
control us little people. As it was in the book 1984.

Did you know the U.S. has been in a state of Drug War since the 1960s?

This section of the manifesto is about constantly beating the Drum of War...

* "1984", author George Orwell, 1949, ISBN 0-679-41739-7
*
* Winston could not definitely remember a time when his country had not
* been at war...war had literally been continuous, though strictly speaking
* it had not always been the same war.
*
* The enemy of the moment always represented absolute evil.

* "Taking Control - Politics in the Information Age"
* Authors Morely Winograd & Dudley Buffa, 1996, ISBN 0-8050-4489-2
*
* From Richard Nixon's law and order campaign in 1968 to

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:08:34 AM7/12/07

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:33:59 PM7/11/07
the government will call you a 'potential terrorist'
in court.

o Studies on the feasibility of monitoring all bank
transactions in real-time are ordered. ("So we can
compute FDIC insurance requirements in real-time")
Recommendation to proceed is given by law enforcement.

o Loss of rights if you are receiving government benefits:

- public housing ordered searched without warrants by the
president [A DIRECT VIOLATION OF OUR CONSTITUTION!]

- suspicionless searches of cars (NJ, for example)

- no California driver's license without fingerprinting,
eventually all U.S. citizens are fingerprinted

- no welfare benefits (NY for example) without fingerprinting

- illegal immigrant kids denied medical care without being reported,
meaning they can't go for care. It was quite a Song of Hate
California Governor Pete Wilson sung for that cruelty. He had
waited until CA schools were in dire shape before coming up
with this final solution.

o No restrictions or court authorization necessary for the
police to put a position tracking monitor on your car.

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:20:09 AM7/12/07
before a birth
# certificate will be issued for a newborn.
#
# The Family Support Act of 1988 forces a state to forfeit a portion of
# federal funds if it does not impose the requirement, which is intended
# to lead parents to believe the government will be able to chase them
# down later if they do not support their children.
#
# Ontario, Canada: Each newborn infant will now receive an ID number at
# birth and a plastic ID card to go with it.
#
# Privacy Journal, By Robert Ellis Smith, September 1991 issue
#
# A California taxpayer has successfully filed a tax return without
# providing Social Security numbers for her three children, as required
# by a 1986 federal law, but the IRS is quite happy if nobody knows about
# the case.
#
# The woman claims that the enumeration is a violation of her religious
# beliefs. Like many fundamental Christians, she relies on a Biblical
# passage warning that whoever worships a Satanic beast that issues a mark
# OR NUMBER to all persons will incur the wrath of God.
#
# Initially, the IRS disallowed her claims and child care deductions.
#
# The woman claimed that just because she didn't provide numbers for her
# children did not mean that the children did not exist. An appeals officer
# agreed and overruled the auditor, saying that there was no deficiency
# in the woman's tax return.

----

Here is a more detailed example of how government expands surveillance
(and thus control) in a seemingly never-ending manner...consider this when
talking about a National ID Card:

Is it okay for the government to look at your property while walking by and
if the officer spots marijuana plants growing to get a search warrant?

Of course it is.

* "The Right To Privacy", ISBN 0-679-74434-7, 1997
* By Attorneys Ellen Alderman and Caroline Kennedy
*
* ...then the Supreme Court ruled that if the yard was big enough that "An
* individual

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:55:59 AM7/12/07
systems are UNIX-based.

So is my code!!!

Runs under SunOS/Solaris UNIX on a Sun Microsystems SPARC 5 or SPARC 10.

Small world, in so many ways, ain't it?

: ---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:----
: Timothy C. May | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
: tc...@got.net 408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
: W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
: Higher Power: 2^1398269 | black markets, collapse of governments.
: "National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

If you put the same fixed text in your traffic to trigger "noise" pickup:
it is put into the exclusion logic. Don't bother.

Of course, if you are Cypherpunk Tim May (or his wife), all your traffic
--- including phone calls --- gets its own daily summary file regardless
of content.

That's what I did (for company Internet traffic) when activities made it
prudent to put someone on the individual 'watch list'.
(For example, "Bob Brain".)

----

Then there was a manager under heavy stress, who was pissed at top management,
knew his department had a good chance of getting cut in the next several
months, then the talk turned to guns...

This was a very long diatribe; only a little is shown here because I got
tired re-writing the words so it's not literally their traffic anymore.

In email he sounded like a major flake. In person he sounded normal.

***************** BEGIN OF JOBTALK EXCERPT *******************************

An oddity: a Xxxxx Yyyyyyy is getting stressed out by his are

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 3:11:21 AM7/12/07
AND OTHER LAW ENFORCEMENT PURPOSES.
*
* It should be noted that, since my revelations in 1994, Congressman Neal
* Smith and his office refuse to answer inquiries about the National
* Identification Center.
*
* However, in a recent article in Federal Computer Week, a Washington, D.C.
* magazine for federal employees, basically admitted the existence of this
* Center and its activities.
*
* In his article, "Federal Agencies Link, Share Databases," John Monroe said:
*
* Law enforcement agencies across the federal government have poured
* money into information technology programs. According to the Government
* Market Services Division, federal agencies will spend 5.5 billion
* dollars on law enforcement technology between 1995 and 1999...
*
* The common link between in these programs is to build an information
* substructure: A WEB OF CONNECTED DATABASES AND HIGH SPEED NETWORKS
* THAT WILL MAKE DATA INSTANTLY AVAILABLE TO FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL
* LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS.
*
* The federal government's goal is to BRING RANDOM PIECES OF DATA
* TOGETHER TO GET A MORE COMPLETE PICTURE---WHAT SOME CALL INTELLIGENCE.

Wow. All federal agencies will be linked together in a vast intelligence
network. Handheld fingerprint devices will be deployed. Obviously.

They are working around the limitations Congress wanted on NCIC 2000.

And how much hardware is a handheld fingerprint device?

* "Lucent in New Identification Joint Venture"
* The New York Times, 5/22/97
*
*

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:23:10 AM7/12/07
to E-Z Pass.

Wow.

: charting the progress of a manhunt can be projected.
:
: Law enforcement officials, at stations in three semicircular tiers of
: desks, can watch---and direct---as criminals are caught in the act.
:
: Their computer mouse screen pointers are a gun icon.

OH MY GAWD!!!!

WHAT'S NEXT, THE WHOLE DAMN COUNTRY???

What is this?

* Su

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:20:19 AM7/12/07
sticker on it and drive right on in, y'all. Welcome to the USA.

If you want to really be certain, hide the A-bomb in a truck full of cocaine.

If a terrorist nuclear bomb ever goes off in this country,
it drove in from Mexico.

Meanwhile, Los Alamos National Laboratories developed technology that
allows an officer walking or driving down the street, as shown on MSNBC TV
6/9/97 www.TheSite.com, to determine whether anyone on the sidewalk is
carrying a gun.

The priorities are all out of whack.

Apply Military technology towards securing the border, not by spending
billions and billions and billions each year to secure each and every
one of us.

We don't put governing-monitors on all car engines to control speeding.
Get an Operations Research clue.

Is our government perpetuating the availability of drugs?

The 60 Minutes report sure makes it look like it is.

How could letting unchecked Mexican truck after unchecked Mexican truck
through not be?

! FBI Director Louis J. Freeh, Senate Judiciary Committee, June 4, 1997
!
! NEW CORRIDORS HAVE OPENED TO CONTINUE THE FLOOD OF DRUGS INTO AMERICA.

No shit, Sherlock! Ya don't nafta say another word.

Every single truck can be checked using Military technology.

Robots build our American cars: make a wide range of standardized "Nafta"
containers and have robots empty the trucks (obviously not tanker trucks,
that's a different robot-checking line), have the robots inspect the
containers under the scrutiny of customs agents, then r

Volker Hetzer

Jul 11, 2007, 11:35:06 PM7/11/07
C. McKinley Jr, The New York Times, 1994?
#
# Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani and the majority leader of the State Senate
# have agreed to a plan linking Medicaid with a plan to fingerprint welfare
# recipients.
#
# Later in the day Mr. Giuliani said he would favor allowing law-enforcement
# agencies access to the fingerprint records of welfare recipients.
#
# "You wouldn't want any criminals getting welfare."

[...]

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 3:05:22 AM7/12/07
********** end excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

Nothing was done: I had completely overwhelmed Salomon Legal with security
incidents, and many were ignored.

In general, when you catch something in the backups, there are two choices:

o Grin and bear it
o File criminal or civil charges in court

Two of the security incidents found in the backups qualified for criminal
prosecution.

One was a source for the Finance Desk Trading System [FDTS].

********** begin excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

>Date: Tue, 7 May 96 23:38:00 EDT
>From: guy
>To: vivian
>Subject: Jan 26 1996 REDHOT
>Cc: <others>

Vivian,

On Jan 26 1996:

18,184 lines of C++ source of something called "basis" for FDTS.

Here was the radar hit:

*********************************
Filename: Jan_26_96/dfAA05811 Size: 207496, Dated: Jan 26 08:30
Sender: apoo@snowball (Art Poo)
Recipient: NA...@newscorp.com
**** UUencoding, Filename='b.Z'

Your Excellency,

Make this floopy-bound. Bring it to esi this evening.
Thank you.

begin 600 b.Z
*********************************

Mr. Poo no longer seems to be with us.

His id is gone from his system, and someone else has his phone number.

It's an api that accesses some sort of indexed info, creates some sort
of report, is an X-windows deal.

I found the name of the recipient:

NAME XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Oracle / NewsCorp Online Ventures
TITLE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
abcd...@newscorp.com XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:27:06 AM7/12/07
he arrested for? Suspicion of drug dealing. (I'm guessing here.)

Did he have any drugs? None.

How do you arrest someone for drugs when they don't have any? I don't know.

What did he have? Electronic components: crystals.

No, not Starship Dilithium Crystals; just radio shack components.

Haverford Police put out word they had Ed Cummings; the Federal government
responded that they wanted the state case. It was transferred to the Feds.

Specifically, the Secret Service wanted to prosecute him.

Why the Secret Service? Because Ed was associated with the 2600 hacker's
publication. And because he had photographed a Secret Service agent who
had come snooping around. The Secret Service agent was picking their nose.
The local TV station showed it.

To which the Secret Service agents responded:

"Don't fuck with us. We're the biggest gang in town."

No other reason.

What eventually happened in court?

For possession of a 'red box' - a simpleton tone device that can fool
telco computers into making free calls even though the same computers
spot its usage:

> In the words of Ed Cummings, "I was forced to make a deal with the devil."
>
> The government had found data on a commercial diskette in his possession
> which they say was related to cellular fraud in California. While Ed says
> he has no idea what it is they're referring to, the odds of a jury being
> able to understand how someone could have a diskette and not be held
> accountable for every bit of data on it seemed uncomfortably slim.
>
> Also, by pleading guilty at this point and in this manner, Bernie will be
> sentenced in 10 days and will most likely be released at that time since
> he has already served the time he would probably be sentenced to.
>
> Of course, the down side to this is the fact that the federal government
> will interpret this as a

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 2:00:18 AM7/12/07
control.

As far as I know, this is the only documented instance of someone
attempting this; deploying cybernetic controls nationwide.

* "Brain of the Firm", Stafford Beer, 1986, ISBN 0 471 27687 1
*
* All of this involved a massive and continuing exercise in (what I should
* call, in the original World War II sense) operational research. That is
* exactly what it was: research by highly qualified interdisciplinary teams,
* into operations, namely production companies, with the prospect of
* discovering models and sets of measures.
*
* We needed a group who understood the operational research techniques of
* data capture that were needed for project Cybersyn. As a Briton I knew
* whom I wanted --- they were a group of consultants within the London
* branch of the international firm of Arthur Anderson and Co.
*
* Project Cybercyn objective: To install a preliminary system of information
* and regulation for the industrial economy that will demonstrate the main
* features of cybernetic management and begin to help in the task of actual
* decision-making by March 1st 1972.

Under the circumstances of a nationalized economy, it was a positive thing.

It was a massive application of cybernetic feedback to help each industry
and each factory keep track of itself through a central location. All
communications flowed through the central location.

This is what Stafford Beer refers to as 'Brain of the Firm'. It was located
in Santiago, Chile.

For NSA, it is Fort Meade in Maryland, USA.

* "Brain of the Firm", Stafford Beer, 1986, ISBN 0 471 27687 1
*
* Project Cybercyn

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 2:51:00 AM7/12/07
for the government."
#
# Consortium mumbers include state welfare agencies, driver's license
# bureaus, the Immigration and Naturalization Service, the Social Security
# Administration, and the Internal Revenue Service.

If my attempts to show how bad a thing this is have been too rambling,
too abstract, here is a simple and accurate analogy:

* "Project L.U.C.I.D.", by Texe Marrs, 1996, ISBN 1-884302-02-5
*
* It was Martin Anderson who, in his book, Revolution, revealed that during
* the Reagan administration during the 1980s, several top cabinet officials
* were urging President Ronald Reagan to implement a computerized National
* I.D. Card.
*
* The rationale for the proposal was that such a system would help put a lid
* on illegal immigration. [Reagan had been Governor of California]
*
* But Anderson, who at the time was a domestic advisor to the President and
* sat in on this particular cabinet meeting, spoke up and gave the group
* something to think about.
*
* "I would like to suggest another way that I think is a lot better," he
* told them, serious in demeanor but clearly being facetious. "It's a lot
* cheaper, it can't be counterfeited. It's very lightweight, and it's
* impossible to lose. It's even waterproof."
*
* "All we have to do," Anderson continued, "is tattoo an identification
* number on the inside of everybody's arm."
*
* His reference was to the tattooing of numbers on victims in Nazi
* concentration camps. Survivors still bear the dreaded tattoo markings
* to this day.
*
* Mr. Anderson described the st

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:16:19 AM7/12/07
on application packaging (FOR DUMB
PEOPLE). Yeah, I know you taught me it already, but I've forgotten it all.
I need to roll out packaging mechanisms here at Jefferies. I really miss
all the infrastructure mechanisms I took for granted at Salomon.

********** end excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

That document was labelled as Salomon proprietary on each page.

The FBI got search warrants and went into Jefferies and took control of
a couple systems, and went home with the Ex-Salomon person and searched
there and took his computer systems. [The case is still pending @6/97]

The code is simple. It's choosing the keyword filtration sequence that's
tricky. I figured out how to determine it in an almost systemic way. Oddly
enough, I needed no keywords for specifically seeking out source code.

So, keyword monitoring is highly effective, I could even cover three feeds,
and, sigh, I should mention that it took well less than 5000 lines of
programming source code for me to implement it.

And I generated two FBI cases.

[
Think of what could happen should the FBI get its implementation of
the CALEA bill. They could go nuts, and say "see, that proves we need
to monitor thousands of phone calls simultaneously".

And

Phil Carmody

Jul 11, 2007, 11:46:26 PM7/11/07
it.

The U.S. Government wants to know every banking transaction in the world
in real-time.

What does it look like to you?

* "Project L.U.C.I.D.", by Texe Marrs, 1996, ISBN 1-884302-02-5
*

* [The joint Australian/NSA building contains:]
* A small, but highly significant, part of the building is, in fact,
* occupied by Telecom. This is the part that contains the networking
* junctions for the optical-fiber lines leased by the banks for their
* "Electronic Funds Transfer System" (EFTS). ALL financial transactions
* for the banks pass through there via subsidiary company, "Funds
* Transfers Services Pty Ltd." (FTS)
*
* All Australian EFT transactions are on record at Fort Meade.

* "The End of Ordinary Money, Part I", by J. Orlin Grabbe
* http://www.aci.net/kalliste
*
* The most important communications network for international financial
* market transactions is the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial
* Telecommunication (SWIFT), a not-for-profit cooperative.
*
* This system for transferring foreign exchange deposits and loans began
* actual operation in May 1977 and by 1990 had 1,812 members, and connected
* 3,049 banks and securities industry participants in eight-four countries.
*
* In 1993 SWIFT began asking users of its messaging system to include a
* purpose of payment in all messages, as well as payers, payees, and
* intermediaries. This type of arrangement would allow NSA computers
* to use keyword monitoring to scan for any names in which they were
* interested.

! FBI Director Louis J. Freeh, Senate Judiciary Committee, June 4, 1997
!

! NOT THAT LONG AGO, NO ONE PERCEIVED THAT TELEPHONE SYSTEMS COULD BECOME
! UNTAPPABLE, THE NECESSITY FOR STRONG PARTNERSHIPS BETWEEN LOCAL, STATE,
! FEDERAL AND INTERNATIONAL LAW ENFORCEMENT IS MORE URGENT.

* Electronic Privacy Information Center, http://www.epic.org
*
* "

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:42:25 AM7/12/07
Louis Freeh told the National Press Club that homicides have almost
* tripled since 1960, his audience had to have been disturbed. Freeh's
* picture of a grim, seemingly inevitable upward surge in what has always
* been considered among the most heinous crimes is indeed a frightening
* prospect.
*
* But once again, like a car salesman trying to make his monthly quota,
* Freeh pushes too hard. First of all, his claim that there are now
* nearly three times more homicides than in 1960 ignored the important
* fact that the nation's population grew substantially during that period.
*
* When this factor is taken into account, the picture still looks bad, but
* not quite as bad as Freeh suggested. While the *numbers* of murders did
* indeed almost triple, the murder *rate* barely doubled:
*
* In 1992, 10.4 murders per 100,000 people
* In 1960, 4.7 murders per 100,000 people
*
* Amazing as it may seem that a leading law enforcement official might
* try to buttress his cases through the selective use of statistics, that
* was hardly the end of it.
*
* When the FBI director selected the years to illuminate his thesis for the
* National Press Club, he compared a year when the nation's homicide rate
* was at one of its *all-time lowest* points to that of a year when the rate
* was near its *all-time high*. [extended discussion of homicides followed]
*
* Such selective use of statistics is dishonest.
*
* It is impossible to know what was going through Louis Freeh's mind as he
* delivered his distorted, exaggerated and fundamentally flawed crime speech
* to the National Press Club.
*
* We do know however, that for many decades, law enforcement officials
* across the nation have advanced their careers and promoted their
* political agendas by chanting the same Mantra of the Scary Numbers.

Louis Freeh: "Th

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 3:10:32 AM7/12/07
"the accident was not caused by marijuana." It
* deliberately ignores his admissions of drinking alcohol, snacking,
* watching TV, generally failing to pay adequate attention to his job,
* AND DELIBERATELY JAMMING THE TRAIN'S SAFETY EQUIPMENT prior to the
* accident.
[snip]
*
* And in yet another ad, the lies finally got them in trouble. The ad showed
* two brain wave charts which it said showed the brain waves of a 14-year-
* old "on marijuana".
*
* Outraged, researcher Dr. Donald Blum from the UCLA neurological studies
* center told KABC TV (Los Angelos) news November 2, 1989, that the chart
* actually shows the brain waves of someone in a deep sleep --- or a coma.
*
* He said he had previously complained directly to the Partnership for a
* Drug Free America and they ignored him. They finally pulled the ads.
[snip]
*
* The Heath/Tulane Study of 1974 has been widely sited nationally as
* evidence that marijuana is harmful. One set of Rhesus monkeys began
* to atrophy and die after 90 days of pot smoking.
*
* When Playboy and NORMAL finally received the methodology of the study
* in 1980 after six years of trying, they were stunned.
*
* The Rhesus monkeys had been strapped into a chair and pumped the
* equivalent of 63 Columbian strength joints in "five minutes, through
* gas masks," losing no smoke.
*
* The monkeys were

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:45:34 AM7/12/07
report to the ECHELON system

P37
United States spy satellites, designed to intercept communications from orbit
above the earth, are also likely to be connected into the ECHELON system.

These satellites either move in orbits that criss-cross the earth or, like
the Intelsats, sit above the Equator in geostationary orbit.

They have antennae that can scoop up very large quantities of radio
communications from the areas below.

A final element of the ECHELON system are facilities that tap directly into
land-based telecommunications systems, completing a near total coverage of
the world's communications.

The microwave networks are made up of chains of microwave towers relaying
messages from hilltop to hilltop (always within line of sight) across the
countryside. These networks shunt large quantities of communications across
a country. Intercepting them gives access to international underseas
communications (once they surface) and to international communication trunk
lines across continents.

They are also an obvious target for large-scale interception of domestic
communications. Of course, when the microwave route is across one of the
UKUSA countries' territory it is much easier to arrange interception.

P41
The ECHELON system has created an awesome spying capacity for the United
States, allowing it to monitor continuously most of the world's communications.

It is an important component of its power and influence in the post-Cold War
world order, and advances in computer processing technology continue to
increase this capacity.

The NSA pushed for the creation of this system and has the supreme position
within it. It has subsidized the allies by providing the sophisticated
computer programs used in the sy

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 1:07:34 AM7/12/07
Louis Freeh said: "We are at a crossroads."

Indeed we are.

Netscape has had to ink a deal with a German crypto company.
Sun has arranged a third-party deal in Europe too.
RSA has announced similar plans.

It is estimated the U.S. crypto companies and employees will lose four billion
dollars by the year 2000.

But as you know, there is a larger concern too.

The level of our nakedness before the
government's massive surveillance systems.

* Privacy: Experience, Understanding, Expression
* by Orlo Strunk, Jr., 1982, ISBN 0-8191-2688-8
*
[...]

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:51:32 AM7/12/07
86 lib_inc/ArrClasT.h
[snip of 247 lines]
38696 total

********** end excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

Another major category of security incidents are what I've named:

o Dumb-and-Dumber

********** begin excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

> Date: Thu, 23 May 96 11:52:04 EDT
> From: guy
> To: vivian [Salomon lawyer to whom I reported]
> Subject: Snarf: Two Redhots May 21/22 1996
> Cc: mon_c
>
> Vivian,
>
> Redhot #1)
>
> : *********************************
> : Filename: May_21_96/dfAA12846 Size: 59853, Dated: May 21 07:08
> : From: someone@sbixxx (Lara M.)
> : Recipient: nnnnn...@CompuServe.COM
> : Subject: Re: Can You?
> : *********************************
>
> Lara M. sent 1900 lines of C++ source to ex-SBI consultant Roger Rogers,
> at his request. (One of numerous instances of SBI people doing such).
>
> The full transmission is enclosed.
>
> * Name : ReconGen.cc
> * Name : ReconGen::ReconGen()
> * Name : LogError
> * Name : processQuery
> * Name : writeGenFile
> * Name : openGeneratedFile
> * Name : StartUp
> * Name : ReconTool.cc
> * Name : ReconTool::ReconTool()
> * Name : loadConfig
> * Name : getData
> * Name : getMultiData
> * Name : LogError
> * Name : readTableNames
> * Name : constructSqlStatement
> * Name : processQuery
> * Name : storeColumnData - gets various column attributes
> * Name : lookupInTableB
> * Name : printReportRow
> * Name : printEnd

Volker Hetzer

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 12:25:41 AM7/12/07
to me".

The email recipient is a Fred XXXXXXX, who works at PEI,
"Tel: (718) nnn-nnnn, Fax: (718) nnn-nnnn".

Another referenced person, "Gary", has the skills/job for making brochures.
Gary has an email name of "xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxx" at ISP ATT.
He receives a copy of Mr. Busy's email via Fred, might work at PEI too.
They also have a database programmer, possibly Fred.

Enclosed trailing are the actual emails.

Prepared by Guy on 10/30/96.

[final snip]

:Date: Mon, 6 May 96 18:02:24 EDT
:From: guy
:To: tmig@sbi
:Subject: Bob Brain report
:Cc: <others>

This is a report on the Internet traffic of Bob Brain.

The Internet is a public wire, which Salomon is obligated
to monitor for security/compliance reasons.

Mr. Brain showed up on radar when he transferred out
over 12,000 lines of source code which was extensively
maintained by more than one Salomon person, to Merrill Lynch.

His individual traffic (public Internet) was then pulled
from backups.

This is the summary report of what has been found.

Prepared by Guy, 5/6/96.

##### ####### # # ####### ####### # # ####### #####
# # # # ## # # # ## # # # #
# # # # # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # ##### # # # # #####
# # # # # # # # # # # # #

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 1:08:57 AM7/12/07
I Can See What You Are Thinking
- --- --- ---- --- --- --------

In the complaint, I breathlessly described being able to see more than just
dry security incidents. The point was germane to my analysis that one of the
reasons the corrupt member of Salomon's Internal Audit department could
seemingly not be punished by anyone was that his job as financial traffic
analysis person made him privy to the most damaging unreported SEC violations
that anyone at Salomon would know about.

If you spot criminal behavior, it is a very personal thing to the employee.

********** begin excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

: I could see not only regular security incidents, but also who was queer,
: what your medical ailments are, whether you were looking for another job,
: where you lived, who you screwed, what you did on your off hours...

********** end excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

One can see personal things, and the government often acts like a
psychological terrorist. It doesn't matter which party has the presidency.

What could I see?

: from male@company
: I am hung like a dragon.

Wait, I'll get to that stuff.

Here is an example of a "resume hit" report.

I had created an analytic to spot (among other things)
people leaving the firm...

***************** BEGIN OF JOBTALK EXCERPT *******************************

************************

Volker Hetzer

Jul 12, 2007, 2:29:27 AM7/12/07
Agency
* (DARPA), headed for many years by current Secretary of Defense, William
* Perry. In fact, much of the surveillance technology being introduced in
* the private sector was fostered, funded and even directed by government
* agencies.
*
* Once the utility of tracking Alzheimer's patients was demonstrated, it was
* inevitable that someone would consider applications in children. As
* kidnappings and murders of children gain a higher media profile, we are
* likely to hear calls for the use of child tracking devices. The proposed
* panacea could someday be the implantable microchip.
*
* Incredibly, someone was working on just such a system back in 1989.
* According to the Arizona Republic of July 20th, 1989, inventor Jack
* Dunlap was working on a product known as KIDSCAN, designed to help
* locate children who have been kidnapped or murdered.
*
* The article states: "Each child whose parents signed up for
* KIDSCAN would get a computer chip planted under the skin and an
* identification number. The chip would transmit a signal that would bounce
* off a satellite and be picked up by police on a computer-screen map."
*
* The syringe implantable biochip
*
* Which brings us to what is undoubtedly the most fearsome potential threat
* in the surveillance arsenal -- one that should raise the hairs on the neck
* of even the most trusting techno-child of the nineties. It is the
* implantable biochip transponder.
*
* When implanted under the skin of the subject, the biochip will emit low
* frequency FM radio waves that can travel gre

Phil Carmody

Jul 12, 2007, 2:43:01 AM7/12/07
is a probation violation.

> And Special Agent Thomas Varney spent a great deal of effort to see that
> this is exactly what happened. He made multiple trips to Easton and
> convinced the local authorities to lock Cummings up as if he were the
> most sadistic of killers.
>
> On Friday, Cummings' probation officer did an aboutface and told the
> court that he thought Cummings represented a very great danger to the
> community. Outside the courtroom, he and the other local law enforcement
> people crowded around Varney like kids surrounding a rock star. He was
> their hero and maybe one day they would be just like him.

Well, isn't that strange: the Secret Service taking a strong interest in
the probation violation hearing of Ed Cummings for taking batteries out
of a tone dialer.

Not only were they interested, they testified against him!

> HERE WE GO AGAIN
>
> 1/12/96. In addition to the judge, Northampton County probation officer
> Scott Hoke, Secret Service agent Tom Varney, and Haverford Township
> detective John Morris were in attendance. Varney and Morris arrived
> in the same car.
>
> Tom Varney of the Secret Service then told the judge that he believed
> Cummings to be a major threat to society and

It is loading more messages.