liquid paper/whiteout: What is good solvent/thinner?

ron_s...@my-deja.com

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
I used to be able to buy "whiteout thinner" at rediculously
expensive-for-the-quantity prices, in little white-out sized bottles.
Now the local Office Depot, etc. doesn't carry it....with one clerk
claiming that the thinner "was banned and the whiteout's are now
water-based anyway"!

Well, it says "Flammable" right on the white out bottle and sure smells
like a volitile hydrocarbon to me!

So what would the formerly-available whiteout-thinner have been? Is it a
product easily available from a chemical supply house? I imagine several
things could substitute. If possible I wouldn't want one that stinks
worse than the whiteout itself.

Thanks!

-Ron Snider-

--
***My Karma ran over my Dogma***
- Anonymous (?)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Andrea Gansz

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99

ron_s...@my-deja.com schrieb:

> I used to be able to buy "whiteout thinner" at rediculously
> expensive-for-the-quantity prices, in little white-out sized bottles.
> Now the local Office Depot, etc. doesn't carry it....with one clerk
> claiming that the thinner "was banned and the whiteout's are now
> water-based anyway"!

AFAIK, the thinner used to be 1,2-dichloroethane until a few years ago, at
least here in europe. I suppose it was exchanged because of possible
toxicity/cancerogenity, but I do not know what it has been replaced by. The
original liquid might be available from pharmacies, an of course from
chemical suppliers/wholesalers.

aggy

Uncle Al

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
ron_s...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I used to be able to buy "whiteout thinner" at rediculously
> expensive-for-the-quantity prices, in little white-out sized bottles.
> Now the local Office Depot, etc. doesn't carry it....with one clerk
> claiming that the thinner "was banned and the whiteout's are now
> water-based anyway"!
>
> Well, it says "Flammable" right on the white out bottle and sure smells
> like a volitile hydrocarbon to me!
>
> So what would the formerly-available whiteout-thinner have been? Is it a
> product easily available from a chemical supply house? I imagine several
> things could substitute. If possible I wouldn't want one that stinks
> worse than the whiteout itself.

The real stuff used 1,1,1-trichlorethane as solvent which was cheap,
effective, and safe. This violated the Three Cardinal Rules of
Environmntalism: Expensive, Shabby, Deadly. Consider airbags or MTBE
in gasoline.

--
Uncle Al Schwartz
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

ron_s...@my-deja.com

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
Thanks guys!

While I have your attention: what is a good general purpose thinner for
dried-out "magic markers"?

-Ron Snider-

Barry Hunt

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
to ron_s...@my-deja.com

ron_s...@my-deja.com wrote:

Plain old ethanol works quite well on most types. Ethyl acetate if you want
a slower evap. rate.
regards
Barry Hunt

Barry Hunt

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
to ron_s...@my-deja.com

ron_s...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I used to be able to buy "whiteout thinner" at rediculously
> expensive-for-the-quantity prices, in little white-out sized bottles.
> Now the local Office Depot, etc. doesn't carry it....with one clerk
> claiming that the thinner "was banned and the whiteout's are now
> water-based anyway"!
>
> Well, it says "Flammable" right on the white out bottle and sure smells
> like a volitile hydrocarbon to me!
>
> So what would the formerly-available whiteout-thinner have been? Is it a
> product easily available from a chemical supply house? I imagine several
> things could substitute. If possible I wouldn't want one that stinks
> worse than the whiteout itself.
>

> Thanks!
>
> -Ron Snider-
>
> --
> ***My Karma ran over my Dogma***
> - Anonymous (?)

Here in Aus. we used to have 111Trichloroethane which was banned mainly for
ozone-layer reasons (rather than toxicity as such).
Then we had Hydrocarbon - prob. hexanes/heptanes fraction. This is of course
flammable!!
Now we have water-based, which is environmentally low-impact, fairly low
toxicity, and doesn't work very well - if it did we would have used it in
the first place. The water makes the stuff horribly slow drying, and it
swells the fibres in the paper leaving a permanent blotch.

regards

Barry Hunt

Mark Spowage

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
Well, Tipex used to be dissolved in 1,1,1-trichloroethane. However, this is
not flammable and would therefore not account for the labelling. Therefore,
in USA where I presume you are situated, a different solvent may have been
used. Try acetone which is nail varnish remover, available from all high
street chemists (pharmacists).

Spow.

p.s. Why don't you just buy some new liquid paper or, alternatively,
remember to shake the bottle before and after use, after tightening the cap
correctly.

ron_s...@my-deja.com

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
I am located in Canada, and I suspect the same solvents are used, as in
the US, as the brands are US-based.

The caps are always put back on tightly...but still the shelf-life of
the current crop of whiteout's seems awfully short. Maybe it's the
brand.

In article <7j9int$1k0$1...@epos.tesco.net>,

Uncle Al

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
ron_s...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I am located in Canada, and I suspect the same solvents are used, as in
> the US, as the brands are US-based.
>
> The caps are always put back on tightly...but still the shelf-life of
> the current crop of whiteout's seems awfully short. Maybe it's the
> brand.

Original Liquid Paper: Inexpensive, excellent, safe.
Environmentalist-improved Liquid Paper: Expensive, shoddy, deadly.
Eden has been reborn. If you do not like it, then you are not qualified
to judge. THOUGHTCRIME!

mick.ch...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2014, 7:44:47 PM3/10/14
On Wednesday, 2 June 1999 17:00:00 UTC+10, ron_s...@my-deja.com wrote:
> I used to be able to buy "whiteout thinner" at rediculously
> expensive-for-the-quantity prices, in little white-out sized bottles.
> Now the local Office Depot, etc. doesn't carry it....with one clerk
> claiming that the thinner "was banned and the whiteout's are now
> water-based anyway"!
>
> Well, it says "Flammable" right on the white out bottle and sure smells
> like a volitile hydrocarbon to me!
>
> So what would the formerly-available whiteout-thinner have been? Is it a
> product easily available from a chemical supply house? I imagine several
> things could substitute. If possible I wouldn't want one that stinks
> worse than the whiteout itself.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ron Snider-
>
> --
> ***My Karma ran over my Dogma***
> - Anonymous (?)

I use unleaded petrol as thinner. not perfect but good enough for personal use and cheap.

Frank

Mar 10, 2014, 7:52:02 PM3/10/14

trddo...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2016, 7:31:40 PM9/23/16
Isopropyl alcohol works fine.

drmar...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2016, 12:57:47 PM12/6/16
Coleman stove fuel works for the newer "fast dry". I think the manufacturer uses naptha.

Mike da Vinci

Feb 8, 2017, 9:41:13 AM2/8/17
On Wednesday, June 2, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, ron_s...@my-deja.com wrote:
> I used to be able to buy "whiteout thinner" at rediculously
> expensive-for-the-quantity prices, in little white-out sized bottles.
> Now the local Office Depot, etc. doesn't carry it....with one clerk
> claiming that the thinner "was banned and the whiteout's are now
> water-based anyway"!
>
> Well, it says "Flammable" right on the white out bottle and sure smells
> like a volitile hydrocarbon to me!
>
> So what would the formerly-available whiteout-thinner have been? Is it a
> product easily available from a chemical supply house? I imagine several
> things could substitute. If possible I wouldn't want one that stinks
> worse than the whiteout itself.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ron Snider-
>
> --
> ***My Karma ran over my Dogma***
> - Anonymous (?)

Acetone works very well.

ifyouspa...@gmail.com

May 3, 2017, 2:55:45 PM5/3/17
REPLY DATE 03 MAY 2017 -
Try different things.
Who wants to go to the store to buy something that might not work when you get home? Not me. So I tried solvents that I already had around the house.
If you go to the store, just buy some new correction fluid.
Now for what worked and didn't work...
I tested a small amount of acetone on a small drop of correction fluid, but the acetone did not combine well with the correction fluid. (I don't want to mention any brand names, but the initials of the correction fluid mfgr. are B.I.C.)

I had acceptable success with QD ELECTRONIC CLEANER (Company initials C.R.C.)
The product label lists Isohexane, Difluoroethane, and other solvents.
Good luck.

tamara...@mtmc.edu

Sep 19, 2017, 11:29:01 AM9/19/17
On Wednesday, June 2, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, ron_s...@my-deja.com wrote:
> I used to be able to buy "whiteout thinner" at rediculously
> expensive-for-the-quantity prices, in little white-out sized bottles.
> Now the local Office Depot, etc. doesn't carry it....with one clerk
> claiming that the thinner "was banned and the whiteout's are now
> water-based anyway"!
>
> Well, it says "Flammable" right on the white out bottle and sure smells
> like a volitile hydrocarbon to me!
>
> So what would the formerly-available whiteout-thinner have been? Is it a
> product easily available from a chemical supply house? I imagine several
> things could substitute. If possible I wouldn't want one that stinks
> worse than the whiteout itself.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ron Snider-
>
> --
> ***My Karma ran over my Dogma***
> - Anonymous (?)

According to SDS on 9/2017, Petroleum Naptha

main...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2018, 6:43:25 PM1/22/18
I used 'paint thinner' on every occasion. It's always somewhere in the garage already.

kentn...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2018, 12:21:30 AM9/29/18

kentn...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2018, 12:22:17 AM9/29/18

kentn...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2018, 12:24:49 AM9/29/18
I use lighter fluid AKA Camp stove Fuel- Just a little squirt in the bottle and you can soak the tip in the cap upsidedown...a gallon will last you long time. ( find a camping friend?)

dwada...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2018, 6:01:28 PM12/28/18
Dec 2018
Added a few drops of _paint thinner_ (mineral spirits) via eyedropper to a dried-up bottle of BIC WiteOut. To my surprise it worked OK.
1) With vigorous shaking it dissolved the built-up crud in the bottle's neck, which was impressive.
2) Fluid stroked evenly across paper with no lumps & hid the underlying print.
3) Dried in a couple minutes, not real quick but fast enough to be acceptable.
4) Wrote over the correction with a ballpoint pen smoothly with no cracking, crumbling or other issue.
5) Using the thinned fluid gives a slight whiff of thinner, but no worse than original.

BTW water did not work as a solvent at all.

jrhil...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2019, 4:43:38 PM6/15/19
On Saturday, 24 September 2016 01:31:40 UTC+2, trddo...@gmail.com wrote:
> Isopropyl alcohol works fine.

Hi folks. I have just tried a few drops of Lighter Fluid in one bottle of correction fluid and a few drops of Isopropyl Alcohol in another bottle of correction fluid and they both work well although I prefer the result with the Isopropyl Alcohol because it results in a slightly smoother surface once it's dry. I'm using a non-water based product called Primeline correction fluid which seems to be no longer available where I live.

tootsr...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2019, 10:04:33 PM6/23/19
Hi Mark, I took your advice about the acetone, first using a little 100% acetone nail polish remover to remove some of the “Wite Out Correction Fluid” that got on my hand, and it worked well. So then I added a few drops to the bottle of “Wite Out” (which had become thick to the point of going on in lumpy streaks looking worse than the mistake I was correcting) and the improvement is outstanding — like a brand new bottle of the stuff. 👍