What is the taxonomy of E. coli?

robert l canon

Jun 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/4/95
I need to find out what phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species
that e coli belongs to. ( The Kingdom is procaryotae, right?)

Also, what is that memory device that helps you remember all of the
classifications?

victim of the social sciences

John C. Zoeckler

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
The taxonomy of monerans is not quite as straightforeward as that
of some of the other kingdoms. Monera is the name of the kingdom within
which all the bacteria are currently, you're correct in assuming that
they're all prokaryotic (without nuclei).
The current situation would divide the kingdom into two
sub-kingdoms; archaeobacteria and eubacteria. Alternatives to that
scheme divide the current monerans into two separate kingdoms with the
same names. Escherichia coli is a member of the eubacteria (true
bacteria).
DNA analysis of the bacteria indicate that E. coli are related to
a group known as the purple sulfur bacteria. This group has rather
arcane relationships and taxonomy which I don't really want to go into
now. I could tell you but then...
I teach my students to use the mnemonic "Kindly Put Charlie Out
For Goodness Sakes" to recall the taxonomic series Kingdom, Phylum,
Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. There are several, one of which
starts "King Phillip...." but I've never been able to remember the mnemonic.
This series is only valid for animals by the way, since botanists use the
term division rather than phylum, I rather suspect that the
microbiologists will follow that practice when they finally get their
refuse together.
Let me know if this is not adequate, we can at least commiserate
together. John Zoeckler (jzoe...@kn.pacbell.com).

Dave Boone

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
In article <3qti34$d...@sneezy.cc.utexas.edu> you write:
>I need to find out what phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species
>that e coli belongs to. ( The Kingdom is procaryotae, right?)

Bacteriology uses the taxonomic system of plants, rather than that of
animals, so we use the rank Divisio (Division) rather than Phylum. Also,
an additional rank above kingdom has been added: the Empire.

You will also be sad to learn that taxonomy is a matter of opinion rather
than absolute fact, but the consensus is:

Escherichia coli is the species, with Escherichia (the first name of the
binomial) being the genus. The family is Enterobacteriaceae and the Order
Enterobacteriales. Ranks above Order are not covered by the
Bacteriological Code, and there is not yet any general consensus about the
cassification at these levels, but "Zymobacteria" has been suggested for
the Class and Division, and "Proteobacteria" has been suggested for the
kingdom.

Scientists formerly placed all procaryotes in a single kindom, but today
most taxonomists accept that the "archaea" (microbes superficially like
bacteria but evolutionarily as different from bacteria as from eucaryotes)
and true bacteria ("eubacteria" or "eurybacteria") should be placed not
only in separate kindoms, but in a separate rank higher than kindom
(Empire). Three Empires have been suggested although there is no
consensus on the exact names: Eucaryotes, true bacteria (Eubacteria or
Eurybacteria), and Archaea (which include methanogens, extreme halophiles,
and extremely thermophilic sulfur-dependent bacteria). These taxonomists
would classify E. coli in the empire "Eubacteria" or "Eurybacteria" (there
is no widely accepted name yet).

David R. Boone | "Many scientists classify bacteria. Which
Prof. of Environ. Microbiology | means that it is only for them to know, and
Oregon Graduate Institute | they won't tell other people about it."
503-690-1146, fax 503-690-1273 | --from a 4th-grade science project
bo...@ese.ogi.edu; http://www.ese.ogi.edu/ese_docs/boone.html

FARRELL_LARRY

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
Regarding the Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Genus, Species problem, two
mnemonics that I use:

"Kindly Professors Can Often Favor Good Students" (this one is
often used in Introductory Microbiology and other classes I teach.

On a slightly more risque note, one that perhaps is of more
utility (and *importance*) for college students, "Keep Putting Condoms On
For Greater Safety."

Obviously, there are lots of possibilities. Make up your own, since
you will probably find it much easier to remember.

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology

FARRELL_LARRY

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
Even with a mnemonic, you still run the risk of missing one! I see that
in my previous post, I did just that. The problem referred to should,
obviously, have been Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, *Family*, Genus,
Species!

First mistake I have made in my life! Honest!! ;)

Dave Boone

Jun 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/7/95
> The problem referred to should,
>obviously, have been Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, *Family*, Genus,
>Species!

Nope. The second. The first was using "Phylum" rather than "Division"
for bacteria.

Gavin Thomas

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
In article <3qti34$d...@sneezy.cc.utexas.edu> rlc...@sneezy.cc.utexas.edu (robert l canon) writes:
>From: rlc...@sneezy.cc.utexas.edu (robert l canon)
>Subject: What is the taxonomy of E. coli?
>Date: 4 Jun 1995 19:11:16 -0500

>I need to find out what phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species
>that e coli belongs to. ( The Kingdom is procaryotae, right?)

According to Swiss-Prot classification, E. coli is :

OS ESCHERICHIA COLI.
OC PROKARYOTA; GRACILICUTES; SCOTOBACTERIA; FACULTATIVELY ANAEROBIC RODS;
OC ENTEROBACTERIACEAE.

Have a look in Bergey's for more reliable information.

Hope this is some help.

Gavin Thomas,
Department of Biochemistry,
University of Birmingham.