Solar Eclipse near Mt. Wilson

B Yen

Dec 26, 2000, 11:33:13 PM12/26/00
I went to the local mountains (near Mt. Wilson, California) for the partial
solar
eclipse:

http://www.comet-track.com/eclipse/secl00/secl00.html

Believe me... I was NOT really motivated to "do" this eclipse. Hmmm...Partial
eclipse???

"I wouldn't go across the street for an annular [eclipse]!!
Seen one [ total eclipse ], seen them all!!"
-- Don Trombino ( noted eclipse chaser & eclipse expedition leader)

I made some quicky plans at the last minute. In S. California, the eclipse
phase
would be placed near the horizon. (7:37am - 9:13am ) So..I realized a
multiple
exposure shot would probably be the "best" shot, so I planned on doing
2. The 50mm would have long-axis horizontal, the 70mm would have long-axis
vertical (its short axis would BARELY fit the 15 deg azimuth span of the sun's
partial phase).

You can see the "curved path" of the sun against the sky in the 50mm & 70mm
multiple-exposure shots. I used the same 2 T90 cameras that were sitting around
for 1.5 years, previously programmed for 10 min intervals from the '99 Turkey
eclipse (see http://www.comet-track.com/eclipse/secl99/secl99.html). Both these
shots give a good representation of my eclipse experience: (cold) sunrise from
mountains & eclipse path across the sky. The 70mm shot picked up Antares near
the horizon, during the sunrise "main frame". (the 50mm shot also picked it up,
but not visible on the web-resolution image).

weather was clear, there was extremely light cirrus (barely detectable) during
the partial phase. Seeing conditions were extremely bad ...narrow angle H-alpha
photography was very questionable. The rippling on the sun's limb was
unbelievable: it looked like "major pencil scribbling". Couldn't really focus
with any certainty (film is still undeveloped. will remain so, until I get
"motivated"). I was going to setup a 2nd mount, with a 4" f8 (800mm) to do
eyepiece projection photography...forget it!!

Very windy at times. (35-40mph gusts). They would come roaring out of the NE
periodically, I could actually see my parked van *move*. I would sit there,
watch the 2 tripod-mounted multiple-exposure cameras..waiting for them to fall
over. it finally got so bad, I stood in front of the 50mm camera to block the
wind. Even so, it got lifted up by a couple inches & settled back. (look
at the
50mm shot : put your eye near the screen & bottom of the picture, look towards
the "path of the sun", which is curved. you can see where the curved-path is
"broken"..that's the point where the camera+tripod got moved by the wind)

Quite cold on arrival at 6:30am (no gloves, my bare hands felt incapable of
doing
anything), it was pleasant (60 deg) when I left ~10am

strange coincidence: a white flower "obscured in shadow" near the eclipse
site (a
parody of the partial eclipsed sun) . it was reminiscent of the '99 solar
eclipse in Turkey: a white flower near the eclipse site.(see
http://www.comet-track.com/eclipse/secl99/trip.html)

During the observation period, 3 groups of people came by (drove into the
pullout
off Angeles Crest Hwy). I let 2 of the groups look through the H-alpha
scope (AP
5" f8,2X barlow, extender, telecentric unit, Daystar .7A, Nikon F3, DW6 eyepiece
viewfinder). What blew me away was that none of them came with solar filters!!
(one couple brought their bird-watching binoculars). I think they were going to
do (& probably DID) the eclipse "naked eye" & damage their vision. I guess they
heard the local news reports & drove to the mountains.

Notes:
the same site was also used for Nov. 16-17-18 Leonids 1 month ago...(see
http://www.comet-track.com/meteor/leonids00/leonids00.html) In both cases
(meteor shower & partial eclipse), I didn't feel motivated to go out, & just
"bailed out" on a site close to home (30 min drive).

like the Leonids 1 month ago, tthe wind caused rock-debris in several places
along Hwy 2 (mountainous, with sheer ledges & sheer dropoffs on either side).
There were some pretty good size chunks, & I avoided most of them (last month I
hit a 6" diameter..I could feel the rock compress the tire & contact the saddle
of the rim. I was sure I blew a tire! 35" tire was fine (BFGoodrich tires are
tough), only broke the 1/2" shock bolt for the left-front)

went down the mountain, was hungry, & got 8 chicken drumsticks for $2.99 at the
local Ralphs (grocery chain in S. Cal). Spent the next 5 hours driving around
looking for colorful flowers: "burning" the remaining frames on the 2
rolls..(the
mutliple-exposure shots were frame #1 on each roll...70 unexposed frames left).
this will go down as one of the strangest "Christmas" for me.

Starlord

Dec 27, 2000, 12:35:41 AM12/27/00
I just put my folding chair outside my trailer and had a wonderfull
time viewing the event, and I had '0' winds, and sky was totaly clear.
It's nice living out in the High Desert!

The Lone Sidewalk Astronomer of Rosamond.

--
The Year is 2259 ... The Place is Babylon 5

"B Yen" <byen00*NOSPAM*@earthlink.net> wrote in message