Yea!! Hubble Help is On the Way

The Star Guy

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
Finally, Discovery is on the way to repair Hubble!

the star guy

Mark D'Ambrosio

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
Yup! Being here in Venice Fla., (West coast) i got to see the Shuttle
lift off.
It was truly magnificent! First liftoff iv'e ever personally seen.
I can only imagine what it must look like from just a few miles away.
Mark

Mark D'Ambrosio

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99

Tom & Bev Whiting

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Yes, and let's hope it does better than the previous two NASA endeavors!
ie-Mars.
Clear Skies, Tom Whiting

--
You can visit our web site at:
http://www.ncinter.net/~alonmac/ecmog/

Jan Owen

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Here's hoping Discovery doesn't crash into Hubble...
-------------------------

Jeff®

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
I got to see one in '84 or '85, it was the Challenger. (one of its
successful launches). Viewed it from a park in Titasville. The
thing that surprised me was the sound. A loud roar that came
horizontally across the water, then died down quickly as the
craft gained some altitude. Apparently the sound does not travel
downward. (?)

-Jeff

Mark D'Ambrosio <MarkDa...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Rockett Crawford

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99

Mark D'Ambrosio wrote:

> Yup! Being here in Venice Fla., (West coast) i got to see the Shuttle
> lift off.
> It was truly magnificent! First liftoff iv'e ever personally seen.
> I can only imagine what it must look like from just a few miles away.
> Mark

Good deal! That must have been an awesome sight. I'm glad
that the Hubble will soon be back to working order again and
it's advancement of modern astronomy will continue.

take care,
Rockett Crawford

-----------------------------------
Capella's Observatory
http://web2.airmail.net/capella

Ronald R. Rice

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
I too saw the lift off last night from my home in Largo, FL (just north of
St. Petersburg). I had lost track of the fact that it was going last night
and was talking to my brother in w. PA on the phone when the TV cut to the
launch live. It was great fun to run outside barefoot and describe the veiw
to my brother while he whined about sleet and freezing rain. I love Florida!

Jeff®

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99

Ronald R. Rice <rri...@gte.net> wrote in message

May the "no-see-ums" infest your Nikes.

-Jeff

Philip Plait

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
In sci.astro.amateur Mark D'Ambrosio <MarkDa...@webtv.net> wrote:
> Yup! Being here in Venice Fla., (West coast) i got to see the Shuttle
> lift off.
> It was truly magnificent! First liftoff iv'e ever personally seen.
> I can only imagine what it must look like from just a few miles away.

You need not imagine; public passes are available. Call the Kennedy
Space Center and get a causeway pass. The view from 6 miles
is amazing. Loud, too. ;-)

* * * * * The Bad Astronomer * * * *

Phil Plait bada...@badastronomy.com
The Bad Astronomy Web Page: http://www.badastronomy.com

Craig MacDougal

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99

Mark D'Ambrosio <MarkDa...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Yup! Being here in Venice Fla., (West coast) i got to see the Shuttle
> lift off.
> It was truly magnificent! First liftoff iv'e ever personally seen.
> I can only imagine what it must look like from just a few miles away.
> Mark

I saw the lift-off from Tampa as well. After the SRB separation the main
engines must have been aimed right at me. They glowed at a -4 magnitude for
most of the ascent. It was also pretty darn clear, I'm sure that helped. If
it weren't for local trees, I think I could have followed it all the way to
engine cut-off. There was still about 90 seconds left when it dropped behind
the trees.

Tonight I watched HST go over, followed about 10 minutes later by Discovery.

Clear Skies,
Craig in Tampa

Kraken

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
Keeping on that topic...

What are some tips on observing orbiting vehicles/satellites/etc.?

--
Aaron Conaway

"In order to bake an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the
Universe."
-- Albert Einstein

"Craig MacDougal" <mac...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Philip Plait

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
In sci.astro.amateur Kraken <acon...@DIESPAMMERematic.com> wrote:
> Keeping on that topic...

> What are some tips on observing orbiting vehicles/satellites/etc.?

You need to go to Heavens Above! Enter your latitude and longitude
and it will tell you what's up.

http://www.heavens-above.com/