Fwd: [cc-staff] Google Oppia

Jane Park

Mar 12, 2014, 7:34:39 PM3/12/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jane Park <jane...@creativecommons.org>
Date: Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [cc-staff] Google Oppia
To: Paul Stacey <pst...@creativecommons.org>
Cc: cc staff all <cc-s...@lists.ibiblio.org>

Interesting! Google is not officially affiliated though -- its volunteers are not officially Google.

They are using 4.0 of the license, here is the text you have to agree to:

"I understand and agree that any contributions I make to this site will be licensed under CC-BY-SA v4.0, with a waiver of the attribution requirement. I will not contribute material to the site (including images and files that are part of an exploration) whose licensing is not compatible with CC-BY-SA v4.0."

More..

Licensing

In order to maximize the reach and positive impact of the explorations hosted here, we would like to make it easy to copy and redistribute them. In addition, we expect that all explorations on this site will eventually be collectively owned by the Oppia community, so that they can be freely improved by others.

Therefore, all explorations on this site, and contributions to them, are deemed to be licensed under CC-BY-SA v4.0, with a waiver of the attribution (BY) requirement. This allows the content of explorations to be freely copied, reused, remixed and redistributed. The main condition is that if someone remixes, transforms or builds upon the material, they must also distribute their work under the same free license.

The attribution waiver means that, if someone reuses this work, they are not required to attribute the authors. However, all of your individual contributions to explorations will be available on this site in the exploration change log, and people who reuse the exploration are encouraged (but not required) to include a link to this page.

If you aren't happy with this, please do not continue past this page!

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Paul Stacey <pst...@creativecommons.org> wrote:
Interesting to see Google release Oppia, a new open source tool that allows anyone to create basic, free, interactive learning experiences in an easy to use web-based environment.

Oppia touts itself like this: "No trial periods, no freemium plans, no advertisements. Writing, editing, or learning from explorations on oppia.org is 100% free of charge! Additionally, all lessons on oppia.org are licensed CC-BY-SA, which means that you are allowed to copy, modify, and reuse lesson content. Want to host an Oppia instance yourself, or make modifications to it? The code behind oppia.org is licensed under the Apache License 2.0.”

The license on their About page is a bit odd. It says:
"The textual content of explorations on this site, as well as image files included with them, are licensed under CC-BY-SA 4.0 with a waiver of the attribution requirement. More specifically: if you reuse content from this site, we encourage you to include a link to the exploration page from which the content originated, but do not require it."
Odd tweaking of the license terms.

--
Paul Stacey
Associate Director of Global Learning