New SOO website (beta)

Jane Park

Apr 25, 2014, 6:10:01 PM4/25/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
Thanks to Erika's awesome design skills, we are working on populating a new SOO landing page!

You can see the work in progress here: http://schoolofopen.p2pu.org

We have a few technical kinks to work out, and some more copywriting to do, but please poke around and let me know if I've missed any major categories or projects that should be highlighted.

Have a good weekend!

Jane
--
Jane Park
Project Manager

the School of Open, a collaboration with P2PU: http://schoolofopen.org/

Like what we do? Donate: https://creativecommons.net/donate/

Jane Park

Apr 29, 2014, 2:08:04 PM4/29/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
Also -- if you are reading this and would like to be featured as part of http://schoolofopen.p2pu.org/#community and aren't already - send me your p2pu profile link with photo so I can add you! If you've ever helped organize a course, led a workshop, or run a training program, you belong on there!

I'm considering doing away with categories under Community altogether as well, b/c people contribute in dif ways and sometimes more than one way.

Jane Park

May 8, 2014, 6:13:23 PM5/8/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
Added a new page, in addition to Training programs (http://schoolofopen.p2pu.org/training-programs/), there is now a page on past workshops and hopefully the beginnings of a workshop toolkit at

http://schoolofopen.p2pu.org/workshops/

The workshops page isn't exhaustive, but I did try to cover most workshops that were illustrative of the dif kinds we've run and and how others may run them in the future. Let me know if you have any feedback on it, or feel strongly about including an example that I missed!

I think the only lingering thing before we push this out as the new SOO landing website is the logo. Erika is tweaking now and we'll send around a final version for any last comments before making live on the site!

Mick Clearerchannel

May 9, 2014, 3:17:39 AM5/9/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Hello friends,

I wanted to share this presentation of the summer project that I'm doing.
http://clearerchannel.org/share/msc_mjc_project_present_d1.svg

The reason, partly just to say I'm still evaluating the possibility of
writing a course that picks up on the OU one to do with remixability of
OER. There's overlap with this project. It would be a standalone one if so.

Another reason is to ask if Jane or Billy (or others) have any contacts
with the LRMI people in CC.
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/LRMI/Implementation

Also p2pu.org is down in that list does anyone know more about the work
done in this area? Should I get in contact with Dirk directly?

To explain the goal of the project in a nutshell it would be to create a
website (browsing & search tool) to make OER easier to find for a
particular community. For example, I'm focusing on high school students
doing the new computing curriculum in the UK and the OER to support
learners/ teachers.

Also if anyone on this list has a link with Certis (linked on the page
above) that would be cool too. They are just down the road from me in
Bolton and I think the above project could be a good case study for them.

nice one
Mick

Rebecca Kahn

May 9, 2014, 4:46:11 AM5/9/14
to school-of-open
Hey Mick

From the P2PU perspective, sounds awesome! Either Dirk or Vanessa or I can give you any info you need - the best place to talk about it would probably be on our discussion forum: http://thepeople.p2pu.org/

Also, I'm not sure if you've seen the new set of web making courses that P2PU and Mozilla have just launched called Teach The Web: http://training.webmakerprototypes.org
These might be worth adding to your list of OERs.

Best
Bekka

Mick

--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

Mick Clearerchannel

May 9, 2014, 5:10:58 AM5/9/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com

On 09/05/14 09:46, Rebecca Kahn wrote:
> Hey Mick
>
> From the P2PU perspective, sounds awesome! Either Dirk or Vanessa or I
> can give you any info you need - the best place to talk about it would
> probably be on our discussion forum: http://thepeople.p2pu.org/

Good point i'll repost there.
> Also, I'm not sure if you've seen the new set of web making courses
> that P2PU and Mozilla have just launched called Teach The Web:
> http://training.webmakerprototypes.org
> These might be worth adding to your list of OERs.
Definitely!

Also the back story to this is that I have a place to do teacher
training at secondary schools (pgce) starting September to teach the new
computing curriculum in the UK. So that's an exciting challenge.

nice one
Mick

Jane Park

May 9, 2014, 1:00:02 PM5/9/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mick - best way to get in touch with LRMI and CETIS folks is via the LRMI google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/lrmi

Let me now if you don't have access to post a Q there and I'll connect you directly with the folks. Otherwise you can reach them all in one go via that.

nice one
Mick

--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

Billy Meinke

May 12, 2014, 1:10:11 PM5/12/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
That's a super cool project you have going there, Mick. Learners with programming skills can do a lot for the OER ecosystem, and what you're proposing to build will definitely pull more students that direction.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Mick Clearerchannel

May 12, 2014, 3:15:22 PM5/12/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com

On 12/05/14 18:10, Billy Meinke wrote:
> That's a super cool project you have going there, Mick. Learners with
> programming skills can do a lot for the OER ecosystem, and what you're
> proposing to build will definitely pull more students that direction.
>
> Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks for the encouragement Billy, I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

At the moment I'm trying to decide what language to build it in.
I've done things in php in the past, but people seem to love using
python / django and both Flossmanuals and p2pu use that technology so
that could be the way to go.

The next stage is working out what learning approaches to group
resources by which could be interesting. Not sure how useful it is to go
too deep into the psychology, who really searches for 'constructivist'
OERs, if you see what I mean?

nice one
Mick

Timothy Gaudette

May 12, 2014, 8:32:18 PM5/12/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mick,

Cool idea.  I think either platform will work out well for you. People tend to pick django for when they plan to be hosting the actual content so they can provide some kind of CMS.  From your presentation I gather you're more looking to reference/link to the content already in other places.

nice one
Mick

--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

-Tim

Mick Clearerchannel

May 13, 2014, 3:25:37 AM5/13/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com

On 13/05/14 01:32, Timothy Gaudette wrote:
> Hey Mick,
>
> Cool idea. I think either platform will work out well for you. People
> tend to pick django for when they plan to be hosting the actual
> content so they can provide some kind of CMS. From your presentation
> I gather you're more looking to reference/link to the content already
> in other places.

Hi Tim, I'm weighing that up. Ideally it would do both.

It seems to make sense to use a Drupal site to reference / link. (it's
got good aggregation abilities out of the box pretty much with feeds
module.

I'm also hoping to have a replacement for the FLOSS Manuals remix
function as it's really nice!
http://en.flossmanuals.net/index.php?plugin=remix

This is where the django comes in. A potential spec is here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fF3Eey3K_dHylO2ggYd9O1qszXWs6y2nBopQu10apqk/edit

The reason that I mention this on this list is that I hope that the work
will help the interoperability and mobility of courses on the web.
I see hope! It is happening!

For example one of the projects that Jane mentioned in the email about
Spanish SOO courses uses BookType - http://escritura.proyectolatin.org/
We use this at FLOSS Manuals too.

It has the ability I can see the ability to import and export courses as
epubs. So does the wordpress plugin Pressbooks. epub seems to be a great
candidate as a format for mobility of grass roots courses compared to
some of the complicated, over-engineered, nerd-gibberish standards that
are out there but no-one uses.

Now if we can import diversely sourced courses into a repository based
on a community of interest like SOO, then we can really start to take
advantage of those open licences.

Also, I wanted to ask, are any of you guys going to the Open Knowledge
Festival?

nice one!
Mick

Soenke Zehle

May 13, 2014, 3:31:34 AM5/13/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mick, all,

good stuff. As we (finally, EU is slow) embark on creating oer around
the concerns of http://mokolo.net, we'll get to build on some of our
collaborations around open video (background: which included a draft
handbook and a course, the production of which was facilitated by
Mick).

My question: are you or anyone associated with SOO working to develop
storytelling-based interfaces for OER? I'm still not entirely sure
what I mean by that but, to be honest, just working this out as I read
oer design and interactive / transmedia storytelling concepts together
and keep thinking that they must meet. Have they already? Any
examples? And if not, anyone interested in figuring out how best to to
that?

best,

Soenke
http://www.xmlab.org/about/people/zehle
> --
> http://schoolofopen.org
> ---

Mick Clearerchannel

May 13, 2014, 4:47:04 AM5/13/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com

On 13/05/14 08:31, Soenke Zehle wrote:
> My question: are you or anyone associated with SOO working to develop
> storytelling-based interfaces for OER? I'm still not entirely sure
> what I mean by that but, to be honest, just working this out as I read
> oer design and interactive / transmedia storytelling concepts together
> and keep thinking that they must meet. Have they already? Any
> examples? And if not, anyone interested in figuring out how best to to
> that?
not sure if this fits the bill precisely but a great project to
investigate in any case.

Storymaker from guardian project and small world news:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.guardianproject.mrapp

amazing - a tool, with built in lessons, and templates to guide learning
while doing!
a must concerning open video in practice.

nice one
Mick

Vanessa Gennarelli

May 13, 2014, 10:57:44 AM5/13/14
to school-of-open
Dang, Mick. Storymaker looks very, very cool.

Only available for Android right now, it would seem. Would you mind posting to the "Recommended Reading" section of thepeople? http://thepeople.p2pu.org/category/learning/recommended-reading

That way people who are looking for cool video tools and find this :)

Mick

--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

Vanessa Gennarelli
Learning Lead, Peer 2 Peer University

Mick Clearerchannel

May 15, 2014, 2:43:43 PM5/15/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Please help me out on this and vote for this project.

It'll take 1 minute and help me get some funds for a totally valid thing
that I'm proposing.

http://elevator.jisc.ac.uk/sosi14/ideas/duct-tape-university

I'd do the same for you!
This totally takes one minute only!

nice one
Mick

If you have a university email please you that when you vote, as you are
more valid in that way.

AND I'll try to make it useful to p2pu.org as well if I can.

Jane Park

May 15, 2014, 6:11:11 PM5/15/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
I voted! And I'm tickled that your full name is Michael Chesterman.

--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

Jane Park

May 15, 2014, 6:37:01 PM5/15/14
to school-of-open
Soenke and all,

We have one SOO course that points to DS106, a digital storytelling course: https://p2pu.org/en/groups/make-something-with-the-daily-create/ and then you can see that DS106 has a lot more going on and is Shuttleworth funded: http://ds106.us/about/

OER and digital storytelling generally is, I know, a topic of much interest to folks, though I don't think we have explored it specifically within SOO, but broadly across P2PU and conferences like MacArthur DML. I guess digital storytelling broadly covers many multimedia making tools?

Communities that have worked with P2PU and SOO like NWP Digital Is are more focused on the storytelling aspect, esp b/c they deal with kids and with kids it's all about making and storytelling: http://digitalis.nwp.org/

I'm definitely interested in exploring further, but do you mean as potential tools/activities to be part of the learning experience of a course? Or a course in itself, on how to tell/make a story using OER?

Mick Clearerchannel

May 16, 2014, 3:52:01 AM5/16/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com

On 15/05/14 23:11, Jane Park wrote:
> I voted! And I'm tickled that your full name is Michael Chesterman.

Yes, you have to be careful with these things. I don't want them to make
the cheque out to mick fuzz!

Thanks for voting!

nice one
Mick

Rebecca Kahn

May 16, 2014, 6:03:06 AM5/16/14
to school-of-open
I voted too - using my official Uni address.
Think an @p2pu address would count as a university?

--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

Mick Clearerchannel

May 16, 2014, 8:08:25 AM5/16/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com

On 16/05/14 11:03, Rebecca Kahn wrote:
> I voted too - using my official Uni address.
Thanks Bekka!
> Think an @p2pu address would count as a university?

It wouldn't harm if they do look at the emails of the people that voted
that's for sure.
hint hint
http://elevator.jisc.ac.uk/sosi14/ideas/duct-tape-university

thanks for your help on this so far, I'm really making progress.
on a related note if you know of anyone who has done any work with
Learning Registry project, I could do with getting a bit of a steer.

nice one
Mick

Mick Clearerchannel

May 16, 2014, 12:43:01 PM5/16/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Here's a quick experiment for you.

So Mozilla just put out loads of great resource on teach the web. CC-BY-SA

I'm thinking how can we get these great resources into a remixable and
offline OER eco-systems.

A traditional way is to download the whole page as HTML with an image
directory but it's a bit off a faff to move around and reuse.

So I tried a Firefox plug-in called Grab my books.
I opened three tabs of the teach the web pages, clicked on the Grab my
Books button and....

Hey presto an epub of the Mozilla teach the web resources. Which is
remixable (calibre is a great epub editor) on portable offline on
ereaders, phones, tablets etc.

http://clearerchannel.org/share/proof_of_concept_mobility_remixability.epub

There's a bit on School of Open on the last page.

Try it out it's pretty good!

nice one
Mick

Sujith Reddy

May 16, 2014, 3:11:34 PM5/16/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
I just voted for you, good luck Michael! :)

--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

Thanks,
Sujith!

Twitter: @SujithReddyM

Get Involved with Mozilla! Give a hi5 to us!

Jane Park

May 16, 2014, 7:03:19 PM5/16/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Laura Hilliger
Very cool Mick! Adding Laura who has been working on it so she knows.

Btw, we're working on featuring some of the Mozilla teach the web modules that incorporate OER, CC, and licensing also as part of SOO. Laura will start a new thread with deets and we'll welcome your review!

Mick

--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

Timothy Gaudette

May 17, 2014, 12:44:23 PM5/17/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Voted! Keep us posted.  Sounds like a great project!

Laura Hilliger

May 19, 2014, 7:27:53 AM5/19/14
to Mick Clearerchannel, school-...@googlegroups.com, Jane Park
Hi Mick!

That’s totally AWESOME! Maybe you want to share your thoughts on offline OER ecosystems (and remixing them) in the TeachTheWeb Discussion? This week we’re talking about making remixable OERs and designing openly, so this is pretty excellent timing:

You might also include the epub, process and notes on usage of “Grab my books” – I’ve always been eager to make OERs more easily remixable (no more PDFs!), and would love to see what kind of conversation emerges from this.

Also, selfishly, I want folks in #teachtheweb to have access to the content in ebook form, it’s so cool.

Thanks!
—laura

Teach the WebLaura Hilliger
Training & Curriculum Lead
Mozilla Foundation

Email: la...@mozillafoundation.org
Twitter: @epilepticrabbit

Vanessa Gennarelli

May 19, 2014, 9:18:53 AM5/19/14
to school-of-open, Mick Clearerchannel, Jane Park
Maybe #teachtheweb folks can make their own books about how they created their hacks :)

Mick Clearerchannel

May 29, 2014, 9:57:49 AM5/29/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your help all on the voting promotion for the project.
I do appreciate it!

I made the vote count this morning.

I'll be putting updates on - http://ducttapeuni.org/

nice one