Chef-Solo .rb file missing in AWS Instance

Amit Saini

Oct 7, 2016, 9:54:41 AM10/7/16
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Marc,

I was following Chfe-Solo document to spin AWS instance from Scalr using chef-solo and used the cookbook provided by the Scalr

When I dive deep in running instance ( Created with the help of Chef-Solo from Sclar) and found

1. Solo.rb fill is missing which help to install cookbook ( Refer Image1). Why the .rb file is missing in instance..?

2. As per the Default.rb, Chef trying to create Webapp at location "/etc/init.d" but the no such app created ( Refer Image 2 ,Image3,Image4) that means no desired service installed in AWS Instance

3. Scalr is deploying old version of chef in AWS Instance ( Refer Image5)

Could you please help US..??

Image1.JPG
Image2.JPG
Image3.jpg
Image4.jpg
Image5.JPG

Marc O'Brien

Oct 7, 2016, 4:45:51 PM10/7/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Amit,

I just tested this and had no issues following the tutorial while using Ubuntu 14.04 for the Webapp role.  Did you receive errors in your system or orchestration logs?

1.  Check your Orchestration Logs.  In my test chef bootstrap logs show solo.rb in
/var/lib/scalarizr/tasks/be831cb04b2c43bc8b2eed01f1735995/001-chef.solo/data/solo.rb

2. It sounds like there may have been issues when launching and bootstrapping your instance.  Check the system and orchestration logs for errors that may have prevented successful deployment.

3. The Chef version is based on the version bundled in your image.  If you wish to use another version you will need to create a new image/role with your desired application version.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support