instance stuck at OS booting

Ouadie Benziane

Feb 20, 2015, 8:20:09 PM2/20/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
All,

I've setup the scalr open source 5.1 in our VPC instance. However the instance stuck at the Boot OS, it does create the instance as far as it goes and does not create scalrz agent. The SG are widely open between the scalr and scalr client.

1)
I changed the this file to private or local and it did not help. /opt/scalr-server/etc/scalr/config.yml

" instances_connection_policy: local"

2)
Also somehow when i go to AWS > Security Groups   it only list the default VPC and not our second used custom VPC.

from the role i can see our used VPC security groups loaded, also the subnets are loaded.

Any insights what might be wrong here ?

Thanks

Thomas Orozco

Feb 20, 2015, 9:51:44 PM2/20/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

Have you tried the troubleshooting instructions here: https://scalr-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/x/DYG0 ? Let me know if that helps.

Note that you should not edit /opt/scalr-server/etc/scalr/config.yml directly. There are several daemons that must be restarted after editing it, so if you just edited the file, chances are your change didn't have any effect.

Regarding your second issue, i'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you send along a screenshot of the Scalr UI vs. one of the AWS console, demonstrating the discrepancy?

Cheers,

Ouadie Benziane

Feb 24, 2015, 4:55:37 PM2/24/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Thomas,

Thanks i figured it out. Normally the image should have the scalr agent installed prior using it. that's fixed it.

However i have another question since i could not find a way to explicitly define a hostname for the EC2 machine. So what i did is the following:

{SCALR_FARM_ROLE_ALIAS}{SCALR_INSTANCE_INDEX}.{SCALR_ENV_NAME}.{zone}.{domain_name}

But the "{SCALR_INSTANCE_INDEX}" will not work for me since i need to be able to specify that number in other way. for example i wanted to be like:

So in general i need to control the node numbers

Thomas Orozco

Feb 27, 2015, 4:22:24 PM2/27/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The format for Global Variables is actually configurable (using printf syntax), so that might actually solve your issue.

This is configured globally for Scalr.

For example, for the instance index, the configuration is: scalr.system.global_variables.format.SCALR_INSTANCE_INDEX

(be mindful that this needs to be indented; i.e. you should replace periods with indentation levels).

The default for the instance index is %d.

Cheers,