Scalr is *constantly* getting "AWS Error. Request DescribeX Request Limit Exceeded) errors

karl.qu...@ticketfly.com

Sep 11, 2015, 4:48:40 PM9/11/15
to scalr-discuss
Hi.

Scalr keeps getting various API errors from amazon. This makes using scalr quite difficult as one out of (about) every 4 actions in scalr will fail.  The page will be blank or look as if it expects various API data to come back and an error relating to the AWS API error will come back.  An example of this error is included below.

We've opened up a support case w/ amazon and here's what they said:

The types of calls:

DescribeInstances: (57%) DescribeSnapshots: (10%) DescribeVpcs: (10%) DescribeSubnets: (10%) DescribeReservedIns…: (5%) DescribeVolumes: (5%) DescribeDhcpOptions: (5%)

Most calls are coming from the IP address that NATs our scalr node, and the user agent is predominantly
Boto/2.34.0 Python/2.7.8 Linux/3.13.0-48-generic

Basically, what can I do to make sure that scalr hammers the AWS API less?  Currently, the rate scalr hits AWS is hindering out ability to use AWS and Scalr.

Thanks.

-K

Here's an example error

AWS Error. Request DescribeVpcs failed. Request limit exceeded. (Request number for the current session is 1)

Igor Savchenko

Sep 11, 2015, 4:51:28 PM9/11/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
This is already fixed in Scalr Enterprise Edition and will be included in the next CE release (Nov-Dec 2015).

Regards,
Igor

karl.qu...@ticketfly.com

Sep 11, 2015, 4:57:06 PM9/11/15
to scalr-discuss
Thanks for the fast reply.

Is there any way I can apply a PATCH?  This issue is killing us and we cant afford to be limping along until December.

-K

Igor Savchenko

Sep 11, 2015, 5:05:39 PM9/11/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
I've just checked and unfortunately, it's not possible to backport this fix to current CE release, because of too many other changes.

Regards,
Igor