Is there a way to set the private IP for EC2 instances launched inside of a VPC?

karl.qu...@ticketfly.com

Feb 18, 2015, 4:20:25 PM2/18/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi.  Searching this forum for "private ip" does not yield much.

My Question
When using an AWS/VPC Cloud, it is possible to manually set the IP address of a node?

The EC2 Create Instance call does support this option

(search for ':private_ip_address') on that page.

Is there a way to do this within scalr?

Thomas Orozco

Feb 18, 2015, 8:40:21 PM2/18/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Karl,

Unfortunately, this is currently not possible in Scalr. Would you mind describing your use case to me?

Cheers,

Karl Quinsland

Feb 19, 2015, 1:24:44 PM2/19/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Ah.  I feared this.

To make a very long story short, some of our applications / deploy scripts have hard coded IP addresses that they expect.  This is done because our legacy bare-metal infrastructure does not have functioning DNS during certain parts of our deployment.  Machines that come immediately after these early stages look for a host at a specific IP.  Once the 0th and 1st stage infrastructure has been set up, DNS and auto-discovery/auto-configuration starts to work.

Basically, there is one role in my farm that has a single instance (min/max set to 1, manual scaling).  This instance lives in a specific subnet within a VPC.  Instances that are launched after it will attempt to use *this* instance for NAT/Bootstrapping/Etc.  They do this w/o the use of DNS (hard coded IP).  The ability to set the IP manually for this specific instance is desired.

Thanks.

-K

Thomas Orozco

Feb 19, 2015, 2:05:01 PM2/19/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Karl,

Can those instances talk to Scalr at that stage? I assume not, but let me know.

Cheers,

-- Thomas | Product Manager @ Scalr | tho...@scalr.com | www.scalr.com | blog.scalr.com

Karl Quinsland

Feb 19, 2015, 7:08:23 PM2/19/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, they can.. but the scalr server has a different IP from the IP I need.  Unfortunately, modifying theses scripts is not an option.... Believe me, i already thought about that!

-K

Thomas Orozco

Feb 19, 2015, 7:23:41 PM2/19/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Karl,

If Scalr is available, then you might be able to call the Scalr server using szradm to get the IP of that other instance. Provided they're in the same Farm, Scalr will return that IP to you: https://scalr-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/x/HIC0

Would that make sense?

Cheers,

-- Thomas | Product Manager @ Scalr | tho...@scalr.com | www.scalr.com | blog.scalr.com

Karl Quinsland

Feb 19, 2015, 7:38:42 PM2/19/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, but unfortunately, the script can't be changed.  I appreciate your workaround, though!  I think i might be able to jurry-rig something else up.​

Thomas Orozco

Feb 19, 2015, 8:35:01 PM2/19/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Any chance you could pass it through the environment or something? I have some sample code to load the IP for a given Farm Role in the environment somewhere.

Just let me know if I can help.

Cheers,