Scalr Community Edition and the Lifecycle of Volumes

Jay Farschman

Jun 7, 2016, 3:56:52 PM6/7/16
to scalr-discuss
Hello,

I had a user let their FARM terminate and it was a mistake.  This actually happened 5 days ago and I was able to go back and find volumes/snapshots that I could use to do a recovery.  Kinda cool:
  1. In Volumes locate the volume. Tagging helps here.
  2. Create snapshot from the volume
  3. Create an AMI from the snapshot
  4. Add the AMI (image) to Scalr
  5. Create a Role for the recovered Image to live in.
  6. Got the the Farm Role and swap out the original with this replacement
  7. Spin it up.
QUESTION
So, it's cool that I found these old volumes lying around, but do I need to create a process to do garbage collection?

Thanks.

Marc O'Brien

Jun 7, 2016, 4:24:07 PM6/7/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Jay,

It sounds like you would be able to achieve your Garbage Collection goals with our recently released Garbage Collection feature.  However, this is presently only included in Enterprise Scalr.

Related documentation from our Wiki:  https://scalr-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/x/BYDwAg

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Jay Farschman

Jun 8, 2016, 9:31:53 AM6/8/16
to scalr-discuss
Hey Marc,

Thank you.  That is exactly what I want. You guys are doing a great job anticipating needs.

Respectfully,
Jay