Route53 webhook failing on "internal error," no access to Server Hostname Format

Ben West

Sep 26, 2016, 5:14:14 PM9/26/16
to scalr-discuss
I am trying out this Route53 / AWS Lambda tutorial that was recently published on the wiki:
https://scalr-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/display/docs/Integrate+Route53+with+Scalr+using+Lambda
https://github.com/scalr-tutorials/scalr-lambda-route53

I've walked through all the steps in that tutorial, but each attempt at the triggering webhook fails on "Attempt #1 failed.  Cause: Internal error."  Is there anywhere under /opt/scalr-server where I could peek to see what's causing this?  The endpoint URL is correct, but it seems Scalr isn't actually firing on it.

Besides that, I see the webhook payload doesn't appear to contain the value "Server Hostname Format," if one is set under the Advanced tab on the farm role.  So, the server stood up will indeed get its local hostname set to this custom value, but it appears Route53 webhook can't know it.  Is this intentional?

P.S. I'm running open source Scalr v5.11.22 under CentOS 7.

Daniele Testa

Sep 26, 2016, 5:38:08 PM9/26/16
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ben!

The Internal Error might be the response from API Gateway. You can make sure that the Lambda part is working correctly by using doing a manual HTTP POST to the end point with the same kind of payload that Scalr is sending. You can see the exact payload in the Scalr UI.

Then use something like curl to mimik a Scalr POST.

You do have to make sure to comment away the signature validation in the Lambda python script though. It's in the top section of the script.

Regards,
Daniele Testa | Sr. Solutions Architect @ Scalr | dan...@scalr.com | www.scalr.com | blog.scalr.com

Marc O'Brien

Sep 26, 2016, 5:41:48 PM9/26/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Ben,

Also as a reminder, make sure that you re-deploy the API as described in Step 7 of the tutorial.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Daniele Testa | Sr. Solutions Architect @ Scalr www.scalr.com | blog.scalr.com