Recommendations for deploying single tier applications

Dmitri Toubelis

Aug 14, 2015, 5:59:28 PM8/14/15
to scalr-discuss
I work for a client who is currently using RightScale for orchestration but they want to get off because of the cost. They asked me to look into Scalr and see if it would be a good fit. The client has ~50 instances running in the amazon and 30 of them are single tier/single server applications. I'm trying to wrap my head around how to fit them into Scalr. Should it be one farm/one role per server or is there a better way? It seems to me so far that Scalr (as name suggests :-) is good for scaling architectures but I'm not sure if it is a good fit for non-scalable single tires deployments. Are there any best practices for this use case? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sebastian Stadil

Aug 14, 2015, 6:35:27 PM8/14/15
to scalr-discuss
Farms are isolated units, so if those 30 applications don't have any interdependencies, they should each be represented as a Farm (with a single Role in them, and a single Instance of that Role).

Does that help? If you can elaborate on your concern, we can give you more guidance.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 2:59 PM Dmitri Toubelis <dmi...@toubelis.org> wrote:
I work for a client who is currently using RightScale for orchestration but they want to get off because of the cost. They asked me to look into Scalr and see if it would be a good fit. The client has ~50 instances running in the amazon and 30 of them are single tier/single server applications. I'm trying to wrap my head around how to fit them into Scalr. Should it be one farm/one role per server or is there a better way? It seems to me so far that Scalr (as name suggests :-) is good for scaling architectures but I'm not sure if it is a good fit for non-scalable single tires deployments. Are there any best practices for this use case? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Dmitri Toubelis

Aug 14, 2015, 6:44:15 PM8/14/15
to scalr-discuss
Thanks Sebastian. Yes, the applications are isolated, other then all of them share access to enterprise LDAP and NFS mounts, but I guess this doesn't count.

The reason I'm asking is that it felt awkward to have to define a farm and a role for a single instance, so I just wanted to double check that this is the accepted practice.

Thanks

Sebastian Stadil

Aug 14, 2015, 7:56:24 PM8/14/15
to scalr-discuss
Encapsulating the instance in the role allows you to capture configuration and ensure portability, and encapsulating the role in the farm allows you to ensure failure recovery and a few other things. Each layer has value for your client. :)