{BUG} - "EBS size should be from 1 to 1024 GB" is out dated. Amazon now supports EBS Vol.s up to 16TB

karl.qu...@ticketfly.com

Aug 25, 2015, 1:50:16 PM8/25/15
to scalr-discuss
Here's what you can do to re-create this.

1) build a 3TB volume.
2) snapshot this volume.
3) attempt to have scalr mount this snapshot in the farm role editor.

Since the UI still prompts for a vol. size even though the snapshot is chosen, my gut instinct was to set the size to the size of the snapshot (3TB).  This is when scalr threw the error on attempt to save farm.

However, it looks like the error that i've screenshotted here is only a *warning*, as i can still save this farm role, refresh the page, and see my settings appear to stick.

-K

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.28.07.png

Daniele Testa

Aug 26, 2015, 6:24:29 AM8/26/15
to scalr-discuss
Thanks for the bug report. This will be fixed in future versions. Thanks!

Regards,
Daniele

Vitaliy Demidov

Aug 26, 2015, 9:40:17 AM8/26/15
to scalr-discuss
This isn't bug. EBS Magnetic Volumes limits are (Min: 1 GiB, Max: 1024 GiB)
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/EBSVolumeTypes.html
If you had selected another type the appropriate limit would have been applied accordingly.

Daniele Testa

Aug 26, 2015, 9:59:50 AM8/26/15
to scalr-discuss

karl.qu...@ticketfly.com

Sep 8, 2015, 5:00:38 PM9/8/15
to scalr-discuss
@Daniele and Vitaily, the limit is **ONLY** 1TB for _Magnetic_ storage.  If you use SSD / PIOPS, then the limit is 16TB.  This is still a bug.

AS per the announcement here

and the details here:

And since Scalr lets me choose the storage type (magnetic, ssd, pIOPS) i'd expect that the limit changes accordingly, too!

I have attached a screenshot highlighting the 16TiB limit and the appropriate storage classes it applies to.