Uninstall Scalr

Frankyy Milkyy

Feb 18, 2014, 11:49:35 AM2/18/14
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hello
I investigated Open Source Scalr and installed it on one of my EC2 instances using the recommended installer (install.py). Now I've decided to install it on another server, so I don't want the previous installation to be active. Is there a way to uninstall Scalr properly?

Thomas Orozco

Feb 18, 2014, 2:03:49 PM2/18/14
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

If you're using an EC2 instance, the easier way would be to just terminate the instance.

Make sure that you remove the SSH keys that were created by Scalr, as well as the scalr.ip-pool security group.

On a side note, how did the installer work out for you?

Let me know how it goes!

Frankyy Milkyy

Feb 19, 2014, 8:07:21 AM2/19/14
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Do you suggest to stop using that instance? If so, it's bad news because production environment has been set there.. Any other suggestions?
Responding to the side note: installer worked out swimmingly, tons of output and no errors at all. I just answered 3 questions re IP adresses, waited for 10 mins and was able to access scalr via browser.

Thomas Orozco

Feb 19, 2014, 8:20:00 AM2/19/14
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not sure I fully understand your request: you indicated that you wanted to stop using Scalr on that server, right?

But since you don't want to terminate it, what do you intend to use that server for now, just for your database?

I'm glad the installer worked out for you.

Cheers,

Frankyy Milkyy

Feb 19, 2014, 8:25:56 AM2/19/14
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, apologies for unsufficient explanation. I just experimented and installed it on an EC2 instance where tomcat is running and serving my web apps (the instance is backed by EBS). So I have to leave this instance as is and just remove scalr from there.

Thomas Orozco

Feb 19, 2014, 8:41:39 AM2/19/14
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I get it.

Here's the procedure:
- Stop the Scalr daemons
     > msgsender, dbqueue, plotter, poller: use service to stop those
     > Use kill to stop the "SzrMessaging" daemon.
- Remove the Scalr cron jobs (sudo crontab -e)
- Remove the Scalr Python daemons (the init files are /etc/init.d/{msgsender,dbqueue,plotter,poller}. Don't forget to run update-rc.d afterwards (on Ubuntu), or chkconfig (if you're on RHEL / CentOS)
- Remove the the Scalr code (from /opt/scalr)
- Remove the Scalrs logs, from /var/log/scalr

Here again, don't forget to delete the SSH keys and security groups created by Scalr.

Cheers,

Frankyy Milkyy

Feb 20, 2014, 5:43:45 AM2/20/14
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, reporting what I've done. Couldn't you confirm please that I didn't miss anything?

su@instance:~# service msgsender stop
 * Stopping......
su@instance:~# service dbqueue stop
 * Stopping......
su@instance:~# service plotter stop
 * Stopping......
su@instance:~# service poller stop
 * Stopping......

su@instance:~# ps aux | grep SzrMessaging
root     21377  0.0  0.0 306196 14088 ?        Ss   Feb18   0:10 /usr/bin/php -q /opt/scalr/current/app/cron/cron.php --SzrMessaging --piddir /var/run/scalr
root     29741  0.0  0.0   8108   928 pts/0    S+   13:53   0:00 grep --color=auto SzrMessaging

su@instance:~# kill -1 21377

su@instance:~# ps aux | grep SzrMessaging
root     30238  0.0  0.0   8108   928 pts/0    S+   14:05   0:00 grep --color=auto SzrMessaging

crontab -r

su@instance:~# rm /etc/init.d/{msgsender,dbqueue,plotter,poller}

su@instance:~# update-rc.d msgsender remove
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/msgsender ...
su@instance:~# update-rc.d dbqueue remove
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/dbqueue ...
su@instance:~# update-rc.d plotter remove
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/plotter ...
su@instance:~# update-rc.d poller remove
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/poller ...

su@instance:~# rm -rf /opt/scalr

su@instance:~# rm -rf /var/log/scalr

Thomas Orozco

Feb 20, 2014, 8:32:24 AM2/20/14
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

You might want to remove the Scalr database from your MySQL DB, too, and remove Apache and its configuration files.

Scalr also installs rrdcached for statistics graphing. You might want to remove that  too.

Cheers,

Frankyy Milkyy

Feb 20, 2014, 9:07:29 AM2/20/14
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I can see a lot of scalr files still (find / -name '*scalr*'), removing now.
Thank you for your help, Thomas. Hopefully you'll consider writing an uninstalling script to improve usability in the future.

Thomas Orozco

Feb 20, 2014, 9:22:51 AM2/20/14
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
We might, although I must confess this isn't our top priority just now : (

Cheers,