unable to import aws instance

Josue Contreras

Aug 14, 2015, 8:04:29ā€ÆPM8/14/15
to scalr-discuss
I have a scalr running in an ec2 classic instance and have all incoming traffic pretty much open.Ā

I installed the agent to an instance behind a vpc and have open the necessary ports. I still get the following error

Unable to establish outbound (Scalr -> Scalarizr) communication (10.2.105.239:8013): Connection timed out.

=================================================Ā

the console seems to be trying to login with a userĀ

Starting cloud-init: Cloud-init v. 0.7.2 running 'modules:final' at Fri, 14 Aug 2015 22:16:10 +0000. Up 18.40 seconds.
Cloud-init v. 0.7.2 finished at Fri, 14 Aug 2015 22:16:11 +0000. Datasource DataSourceEc2. Up 18.62 seconds
Starting /home/ec2-user/seo/web.js: [ OK ]

[r [H [J

Amazon Linux AMI release 2014.09
Kernel 3.14.19-17.43.amzn1.x86_64 on an x86_64

ip-10-2-105-239 login:

All of my instances have ec2 user disable is there a way to get around thisĀ

Daniele Testa

Aug 14, 2015, 8:53:31ā€ÆPM8/14/15
to scalr-discuss
Hi!

Did you try to login to your Scalr server and verify that it can access your instance on port 8013?Ā
Your should be able to do this by simply telnet'ing to the instance and see if you get a connect.

Regards,
Daniele

Josue Contreras

Aug 17, 2015, 7:07:22ā€ÆPM8/17/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniele,Ā

Honestly this is the first time hearing of and using scalr. Our setup is consist of a chef and jenkins servers to automate deployments. The missing part is creating instance and orchestrate the desirable jobs.Ā

Also we have 2 ~ 3 VPC in 3 regions. And it seems I can't launch instances inside the vpcs I need. I Select "Launch this Farm inside Amazon VPC" , I click on the vpc ID, and save my changes.Ā

I have an AMI register that I associate to an app role. I then add that role to my demo farm when I configure network I can see my private subnets but when I select them it detects they are private but I can't select the vpc router, or my own NAT severs, any suggestions or documentation that is more clear instruction than scalr's own wiki.Ā

Josue Contreras

Aug 17, 2015, 7:28:45ā€ÆPM8/17/15
to scalr-discuss
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to scalr-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
Screenshot from 2015-08-17 16:09:24.png
Screenshot from 2015-08-17 15:59:18.png

Daniele Testa

Aug 18, 2015, 1:25:31ā€ÆAM8/18/15
to scalr-discuss
How did you create the image? Did you use the Role/Image importer in Scalr?

Basically you should follow these steps to get a valid image/role into Scalr:

1. Start a server through the AWS UI.
2. Install the scalr agent.
3. Import the server from the Scalr UI.
4. You now have an image/role ready to be used with Scalr.

Regards,
Daniele
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to scalr-discus...@googlegroups.com.

Josue Contreras

Aug 18, 2015, 4:47:11ā€ÆAM8/18/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Daniele,Ā

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I installed the agent to an instance that was running inside the vpc and cut an ami from it. I then registered the ami to scalr and Ā used it to create the role. But I will try steps you mentioned above.Ā

Josue Contreras

Aug 18, 2015, 12:53:42ā€ÆPM8/18/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniele,Ā

Do you know if anything needs to be configure on the scalr server in order to have the import to work? I have check mark to create an image and have tried to leave it uncheck and I can't select the operating system of my NAT server.Ā
I also click on chef and base and nothing happens there is no operating system listed. The instance is using amazon linux 2014.09.Ā

Josue Contreras

Aug 18, 2015, 12:54:18ā€ÆPM8/18/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
please see image
Screenshot from 2015-08-18 09:38:48.png

Daniele Testa

Aug 18, 2015, 1:18:26ā€ÆPM8/18/15
to scalr-discuss
I am not sure if the Scalr Agent is certified to work on Amazon Linux. Most likely not.
All testing is done with Debian/Ubuntu and RedHat/CentOS systems.

Could you try to import a system running any of those and see if you still have issues?

Regards,
Daniele

Igor Savchenko

Aug 18, 2015, 1:24:04ā€ÆPM8/18/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Josue,

Scalr fully supports Amazon Linux include the version that you're
using? What options are available in OS dropdown?

Regards,
Igor
> "scalr-discuss" group.

Josue Contreras

Aug 18, 2015, 1:36:51ā€ÆPM8/18/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Igor,Ā

Scalariz version Ā 3.9.12

Scalr ServerĀ

813f7ca5
5.8.29 (Open Source Edition)
a7dadcb (Sat, 8 Aug 2015 16:42:14 +0200)
a7dadcb56d8bc385a393047fa6fd561f7dd11925

Josue Contreras

Aug 18, 2015, 1:45:44ā€ÆPM8/18/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Igor there is no operating system listed in the drop-down menuĀ

Igor Savchenko

Aug 18, 2015, 1:52:23ā€ÆPM8/18/15
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Is Amazon 2015.03 available in the list of Operating systems in Admin CP?

If not, please add it manually the same way as 2014.* (2014.09 should
be there).

Regards,
Igor