server-name {X} for GCE provider

Serg Senko

May 2, 2016, 4:15:55 PM5/2/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi,

I would like to create instances GCE with "human readable" names e.x. FARM_NAME + Index,
but in case of GCE the "Instance Name Policy" isn't exist under "governance".
When "Server hostname format" configured under Farm-role -> Advanced -> General this property affect only on OS hostname.

Maybe there is some another solution exist or workaround?

Marc O'Brien

May 3, 2016, 1:03:35 PM5/3/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Serg,

As it turns out, there is presently no way to achieve this due to the way that GCE handles instance names.  Instance Name policy is only available for AWS and OpenStack instances.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Serg Senko

May 4, 2016, 6:01:53 AM5/4/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi,

What do you mean?
Isn't possible from SCALR side or GCE API?

I'm using GCE, AWS (Salt) with consistent naming format and have no problem from API's side.

Igor Savchenko

May 5, 2016, 6:16:29 AM5/5/16
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Serg,

It's related to how Scalr is using GCE and linking GCE resources with
Scalr objects. On EC2 (or any other cloud), you have unique ID that is
used in API to work with the resource and name that is used optionally
by users. On GCE name is used to work with resources via API and scalr
needs it to be always unique, that's why we're using UUID as an
instance name.

P.S. What is your use case for using Scalr? I'm asking because
normally with Scalr you should not care about names in the console.
Scalr itself provides naming, grouping, etc.

Regards,
Igor

Serg Senko

May 5, 2016, 9:01:32 AM5/5/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Igor,

Thanks for your explain.

Hmm... In such Scalr behavior with GCE, the cloud resource name (also network name) and OS hostname are inconsistent or have UUID names for DNS resolving?
As I understand, to avoid it Scalr can provide the DNS provisioning layer?

But in my case, I would like to use Scalr as pure IaaS management system (AWS/GCE) with my SaltStack or any other configuration management.
I would like to replace the "salt-cloud" with lot profiles and maps to Scalr.

P.S.
Thanks Igor for good product.