having some issues building the first base images, account type “AWS CHINA”

Brant Fortest

May 30, 2016, 1:37:32 AM5/30/16
to scalr-discuss

Hi, Team,

Our Scalr Upgraded to latest Release 5.11.18

  • After we added an user in cn-noth-1 (China), account type “AWS CHINA”, everything seemed to be working just fine.

But we are having some issues building the first base images. it seems to be stuck in phase of creating the base image snapshot.

  • Everything under another REGULAR Account is looking good.

Any suggestions about this issue? What am I missing here ? Thanks!

Looking forward to hearing from you ASAP.

Yours sincerely,

Brant

Brant Fortest

May 30, 2016, 12:55:45 PM5/30/16
to scalr-discuss

Hi, Team,

It has been in the process of snapshot creation for almost an hour. Nothing has been created in “ ELASTIC BLOCK STORE / Snapshots “ on AWS CHINA!  What’s happening here? Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Brant

Marc O'Brien

May 31, 2016, 12:13:20 PM5/31/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Brant,

Are you encountering any errors, or is the Role creation dialogue simply stuck?  Have you completed the Shared Roles Sync process: https://scalr-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/x/qwAeAQ ?

Are you able to complete any other actions with the AWS China credentials in cn-noth-1, such as launching a farm using shared roles, or do you have errors or stuck process behavior there as well?

Screenshots of your UI experience and a copy of your /opt/scalr-server/var/logs may be useful.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Brant Fortest

Jun 1, 2016, 10:09:26 AM6/1/16
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Marc,
A snip is attached. no errors coming out. simply stuck.
I don't think we're using public images, so I cannot tell you if it's gonna get stuck there or not with your shared roles. Btw, it's an enterprise edition scalr.
Have you ever created an image in cn-north-1(china) region successfully with Scalr? In community edition Scalr I just set up, I didn't find any shared images under CN-NORTH-1(CHINA) region.
Any particular things/tips we need to pay attention to while implementing instances/stacks in china? Thanks!

Best Wishes,
Brant
Message has been deleted

Marc O'Brien

Jun 1, 2016, 12:27:06 PM6/1/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Brant,

Could you please provide your scalarizr logs: /var/log/scalarizr_*.log as well as the role_builder log in the same folder on the instance?  This should give us a starting point for investigation.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Brant Fortest

Jun 1, 2016, 3:56:16 PM6/1/16
to scalr-discuss

The private key I downloaded from Scalr / SSH Keys cannot login that instance.

Brant

Marc O'Brien

Jun 1, 2016, 4:33:02 PM6/1/16
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brant,

Are you receiving any errors when you attempt to use that key?  In order to set you up for success moving forward, can you clarify who your Sales contact is who provided you access to Enterprise Edition of Scalr?  It appears you are using an outdated version of Enterprise Edition and we need to ensure that you are using the correct support communication channels.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Jay Farschman

Jun 2, 2016, 9:59:37 AM6/2/16
to scalr-discuss
Hey Brant,

I'm with Marc... check the ssh errors using a manual connection with the -vv switch.  That will expose a lot of additional communication and probably give you your answer.

Brant Fortest

Jun 2, 2016, 1:17:00 PM6/2/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi, Marc,
What's your minimum version requirement for AWS China region?
You'd supported AWS China in Scalr since Sep., 2014, right? https://scalr-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/display/docs/2014/09
How can we upgrade to the latest version compatible with AWS China without affecting any existing data on Scalr server?
Any log files we can investigate on Scalr server side? Thanks!

Best Wishes,
Brant

Marc O'Brien

Jun 2, 2016, 1:21:36 PM6/2/16
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brant,

Before we continue any investigation, we need to clarify who your sales contact was that provided access to Scalr Enterprise Edition.  Please let us know who your contact was, or reach out to our Sales team at sa...@scalr.com so that we may re-engage and set you up for success moving forward.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Brant Fortest

Jun 2, 2016, 1:22:20 PM6/2/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi, Jay,
Thanks for your help.
Do you mean we should check the ssh errors with -vv while connecting to the auto-generated instances on AWS China by Scalr?

Best Wishes,
Brant

Brant Fortest

Jun 2, 2016, 2:54:15 PM6/2/16
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Marc,
Just checked again, we have no support for this edition. We're still evaluating it.
1st, I want to make sure that our version now - 5.11.18(6 Apr 2016)  is in the safe zone that wouldn't cause this stuck snapshot  issue in china region.
2nd, I just tried to build an image again, the same problem occurred, and I've attached those log files from the aws china instance. Please take a look.
Thanks!

Best Wishes,
Brant
log.tar
snapshot creation in progress for long long time.PNG

Marc O'Brien

Jun 2, 2016, 3:25:40 PM6/2/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Brant,

We do have insight in to this issue, but we must first confirm the source of this copy of Scalr Enterprise Edition.  Can you please let us know the sales contact with Scalr who provided you this copy of Enterprise Edition?  If you are in the process of an official evaluation of EE we need to communicate and support through the correct channels with your sales contact.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Brant Fortest